Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798547 times)

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1740 on: April 29, 2019, 09:23:23 PM »
anybody know where to find some really small wheels 45mm or under?

Hitek.  Can't remember his username but he's on here somewhere.  45mm for a good price

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #1741 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
I’m a Formula 4 fan.

If it’s the classic shape with a narrower contact patch then I go with the 99’s and if it’s a wider contact patch I do the 101’s.

Currently riding 55mm 101 Lock In’s and I absolutely love them.

I wish they made the radials in 55mm.

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #1742 on: April 29, 2019, 11:49:28 PM »
Does anyone else have a problem with sliding spitfire conical fulls when the graphic is in? Is it just me???

I keep my graphic out - fucks given = 0.0%

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #1743 on: April 30, 2019, 07:45:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone else have a problem with sliding spitfire conical fulls when the graphic is in? Is it just me???
[close]

me either, But for some reason when I have the graphic in they don’t slide! I swapped them back and they slide great!

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1744 on: April 30, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I put them on however I grab them to push the last bearing in.

Who cares? Except pros not riding their sponsors wheels...which is why it started in the first place...

SadandLonely

« Reply #1745 on: April 30, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
I’m an ocd freak when it comes to skate stuff.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1746 on: April 30, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
you can usually remove wheel graphics with hot soapy water and elbow grease if you want to run them the other way with no graphics

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1747 on: April 30, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »

lol wut?

SadandLonely

« Reply #1748 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol wut?
Maybe cuz their coned now...

SweetDickWilly666

« Reply #1749 on: April 30, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
I just know I been riding spitfires since 93 and F4s since they made them and I’m very happy with the Loopholes and I do lots of powerslides and nose and tail slides and the wheels haven’t came close to flat spotting.. so yeah man if your interested I would say definitely pick up a pair and also feels good to support skater owned companies

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I Been riding the 54s with the same graphic but the classic shape and I love them it’s been almost a month and they are holding up super well and are very similar to F4s

Expand Quote

I got these Loopholes 54s about a week or so ago. It's a new shape they're bringing out.
Its like a conical shape but without the side cuts. Round edges but flat in the middle. They have the yellow look with random imperfections in the color, looks even better to me.
The loopholes I've been skating have been great and seem to hold up. They are pretty much F4s and really are enjoying these wheels. Has anybody else been riding them?
[close]
[close]

Better or worse or just around the same as F4's? I been eyeing some 56mm v-cut loopholes because I wanna get on my Nick Boserio shit
[close]
some local guy at my shop works for them and he describes them as “Formula 5”. I looked at the wheels and they do look like they could be the formula 5 but please someone elaborate more on this!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:19:16 PM by SweetDickWilly666 »

SweetDickWilly666

« Reply #1750 on: April 30, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
Yea even the dude at atlas said once they are broken in past that glossy shit they spray on them they are good
Expand Quote
the weird thing for me once I wore them out a bit, about two days, they skated perfectly, before that I was about to toss em as well. Now I prefer them over my F4s.
[close]
I will fuck with loophole next I think...

SadandLonely

« Reply #1751 on: April 30, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
Yea even the dude at atlas said once they are broken in past that glossy shit they spray on them they are good
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the weird thing for me once I wore them out a bit, about two days, they skated perfectly, before that I was about to toss em as well. Now I prefer them over my F4s.
[close]
I will fuck with loophole next I think...
[close]
exactly the dude I’m talking about meet me there sometime...

BMCsteve

« Reply #1752 on: April 30, 2019, 02:23:41 PM »
If loophole could make a wheel that isn't the color of piss or diarrhea, I'd give them a shot

SadandLonely

« Reply #1753 on: April 30, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
If loophole could make a wheel that isn't the color of piss or diarrhea, I'd give them a shot
what wheels do you usually skate?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1754 on: April 30, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

mostly F4's for years but recently Easy Streets.

I have no complaints about the color of F4's even though they aren't technically "white"  but loop hole either looks like this -

or this

SadandLonely

« Reply #1755 on: April 30, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I have no complaints about the color of F4's even though they aren't technically "white"  but loop hole either looks like this -

or this

I don’t know Steve, I like that color...

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #1756 on: April 30, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
something about the color just looks right

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1757 on: April 30, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Did you skate the 99 or 101 f4s? How did the easy streets differ? Very curious about them.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1758 on: April 30, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Did you skate the 99 or 101 f4s? How did the easy streets differ? Very curious about them.

I've skated both but mostly the 99s.  I slipped out a couple times on 101s and it freaked me out.

Easy streets are similar to 99's but they feel a little smoother to me and I like the slide a little better.  you can't go wrong with either though, it's really just preference.  I'll be back on F4's once the tablets drop

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1759 on: May 01, 2019, 06:47:46 AM »
anybody know where to find some really small wheels 45mm or under?

In europe at least Fast Skateboard Wheel Company has made some.

https://fswc.bigcartel.com/

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1760 on: May 01, 2019, 07:46:01 AM »
About a week into skating some tablets I got to try out, my initial thoughts:

I can't see a difference between these and the old tablet shape spitfire released with the original formula 4, but now they come in 99A - previously this wheel was only 101A. The shape is similar to a radial slim,  basically a double-sided lock-in, with a harder edge than a radial slim - they have a smaller width with a larger riding surface.

Lock-ins / Radial Slims

Tablets vs Classics:

Summary: If you skate ledges, and rails, or are a fan of the Bones V2 shape this is probably the wheel for you. Keep in mind that the hard edge might not be the best for slappies and wallrides, but I had no problem rolling over coping and cracks with this wheel, and as usual f4s, they slide like butter. I can see this wheel permanently replacing the lock-ins over time, but that's just my opinion.

More pics:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:29:03 AM by Firebert »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1761 on: May 01, 2019, 08:09:46 AM »

I can't see a difference between these and the old tablet shape spitfire released with the original formula 4, but now they come in 99A - previously this wheel was only 101A. The shape is similar to a radial slim,  basically a double-sided lock-in, with a harder edge than a radial slim - they have a smaller width with a larger riding surface.

Lock-ins / Radial Slims

Tablets vs Classics:

Summary: If you skate ledges, and rails, or are a fan of the Bones V2 shape this is probably the wheel for you. Keep in mind that the hard edge might not be the best for slappies and wallrides, but I had no problem rolling over coping and cracks with this wheel, and as usual f4s, they slide like butter. I can see this wheel permanently replacing the lock-ins over time, but that's just my opinion.

More pics:

BUT DO THEY GO FAST??!!
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #1762 on: May 01, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Lock-ins / Radial Slims

Tablets vs Classics:

More pics:

[close]

BUT DO THEY GO FAST??!!

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1763 on: May 01, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The streets around me are all fucked up and rough. I found some keyframes, but they're 52 mm and I'm not sure they'll do the job.

Anyone got recommendations for a wheel that won't vibrate my feet into numbness if I need to skate a long distance, but won't feel too fucky if I want to ollie stuff and do some flip tricks?
[close]

I have the same problem around me so I went up wheel size from 54mm to 60mm (99a) spitfire classics. They are fine for skating around the city but not great for longer distances. I picked up some cheap Mini logo 58mm (90a) wheels for when I skate to and from work (around 6 miles each way) and want to ollie and do light flip tricks on the way and those actually ended up being perfect.

The size jump took some getting used used to, trick wise, but has been pretty great for speed and getting around. The 90a softness can roll over pretty much anything (unlike the 99a’s) and feels a ton better on my feet for long distance. They do have a weird bounce though, which takes some getting used to.
[close]

I have 90a ML wheels too. They do have a bit of bounce to them. I´m not sure if they are 90 or a bit under actually. But i think the lack of a core in them might make them bouncier too. And sometimes it feels like they flex a little on harder turns.

I am going to get some Ricta cloud 92´s next to test. They have cores.
[close]

i said this elsewhere but imo the 92a rictas are very rattly and you dont really get the benefits of a cruiser nor a regular wheel. i have the 90a ML in 53 and they are much smoother. i cant slide either wheel, but that could just be my lack of skillz

i assume the difference in hardness is very noticeable even if they they're close in a-rating because they use different urethane formulas. i'd believe there are more aspects to how a wheel feels than how deep you can press a pointy metal rod into it.

considering letting go of my 54mm 92a clouds if you're interested.

Thanks for offering wheels, but i live in Finland, so it might cost a bit to get them here.

Been riding the Cloud 92`s a bit now. Rattly: yes a bit, and felt harder than ML 90a`s. As in more harder than the 2 duro difference. A quality wheel still.
Its just that i want more of a cruiser feel. And sound :)
If i only rode rough ditches/spots Rictas could be great. I like that the core in them makes them feel more rigid. Gives me more confidence.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1764 on: May 06, 2019, 12:05:54 PM »
I have these on my cruiser set up

https://pennswood.myshopify.com/collections/cruiser-wheels/products/cruiser-wheels

I never realized it until skating them today, but for 85a they actually powerslide ok, which is weird as I haven’t come across anything under 92a that powerslide at all.

They are listed as 65mm, but when I actually put them side by side with the wheels I’m currently riding on my street set up, they are the same (61mm Oj winkowski wheels) though they are significantly wider (maybe 42 or 44mm wide?).  I’m going to try them on my street set up later to see how they handle sliding ledge tricks, and if they feel significantly clunkier on flip tricks than my Oj’s (which are fairly clunky for flip tricks to begin with).

At any rate, they are $10 a set and come with bearings and are cruiser wheels that slide ok. Not bad for experimenting with

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1765 on: May 06, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »
Man all this wheel talk makes me want those bones easy streets so bad!!

Also, on the real any wheel will slide when you go fast

Was bombing a short street hill that was kinda steep with some spit classics and they slid almost like an f4 99, just a little grippier

For a while I took that idea out of my head cause I noticed how much better f4 and stf were for slides but they are in general use, bombing hills and going fast any wheel will do
yes

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1766 on: May 06, 2019, 11:13:23 PM »
Is there a real difference between tablets and conicals full? Seems pretty much the same to me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1767 on: May 06, 2019, 11:32:09 PM »
Is there a real difference between tablets and conicals full? Seems pretty much the same to me

Conical fulls are much fatter and taper in and have a sidecut. Tablets are completely flat on the side and are much slimmer but still have a wide contact patch given that it's about the width of a radial slim.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1768 on: May 09, 2019, 10:44:55 PM »
would soft wheels wear down quicker than hard wheels?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1769 on: May 09, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »
would soft wheels wear down quicker than hard wheels?
I would say yes
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.