Author Topic: Post Your Cruiser  (Read 371318 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
Re: Post Your Cruiser
« Reply #1950 on: August 06, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »
Yeah I had 55mm Superjuice before these and they were great. But I am DLX fan boy and really wanted these 80HDs to work.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1951 on: August 06, 2023, 09:07:44 PM »
Yeah I had 55mm Superjuice before these and they were great. But I am DLX fan boy and really wanted these 80HDs to work.
were the 80hd a newer pair? I swear they were claiming they have changed somewhat recently

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1952 on: August 06, 2023, 09:36:20 PM »
Yep. The “reformulated” ones.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1953 on: August 07, 2023, 01:44:08 AM »
Been wanting to try shaping my own board for a while now. Got an uncut blank and aimed for something that would fall between a Zig Zagger and Zip Zogger. ~9.75" at the widest point, nose and tail like the Zogger. Happy enough with it for being cut with a jigsaw and orbital sander.

Chrome Paint and yellow on top (pro tip, gloss clear makes chrome spray paint look like gloss silver :/ )

"Final" Setup

9" Thunder standards
1/8" Thunder risers
60mm Slimeballs
Bones Reds

I initially set it up hoping to not need risers, but with the big ass wheels the wheelbite was rough. Already thinking about some 55mm Mini Super Juices... rides good tho.
Looks awesome
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1954 on: August 07, 2023, 02:53:55 PM »
Yep. The “reformulated” ones.

That’s a bummer. I haven’t used my 80HDs yet, but maybe I’ll save them for the winter now.

I’ve been toying around on the 54mm Sapphires, but I’m not really sure what they’re good at yet. Felt fine on rough pavement, but not crusty stuff, super grippy on smooth concrete. Maybe they’d be good at a slippery indoor park or an old park with a bit of tooth in the surface? Bricks, hockey rink, or other odd slippery terrain? I would probably get the 58s if I did it again.

They’re pretty, but much less so once that gap at the edge of the core starts opening up. Kind of a weird novelty wheel to me, but I’ll keep ‘em around for warm up laps and parking lots. Little kids think they’re really cool.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1955 on: August 07, 2023, 03:43:00 PM »
Appreciate the feedback on the Sapphires. I think I'll just stick to the 97a F4s for indoor parks, outdoor crust and Superjuices for cruising and real fucked up terrain. I'll see what the DLX warranty dude says though.

Also, looks like in Fall Spitfire have a big cruiser wheel coming out. its 80HD 60mm but more in the shape of an OJ cruisier. Looks a tad wider than the 60mm Superjuices. Hopefully not the same sharp edges as a Hot Juice.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #1956 on: August 07, 2023, 07:22:10 PM »
Ooh. I’d give that a try.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
« Reply #1957 on: August 09, 2023, 09:34:05 AM »
Anybody try the dragon wheels for cruisers? The oj keyframes have been the go to wheel for me.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

intendedreceivers

« Reply #1958 on: August 09, 2023, 09:39:33 AM »
If you like your Keyframes, you will love Dragons. 58mm V6 if you want a “normal” wheel shape, or the 60mm Rat Bone version if you want something extra wide or heavily offset.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #1959 on: August 09, 2023, 05:01:02 PM »
Anybody try the dragon wheels for cruisers? The oj keyframes have been the go to wheel for me.
I rocked the Keyframes for YEARS and they are still an awesome wheel but the Dragons are superior in my eyes. Ride like a cruiser wheel (very similar to the Keyframes) but slides like a normal wheel.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1960 on: August 14, 2023, 10:19:53 AM »
I actually just setup a 7.75 cruiser with 55mm dragons and some throwaway tensor 8.25.

On a first run through my neighborhood I found them pretty vibratey for a cruiser. Probably good if you want to do tricks, but for cruising I found it a bit much so I put some soft risers on. Now it's perfect. As quiet as the Ricta clouds I've had in the past on cement, but the bounce is way better. I couldn't stop myself so I went to a parking lot and fucked around for 30 minutes late at night after setting it up. Ollies were effortless, great curb hopper.

The pizza deck did come with some delamination on the tail, but who gives a fuck it's already razor tailed. I do love the shape, just enough of a nose to nose manual comfortably and the wheelbase is perfect.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:27:33 AM by AlumarX »

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #1961 on: August 17, 2023, 08:09:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I actually just setup a 7.75 cruiser with 55mm dragons and some throwaway tensor 8.25.

On a first run through my neighborhood I found them pretty vibratey for a cruiser. Probably good if you want to do tricks, but for cruising I found it a bit much so I put some soft risers on. Now it's perfect. As quiet as the Ricta clouds I've had in the past on cement, but the bounce is way better. I couldn't stop myself so I went to a parking lot and fucked around for 30 minutes late at night after setting it up. Ollies were effortless, great curb hopper.

The pizza deck did come with some delamination on the tail, but who gives a fuck it's already razor tailed. I do love the shape, just enough of a nose to nose manual comfortably and the wheelbase is perfect.

WOW this is a beauty

I need to put myself together a cruiser too

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #1962 on: August 17, 2023, 09:23:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

🔥🤟🔥🤟

hiljentaa

• Rep: 315
« Reply #1963 on: October 18, 2023, 07:43:59 PM »
Started skating to work a bit. It's 3 miles and a bunch of small hills.

Currently skating some 78a 56mm Clouds, which are great for flinging rocks tf out the way, but I am pretty terrified to get cookin on these things because I can't slide em.

Thinking about getting something harder that I can slide to speed check, but still not horrendous to ride over chunky ground. Dragon, X97 or maybe 97 F4 comes to mind.

Dragons are probably best application because I'm probably not going to skate this board normally. Do they make a 56 or 55 V4 Dragon?

Some 56 Radial Fulls sound fun though too...

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #1964 on: October 18, 2023, 07:53:16 PM »
Going from 78a to 93a+ is going to be a rude awakening.

Maybe try Powell G slides 85a. I haven’t but may try once my Rough Riders go but they last long.

I use 59mm 80a Rough Riders with 55 ace classics on my crusier and I couldn’t imagine a smoother ride on the most craggy of streets.

If you want an all around soft wheel OJ Key Frames are a do all and you can power slide them with some practice.

I also have Dragons and on rough ground they are no match for Rough Riders. However you can’t slide or slappy Rough Riders.

I’m a big fan of Powell soft wheels.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1965 on: October 18, 2023, 08:23:57 PM »

Currently skating some 78a 56mm Clouds, which are great for flinging rocks tf out the way, but I am pretty terrified to get cookin on these things because I can't slide em.

Thinking about getting something harder that I can slide to speed check, but still not horrendous to ride over chunky ground. Dragon, X97 or maybe 97 F4 comes to mind.

Dragons are probably best application because I'm probably not going to skate this board normally. Do they make a 56 or 55 V4 Dragon?

I used to skate about 3 to 5 kms to work a lot with one job a while back and I got used to the route with a few hills and often not a lot of room to move, so having around 78 to 87 duro soft gummy wheels was ok for me for the most part - way easier than harder / more normal feeling wheels, but finding the exact right wheel might be more just down to trial and error.

The trucks on the cruiser boards I had were loose enough to almost slalom (go side to side a bit more) down one main hill but having wheels hard enough to slide to stop or avoid sudden issues was more of a pain, so I went with the big soft gummy things on that one, then had to almost run out / grab the board a couple of times when cars came out or something ended up in the way.

I guess I wasn't going that fast anyway, not compared to some of those crazy hill bomb type of situations, so as long as I didn't end up going faster than I could run out, everything was ok.

I did have some 60 mm 92 duro wheels that worked really well, could still slide a bit as needed and were big enough to roll over rocks and cracks well but I don't think they make them anymore.

The big wide 97 duro Spitfires and some other mid 90s duro wheels should still do the job and allow you to slide a bit more as well, so depending on how big you want to go or whether you have wheel wells / risers or whatever, you can rig up something quite fun that will still serve you well enough for everything to get from A to B, ollie up gutters if needed, roll over cracks, rough ground and be a fun ride rather than a hell ride.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1966 on: October 18, 2023, 09:32:06 PM »
If just cruising, and need to powerslide. Def just get the biggest fattest dragons you can find

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #1967 on: October 18, 2023, 10:02:04 PM »

Been doing this for years now. I also skate at work on my breaks, but mostly just rolling around the lot, pop a few kickflips I don't really try to land on, slap the curb a few times to blow off some steam and go back inside sort of thing.

It's gonna depend on the ground on your route a lot in determining what's going to be the best choice. If it's rough ground, wide open without a ton of traffic side roads kinda thing with a lot of steady pushing then you'll want something softer like a dragon. It'll make things smoother and faster and you'll conserve a surprising amount of energy vs a hard wheel. If it's more urban where you're spending a good part of the route on the sidewalk and have intersections, pedestrians, dogs, etc to contend with then I find that cruiser wheels or even 54 dragons can almost get you going too fast, especially coming off a hill. It doesn't help that they're a lot quieter so others are also less aware of your presence, though Ive had enough goofballs in headphones blindly step into the bike lane without even glancing over their shoulder that I'm not sure if it matters. Nothing like jumping off your board at 3 push speed with a 30 pound bookbag on because someone decided that the entire fuckin sidewalk just wasn't enough for them.

Anyways, my perfect wheel for this application is the 56mm v cut NFG crust formula, but they're out of business so good luck finding a set. I have 56 radials and they are good, but get the 99 the 97 is just a worse version and doesn't smooth things out as much as I'd like. Also don't write off OJ...this time of year one of my commute setups is what I call the acorn crusher and I run 56mm Creature/OJ 97a bloodsuckers on it. Theyre just slightly more forgiving than a hard wheel but still slide really well (especially once broken in) and the hardline shape is one of the best for chunky wheels. There's a bunch of oak trees in my neighborhood and what they don't push to the side they just monster truck over.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 315
« Reply #1968 on: October 19, 2023, 07:09:23 AM »
Appreciate the responses guys. For reference this is in Colorado, about half bike path, half sidewalk/road.

The hills aren't very steep, but they are big enough to get going faster than run-out speed, which is why being able to slide/speed-check is important to me.

The 56 and 58 conical Dragons seem too skinny. The 60 Rat Bones would probably be great, but I don't like the shape.

Tempted by some 58 97a Radial Fulls...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 02:10:21 PM by hiljentaa »

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1969 on: October 19, 2023, 07:12:22 AM »
That reminds me of the one time I decided to take my 8.5 popsicle wit 60mm rictas down a very hilly bike path in Colorado, and on the way back to the car I had to run off probably doing close to 15-16 mph. Don't recommend it lol

Coldpizza

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1970 on: November 01, 2023, 06:43:30 PM »

Unabashed plug:
My homie is one of the owners of Halloween Stickers Skateboards and he had me do a graphic for ‘em.
I was stoked to not only make the art for this cruiser, but help pick out the shape as well.
Figured I’d post it up if anyone was in the market and looking for a fun shape. Cheers y’all!

https://halloweenstickersskateboards.bigcartel.com/product/numbskull-cruiser

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1971 on: November 01, 2023, 07:39:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Been doing this for years now. I also skate at work on my breaks, but mostly just rolling around the lot, pop a few kickflips I don't really try to land on, slap the curb a few times to blow off some steam and go back inside sort of thing.

It's gonna depend on the ground on your route a lot in determining what's going to be the best choice. If it's rough ground, wide open without a ton of traffic side roads kinda thing with a lot of steady pushing then you'll want something softer like a dragon. It'll make things smoother and faster and you'll conserve a surprising amount of energy vs a hard wheel. If it's more urban where you're spending a good part of the route on the sidewalk and have intersections, pedestrians, dogs, etc to contend with then I find that cruiser wheels or even 54 dragons can almost get you going too fast, especially coming off a hill. It doesn't help that they're a lot quieter so others are also less aware of your presence, though Ive had enough goofballs in headphones blindly step into the bike lane without even glancing over their shoulder that I'm not sure if it matters. Nothing like jumping off your board at 3 push speed with a 30 pound bookbag on because someone decided that the entire fuckin sidewalk just wasn't enough for them.

Anyways, my perfect wheel for this application is the 56mm v cut NFG crust formula, but they're out of business so good luck finding a set. I have 56 radials and they are good, but get the 99 the 97 is just a worse version and doesn't smooth things out as much as I'd like. Also don't write off OJ...this time of year one of my commute setups is what I call the acorn crusher and I run 56mm Creature/OJ 97a bloodsuckers on it. Theyre just slightly more forgiving than a hard wheel but still slide really well (especially once broken in) and the hardline shape is one of the best for chunky wheels. There's a bunch of oak trees in my neighborhood and what they don't push to the side they just monster truck over.

i’ve been doing these early morning walks. i guess part to just really cement in the fact that i am old as fuck, and then also just quiet time. i get up early and there are very few cars. i’ve considered getting a soft quiet wheel, just because i don’t want to make a bunch of noise.
maybe quiet wheel hill bombing in the dark is just a really terrible idea.
anyways, the notion of skating for transportation is so rad. this friend of mine, who was very passionate about skating, but lacked natural talent, would skate to school, often switch. full switch push. and the. he’d just clown the fuck out of us for switch mongo. anyways, skating for transportation is just so sweet

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1972 on: January 01, 2024, 11:08:28 AM »
Re post from 9 inch deck thread

I just got run over by a car while bombing a hill. I was for 3 weeks in the hospital asleep for 2. Anyway it was a perfect moment to set up this Krooked board that I bought since 2022 with @Freelancevagrant at Austin. The only thing is that I got to take the wheel at the front since it got all the way there while being run by the car.

Krooked 9.25 Drehobl deck.
Thunder 161 with 94a Indy bushings
Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1973 on: January 01, 2024, 11:18:24 AM »

I just got run over by a car while bombing a hill. I was for 3 weeks in the hospital asleep for 2. Anyway it was a perfect moment to set up this Krooked board that I bought since 2022 with @Freelancevagrant at Austin. The only thing is that I got to take the wheel at the front since it got all the way there while being run by the car.

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad

That Drehobl shape is better than I imagined it to be. The short tail always stopped me from buying but on a cruiser who cares.

I think Ace trucks would set it off. Also, maybe get some Rough Riders and you can switch depending on if you want to do tricks or just cruise.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1974 on: January 01, 2024, 04:10:38 PM »

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad

Jesus, Mate... glad you're alive... Tell us more about that accident...

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1975 on: January 01, 2024, 06:21:22 PM »
Expand Quote

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad
[close]

Jesus, Mate... glad you're alive... Tell us more about that accident...

Thanks dude! @Frank and Fred
What happened was that I had been filming all day and we were over so I wanted to go to my car to get my jacket. I bombed a hill that I bombed every day I was there. I don't remember anything what happened but I was told by my friends and later on the doctors. The hill passes by a 4 lane intersection where the other ones have to pass a stop sign so they can go through it. This car went right through without stopping and ran me over. I laid unconscious for a bit and returned walking to the skate shop walking. My friends asked me what had happened and I had trouble talking clearly with people and eventually threw up blodd all over my sshirt. They called an ambulance and I refused to get in. They later took me to the hospital in my car to meet up with my family.

That night (and next morning) I was operated where they opened my cranium in 5 different places to remove the blood clots that had formed in my brain. I stayed in a Coma for 2 weeks and then all of the sudden I regained conscious and had felt I had woken up from a short nap and told them to let me leave. They told me what they had done with me (open cranium, tracheotomy and other shit) so I had to wait up. I also was talking getting stuck a lot so I had to wait to improve. A week passed and I felt great, the doctor refused but saw I had progressed a lot and he told me a miracle had happened because he thought I was gonna die.

He let me sign some papers and get out. He told me that I had to wait a couple of months to drive again and not to skate again ever. Right now my family drives me around or an uber but I can drive no problem. I told him that I understood the deep shit that happened because of the accident but I told that I had been skating for 18 years and had broken some parts and shit but this was the only time I had something this gnar happen and I wouldnt quit skating because of it. Ive been skating flat in my room (my legs are missing some strength but its getting better each time)and have went out to shoot photos and film some of my friends. He told me that he couldnt force me to quit but its what he'd recommend. I understand what happened but he doesn't understand the benefits of skating for me and everyone in general and the passion that skating moves in me. He and the other doctors told me that I'd get back to 100% fine in a few months miraculously,  since he thought I was gonna die or become paralyzed.

Anyways, I reset the filmer board that got fucked with the Krooked board, I just need to remove the front wheel from the truck so it. works 100% but I have my regular board working like usual so it's what I'm skating now. Thanks for asking buddy! Sharing this makes me get these thoughts out of my body.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1976 on: January 01, 2024, 07:17:30 PM »
Fucking heavy! What city did this happen in?

Take it easy, man but you're clearly a survivor.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1977 on: January 01, 2024, 07:21:37 PM »
insane story @gsosa man reading that all felt somewhat relatable and scary at the same time. glad to hear you're on the path for a full recovery. take it one day at a time.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1978 on: January 01, 2024, 07:39:11 PM »
I totally missed the part about you being hit by a car. I only read the set up info.

The fact that you are typing coherently is great.

Your hospital bills must be fucked. If you want to set up a go fund me we can all throw something on it…

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1979 on: January 02, 2024, 09:55:06 AM »
Fucking heavy! What city did this happen in?

Take it easy, man but you're clearly a survivor.
Thanks dude, this happened in Guatemala City.

insane story @gsosa man reading that all felt somewhat relatable and scary at the same time. glad to hear you're on the path for a full recovery. take it one day at a time.
Thanks dude, it requires patience for sure but I feel a little better than the day before and I already feel somewhat not that fucked. Makes me a bit impatient but I focus and know I'll get good luckily.

I totally missed the part about you being hit by a car. I only read the set up info.

The fact that you are typing coherently is great.

Your hospital bills must be fucked. If you want to set up a go fund me we can all throw something on it…

Thanks a lot for the offer it means a lot but I'm ok luckily. Just having the intention of doing that is more than enough my G thank you!