Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797541 times)

boneless900

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6840 on: September 07, 2023, 04:35:59 PM »
I got some Nano Cubics recently, I've been rolling around on em for about a week. So far I'm liking them a lot, they're fast, they maintain their speed pretty well and they're relatively quieter than your typical F4 or whatever. &&'s description of the urethane being a "harder Dragon" is pretty accurate, it's pretty similar to Dragon but performs a lot better on smooth ground like skateparks. I'm also really liking the fact that I can't fuck the end of my axles up, it's making me a lot more confident on certain slappies that I would have previously felt like they wouldn't work. Recently there have been multiple frontside slappy attempts I have made where I either didn't lean into it enough or came at the wrong angle or something and ended up not getting all the way up onto the curb, resulting in me primo sliding on the floor of the curb and spinning an axle nut off an axle causing a wheel to fall off and making me walk home to get my T tool with my broken board in my hands. It's good to know I won't do that anymore because that shit is super annoying. Also, for most other wheels I normally put several washers between the hanger and the wheel to push my wheels out more so that I can tighten the nut enough to allow the wheel to have just a hair of play while making the nut perfectly flush with the end of the axle, which is a method of mitigating damage to the end of the axle. I don't have to do that with these, which is rad, I can save my spare washers for some other setup. I can't really think of any objective downsides, although I personally like the idea of a symmetrical wheel more than an asymmetrical one because I'm sure these will cone eventually (despite what && claimed on youtube, George Powell's urethane is great but not infallible), and they will be really awkward to ride flipped. In summation, these wheels perform well while also preventing a lot of the annoying bullshit that typically comes along with contemporary, conventional wheels. 9/10 would buy again

I've been loving the nano cubes and I would be interested in a 54 mm and maybe a 99x formula if that's not too insane. The shape is real nice, especially for slappies and the 97x formula has slid nicely/consistently for me

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #6841 on: September 07, 2023, 06:38:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I got some Nano Cubics recently, I've been rolling around on em for about a week. So far I'm liking them a lot, they're fast, they maintain their speed pretty well and they're relatively quieter than your typical F4 or whatever. &&'s description of the urethane being a "harder Dragon" is pretty accurate, it's pretty similar to Dragon but performs a lot better on smooth ground like skateparks. I'm also really liking the fact that I can't fuck the end of my axles up, it's making me a lot more confident on certain slappies that I would have previously felt like they wouldn't work. Recently there have been multiple frontside slappy attempts I have made where I either didn't lean into it enough or came at the wrong angle or something and ended up not getting all the way up onto the curb, resulting in me primo sliding on the floor of the curb and spinning an axle nut off an axle causing a wheel to fall off and making me walk home to get my T tool with my broken board in my hands. It's good to know I won't do that anymore because that shit is super annoying. Also, for most other wheels I normally put several washers between the hanger and the wheel to push my wheels out more so that I can tighten the nut enough to allow the wheel to have just a hair of play while making the nut perfectly flush with the end of the axle, which is a method of mitigating damage to the end of the axle. I don't have to do that with these, which is rad, I can save my spare washers for some other setup. I can't really think of any objective downsides, although I personally like the idea of a symmetrical wheel more than an asymmetrical one because I'm sure these will cone eventually (despite what && claimed on youtube, George Powell's urethane is great but not infallible), and they will be really awkward to ride flipped. In summation, these wheels perform well while also preventing a lot of the annoying bullshit that typically comes along with contemporary, conventional wheels. 9/10 would buy again
[close]

I've been loving the nano cubes and I would be interested in a 54 mm and maybe a 99x formula if that's not too insane. The shape is real nice, especially for slappies and the 97x formula has slid nicely/consistently for me

i was interested in these, because i don’t really like wheels over 52. these seemed like they’d give me some leeway to skate for transport.
they looked fucked tho. i just don’t think i can do it. and yet i’m intrigued.
but goodness.
to rock up on these, on my little 5.0 lo’s….i just can’t see it.
and yet….

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #6842 on: September 09, 2023, 11:22:09 PM »
Anyone thinking of getting a pair of Satori cruiser wheels for filming, don't. So creaky they defeat the purpose of having a more quiet setup.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #6843 on: September 10, 2023, 07:20:58 AM »
I just had my second session on x99 52mm V1’s and I don’t think I’m going back to spitfire anytime soon.  I’ve skated nothing but formula fours since 2014.  These wheels are 2x as fast for 1/2 as many pushes yet still slide fine.  Even the smoothest skatepark I skate, they are still faster.  They handle crustier ground SO much better.

They are undoubtedly less cool than spitfire but this wheel changes my skating for the better.  It unlocks spots 52mm FF can’t handle. 

If you’re on the fence and you don’t always skate the smoothest ground do yourself a favor and try them.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6844 on: September 11, 2023, 11:40:18 AM »
Ordered some x99 v5 Bones today. The shape seems fairly interesting, like a conical classic. Hopefully don’t end up hating them after f4 99a’s, which has happened many times before for me. Only bones wheels i haven’t hated after f4’s are the 100’s. Stf 103a felt too plasticky and sticky. Didn’t hate sml ag formula and dialtones tho, so hopefully it’ll be fine…

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #6845 on: September 11, 2023, 02:40:19 PM »
I also wanna try those && wheels. I need at least 54mm, though, so that's why I'm waiting. Pretty dumb how they didn't at least offer that size outta the gate along with the 52mm. Not worried about them being asymetrical, I'm on the 60mm dragons in the rat bones shape and it's very similar, just less rounded on the outside and it still covers the axle from damage. I rotate the wheels in a diagonal fashion every few sessions and they all stay even.

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6846 on: September 12, 2023, 12:03:27 PM »
I just had my second session on x99 52mm V1’s and I don’t think I’m going back to spitfire anytime soon.  I’ve skated nothing but formula fours since 2014.  These wheels are 2x as fast for 1/2 as many pushes yet still slide fine.  Even the smoothest skatepark I skate, they are still faster.  They handle crustier ground SO much better.

They are undoubtedly less cool than spitfire but this wheel changes my skating for the better.  It unlocks spots 52mm FF can’t handle. 

If you’re on the fence and you don’t always skate the smoothest ground do yourself a favor and try them.

This is useful info, thanks! I tried some f4 classics today and Ive been on wider F4s forever. Switched soon back to wider wheels but boy do these still feel cluncky on even some fairly new asphalt (after skating Dragons). I really dont see why I need Spitfires nowadays because there seem to be superior options available.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6847 on: September 12, 2023, 01:03:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is useful info, thanks! I tried some f4 classics today and Ive been on wider F4s forever. Switched soon back to wider wheels but boy do these still feel cluncky on even some fairly new asphalt (after skating Dragons). I really dont see why I need Spitfires nowadays because there seem to be superior options available.

Same same, got used to X97's, and now I don't really find F4's as good to skate, feel like I have to be more "on" with them. Prior to that I loved F4's but I'm spoiled now. I don't even think about my wheels anymore, they roll fast, slide when I make them, grip when I don't, they're not bouncy, they're not clunky, they just do their thing and work really well.

I kind of didn't want to like them at first, because hard wheels are cool and have "that sound"... but dammit if the Bones aren't just better to skate for me.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #6848 on: September 12, 2023, 06:10:58 PM »

dyed some 60mm classics. after skating conical fulls the classics just feel right

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6849 on: September 14, 2023, 06:37:15 PM »
I wonder how far the dye penetrated??

I've been thinking of doing this myself, nice work.

Btw I can't go back to F4 after riding X99. I'm now riding on Bones - SPF in ultra smooth park and X99 anywhere else.

flocke

• Rep: 14
« Reply #6850 on: September 15, 2023, 12:52:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Same same, got used to X97's, and now I don't really find F4's as good to skate, feel like I have to be more "on" with them. Prior to that I loved F4's but I'm spoiled now. I don't even think about my wheels anymore, they roll fast, slide when I make them, grip when I don't, they're not bouncy, they're not clunky, they just do their thing and work really well.

I kind of didn't want to like them at first, because hard wheels are cool and have "that sound"... but dammit if the Bones aren't just better to skate for me.

same, first i didnt like the x97 coming from f4 99 but after 2-3 session i think im not going back.

I also got used to the sound really quick + my back and knees feel so much better after sessions. I really can recommend them for people with back, knee problems!

Can anybody give a review how diffrent the x99 feel to the x97?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6851 on: September 15, 2023, 02:17:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

same, first i didnt like the x97 coming from f4 99 but after 2-3 session i think im not going back.

I also got used to the sound really quick + my back and knees feel so much better after sessions. I really can recommend them for people with back, knee problems!

Can anybody give a review how diffrent the x99 feel to the x97?
Because of that I'm really curious about X99, 97 sounds scary.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6852 on: September 15, 2023, 05:09:37 AM »
The X97 is a great all-around wheel regardless of whether one has middle age induced challenges or not. Felt very nice at my indoor local (concrete floor w/ plywood transitions/obstacles), not once did I slip out. The jury's still out on whether they are much slower than F4's – anyway, the difference seems marginal.

Interested in giving the X99 a whirl.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 06:10:45 AM by rikki »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6853 on: September 15, 2023, 07:40:12 AM »
i think if you are willing to put the extra wax, the softer wheel you can get away with the more control you will have. i think this is why abe bethel rocks Dragons evne though he is all about doing 90 foot noseslides... having super icy wheels is fun, but not terribly practical. i am starting to think about going to x97 next as well.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6854 on: September 15, 2023, 08:46:51 AM »
Rode the x99’s first time today. Felt super smooth on asphalt in the local park. No problems doing powerslides and reverts. Ledges and rails felt fine, maybe tiny amount stickier than f4 99a but nothing to be concerned about. Overall i would say that they work better (than f4’s and anything else) for that semi-crusty park i usually go to, almost made it feel like some smooth concrete park. I’m stoked.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6855 on: September 15, 2023, 12:40:21 PM »
Sign me up for the x97s too. i should've bought that sale from the skate shop that was having a sell out.

I like how the X99s change in feel depending on the type of cement. On really smooth cement they're a bit edgy but super controllable. On rougher cement, they grip a little more but slides and reverts are controllable. I don't mind the extra grip on gritty cement that's gonna scrape my limbs off if I tuck n roll lol

rikki

« Reply #6856 on: September 17, 2023, 01:36:28 AM »
How would you guys compare F4s and X99s speed-wise on smooth surfaces (concrete parks, plywood)? Is there a difference? I wanna go fast in my indoor local, and my current F4 Radials are fast as fuck but can slide out a bit sometimes. X97s felt slightly slower, wonder what's the case with X99s.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #6857 on: September 17, 2023, 10:10:39 AM »
F4 97s actually felt really good in indoor park that has slippery floor. ESpecially loved them on wooden mini ramp. Also was not lacking any speed. These my go-to wheels for dusty indoor park now.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #6858 on: September 17, 2023, 11:48:11 AM »
How would you guys compare F4s and X99s speed-wise on smooth surfaces (concrete parks, plywood)? Is there a difference? I wanna go fast in my indoor local, and my current F4 Radials are fast as fuck but can slide out a bit sometimes. X97s felt slightly slower, wonder what's the case with X99s.

I find they are the same speed wise. The X99 do feel slower just because they absorb vibration more but you are moving just as fast. They will in theory be slightly faster than the X97s

AlumarX

« Reply #6859 on: September 18, 2023, 12:42:07 PM »
Which shape X97 should I try? If its not much smoother than a X99 I'd rather keep it narrow.

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6860 on: September 18, 2023, 01:57:12 PM »
Which shape X97 should I try? If its not much smoother than a X99 I'd rather keep it narrow.

If you'd rather keep it narrow, they make a V5 Sidecut shape that's like a spit conical. I was looking at their shape specs and it looks like the V5 is more narrow than their V1 shape. I think it's the most narrow shape they make for X-Formula.

AlumarX

« Reply #6861 on: September 18, 2023, 02:27:36 PM »
I'm an idiot, saw the 52 x97 v1 and nabbed it. We'll see how she do. All I do is slappies anyway

rikki

« Reply #6862 on: September 19, 2023, 12:32:11 AM »
I really like the V5 shape, I wish Spitfire had a narrow shape like that.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6863 on: September 19, 2023, 04:12:43 PM »

Is the normal Conical shape not quite what you want?  Not Conical Full, but just Conical?

I have had both come through my hands and they come up fairly close when looking at them, only a single mm in total width difference in the most common sizes, but then it changes a bit more over 54 mm.

They are not as common to get hold of in some areas though.

Conical

52 x 31.3
53 x 32
54 x 32.1

Bones V5

52 x 30
53 x 31
54 x 31

Different compounds though, so that is more the thing for most people I know - they are either a Spitfire guy or a Bones guy, nothing wrong with either - just preference of wheel, which for me is formula first, then shape, etc.

What size wheels do you usually ride?

* Also this is when someone usually says they want the Radial Slim back, which would work well in that profile.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

« Reply #6864 on: September 19, 2023, 11:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is the normal Conical shape not quite what you want?  Not Conical Full, but just Conical?

I have had both come through my hands and they come up fairly close when looking at them, only a single mm in total width difference in the most common sizes, but then it changes a bit more over 54 mm.

They are not as common to get hold of in some areas though.

Conical

52 x 31.3
53 x 32
54 x 32.1

Bones V5

52 x 30
53 x 31
54 x 31

Different compounds though, so that is more the thing for most people I know - they are either a Spitfire guy or a Bones guy, nothing wrong with either - just preference of wheel, which for me is formula first, then shape, etc.

What size wheels do you usually ride?

* Also this is when someone usually says they want the Radial Slim back, which would work well in that profile.

Yeah, thanks, the normal Conical is quite close width-wise, but what really matters to me is the riding surface which is considerably wider on the Conicals as compared to the V5. This was a non-issue for me before when I riding mostly F4 and OJs, but after being on the X97 V5s I've grown to like the narrower riding surface.

And yeah, there's of course always the F4 Classic, but still... it's not the same. Y'know. OCD. :)

I normally ride 54 or 55mm wheels. Prolly gonna try the X99 V5s next.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6865 on: September 20, 2023, 12:21:56 AM »
Isent riding surface kinda... irrelevant? As the wheel wear, it increases in riding surface. And it doesnt take long. My wheels go down 2mm in a month, easly.

rikki

« Reply #6866 on: September 20, 2023, 01:44:51 AM »
Isent riding surface kinda... irrelevant? As the wheel wear, it increases in riding surface. And it doesnt take long. My wheels go down 2mm in a month, easly.

The wear down factor is exactly one reason why riding surface actually matters.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6867 on: September 20, 2023, 06:35:39 AM »
How? Spit classics are 33.6mm wide in a size 54, however, riding surface is only 16.4.
A spit conical in size 54, is only 32.1mm wide, but has a wider riding surface of 20.1. It will wear a little bit slower, but it wont take long before they are almost equal, and then the classics will actually have a wider surface.

Wheels wear very fast, imo. I've started buying 54mm wheels (which I hate with passion), instead of 52, bcuz they wear so fast. I cant imagine how my wheels would have been if I skated every single day...

frtzgn95

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6868 on: September 20, 2023, 08:07:28 AM »
How? Spit classics are 33.6mm wide in a size 54, however, riding surface is only 16.4.
A spit conical in size 54, is only 32.1mm wide, but has a wider riding surface of 20.1. It will wear a little bit slower, but it wont take long before they are almost equal, and then the classics will actually have a wider surface.

Wheels wear very fast, imo. I've started buying 54mm wheels (which I hate with passion), instead of 52, bcuz they wear so fast. I cant imagine how my wheels would have been if I skated every single day...

i am very curious the math of the wearing. i wanna know the wearing info of different wheels. i would like to see a poll or discussion topic just for that.

edit: i remember, ben degros said something like "after 6 months, my 52 mm spits wear down to 47 and my trucks dies. i replace them together."

i want to know this type info.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6869 on: September 20, 2023, 08:28:31 AM »

Yeah, thanks, the normal Conical is quite close width-wise, but what really matters to me is the riding surface which is considerably wider on the Conicals as compared to the V5. This was a non-issue for me before when I riding mostly F4 and OJs, but after being on the X97 V5s I've grown to like the narrower riding surface.

And yeah, there's of course always the F4 Classic, but still... it's not the same. Y'know. OCD. :)

I normally ride 54 or 55mm wheels. Prolly gonna try the X99 V5s next.

I can see the Bones V5 would be good there, but Bones tend to last longer / don't wear down as fast either, at least the places I have skated them, so that is another plus for you on those ones, which ever formula you go with.

The V5 shape never goes over 32 mm wide either, even up into the 55 or 56 mm sizes, which is another plus for you.

https://bones.com/why/shapes/

Expand Quote
[close]

The wear down factor is exactly one reason why riding surface actually matters.

Expand Quote

[close]

i am very curious the math of the wearing. i wanna know the wearing info of different wheels. i would like to see a poll or discussion topic just for that.

edit: i remember, ben degros said something like "after 6 months, my 52 mm spits wear down to 47 and my trucks dies. i replace them together."

i want to know this type info.

As much as I used to ride bigger wheels, up to 59 mm Bigheads, but more commonly the 56 or 57 mm big wide but rounded profile before Formula Four came out, now I prefer Classics, usually in 55 to 56 mm width if I am skating them from new, but then I like them more when they are at around 53 to 54 mm with a wider riding surface, which is what the Classic Full wheels sort of look like, once normal Classic wheels wear down some, or the Radial shape if you are taking them down further than that.

Even the normal 54 mm Classics shape is nice in 52 mm on a board I have, but with some other wheels, if they are thinner right through, then the riding surface will also stay thin, so they will not widen out as much as some other shapes and maybe perform more like new, or mush out / catch the edges a little less, if that makes sense.

Just to throw in some crazy wheel madness, I have a friend who rides Conical Full 54 mm wheels, from new down to 52 - 53 mm and then I buy / swap him back some new ones for his old ones and use an angle grinder on the edges to round them off a little more, so I have what feels like nice wide, rounded off wheels in about the right size for most of my skating now, where I wouldn't get that size and shape of wheel from anywhere without some skating them in a lot first.

If you are keen, I can measure a few sets and give you some numbers as to what they actually end up as, from every mm from new down to worn out and done, as I have a whole lot of well used, finished with or otherwise random wheels missing full sets or whatever.

Any which way, it is interesting to see how they shape down, from Classic through Radial shape to fat Tablets and whatever else in between.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.