Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797550 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5280 on: July 16, 2022, 01:53:58 PM »
Wow this is fucking my head up, what did your preproduction coreless 95 look like? Mine are quite white, v1 shape. Kam said the pre production coreless 95a should be the same as the production ones... which should be harder than the production 93a in that video zach doelling posted.

I gave my pre-production coreless 95as another go. As per before, they are sooooooo much better riding over imperfect ground. Sometimes there's a bit of a bark when you slide or skrtt, sometimes there isn't. On concrete ledges, they bluntslide basically the same as an f4, and powersliding on most surfaces feels pretty good. But again, they don't work in all scenarios. Definitely a little gummy feeling still and grip on slappies, and even crooked grinds or just 5050s if you don't lock in correctly.

Powell claims that these soft wheels that require some sort of vibration to slide. My guess (and I'm absolutely talking out of my ass here and will likely have egg on my face), is that when this vibration can be initiated, they slide basically just as good as a hard wheel. Powersliding on flatground, landing in a slide on a concrete ledge etc, but maybe in some scenarios like slappies, or slides on other surfaces or even just user error, the vibration doesn't initiate properly and so they still behave like a softer wheel.

Though now that I hear that production coreless 93as are harder than these, and if production coreless 95as are harder than those... they could be really good...

Ohhh fascinating. The vibration in order to slide thing makes sense. I guess that explains why I can slide on some of these wheels very well on old blacktop but not as well on newer black top, brick or other smooth surfaces

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5281 on: July 17, 2022, 07:51:37 PM »
I got my 54mm 93a dragons in on Thursday, 4 days after ordering (Wisconsin- with cheapest shipping direct from skate one) and had a good 3 hour street session on Friday, and an hour at a smooth park today.
I loved the street experience. I probably covered 4 or 5 miles between spots, and loved being able to charge through anything in my path. Nose slides and tail slides felt great with  these. Pinching k grinds did stick a bit but I think if I had wax on the ledge I was skating I could have made it work without the gummy pinching.

At the park, today, I learned what wheel bite is like with these. It messed me up on manuals and deeper carving moves. It made me realize I’ve probably been wheel biting a lot but not noticing it with f4’s. I M riding 147s though, so it is to be expected. I’ll have to keep a little piece of wax on me or dreamed out wheel wells in the future. Also, they really feel gummy by he smooth stuff and less of a precise snapping sound and feel. I’m not too tech though so it’s not going to be a deal breaker.

these are going to make me want to skate street more, and I like that. I’ll stick with these and the 95a bones probably from here on out just because I’m over 40 and have earned a smoother ride

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5282 on: July 18, 2022, 02:50:09 PM »
93a powell dragon formula now available in canada.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5283 on: July 20, 2022, 08:43:48 PM »
I’m worried that 101a wheels will go extinct.

I grew up in the 90-97 option era. It wasn’t good enough. 99-103 was what actually worked.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5284 on: July 20, 2022, 09:18:50 PM »

I grew up in the 90-97 option era. It wasn’t good enough. 99-103 was what actually worked.

I’ve been considering getting some bones wheels, stfs…haven’t been seeing many wheels 52 and down from spitfire. Venture lo’s…I could maybe go rock hard trucks and run 52s, I don’t think 53s would be a go…

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #5285 on: July 20, 2022, 11:26:34 PM »
I grabbed two sets of 52 STF’s….I ride everything tight and with 99’s it’s a bit dead feeling.  I pretty much just skate parks….

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5286 on: July 21, 2022, 12:35:01 AM »
I've got some brand new STF 103a (V4 54mm) and like-new STF 99a (V5 55mm with a really sick graphic) if anyone wants to do a trade.

I've also got like 2 sets of more heavily used STF 103a (from when they were still bright white formula)... that started out 54-55mm, and are probably down to 52-53mm maybe? Would have to measure. Can't remember the shapes, but probably V4 or V5... I'll check if anyone is interested.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5287 on: July 21, 2022, 09:58:33 AM »

Same, and those 95/97 were sticky. Thing is, those old petroleum based 99/101s were the shit...way better slide imo.

If the new dragon formula (ugh) is as good as everyone says, the 95a seems to be the 103a killer for street.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
« Reply #5288 on: July 21, 2022, 10:42:41 AM »
What's up with Ricta hate? I don't skate them but I got nothing against them.
Are they legit inferior or something or is it just skate hipsters desperate to emulate Gifted Hater?

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #5289 on: July 21, 2022, 11:20:49 AM »
Are they legit inferior or something or is it just skate hipsters desperate to emulate Gifted Hater?

Didn't they mostly make longboard stuff for a long time?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
« Reply #5290 on: July 21, 2022, 11:34:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't...think so?
They're an NHS brand so I would think that's unlikely?

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #5291 on: July 21, 2022, 11:53:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't...think so?
They're an NHS brand so I would think that's unlikely?

Yeah looks like I was wrong, I couldn't find anything about them doing longboard wheels so I must have been thinking of something else.  My bad NHS.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5292 on: July 21, 2022, 01:13:07 PM »
ricta always felt like the third wheel (heh) and nothing about their branding draws my eyes at least

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5293 on: July 21, 2022, 01:23:13 PM »
ricta always felt like the third wheel (heh) and nothing about their branding draws my eyes at least

I really didn't care about wheels when I was young. I skated whatever looked cool and didn't know anything about how they differed.

Once, I tried my friends board and realized the Spitfire wheels felt way different (softer and less plasticky) and I really liked them so I got some of my own.

Then the next set I bought after that was Ricta naturals. At that point it just felt like all wheels basically feel the same... And then there is Spitfire which feel different (and look cooler).

It wasn't until Bones STF came out that I really paid attention to wheels again (there's different shapes and formulas?!). Then I just rode those until I got back into skating and F4 were out.

I think Ricta just feels like a high quality version of "the other wheels" while Spitfire and Bones have done a better job carving out their own lanes in skating. Though Ricta seem to have a following with the clouds at least.

I have nothing against them... They are in that OJ tier of "good, but so-what". Especially with the Powell dragon formula being out now I feel like the bar has been raised where even Spitfire (and Bones STF) feel like they are now in a tier of "great, but so-what".

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #5294 on: July 21, 2022, 02:46:37 PM »
I love to try stuff, I'm on speedrings 52 mm slim 99a and I have no complaints. They slide and they last.

While on the subject, they're also doing new softer wheels. I havn't seen any marketing, but there's an Asta and a Shanahan pro wheel.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/53mm-asta-speedrings-clear-orange-slim-95a-ricta-skateboard-wheels?variant=42104543019165

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/53mm-shanahan-crystal-cores-clear-metallic-red-95a-ricta-skateboard-wheels?variant=42104541872285

Edit: There's a description and a promising review on the Shanahan wheel/bottom link.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 03:09:11 PM by bbk »

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5295 on: July 21, 2022, 04:15:54 PM »
I love to try stuff, I'm on speedrings 52 mm slim 99a and I have no complaints. They slide and they last.

While on the subject, they're also doing new softer wheels. I havn't seen any marketing, but there's an Asta and a Shanahan pro wheel.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/53mm-asta-speedrings-clear-orange-slim-95a-ricta-skateboard-wheels?variant=42104543019165

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/53mm-shanahan-crystal-cores-clear-metallic-red-95a-ricta-skateboard-wheels?variant=42104541872285

Edit: There's a description and a promising review on the Shanahan wheel/bottom link.

It honestly sounds a lot like the new Bones 95a (or 97a) from that review:

Hate to say this but I like them better than f4.
Review by Donuts on 15 Jun 2022 review stating

Hate to say this but I like them better than f4.
This is a very interesting wheel, I’ve been a fan of f4 99a and I also have oj nomads which I love. Compared to f4 these slide almost as good, from my powerslide tests on brand new wheels they slide very similar to f4 but it’s easier to get out of a slide and it’s more controlled. It takes a little more effort to get into a slide but very little more. I’m sure when they break in they’ll be just as good. They are easier to slide than my ricta speedrings 99a. Also being 95a they feel harder than 99a f4 and way harder than the nomads. but at the same time they are sooo much smoother and faster than f4 on any terrain, there’s no comparison and they eat any cracks or pebbles. They keep the speed much better than f4 on crusty terrain. My only minor complaint is that they are very loud but i can live with that. The sound of the powerslide is very unique and nasty in a good way. :) it feels so weird to ride a wheel that feels hard as a rock but rides crust like a soft wheel. No bounce when you throw your board on the ground just like a hard wheel. My new favorite wheel.

Like I've said before those Bones 97a (hub) were also reeeeally loud too.

Well, I'm glad Bones/PP aren't the only ones making wheels like this. Hopefully we get an awesome arms race for the best hard crust tackling wheel between all the brands!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5296 on: July 21, 2022, 06:10:26 PM »

I skate ricta from time to time, they're the hardest pure white wheels this side of OJ Elites (and harder than all the browns or SPFs). Grip well and slide great, loud bark. Did I mentioned they're hard? Prefer them over STF these days (STF = too soft, even the 103s these days).

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5297 on: July 21, 2022, 07:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate ricta from time to time, they're the hardest pure white wheels this side of OJ Elites (and harder than all the browns or SPFs). Grip well and slide great, loud bark. Did I mentioned they're hard? Prefer them over STF these days (STF = too soft, even the 103s these days).

Hmm... Maybe I am not understanding your post, but are you saying that OJ Elite 101a feel harder than STF 103a? Because OJ were noticeably softer for me personally. A tad slower, and definitely less slide to them... but handled crumby streets sliiightly better than STF.

I'm curious what attributes make up your definition of "hard" vs. "soft". I know people have talked about formulas changing after being on the shelf for years. Maybe I had a brand new set of OJ, and you had an older one that had hardened a bit while sitting on the shelf of a warehouse/store?

I can't speak to Rictas. Which Ricta formula/type do you skate?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 01:38:33 AM by FuzzGNU »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5298 on: July 21, 2022, 09:49:35 PM »
Suddenly I have an overwhelming urge to buy Rictas

chinotto

• Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #5299 on: July 22, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »

I have shanahan crystal cores. it was my favorite wheel before I tried dragon formula 93a. There's some good and a little bit of bad about it. Good: it's very fast on smooth surfaces, feels super hard like 101+ wheel, goes over cracks and pebbles smoother than the dragon formula, feels very nice and fluid when skating park. Bad: Slow on rough asphalt, doesn't slide as easily and smooth as dragon formulas, can be a little bit sticky when grinding some surfaces, crazy loud.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5300 on: July 22, 2022, 09:54:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hmm... Maybe I am not understanding your post, but are you saying that OJ Elite 101a feel harder than STF 103a? Because OJ were noticeably softer for me personally. A tad slower, and definitely less slide to them... but handled crumby streets sliiightly better than STF.

I'm curious what attributes make up your definition of "hard" vs. "soft". I know people have talked about formulas changing after being on the shelf for years. Maybe I had a brand new set of OJ, and you had an older one that had hardened a bit while sitting on the shelf of a warehouse/store?

Foot vibrating/tooth chattering unforgivingly hard, below that you'd have SPFs, then spit 101s, then 103a STFs (the new batches just arent hard anymore, ever since they tweaked the coloring to the off white).

Were the OJs you skated Elites? Anything bit Elites are soft feeling and the 'from concentrates' (PP Wheel) are spongy.

Ricta dumped using 'marketed' formulas, tho I would imagine their sub brands (crystals, rings, sparx, naturals) are all different. 101 super Slim (Nyjah wheel) is my favorite, 101 Natural mids (feel the same); 99a speed rings are grippy/hard.

Snot, boogerthane cored wheels are the hardest, most unforgiving wheel I've skated recently, plaza/park only.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 10:07:03 AM by Xen »

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5301 on: July 22, 2022, 01:24:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Foot vibrating/tooth chattering unforgivingly hard, below that you'd have SPFs, then spit 101s, then 103a STFs (the new batches just arent hard anymore, ever since they tweaked the coloring to the off white).

Were the OJs you skated Elites? Anything bit Elites are soft feeling and the 'from concentrates' (PP Wheel) are spongy.

Ricta dumped using 'marketed' formulas, tho I would imagine their sub brands (crystals, rings, sparx, naturals) are all different. 101 super Slim (Nyjah wheel) is my favorite, 101 Natural mids (feel the same); 99a speed rings are grippy/hard.

Snot, boogerthane cored wheels are the hardest, most unforgiving wheel I've skated recently, plaza/park only.

Ahhhh, I see now, that makes sense. I haven't skated the new batches of STF yet, I have only skated the bright white ones.

Yes, the OJ I skated were Elite 101a mini-combo. I skated them directly after skating STF 103a (bright white) for years, so I am fully confident in saying the bright white STF 103a were harder. I'm sure that has changed now though with their weird off-white change.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5302 on: July 22, 2022, 02:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ahhhh, I see now, that makes sense. I haven't skated the new batches of STF yet, I have only skated the bright white ones.

Yes, the OJ I skated were Elite 101a mini-combo. I skated them directly after skating STF 103a (bright white) for years, so I am fully confident in saying the bright white STF 103a were harder. I'm sure that has changed now though with their weird off-white change.

Bright white STFs were great. The new batches are just weird, the 103s feel like what you'd think a 99a STF *should* feel like, to me anyway...the 99a feel closer to the 97a spits but a bit more slidey.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #5303 on: July 22, 2022, 04:25:16 PM »
So I've been reading through all of these posts regarding the new Bones formula and it sounds pretty sick.  Which is most comparable to the f4 99A, the 93 or 95?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5304 on: July 22, 2022, 05:48:55 PM »
So I've been reading through all of these posts regarding the new Bones formula and it sounds pretty sick.  Which is most comparable to the f4 99A, the 93 or 95?

93a. It feels a little bit softer but in a welcome way personally since it makes rough stuff feel smoother. It's like a 98a.

They're already out too. Powell Green Dragons.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #5305 on: July 22, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »
And you said the slide is comparable, both on ledges and powerslides in the street?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5306 on: July 22, 2022, 11:11:25 PM »
And you said the slide is comparable, both on ledges and powerslides in the street?

They are slightly harder to initiate slides but in a way that you can get used to. Once you start sliding they are similar in slideability but more controllable. The initiating is slightly worse, but the actual slide and revert are better in my opinion.

From what everyone has said: depending on the combination of surface and the grind you might run into some friction issues, but it's kind of hard to predict. It doesn't seem like any grinds are bad enough to be a deal breaker.

They have so many upsides over F4 99a that it's worth those small trade offs. Just be patient the first week getting used to the slide difference and you will fall in love with everything else about them. These wheels are really something else.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5307 on: July 22, 2022, 11:30:44 PM »
I would consider waiting for the harder ones and some more reviews. I bought the production Powell 93a dragons and have skated them a few times now. Definitely don’t think they’re a full on replacement for f4s. There are definitely grinds and slides on obstacles that I, and my friends who tried them, would consider dealbreakers. Will elaborate on details later. If you want tldr scroll back a few pages, read the review on the 95a coreless and pretend they’re a tad harder and better than those, but still have all the same issues just to a slightly lesser extent. Fantastic wheel, but not a 99 f4 replacement

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5308 on: July 23, 2022, 02:20:05 AM »
Definitely don’t think these production 93as are a full on replacement for f4s.

They're very similar to the pre-production 95as I reviewed a few pages back, but actually feel just a tad harder and have a little more bark/screech than the preproduction 95as which is nice. Though they still have many of the same issues as the 95as.

They are wayyyyyyy better to push around and ride on, and would definitely unlock some spots that would otherwise be unskateable on 99 or 101as. In terms of powerslides and reverts, they feel weird and are less screechy and hard but slide pretty much just as good as 99a f4s when you get used to feel and sound of the slide.

However, like my review of the preproduction 95as (coreless), they have many of the same issues, just to a lesser extent. There's many situations where they still feel like a soft, cruiser/hybrid ish wheel. They will still pitch you harder if you wheelbite than a 97 or 99a f4. And compared to 97 or 99a f4s, they still feel a bit gummier to pop tricks off of which isn't good.

On waxed concrete ledges, they nose/tail/lip/bluntslide basically as good as an f4 99a. But they catch and grip a lot more if you don't lock into a perfect 5050, or pinched grind like a crook or something. They also grip and catch a lot more when climbing onto slappy grinds on concrete curbs, painted or not. On metal edges, and blunt/lipsliding wooden boxes they have a similar issue where they just catch more than a hard wheel.

I think the tldr is: if you're only concerned with initiating powerslides for speed checks/reverts... then they're basically just as good as a hard wheel/f4 once you get used to the feeling. But anything you're doing involves contact with the ledge/curb/rail where the wheel isn't sliding perfectly perpendicular, you may run into some issues because (and again I'm purely guessing here) the soft wheel cannot vibrate exactly at the frequency to replicate the slide of a hard wheel, or cannot initiate that vibration, which is how powell claims they replicate the slide of a hard wheel.

I had some of my friends, who skate f4s, try do some grinds on a ledge and some slappy crooks on this rough ish concrete curb that we all skate. They all found these 93as were significantly grippier than f4s for that. After letting them try my setup for a bit, they all loved how these wheels rode, but none of them would be willilng to switch from f4s to these.

I think if I was skating ground that I really struggled with on 99a f4s, or pretty much deemed unskateable on 99a f4s... then these would be really really good. But if the ground is not too uncomfortable or manageable on 99a f4s, I would prefer the f4s if it involved any kind of slide or grind action. Heck, I think overall I'd even prefer 97a f4s which still feel a lot harder than these 93as when just riding and are more versatile on grinds/slides on a variety of surfaces, albeit not as good as 99a f4s.. Again, like my previous impressions, these 93a powells feel like a hybrid wheel, whereas I'd categorize f4 99as, and even 97as as hard wheels that are pretty versatile.

So yeah, very very good wheel, I'm shocked they could make something of this durometer slide so good... but still, I'd only go for them if 97/99 f4s are giving you serious trouble on whatever you're skating. I would definitely consider trying the production 95a or 97as when they drop, but I've also spent wayyy too much money of these preproduction and production samples up until now.

edit: all the mentions of 97, 99 or 101a I'm referring to spitfire f4s. Also my current f4s are og classics, and wider than the v1 93a 54mm I have, so any grip/friction from the wheel would be purely from the formula, not wheel shape discrepancy

« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 02:37:30 AM by tzhangdox »

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #5309 on: July 23, 2022, 02:19:09 PM »
i have a question about ricta clouds, the 86a precisely. i really love the classic ones, but now they released two new versions chrome core and normal cored clouds. do they feel the same or even better ? i really like the classic older version with the letter on the side so i really fear a change in the feel with urethane + core.
also, i use them primarily when i cruise in downhill because you can really power slide them easier than other soft wheels, though, still they do have a lot of grip. dream wheel. do people have rode the new ones ? what's your thoughts ?

also, did slapers rode 92a for the same purposes ? i didnt tried, i'm on my third set of 86a, about to be so small i will need new ones soon, are 92a still grippy ? i figured maybe they dont get so little so fast, i just pslide them all day on bad roads so they quickly go little but they still are perfect until 47 48 mm starting from 55-56-57.

thanks for the insights