Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797560 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7080 on: November 06, 2023, 09:07:28 AM »
Did I read a couple of posts back that 58mm X99's were out??

If they did a 57/58mm V6 X99 that would be me set.

I can't get enough of the X99 formula. So versatile for everything. Fast and and lively just the right amount of grip/slip for me. I do wonder how that formula would feel in 101A - maybe the fastest wheel on earth. But I suppose that's what SPF's are for...

56mm V6

https://bones.com/bones-wheels-x-formula-skateboard-wheels-leaving-56mm-v6-wide-cut-99a-blk-4pk

58mm V5
https://bones.com/bones-wheels-x-formula-skateboard-wheels-timeless-machine-58mm-v5-sidecut-99a-4pk

Surely you can get away with either; the V5 at that size is plenty wide =D

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #7081 on: November 06, 2023, 11:33:12 AM »
Anyone with a gram scale know which Bones wheel is lighter? V1 or V5?

Also, any noticeable difference in the way they skate?

Thanks
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7082 on: November 06, 2023, 12:30:01 PM »

Thanks

MM being equal the v1 is lighter because it’s thinner.

V5 might lock in a bit better at small sizes due to the straight cut away…bigger you go the more wheel ya got to lock in.

Currently on 53mm v1 x99

I like both but prefer V3s ;)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7083 on: November 06, 2023, 12:43:48 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

V5 might lock in a bit better at small sizes due to the straight cut away…bigger you go the more wheel ya got to lock in.

Currently on 53mm v1 x99

v1s were sick because flippy.

i dunno why i’m such a conical full hater, but i really loved the sfw mike anderson wheel. they were pretty soft, but rad to just ride wherever. maybe because they were only like 53s. dunno

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7084 on: November 06, 2023, 12:57:13 PM »
I hate really wide or ‘full’ wheels, totally unnecessary imo; duro > wheel width (aaaw cute the wide wheel puss..er posse has bunched panties now, lol grow up).

And I’m a both a bitch about weight and not fake hesh enough to ride them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 02:21:47 PM by Xen »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7085 on: November 06, 2023, 01:30:01 PM »
I hate really wide or ‘full’ wheels, totally unnecessary imo; duro > wheel width.

oh right there with ya

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7086 on: November 06, 2023, 03:53:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I don't know where you are in Europe but up here in Scandinavia we're not paying 70 euros for F4 wheels. More like 55 € on the average. Still pricey, but no way I'm gonna pay 70 € for a set of any wheel.
[close]
Up here in scandinavia, sweden, f4's are 76 €, or 84 for 57 mm and up.
[close]

Must be the bad rate of the krone. They're considerably cheaper where I live (not Sweden).
[close]
Based on your handle you’re here in Finland, and yeah most brick and mortar shops have them at 49-55€ but in blue tomato they’re 70€…
[close]

In france they just went up, they were originally 55€, they were 68€ for a bit, and now its 73€ on the last 2 drops…

I see a lot more oj, dialtone, haze and satori wheels now than a year ago

I think you will find too, older stock has not been marked up or is still at the price when they got the wheels in (which was a lower wholesale price, so lower RRP as well), but newer stock is a higher wholesale price now even for the same wheels that were $5 or so less last drop, or even some shops that keep up with the current price of wheels might mark everything up sooner, regardless of the age of their wheel stock.

There are still some shops here in AU that are a lot more expensive right away, while others have not marked everything up since their last stock drop, so I am guessing that also happens all over the world.

Make no mistake, prices are still going up, so what you see right now is not going to be the most you would pay for wheels in a drop or two from now, which sounds bad, but it is just what is going on with things going up and up and up...

Only one single dollar at the manufacturing / wholesale end often means up to ten dollars or more at the retail end.

Get them with discount codes or as cheap as you can with certain sales or other deals and you shouldn't have to pay full RRP if you are smart about it.

Sorry, that ended up sounding like a rant, but I didn't mean it to.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7087 on: November 07, 2023, 04:16:45 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

Currently on 53mm v1 x99

🤘
V3’s abso-freaking-lutely!

My favorite local has 53mm x99 v1’s, and I had my heart set on 52mm… but maybe I should stop fiending over a mm and go for it.

I think you probably gave a rundown on the x99’s a while back, but how is the impact absorption on them compared to the x97’s? I love the x97’s but it would be nice to have a less soft-sounding wheel again. And really want to try the v1 shape (been on v5’s for a few years now)

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7088 on: November 07, 2023, 07:44:22 AM »
anyone know of any shops that have the new loopholes? did they even distro to shops this round is another question i guess. was hoping to maybe find the 54mm that are sold out on the site but having no luck so far

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7089 on: November 07, 2023, 09:44:54 AM »
anyone know of any shops that have the new loopholes? did they even distro to shops this round is another question i guess. was hoping to maybe find the 54mm that are sold out on the site but having no luck so far
https://thepremierstore.com/products/brush-classic-mt-shape-wheel-100a-54mm?_pos=4&_fid=47e721c42&_ss=c

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7090 on: November 07, 2023, 10:13:19 AM »
I hate really wide or ‘full’ wheels, totally unnecessary imo; duro > wheel width (aaaw cute the wide wheel puss..er posse has bunched panties now, lol grow up).

yo, same here. i tried to jump on the wide wheel train, and got some radial fulls. lasted 2 weeks max. lost full ability to flip a board. I’m sure there is some kind of benefit to riding them on transition, but I can’t even back 50-50 on a 4ft quarter. lmao
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7091 on: November 07, 2023, 10:33:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
https://thepremierstore.com/products/brush-classic-mt-shape-wheel-100a-54mm?_pos=4&_fid=47e721c42&_ss=c

neat ty

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7092 on: November 07, 2023, 11:37:19 AM »
I can't find the posts on here but I remember at some point some really smart people concluded that all else equal wider wheels would distribute vibrations better and break into slides easier than the equivalent durometer in a narrower wheel. It would then be logical that perhaps going down 1 step in duro on the narrower wheel still would not smooth things out as much as the larger wheel and come at the cost of also creating drag on slides.

I think this is why I still prefer 53 F4 99 Radials to the 53 X99 Bones V5. The Radials skate just as fast and feel pretty smooth on the asphalt I skate (which isn't super crusty), but faster in other scenarios and on ledges/coping. I don't think duro or width are independently the casual factor in a wheel performing a certain way and can see why people might want a narrower, softer wheel or a standard hardness wide wheel.

FWIW a shit ton of really tech pros skate wider wheels. A wider wheel might not absorb the same amount of shock from rolling over a crack, but it will distribute that roll over over a larger area. They can then have a wheel that still slides/grinds how they are used to but unlocks different types of terrain. Lots of kids local to me skate large/wide wheels are are definitely not hesh. A 54 conical full for them is likely going to be faster than a 52 V1 X series.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7093 on: November 07, 2023, 12:23:15 PM »
i have the conical fulls in 52, 101s, and they are good.
there isn’t much doubt for me, that a wider wheel monster trucks over stuff better.

i talk big shit on big wheels, because me and my little wheels are usually out here whittlin in some parking lot. if i was gx’n then yes, big wheels.
speaking of which, i’ve been looking forward to setting up a board for outside of the parking lot/park, and more for transportation. time to put my 56 radial fulls to actual good use. these things look insane

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #7094 on: November 07, 2023, 12:30:05 PM »
I can't find the posts on here but I remember at some point some really smart people concluded that all else equal wider wheels would distribute vibrations better and break into slides easier than the equivalent durometer in a narrower wheel. It would then be logical that perhaps going down 1 step in duro on the narrower wheel still would not smooth things out as much as the larger wheel and come at the cost of also creating drag on slides.

I think this is why I still prefer 53 F4 99 Radials to the 53 X99 Bones V5. The Radials skate just as fast and feel pretty smooth on the asphalt I skate (which isn't super crusty), but faster in other scenarios and on ledges/coping. I don't think duro or width are independently the casual factor in a wheel performing a certain way and can see why people might want a narrower, softer wheel or a standard hardness wide wheel.

FWIW a shit ton of really tech pros skate wider wheels. A wider wheel might not absorb the same amount of shock from rolling over a crack, but it will distribute that roll over over a larger area. They can then have a wheel that still slides/grinds how they are used to but unlocks different types of terrain. Lots of kids local to me skate large/wide wheels are are definitely not hesh. A 54 conical full for them is likely going to be faster than a 52 V1 X series.

I think in this case its more just how actually shitty the asphalt is you're skating.

Radials are my Spitfire wheel of choice and the X99 v5s in the same diameter are very noticabley faster and smoother on the east coast crust at my local DIY.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7095 on: November 07, 2023, 06:09:40 PM »
People need to let the x formula do it's crusty thing and stop trying to replace their spit 99s if they can't handle their perceived/experienced drawbacks. Let if fucking go already if SPits 'work better everywhere' for you and your locals.

Once you adjust to x99s 'in the streets' it's crazy how hard 99a F4s feel, they might as well be 103 SPFs on cobblestone, covered in loose pebbles.

I'd take a narrower, x [or 99a] over a wider wheel, "less vibration of a wider wheel", to save on weight. Especially since the x-formula is tailored to uh...reduce vibration...it's the whole point of the fucking wheel, thereby making it so you don't need a wide wheel to lessen vibration...but even PP isn't exempt from hesh marketing with their V6s.

One thing is for sure, my knees fucking LOVE the x-formula and prior to them, I wouldn't ride a 99a, 101 spit or 103 stf all day. It wasn't until I got older / had less smooth shit to skate that I even looked at 99a anything.

As an aside, FFS, counter/pick an argument with someone else for a change, it's fucking tired/old...but here we are in multiple threads again (..if the shoe fits...know what I mean). Get off my dick (unless, it is BECAUSE you a so enamored for some reason you WANT this D?).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 06:28:16 PM by Xen »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7096 on: November 07, 2023, 06:32:46 PM »
the point about the softer wheels helping the knees is a real one.
when were the p2 boards a thing? (i’m not talking polar, way back when ps stix made some performance/hybrid/composite deck). those things were stiff as heck. the timing frequently felt off, but when it worked, the pop was nuts.
but the extra stiffness went straight to the joints and it hurt.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7097 on: November 07, 2023, 08:14:03 PM »
People need to let the x formula do it's crusty thing and stop trying to replace their spit 99s if they can't handle their perceived/experienced drawbacks. Let if fucking go already if SPits 'work better everywhere' for you and your locals.

I mean this would be valid except bones claims they slide and grind just like a harder wheel in all their advertising so it’s fair enough to be disappointed that they squeal and drag on metal when coming from f4s

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7098 on: November 07, 2023, 09:01:16 PM »

Once you adjust to x99s 'in the streets' it's crazy how hard 99a F4s feel, they might as well be 103 SPFs on cobblestone, covered in loose pebbles.

I'd take a narrower, x [or 99a] over a wider wheel, "less vibration of a wider wheel", to save on weight. Especially since the x-formula is tailored to uh...reduce vibration...it's the whole point of the fucking wheel, thereby making it so you don't need a wide wheel to lessen vibration...but even PP isn't exempt from hesh marketing with their V6s.

One thing is for sure, my knees fucking LOVE the x-formula and prior to them, I wouldn't ride a 99a, 101 spit or 103 stf all day. It wasn't until I got older / had less smooth shit to skate that I even looked at 99a anything.

As an aside, FFS, counter/pick an argument with someone else for a change, it's fucking tired/old...but here we are in multiple threads again (..if the shoe fits...know what I mean). Get off my dick (unless, it is BECAUSE you a so enamored for some reason you WANT this D?).

You're a weird brand of sociopath. Like not cool enough to be in a frat, but the ultimate frat boy. The vibes are so strange. We don't agree about skateboard gear, I could care less if it was you or the Pope being a weirdo about wheels.

X formula is fine I like other stuff better as do others who really cares to the point of getting as mad as you seem to be. Sometimes I think you buy gear just to give it shitty reviews and start debates.

Your reading comprehension needs some work. I'm not saying a wide wheel is better than the x formula but you can get to a good spot with both approaches it just depends what sacrifices you want to make. I like riding them more as do others I know, I'm sure there's just as many who like the X and it's all good either way.

Your take is that whatever gear you ride is "the best" and nothing else can possibly be as highly optimized, whereas I view all this useless shit on a continuum and it's more interesting to hear why people like shit than winning a battle of best wheels.

Seriously tho the dick infatuation is like Superbad but you're a grown adult and have borderline date rape vibes about it.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7099 on: November 07, 2023, 09:09:52 PM »
Ya fr all dude said was sometimes harder wide wheels are preferable over soft skinny wheels for some reasons and u went batshit lol, never said that they were better objectively, or for you

if you can’t skate anything wider than a classic and have to run soft boys then you do you king but you’re definitely in a minority here

Also even if the wheel is softer, if it’s too skinny you still are more likely to get traintracked or caught up and stuck on some terrain over a wider harder wheel… been there

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7100 on: November 08, 2023, 12:25:54 PM »
i went for a little night cruise on some radial full, 56, 99s. the wide helped, they still feel like skateboard wheels, which is nice.
many years ago, when i should have been forced to take a breathalyzer before stepping on my board, i setup a wide hill bomber with some soft wheels. went to speed check, instead just carved and accelerated. slam.

the roads in my parts are pretty jacked. should i just stick it out with the 99s, or try something softer?
the majority of the talk around the softer wheels, unless i’ve missed it, seems to come from the perspective of skating parks, curbs, etc.

what would someone recommend for very old roads/hills?

i tried rough riders, long ago, for just flatground long distance, and they were nice enough for that. one of the kids has some powell g wheels, the other has keyframes, all seem a bit too soft for speed checks, but maybe i’m wrong on that

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7101 on: November 08, 2023, 01:02:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You're a weird brand of sociopath. Like not cool enough to be in a frat, but the ultimate frat boy. The vibes are so strange. We don't agree about skateboard gear, I could care less if it was you or the Pope being a weirdo about wheels.

X formula is fine I like other stuff better as do others who really cares to the point of getting as mad as you seem to be. Sometimes I think you buy gear just to give it shitty reviews and start debates.

Your reading comprehension needs some work. I'm not saying a wide wheel is better than the x formula but you can get to a good spot with both approaches it just depends what sacrifices you want to make. I like riding them more as do others I know, I'm sure there's just as many who like the X and it's all good either way.

Your take is that whatever gear you ride is "the best" and nothing else can possibly be as highly optimized, whereas I view all this useless shit on a continuum and it's more interesting to hear why people like shit than winning a battle of best wheels.

Seriously tho the dick infatuation is like Superbad but you're a grown adult and have borderline date rape vibes about it.

Yup, I'm the socio - when all you do is follow me around the forum, posting almost right after me, every time, to counter (seriously go look at my posts, there you are.... Your infatuation since the royal thread is weird...x99s...Nb...you just have to get a word in to counter. every time. It's really creepy man. Seek help.

I actually thought you mellowed which is why I bothered to sell you shit, but you're right at it again.

Your MO is so transparent, it's no wonder more people than me call you out on it. Fucking hilarious dude. As for takes? Anything I don't like you feel like you have to white night...if I like it? You have to shit on it. Kettle black you cockholster. Don't bother replying, even tho you have to, cuz you can't resist, you won't get a peep out of me from now on.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 01:16:01 PM by Xen »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7102 on: November 08, 2023, 01:46:53 PM »
What's been your most durable and overall best functioning cruiser wheel? I skated the Oj super juices twice, both times they chunked fast so I wont get them again. Keyframes felt a bit too hard for my taste. Is there any soft wheel that actually has lasted you at least a year or two? Paying full price for wheels that last you one summer just cruising feels like a scam.
Not sure if they still sell them but Ricta clouds done me right since six/seven years ago.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7103 on: November 08, 2023, 03:30:10 PM »
STF 99s are pretty trash, they feel like price points these days; better off with spit 99s if you’re not into the 99 x-formula offerings, of course that all being terrain dependent.

Now if you’re daring, the 103stfs actually feel on par with spit 99s (if not softer feeling believe it or not), it’s like the whole Bones line went soft.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7104 on: November 08, 2023, 03:41:11 PM »
Does X99 bounce like a dragon wheel?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7105 on: November 08, 2023, 03:43:55 PM »

Less so, but still way more than a spit F4, or ricta (which are super grippy @99); it’s just the nature of that formula.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7106 on: November 08, 2023, 05:37:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Less so, but still way more than a spit F4, or ricta (which are super grippy @99); it’s just the nature of that formula.
Sold. Thanks. That’s the feedback I was looking for.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7107 on: November 08, 2023, 11:52:48 PM »
I've said it before, but I'm fully on the X-Formula train these days on anything other than perfect terrain. Both the X97 and X99 are just fucking great on anything from rough asphalt to slippy plywood and whatever variations of imperfect/challenging terrain one might have.

I was on the Dragon bandwagon for a bit, but I hate them on smoother terrain – they feel sticky, plus they make no sound and bounce like super balls. None of which are issues with the X97 or X99, be it that they are admittedly a bit "bouncier" than so-called normal hard wheels. But not to an extent of it being a nuisance.

Caveat: in a perfect park and on smooth concrete I still prefer F4s. But my overall menu of terrains is far from perfect.

Big up to Bones, honestly.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #7108 on: November 09, 2023, 05:35:01 AM »
i went for a little night cruise on some radial full, 56, 99s. the wide helped, they still feel like skateboard wheels, which is nice.
many years ago, when i should have been forced to take a breathalyzer before stepping on my board, i setup a wide hill bomber with some soft wheels. went to speed check, instead just carved and accelerated. slam.

the roads in my parts are pretty jacked. should i just stick it out with the 99s, or try something softer?
the majority of the talk around the softer wheels, unless i’ve missed it, seems to come from the perspective of skating parks, curbs, etc.

i tried rough riders, long ago, for just flatground long distance, and they were nice enough for that. one of the kids has some powell g wheels, the other has keyframes, all seem a bit too soft for speed checks, but maybe i’m wrong on that

Not sure if you’ve tried any variants of Dragons but I just setup some 60mm Dragon G-Bones on my cruiser because I wanted to cruise around but also be able to grind a ledge when I want to.  I have to say they are really really good for old fucked up roads and spots.  They’re fast on smooth asphalt probably because of the shape and size.  I skated an angle iron ledge into a hill bomb and the ground on that spot I wouldn’t consider rideable on F4’s.  They are really versatile for a cruiser wheel and I honestly think I’ll just keep using these as cruiser and wheels and not mess around with anything softer.

On smooth ground they don’t slide well but on anything rough they slide fine.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7109 on: November 09, 2023, 06:08:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure if you’ve tried any variants of Dragons but I just setup some 60mm Dragon G-Bones on my cruiser because I wanted to cruise around but also be able to grind a ledge when I want to.  I have to say they are really really good for old fucked up roads and spots.  They’re fast on smooth asphalt probably because of the shape and size.  I skated an angle iron ledge into a hill bomb and the ground on that spot I wouldn’t consider rideable on F4’s.  They are really versatile for a cruiser wheel and I honestly think I’ll just keep using these as cruiser and wheels and not mess around with anything softer.

On smooth ground they don’t slide well but on anything rough they slide fine.

thanks! the majority of the feedback on the wheels that i’ve seen has been more about doing skate tricks, and less about bombing hills.
i’ll gladly give these a shot
i’m going to try some 56 f4 classic 97s tonight