Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798612 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7110 on: November 09, 2023, 06:20:15 AM »
Yes sir, for the sole purpose of hillbombing especially not-so-perfect asphalt large Dragons are the shit. They will be fast as fuck and slide great. 

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #7111 on: November 09, 2023, 06:23:16 AM »
Bought a set of X-Formula 97a recently based on the positive feedback in this thread. I'll be skating indoors for the winter, and the ground is indeed dusty and slippery so hopefully they serve their purpose.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7112 on: November 09, 2023, 09:29:01 AM »
Yes sir, for the sole purpose of hillbombing especially not-so-perfect asphalt large Dragons are the shit. They will be fast as fuck and slide great.

this is the information i’ve been needing

Banned from the room

« Reply #7113 on: November 09, 2023, 09:35:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does X99 bounce like a dragon wheel?
[close]

Less so, but still way more than a spit F4, or ricta (which are super grippy @99); it’s just the nature of that formula.
[close]
Sold. Thanks. That’s the feedback I was looking for.

Dub thanx

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7114 on: November 09, 2023, 10:26:13 AM »
Been skating some f4 97 53 classics I got for free, they're pretty good on crusty ground like rockridge curbs and some other places. Don't even really mind or notice the slight decrease in speed on smooth ground.

But again at spots with sharp metal coping that isn't super waxed, waller, and that new UN plaza which has the same marble slab/ledges as waller, they be grippin on crooked grinds, lips, blunts/noseblunts. Also if you're grinding a round rail. Not as bad as the bones x formulas (haven't tried x99) but enough that it was reducing my consistency. If you wax shit its fine, but you really don't wanna be the guy waxing shit when everybody skating.

Tempted to put on my last set of 52 99 radial slims, kind of a prized possession at this point.

Would be really sick to have something thats ever so slightly softer than an f4 99 that doesn't compromise on drag at all, but sadly looks like its kinda not possible. But if its a slightly smoother ride in exchange for taking a few more tries to land my tricks or bailing when I otherwise wouldn't have I'm not taking that deal 95% of the time
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 10:33:01 AM by tzhangdox »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7115 on: November 09, 2023, 10:27:56 AM »
I've said it before, but I'm fully on the X-Formula train these days on anything other than perfect terrain. Both the X97 and X99 are just fucking great on anything from rough asphalt to slippy plywood and whatever variations of imperfect/challenging terrain one might have.

I was on the Dragon bandwagon for a bit, but I hate them on smoother terrain – they feel sticky, plus they make no sound and bounce like super balls. None of which are issues with the X97 or X99, be it that they are admittedly a bit "bouncier" than so-called normal hard wheels. But not to an extent of it being a nuisance.

Caveat: in a perfect park and on smooth concrete I still prefer F4s. But my overall menu of terrains is far from perfect.

Big up to Bones, honestly.

The x99s have become sort of a crutch wheel for me in a way...very much like once you get used to skating rails [or a slick] for curb skating as it's a similar terrain dependency/preference; once you get used to them it's really hard to go back. But like you said, smooth park or plaza, F4 [or STF] all the way. And of course, F4s work in those spots too, it's just different strokes.

The smooth ride vs rattle-skating is an underrated feature, especially if you go spot to spot a lot (which I tend to do).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:56:56 AM by Xen »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7116 on: November 09, 2023, 10:39:17 AM »
The way I setup wheels is basically to serve each purpose on my 3 setups :s

on my 8.38 setup: as small and slick as possible 51mm f4 classic 99a (i decided to concede to 99a because 101a on an F4 is actually at the point its too slippery and makes me skate worse). best shape for pinched grinds and tilting.

on my egg setup: 54mm conical full. this handles all the spots my other board doesnt. it feels pretty comparable to dragons as most spots when i try them both on crusty asphalt. the speed is very comparable its just the dragons eat a bit more vibration. the f4s eat enough that my feet odnt seem to move much. i would much rather have the forgiveness on the slide, and i love the way they sound and feel. i should probably drop down to 97a and i could go up a tiny bit in size too, maybe 56mm radial full 97a on this setup would be a bit more ideal. but the way it is it seriously works amazing and that shaves a ton of bulk by keeping it that way.

on my cruiser: I just go for the softest most stable thing possible. if i want to powerslide then i would just use the egg setup. so i got 78a OJ Mini Juice 55mm.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7117 on: November 09, 2023, 10:57:59 AM »
^makes sense

problem is ive marie kondo'd my way into having just one setup and trying to not quiver up again

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7118 on: November 09, 2023, 11:04:33 AM »
i was thinking about if i went down to 1 setup i would probably just use my 8.38 and then put my 54mm 99a conical full on and i would probably be happy at any spot. 97a 54mm radial full f4 sounds like it could be good + also x formula but from my experience so far on this wheel it will work for 99% of the skating i seem to do so i am scared to mess with it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 11:11:56 AM by rawbertson. »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7119 on: November 09, 2023, 11:09:06 AM »
^makes sense

problem is ive marie kondo'd my way into having just one setup and trying to not quiver up again

I'm legitimately jealous. I've been slowly selling shit off/giving stuff away to do just that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 11:25:15 AM by Xen »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7120 on: November 09, 2023, 11:10:07 AM »
The way I setup wheels is basically to serve each purpose on my 3 setups :s

on my 8.38 setup: as small and slick as possible 51mm f4 classic 99a (i decided to concede to 99a because 101a on an F4 is actually at the point its too slippery and makes me skate worse). best shape for pinched grinds and tilting.

on my egg setup: 54mm conical full. this handles all the spots my other board doesnt. it feels pretty comparable to dragons as most spots when i try them both on crusty asphalt. the speed is very comparable its just the dragons eat a bit more vibration. the f4s eat enough that my feet odnt seem to move much. i would much rather have the forgiveness on the slide, and i love the way they sound and feel. i should probably drop down to 97a and i could go up a tiny bit in size too, maybe 56mm radial full 97a on this setup would be a bit more ideal. but the way it is it seriously works amazing and that shaves a ton of bulk by keeping it that way.

on my cruiser: I just go for the softest most stable thing possible. if i want to powerslide then i would just use the egg setup. so i got 78a OJ Mini Juice 55mm.

I organize my setups kind of similarly, I've got 46mm classics on my 9" egg, 50mm conicals on my 7.75" popsicle and 58mm Vs on my ~10" Strangelove Natas board

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

pops

• Rep: 256
« Reply #7121 on: November 09, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »

This right here. Loved my 56 and 60mm Dragons so much last summer. Bombed tons of hills and did lots of powerslides and they just go.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7122 on: November 09, 2023, 11:40:40 AM »
Expand Quote
^makes sense

[close]

I'm legitimately jealous. I've been slowly selling shit off/giving stuff away to do just that.

Don't get me wrong I got stuff on ice

But ya I'm pretty at peace can skate whatever and adjust fairly quick within a certain range, though theres pros n cons that go both ways. Any 8.38-8.5 14.25-14.5 as long as the kicks aren't pointy like a sword or FA type square+steep. 5.8 venture cast hollows stock no adjustments.

Preferably 52-54mm 99 f4s which I have been fortunate enough to get hooked up with here n there, whatever shape is fine but preferably not super wide and not tablets ideally, and if its 52 then classics are a little jarring on rough ground. Even the 97s are good for the most part but get a little annoying skating dry ish ledges n rails. If I didn't have a huge stash of wheels on ice I'd just ignore it and get more used to it.

Basically nowadays I feel anything ya can't do on any given setup that fits within a reasonable range comes down to skill issue
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 11:52:29 AM by tzhangdox »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7123 on: November 09, 2023, 12:26:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^makes sense

[close]

[close]

Don't get me wrong I got stuff on ice

But ya I'm pretty at peace can skate whatever and adjust fairly quick within a certain range, though theres pros n cons that go both ways. Any 8.38-8.5 14.25-14.5 as long as the kicks aren't pointy like a sword or FA type square+steep. 5.8 venture cast hollows stock no adjustments.

Preferably 52-54mm 99 f4s which I have been fortunate enough to get hooked up with here n there, whatever shape is fine but preferably not super wide and not tablets ideally, and if its 52 then classics are a little jarring on rough ground. Even the 97s are good for the most part but get a little annoying skating dry ish ledges n rails. If I didn't have a huge stash of wheels on ice I'd just ignore it and get more used to it.

Basically nowadays I feel anything ya can't do on any given setup that fits within a reasonable range comes down to skill issue

Oh ice is fiiiiine, so is having a small quiver, as long at it's not i87162348671235 variants of the same thing.

I'm trying to settle on 1 Pop, 1 shaped and call it a day.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 12:47:56 PM by Xen »

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #7124 on: November 09, 2023, 01:19:33 PM »

True words and a good reminder.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7125 on: November 10, 2023, 10:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I see the new DLXSF.COM / Spitfire wheels catalog is up, with a new one down the far bottom corner...  Sure they are probably a different wheel, pricepoint / beginner wheel as shown, but I wonder what the deal is with them.

Never seen anything out about them before seeing it here, so I am kind of curious if anyone else has seen or heard about them too?

Also the Ryan Lee Spitfire "filmer" wheel is in there too - looks like a Super Juice / Penny type wheel profile, but at least that one I had seen and knew was coming out.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall-2023-drop-2/

[close]

I bet
These and the sapphires are factory seconds that got cut and pushed out there.

I think it's the same with the dragons at 93a.

Bones put out what they thought was going to be the weakest product in killer old shapes and with a new gospel for Old timers knees. Then followed up with a slightly stronger one until they arrived at Andy's wheel. Which probably has all the kinks worked out. Or they need his name power to get out from underneath the back stock of soft shit.

Bet spit does it too. Skate the industry probably about to die. It's just going to be us again.

It's a good thing that the worst products of the day are better than the best flat spotted potatoes of my childhood.

I wish spit would do tall and skinny wheel. Clear f4 if possible. Like bones used to do. Hard ass clear wheels.

Or see them do a 66.6mm 99.9a limited run with sane riding surface. Like the Bullet 66s were. Then you can do 7ply risers.

I know of 5 heads around town who would make incredible use of such a tool. They ride speed wheels and reissue bones.

It's gotta be f4 tho or just forget it. Not a soul other than I is going to buy a big vintage shape more than once.

That why I think all else is gotta be factory seconds.
Why fuck around when you got the golden goose and bones dragons ain't even close to #2? Whether people know it or not yet.

I took 4 or so mm off my 58mm dragons. Thats a commitment considering the down sides and I'm 100 street.
I don't wanna die in the morning dew on the way to the bus. I can see it coming.

It is tough going back tho. I miss the coasting.
If dragons weren't so slippery on wet I'd stick it out.
If they had the rat bone two in the x99 I'd try again. I'd try Andy's wheel if it was closer to 60mm

Also
It's probably why they targeted us old folk. We are suckas who bought endless bridge and traction bolts and allowed the industry to sell a standardized version of everything for 30 years.

Besides we need to get these lazy ass 50mm pros flipping in and out at 30 mph ok team big ass wheels. Let's go fuck the ride on grinds too. I wanna see ride on inverts like Gonz in braids but faster
[close]

Here’s my guess, these “Burners” are most likely the old F-1 urethane in 99 instead of the 98 and 100 they used to come in before F-4. Probably an attempt to get some of the market share from Bones entry level 100s.

Just wanted to share an update that I noticed about these for those who might be interested:
Tactics has the images of these up and these new Burners are treaded unlike the old F1 urethane.

https://www.tactics.com/spitfire/burner-skateboard-wheels/white-blue-99d

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #7126 on: November 10, 2023, 05:35:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I see the new DLXSF.COM / Spitfire wheels catalog is up, with a new one down the far bottom corner...  Sure they are probably a different wheel, pricepoint / beginner wheel as shown, but I wonder what the deal is with them.

Never seen anything out about them before seeing it here, so I am kind of curious if anyone else has seen or heard about them too?

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/fall-2023-drop-2/

[close]

[close]

Here’s my guess, these “Burners” are most likely the old F-1 urethane in 99 instead of the 98 and 100 they used to come in before F-4. Probably an attempt to get some of the market share from Bones entry level 100s.
[close]

Just wanted to share an update that I noticed about these for those who might be interested:
Tactics has the images of these up and these new Burners are treaded unlike the old F1 urethane.

https://www.tactics.com/spitfire/burner-skateboard-wheels/white-blue-99d

I would be more interested in seeing where they come from, but my guess is they are much more like a generic blank wheel from an unknown manufacturing facility with a Spitfire name on them, than any other past formula or existing wheel they have had before.

I know having tread or having a smooth surface is really just wheel manufacturing choice, but I also feel like the better wheels all had the smooth riding surface, almost like someone realised they skate just right from the first run without the tread, when compared to all the older wheels you had to ease in and wear off the tread first before going too hard, otherwise flat spots or slip outs would be the most common thing to happen in the first session or two.

Also interesting to see the price difference, compared to the original formula and of course Formula Four wheels.

$29.95 for these new ones, which as stated is a starting price wheel

$35.95 to $39.95 for the original formula, most being around $38 price

$41.95 to $48.95 for Formula Four wheels, most being around the $45 price

No Lil Smokies to compare those, but on average they were about the same or lower than the original formula in some shops, but then at the lower end of the other Formula Four wheels in other shops.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

diplodocus

• Rep: 160
  • long neck
« Reply #7127 on: November 13, 2023, 09:04:02 AM »
Would like an opinion on this.

I usually ride radial shapes, so medium width with round edges. I swapped to some Bones V5, a skinny conical, and found my thunders to become way more tippier. Now I swapped to a conical full and my trucks are way more stable. Anyone else find the same thing?

On aces my classics were perfect on that set up. But with the same conical fulls they were too much and felt too much like a tank. Do trucks change how a wheel performs to you?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #7128 on: November 13, 2023, 09:57:30 AM »
I agree and Ihave  tried saying this before but I do believe the contact width impacts how a truck turns/ feels, yes.

Lebowskisrug was adamant that this is impossible because he has friends who work on race cars.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7129 on: November 13, 2023, 10:14:54 AM »
for sure it has an impact look you never tighten the same trucks the same way with hard wheels 52mm or cruiser fat and wide over 56mm.
to me thats not the trucks who change how the wheel feel, thats the wheels who change how the trucks feel.
i always tend to tighten less with my big wheels, even if i risk wheelbite just because it's less agile

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
  • sup dog
« Reply #7130 on: November 13, 2023, 10:47:23 AM »
I just order Bones v1’s x99 52mm.  Set up a new deck and the x97’s v5 were yellow and looked horrible up against a white dipped deck…

It will be a week or two before I can give them a proper skate (lower back is screaming… too much falling last week… feels like a twisted ankle sore)

But looking forward to sharing my experience with them x99 vs x97, and V1 vs. V5.

Repping Gustavo cause he seems like a good guy, and no way in hell I’m skating with skulls on my wheels. I don’t need the reminder that my body is fragile.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7131 on: November 13, 2023, 11:37:31 AM »
I just order Bones v1’s x99 52mm.  Set up a new deck and the x97’s v5 were yellow and looked horrible up against a white dipped deck…

It will be a week or two before I can give them a proper skate (lower back is screaming… too much falling last week… feels like a twisted ankle sore)

But looking forward to sharing my experience with them x99 vs x97, and V1 vs. V5.

Repping Gustavo cause he seems like a good guy, and no way in hell I’m skating with skulls on my wheels. I don’t need the reminder that my body is fragile.

The x99s are significantly whiter (and seem to stay that way). Good match for a white dip and white bushings =D

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7132 on: November 13, 2023, 12:30:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The x99s are significantly whiter (and seem to stay that way). Good match for a white dip and white bushings =D

:o hell yeah, can’t wait! (Though I have black Indy bushings… and black baseplate… is that allowed, or should I just toss the whole board and start over?)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7133 on: November 13, 2023, 01:53:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

:o hell yeah, can’t wait! (Though I have black Indy bushings… and black baseplate… is that allowed, or should I just toss the whole board and start over?)
post a setup
white and black should be fine really
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7134 on: November 13, 2023, 02:08:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
post a setup
white and black should be fine really

Will do. I got a picture from a few days ago with the old board on the setup thread, and the new deck waiting. I’ll post pics of it put together.

(And your sig is amazing: it’s good to have more understanding of those with awkward social interactions. It’s good to be reminded of that especially at skateparks. I’m really awkward myself.  You mean, skateboarding attracts the awkward loners? No way! SHOCKED. lol, I still have social issues, and I’m having to learn to work in a heavy team/customer service environment. It’s rough going, but getting better. A lot of days I wonder what the hell is wrong with me and why can’t I get just be normal around most people.)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7135 on: November 13, 2023, 02:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Of course it's allowed ;) I like to match, if I can (the problem with have too much gear is you can)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7136 on: November 13, 2023, 04:25:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Of course it's allowed ;) I like to match, if I can (the problem with have too much gear is you can)

Posted up on set-up thread.  you're making me want to go buy the white-dipped indy's.

Drool...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 05:32:28 PM by JM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7137 on: November 13, 2023, 05:15:49 PM »
The dragons and x97s potato out so bad, they're one session away from it... possibly worse than F4tatos. They ALL work, yellow or not (if I buy spits I go for colors/swirls..); FYI the 'glow' spits seem to stay 'less brown' for longer.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7138 on: November 13, 2023, 05:49:26 PM »
The dragons and x97s potato out so bad, they're one session away from it... possibly worse than F4tatos. They ALL work, yellow or not (if I buy spits I go for colors/swirls..); FYI the 'glow' spits seem to stay 'less brown' for longer.
rad.  someone with an itching to start a wheel company should call it Skatatos    "Skuh-Tay-Toes"

Make a little cartoon potato busting nice crooked grind.... and call it the Fry-on-Grind.     Could have another ad with a backside Ketchup Slide.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7139 on: November 14, 2023, 11:37:37 AM »
It's been a minute but anyone commit to riding the OJ double duros? They seem to be out of the 'protoype' faze and on the market as pro and team wheels.