Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797601 times)

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6690 on: August 04, 2023, 05:32:39 PM »
Hard and grippy is SML OG formula all day.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6691 on: August 04, 2023, 06:07:42 PM »
I set up the nano cubics as the hype online and at my shop was next level so i wanted some perspective,
I have skated dragons extensively on all terrains and love them on the streets but at the parks they are just too slow/soft sounding. These sound closer to 99a wheels and still give me the same slide along with not feeling as slow as normal 52mm wheels. For reference i prefer the speed of 54-56 but they often feel heavy for flip tricks for my old legs.
I really like the edge of the wheels being out farther and protecting the nuts/axles.
I've been on them a few days and they feel great and I plan to keep skating them.

I just set up some Spitfire Radial Full 97 duro 54 mm wheels - also have the 97 duro Classic 56 mm and Conical Full 54 mm size / shape wheels - mainly for a slippery new park in my area, so although they are almost silent on new bearings as well, they don't feel particularly slow and still do everything I would usually do on the normal 99 duro F4 wheels.

Curious if you had tried any F4 97 duro wheels in any shape / size and how they compare to those ones you have, especially these Radial Full 54 mm wheels which are symmetrical, but still cover the nuts just nicely.  Might be a little too much inside as I can see they reduce the hanger width considerably though.

When I tried them on a very slippery wood / skatelite type surface, they held up well too, but I can understand not everyone would find them to their tastes.

Thinking that would be good info for @Samsquantch and @Creachteach too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6692 on: August 04, 2023, 07:06:11 PM »

To add to that, this is worth a look, even if most of you have already posted there or seen it:

Bones X formula thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123816.150

Expand Quote
Anyone tried spitfire 97a and x97? I'm curious if I should try spitfires 97a option after my x97 are done.
[close]

I have both, and for me, the spits just feel  soft and a bit gummy. Like a basic 97a without any kind of other benefit.

X97 feel ‘lively’. To me they feel way faster (I think others have tested this), slide better, and just all round feel better.

The only downside to them (I’ve been told) is when they rub on unwaxed metal- the consensus is they are stickier.

But I don’t, and I really enjoy them.

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #6693 on: August 05, 2023, 12:04:00 AM »

I was a long time Speedlab rider for the same reason. The 57mm Bombshells were my favorite. They’re fast and grip well.

I’ve only briefly ridden the x97s on somebody else’s board, but they gripped well. They still have that soft feeling like dragons, but I think they’re fine for bowl riding

The X97s don't feel moderately as soft as Dragons. They def have more of a hard wheel feel.

rikki

« Reply #6694 on: August 05, 2023, 12:08:13 AM »
Oh, and someone mentioned OJ Elite Hardline 99 – I second them being pretty awesome on plywood / slippery indoors as they do grip more than F4 99s but are still fast as. One of my favorite wheels for bowl riding.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6695 on: August 05, 2023, 02:33:45 AM »
Have the Powell Nanocubics been discussed here ?

It was painful to watch the whole thing. It looks like Powell acknowledged the wide wheels trend and pushed it a little further and has a solution for these wide wheels making your hanger so tiny (radial full are too big for me).
With a new 97A Dragon formula.

Any feedback ?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #6696 on: August 05, 2023, 03:40:44 AM »
I'm not fully sold on them. I'm certainly not trying to do coconut wheelies and don't want to skate anything below 54 mm. Plus you gotta ride em graphics out to utilize them properly from my understanding quickly skimming through that video. That being said at least it's just blue text and not some corny green dragon. And I did skate them for like 30 seconds on my friends board the other day and they felt okay but didn't do enough with them to form a proper opinion. Yet here am I still posting it... What  a bunch of wasted text

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6697 on: August 05, 2023, 07:16:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Let's say a person was skating their new (but broken in) F4 99a Radials, slipped out in the bowl and slammed HARD, is now spooked, and is looking for something really grippy that still carries speed, in 55 to 57mm range, what would Pals recommend?

This person isn't super keen on SPF's, too hard outside of the park, or Dragons,  too soft and boring in the park.

Speedlabs? X97's? Bones shapes all have super narrow contact patches. Need GRIP!
[close]

Cherrys
Smokebombs 56mm 99s
Felt softer than 99 and performed well on smooth concrete
[close]

someone refresh my memory - cherrys are poured by acid or am i getting that wrong?

edit: found this
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Felt like changing something so I got some cherries 99 56mm classic shape.

F4s are pretty much the feeling of skateboarding to me, but these feel great enough to skate them down and get my moneys worth. Nice creamy color, feel softer than 99 f4s but they slide without too much effort.  not sure who pours them says made in USA
[close]

Man I really want to try some cherries. I’m curious but most seem to be 101 but I was curious about the slide on the 99 they have. I thought I read they was poured in TX. I could be wrong.
[close]

Poured out of aend industries in hutto Texas
[close]

I assume! I asked the cherries insta and they kinda danced around telling me. They said it was the same people that make autobahn, hazard, snot and some other bs, and then when I asked if it aend they just didn’t reply, so I assume it’s the same scooter wheel factory in hutto
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6698 on: August 05, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Let's say a person was skating their new (but broken in) F4 99a Radials, slipped out in the bowl and slammed HARD, is now spooked, and is looking for something really grippy that still carries speed, in 55 to 57mm range, what would Pals recommend?

This person isn't super keen on SPF's, too hard outside of the park, or Dragons,  too soft and boring in the park.

Speedlabs? X97's? Bones shapes all have super narrow contact patches. Need GRIP!
[close]

Cherrys
Smokebombs 56mm 99s
Felt softer than 99 and performed well on smooth concrete
[close]

someone refresh my memory - cherrys are poured by acid or am i getting that wrong?

edit: found this
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Felt like changing something so I got some cherries 99 56mm classic shape.

F4s are pretty much the feeling of skateboarding to me, but these feel great enough to skate them down and get my moneys worth. Nice creamy color, feel softer than 99 f4s but they slide without too much effort.  not sure who pours them says made in USA
[close]

Man I really want to try some cherries. I’m curious but most seem to be 101 but I was curious about the slide on the 99 they have. I thought I read they was poured in TX. I could be wrong.
[close]

Poured out of aend industries in hutto Texas
[close]
[close]

I assume! I asked the cherries insta and they kinda danced around telling me. They said it was the same people that make autobahn, hazard, snot and some other bs, and then when I asked if it aend they just didn’t reply, so I assume it’s the same scooter wheel factory in hutto

ah bless, thank you for doing the legwork on that

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6699 on: August 05, 2023, 04:56:01 PM »
After much deliberation, went in a bit of a different direction...

I really like my F4 56mm Conical fulls,  and I've never had them slip out, so I went down to the local and grabbed spitfires widest wheels: 57mm lock in full. These things are beastly hunks of urethane, should be decent.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6700 on: August 05, 2023, 08:39:05 PM »

I really like my F4 56mm Conical fulls,  and I've never had them slip out, so I went down to the local and grabbed spitfires widest wheels: 57mm lock in full. These things are beastly hunks of urethane, should be decent.

Going the full 40+ mm width wheels just works so well on wider trucks too.

I got the Radial Full 58 mm (which went to someone else) but then have the 54 mm on 149s and they just look a little big for the width of the truck and board, so I am thinking they will go on at least 159s or more likely 169s on something like your current setup.

Those Lock In Fulls really do look good and well sized on that setup!!!

Samsquantch

« Reply #6701 on: August 05, 2023, 08:50:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Going the full 40+ mm width wheels just works so well on wider trucks too.

I got the Radial Full 58 mm (which went to someone else) but then have the 54 mm on 149s and they just look a little big for the width of the truck and board, so I am thinking they will go on at least 159s or more likely 169s on something like your current setup.

Those Lock In Fulls really do look good and well sized on that setup!!!

Thanks! I agree, love the look of this setup, the Radials weren't doing it for me.

Messing around on the front street and these things feel fantastic, I've never had more predictable powerslides. Board didn't feel like a total hog either, still ollied nice.

Headed to the park tomorrow morning. Be taking it easy though, back is still a bit buggered from slamming. 

Picked up some rails too

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #6702 on: August 06, 2023, 09:02:36 AM »
I joined the old man club and impulsively bought some 58mm dragons. Skated them for the first time at Marginal Way and I was pretty impressed with them. They grip really well and I had no problem going as fast as I do on my F4s.

I also skated my driveway which is a crusty asphalt hill.  This was a blast because I could bomb the hill then power slide at the bottom with ease. It’s such a weird and fun feeling being able to power slide a soft wheel so well.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 10:30:51 AM by bombsaway86 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #6703 on: August 06, 2023, 10:00:58 AM »
i was disgusted to see prod skating x formulas.......

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #6704 on: August 06, 2023, 08:45:18 PM »
Thought some of you may not have seen this and would be interested…

How stuff is made skateboard wheels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2OeJdvl3fig&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6705 on: August 06, 2023, 09:05:55 PM »
I joined the old man club and impulsively bought some 58mm dragons. Skated them for the first time at Marginal Way and I was pretty impressed with them. They grip really well and I had no problem going as fast as I do on my F4s.

I also skated my driveway which is a crusty asphalt hill.  This was a blast because I could bomb the hill then power slide at the bottom with ease. It’s such a weird and fun feeling being able to power slide a soft wheel so well.
yup. They’re that good.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6706 on: August 07, 2023, 06:46:23 PM »
I’m thinking of trying a set of Snots. How are they?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

frtzgn95

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6707 on: August 08, 2023, 02:13:49 AM »
i am really curious about the longetivity of dragons. how durable are they?

in turkey, there are no spitfire and dragons, so i bought some bones stf. i want to know to longetivity. when i find a dragon, if it will last me for 3 months, i have to buy 4 pairs of them for a year coz it is hard to find. i texted a shop, they were selling skateone products, they said "we will try to ship some of these dragons."

i will buy 56 mm for the durability. i wish it could be easier to find skate products in turkey.

edit: i was riding cruiser for months and now i hate the hard wheels on asphalt. i feel like i am almost stopping on downhill with this hard wheels and they are too loud. i want dragons.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6708 on: August 08, 2023, 04:17:20 AM »

I like mine a lot. If you're one of those F4 evangelists I don't think they'll be for you, but if you don't mind a more "traditional" feeling wheel Snots are great imo.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6709 on: August 08, 2023, 05:44:49 AM »

Autobahn, hazard and several other companies use the same facility as they do, if your just cruising around or doing slappies or some shit they make a decent soft wheel, but I can’t get behind a wheel I can’t back tail in the streets, until they figure out a hard formula that doesn’t flatspot, feel chalky or slow as shit I can’t get behind aend’s harder wheel l outputs
You want some queso?”

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #6710 on: August 08, 2023, 07:16:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Autobahn, hazard and several other companies use the same facility as they do, if your just cruising around or doing slappies or some shit they make a decent soft wheel, but I can’t get behind a wheel I can’t back tail in the streets, until they figure out a hard formula that doesn’t flatspot, feel chalky or slow as shit I can’t get behind aend’s harder wheel l outputs

In enjoyed them when I first got them. I gave these 3-4 months. They kind of just got chewed up with weird divots and cracks. They look and feel more worn than older wheels I have. These were the 99a but they felt closer to a bones 100s. I still would like to give the standard swirls a try.

But honestly, my main complaint is that with these wheels yellowed, So on board, they just look like regular ass wheels. Thats probably the main reason I took them off.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6711 on: August 08, 2023, 08:56:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In enjoyed them when I first got them. I gave these 3-4 months. They kind of just got chewed up with weird divots and cracks. They look and feel more worn than older wheels I have. These were the 99a but they felt closer to a bones 100s. I still would like to give the standard swirls a try.

But honestly, my main complaint is that with these wheels yellowed, So on board, they just look like regular ass wheels. Thats probably the main reason I took them off.

These are the cored ones right? For some reason they have dialed in the cored wheel over there, i haven’t messed with the cored ones but I have a pair of the 99a on a cruiser I use to go the the corner store, they are like 58s though so I don’t get fucked by a pebble with a 6 pack in my hand, like I said they make a decent softer wheel, but it’s not somethin I’m gonna recommend for street skating, I’m sure people make them work, look at David Langston, but I’d rather ride something from creative, or see what’s up with the new loops, if I didn’t wanna ride spitfire
You want some queso?”

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #6712 on: August 08, 2023, 09:20:43 AM »
It might just be me but I find the shape of the wheel has more to do with the slide than the size of the contact patch. A super round wheel like a spitfire classic or radial will slide easier while a square wheel like a tablet will be grippier.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #6713 on: August 09, 2023, 09:01:22 PM »
Has anyone skated the Spitfire Sapphires? I know they're a cruiser but wondering if they have any slideability.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6714 on: August 09, 2023, 09:49:49 PM »
Has anyone skated the Spitfire Sapphires? I know they're a cruiser but wondering if they have any slideability.

The cruiser thread has some info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=38836.msg4063742#msg4063742

I’ve been toying around on the 54mm Sapphires, but I’m not really sure what they’re good at yet. Felt fine on rough pavement, but not crusty stuff, super grippy on smooth concrete. Maybe they’d be good at a slippery indoor park or an old park with a bit of tooth in the surface? Bricks, hockey rink, or other odd slippery terrain? I would probably get the 58s if I did it again.

They’re pretty, but much less so once that gap at the edge of the core starts opening up. Kind of a weird novelty wheel to me, but I’ll keep ‘em around for warm up laps and parking lots. Little kids think they’re really cool.

Samsquantch

« Reply #6715 on: August 10, 2023, 03:33:10 PM »

Two sessions on the Lock in fulls and I'm calling it, I'm just not macho enough for these wheels. Regret getting the 57's and not the 55's. They're fast and smooth, but they make my setup too much of a pig to be fun outside of transition. Respect to the Kaders and T-Funks who kill it on giant wheels, I'm too much of a wuss.

Threw on some 54mm X97's and instantly skated better. First time having a solid session on the X97's at the outdoor skatepark and I'm sold (had this set from skating indoor last winter). They're a bit quiet on smooth concrete,  but they hold speed really well. They sound slow but roll fast. This set has pretty broken in sidewalls from coping and ledges and I had no issues with sticking. These are staying on.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #6716 on: August 10, 2023, 05:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The cruiser thread has some info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=38836.msg4063742#msg4063742

Expand Quote

I’ve been toying around on the 54mm Sapphires, but I’m not really sure what they’re good at yet. Felt fine on rough pavement, but not crusty stuff, super grippy on smooth concrete. Maybe they’d be good at a slippery indoor park or an old park with a bit of tooth in the surface? Bricks, hockey rink, or other odd slippery terrain? I would probably get the 58s if I did it again.

They’re pretty, but much less so once that gap at the edge of the core starts opening up. Kind of a weird novelty wheel to me, but I’ll keep ‘em around for warm up laps and parking lots. Little kids think they’re really cool.

[close]

Thanks. Some good reviews and info in that thread for wheels.

rikki

« Reply #6717 on: August 10, 2023, 10:43:30 PM »

Threw on some 54mm X97's and instantly skated better. First time having a solid session on the X97's at the outdoor skatepark and I'm sold (had this set from skating indoor last winter). They're a bit quiet on smooth concrete,  but they hold speed really well. They sound slow but roll fast. This set has pretty broken in sidewalls from coping and ledges and I had no issues with sticking. These are staying on.

Good to hear, Imma give my X97s another chance at my crusty local after a not-so-impressive first sesh with them a while ago.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6718 on: August 14, 2023, 04:10:37 PM »
Brave. Bold.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6719 on: August 14, 2023, 06:54:56 PM »
Brave. Bold.

Extremely ballsy…. Damn he’s piqued my interest, I’ve only skated the 103 and they were so plasticy feeling, I’m in between wheels maybe I’ll play around a lil bit
You want some queso?”