Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798547 times)

Fifty8mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 136
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1800 on: May 14, 2019, 04:19:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anybody know what happened to prizefighter? Did they close down? Never got the chance to try them and iirc they were very well received on here.
[close]

Yea same I wanna know what’s up with them as well

It's done. Cool brand, Hope it comes back.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1801 on: May 16, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
Can anyone tell me what exactly a threaded surface of a wheel do? I heard it makes you slide and or grip. How do you get rid of it?

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1802 on: May 16, 2019, 07:27:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me what exactly a threaded surface of a wheel do? I heard it makes you slide and or grip. How do you get rid of it?

They disappear so quickly Im not sure they really do anything. Just a few sessions and they're done.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1803 on: May 16, 2019, 10:01:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They disappear so quickly Im not sure they really do anything. Just a few sessions and they're done.
thanks

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1804 on: May 17, 2019, 01:11:52 AM »
Just an update for anyone interested.

The V-Cut SML wheels are really similar to Conical F4's.

Highly recommend these SML's if anyone likes the Conicals.

The OG shape are more like the classic Spitfire shape.

Can't really split them in quality. Will continue to use both.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1805 on: May 17, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »
My SML seem to be wearing extremely well. Like, zero change in 3 months of riding. I didn't like them as much the first week, but now they're pretty much the same as my conical fulls. They're between conical and conical fulls and I might try the classic-ish shape next.

sammyscumbag

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1806 on: May 17, 2019, 12:33:21 PM »
I've been riding spitfires for years. Typically the conicals, but i just accidentally picked up a pair of classics. Looking forward to eating shit on rails

afoct5

« Reply #1807 on: May 17, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
I've been riding spitfires for years. Typically the conicals, but i just accidentally picked up a pair of classics. Looking forward to eating shit on rails

I just switched from Conical Fulls back to Classics and to my surprise I didn't really notice much of a difference at all when locking in to grinds on ramp coping, curbs and flat bars. I have noticed my grinds are smoother and I go a bit further though. I also noticed it's easier to roll back in on a mini with fewer hang-ups. I thought I'd end up slipping out or pushing the locked wheel over the coping more often but that just hasn't been the case. Can't speak for high up rounded hand rails though, those days are long behind me. I've got some Tablets on the way but if I don't love those I think I'm sold on Classics now.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1808 on: May 17, 2019, 09:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just switched from Conical Fulls back to Classics and to my surprise I didn't really notice much of a difference at all when locking in to grinds on ramp coping, curbs and flat bars. I have noticed my grinds are smoother and I go a bit further though. I also noticed it's easier to roll back in on a mini with fewer hang-ups. I thought I'd end up slipping out or pushing the locked wheel over the coping more often but that just hasn't been the case. Can't speak for high up rounded hand rails though, those days are long behind me. I've got some Tablets on the way but if I don't love those I think I'm sold on Classics now.

Do you notice a major difference in skating on rougher ground? Or does it feel largely the same. I like how nimble the classics feel, just skeptical of how they'd fare on a rougher spot and locking in (especially on round rails)

afoct5

« Reply #1809 on: May 18, 2019, 03:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you notice a major difference in skating on rougher ground? Or does it feel largely the same. I like how nimble the classics feel, just skeptical of how they'd fare on a rougher spot and locking in (especially on round rails)

For me with the ground I skate I don’t notice much difference in speed. I live in Okinawa and that rounded wheel shape has saved me when rolling over the grates and sewer covers that are everywhere and which more square shaped wheels can more easily get stuck in. I imagine the Conical Fulls or Radials are a bit better if you mostly skate rougher spots though. I can’t speak to how they are on round rails unfortunately. I’m really looking forward to those Tablets though. A contact patch wider than Classics/Radial Slims without the extra bulk of Conicals/Radials might be a nice compromise. Hope that helps you out somehow.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1810 on: May 25, 2019, 06:54:33 AM »
My Spitfire 50mm F4 101D wheels has gone down to 45mm, within like 2 months.
Swapped back to some very old wheels I have, that are 51-50mm. Huge difference!
Because of that little more leverage, the board doesnt feel like its not "keeping" up. Moves more with me :D

Anyway... To maintain a some what consistent wheel size, it seems like you have to A) Buy a wheel thats bigger then you like, or B) Swap wheels often...

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1811 on: May 25, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Super juice will last longer than the hot juice and hold up a little better in corners..

I'm enjoying 56 ricta clouds more than the super juices I've had..
[close]
I really want to try some clouds but they don't look to wide. How do they compare width wise to something like spitfire conicals?

The Ricta clouds aren’t too wide until you hit the 60mm ones, those are very wide. Spitfire conicals that I’ve seen seem slightly narrower but very close to the under 60mm Rictas, but the 60mm Rictas are wider than any conicals I’ve seen and are closest to the 59mm gslides or maybe just a hair narrower than the Oj super juices

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1812 on: May 25, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
I’ve been riding some SML 53mm AG formula for a few weeks now, and I love them. Slightly harder, and feel faster on all surfaces than Spitfire classics, with about the same slide characteristics.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #1813 on: May 25, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »
So I got a set of loopholes and it really sucks cause I can’t get rid of the wobble two of the wheels have, I’m guessing it’s a quality control thing, bad thing is that even though the wobble like hell they slide like the dickens.... oh well guess imma change up to some F4s

Maybe go to an actual shop and use the bearing pusher...but that’s wack
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:41:15 PM by Tony »
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1814 on: May 25, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

For me with the ground I skate I don’t notice much difference in speed. I live in Okinawa and that rounded wheel shape has saved me when rolling over the grates and sewer covers that are everywhere and which more square shaped wheels can more easily get stuck in. I imagine the Conical Fulls or Radials are a bit better if you mostly skate rougher spots though. I can’t speak to how they are on round rails unfortunately. I’m really looking forward to those Tablets though. A contact patch wider than Classics/Radial Slims without the extra bulk of Conicals/Radials might be a nice compromise. Hope that helps you out somehow.

Thanks, on the tablets riht now and I definitely know what you mean about getting stuck easily with square shaped wheels. Unless you really desire that wider contact patch immediately, I think radial slims are better than tablets. Basically same shape, slightly smaller contact patch at first but a few mms in and it's the same. They lock in basically just as good and the very slight taper/sidecut looks a bit more natural to me and maybe shave off some weight.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1815 on: May 28, 2019, 04:12:17 AM »
Probably the best shape ever Is classic fulls.
I think they don't make them anymore right?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1816 on: May 28, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
They put out some Grosso wheels recently that were classic full.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1817 on: May 28, 2019, 01:14:45 PM »
they recently did some classic fulls in the overlay capsule

I've never skated the classic full shape, but radials look pretty close and they might be my favorite

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:16:56 PM by sharkin »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1818 on: May 31, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
Now that it has been a bit, anyone skating bones easy streets and able to speak on their durability?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1819 on: May 31, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
Now that it has been a bit, anyone skating bones easy streets and able to speak on their durability?

On j...soy...’s recommendation I got some around a month ago and have been riding them on one of my set ups a few times a week since. They are pretty awesome! I powerslide and boardslide ledges a lot and haven't gotten any flat spots or chipping. They are 56mm, 99a “fatties” and feel less loud than other 99a’s I’ve ridden but still slide as well as any I’ve tried.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1820 on: May 31, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
SML V-cut wheels are the absolute best wheels I have skated. Followed closely by F4 Conicals.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1821 on: June 01, 2019, 07:48:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

On j...soy...’s recommendation I got some around a month ago and have been riding them on one of my set ups a few times a week since. They are pretty awesome! I powerslide and boardslide ledges a lot and haven't gotten any flat spots or chipping. They are 56mm, 99a “fatties” and feel less loud than other 99a’s I’ve ridden but still slide as well as any I’ve tried.

That's nice to heat they are working for you.....mine are holding up fine less a mini flat spot that cleared up in a day...where I really liked them was power sliding on asphalt....super consistent no hang up.  But I did skate a friend of mines spits in a park and they felt so fast and so I'm trying the tablets, just because I'm a sucker....

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1822 on: June 01, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's nice to heat they are working for you.....mine are holding up fine less a mini flat spot that cleared up in a day...where I really liked them was power sliding on asphalt....super consistent no hang up.  But I did skate a friend of mines spits in a park and they felt so fast and so I'm trying the tablets, just because I'm a sucker....

For sure, thanks a lot! Yeah, I love how they powerslide and they are great on the ledges I usually skate! Haha, I was thinking about checking out the tablets for my smaller set up, but I really need to stop buying wheels for a bit, I’m getting out of control between the easy streets , some giant OJ’s I got and these g-slides I got for cruising on

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #1823 on: June 01, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
I was going to try a set of the Spit OG Classics, but a somewhat more wallet friendly deal on some OJ Elite Hardlines have popped up. Are those any good?

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1824 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »
I was going to try a set of the Spit OG Classics, but a somewhat more wallet friendly deal on some OJ Elite Hardlines have popped up. Are those any good?
their ok. I had a set like a year ago and they weren’t to crazy. Once you break them in they slide pretty well. Could cheat fs 180’s with them. Did a 360 on them once that was clean but that’s just me.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #1825 on: June 02, 2019, 07:09:17 AM »
Expand Quote
(...) OJ Elite Hardlines (...)
[close]
their ok. I had a set like a year ago and they weren’t to crazy. Once you break them in they slide pretty well. Could cheat fs 180’s with them. Did a 360 on them once that was clean but that’s just me.

Pulled the trigger, so I’ll find out soon if they’re for me. I have very little experience with the different wheel brands, always exciting to try something else though.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1826 on: June 03, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the sml. Succulent Big Dreams or something similar? Usually ride 99 Spitfire Formula Fours but was thinking 92 might feel good on the crusty SF streets. Don't want to go full cruiser but want to roll over cracks and rough asphalt.

https://www.smlwheels.com/shop/succulent-cruisers-54mm-92a

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1827 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:54 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that my 80hd chargers are actually pretty fucking slow.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1828 on: June 04, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that my 80hd chargers are actually pretty fucking slow.

I had a couple sets of those a couple years ago and they felt slower than the other soft wheels I rode and I always had problems with the way the bearings would sit in the wheel. It would always feel wobbly, like I had a flat spot, but with no flat spot

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1829 on: June 04, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a couple sets of those a couple years ago and they felt slower than the other soft wheels I rode and I always had problems with the way the bearings would sit in the wheel. It would always feel wobbly, like I had a flat spot, but with no flat spot
I only noticed the slowness. I really like how they look like regular wheels, and they are pristine white, but I gotta face the facts that they don't roll well. Going to switch back to my old zip zinger wheels. These are perfect.