Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 20415 times)

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 16, 2023, 11:45:21 AM »
Recently just started playing in a band again. I’ve always considered myself a guitarist but the band needed a bassist so I’m currently on bass duties, which is cool because bass can be just as fun. We’ve already played a couple shows and I’ve been borrowing a friends bass to use for the shows but I recently just picked up a black and white Squier P-Bass from the pawn shop in good condition listed for half off what it would be new. Was stoked to find a good condition bass for that cheap of a price.

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #451 on: October 17, 2023, 05:36:19 PM »
Same here- I play mostly finger style guitar, but am now playing bass in a loud rock band. I was nervous at first, but really love it now. Its definitely improved my guitar playing as well, just being more adventurous up on the neck than I have been before.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #452 on: October 18, 2023, 07:48:08 AM »
Recently just started playing in a band again. I’ve always considered myself a guitarist but the band needed a bassist so I’m currently on bass duties, which is cool because bass can be just as fun. We’ve already played a couple shows and I’ve been borrowing a friends bass to use for the shows but I recently just picked up a black and white Squier P-Bass from the pawn shop in good condition listed for half off what it would be new. Was stoked to find a good condition bass for that cheap of a price.

Bass is the greatest stringed instrument. You control the the subconscious rhythm and melody.

I'm a mediocre guitarist today but I'm one of the best bassist in the history of humans. I switched to guitar for more clout.

Bassist get no love from the general public unless they sing too. It's going to get worse as people have been moving away from bass tones.

I read a study that humans are more attracted towards treble tones these days. That would explain trap and other crappie crap.

A 5 stroke roll on the high hat. Goo goo kitchooo bitch
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #453 on: October 20, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »

Yo I just got to really sit with this peddle I borrowed as an emergency boost last week.

It's alright.
(A)pl(E)

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #454 on: October 22, 2023, 03:37:43 AM »
What's a good practice amp?

When I bought my guitar the shop gave me an Orange Mini Crush for free and while it's a cool little amp (on clean, any distorted tone sounds like a fart) and it has a tuner built in, it kinda sucks.

I'm looking at the Orange Crush 20RT.

I suck, so I mostly play stuff like Nirvana and other bullshit that all beginner guitar players play. I'd love to learn to play poppy stuff like The Smiths, but I think that's probably years down the road for me, haha. I'd honestly love to get a little tube amp, but it seems the decent ones are more money than I want to spend, and I honestly don't think I'm good enough to know the difference.

Orange tiny terror, either model is less than 150, loud, has a single tube and can run clean or high gain. You’re not gonna get much from a single EQ knob, but it definitely sounds good. Running a new pedal to it solves that though. Has an effects loop too.

I have a tiny dark terror and paired it with a 2x12 cab. I like it.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #455 on: October 24, 2023, 08:20:25 AM »
I'm a big supporter of carvin amps.

If I had bread I'd buy that new amp in a peddle combo.

Probably not tho. I'd actually buy that Pia amp that Steve Vai uses.

When I practice now I use a fender mini champ.
I've recorded a bunch with it.

It's hard to beat a fender.
My best practice amp ever was my peavey bandit 212
(A)pl(E)

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2023, 05:28:41 PM »

my brother picked up this beautiful vox v90 off reverb for $500 - almost a full $1000 off its MSRP. although it does need to be setup, it feels great right out of the box. by far the nicest guitar either he or I have owned. equipped with double p90s (my favorite pick up config,) has a nice weight to it for a semi hollow, and the abalone inlays and headstock are a really nice touch... however...

there is a feedback/ buzz when there's no pressure on the strings, and it seems to be coming from the neck pick up. on the bridge, with the tone and volume knobs adjusted, and with the settings on the amp set with the gain down, it was very minimal/ non existent, but on the bridge pick up, despite where the knobs are set, there is some buzzing. even though I can get rid of the buzz on the bridge pick up, there shouldn't be any issues like this with a guitar right out of the box. it arrived today and he noticed the problem right away. also, one of the volume knobs is not flush with the others and is slightly off-kilter.

is this feedback/ buzz because of how the coil is wound, or because the pick up is too hot? I don't have any experience installing or fixing pick up issues, and I don't have a whole lot of knowledge in the electronics/ wiring of a guitar. its a bummer because this is a REALLY nice guitar. he said he was going to reach out to Reverb, and apparently they will direct you to a local guitar shop and even pay for the repair if needed.

any info would be appreciated!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #457 on: November 05, 2023, 04:22:26 PM »
Is the noise only when you are NOT touching the strings? It gets mostly better when you are?

That would be completely normal for a high output single coil.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2023, 01:28:35 PM »
Is the noise only when you are NOT touching the strings? It gets mostly better when you are?

That would be completely normal for a high output single coil.

Yes, that is exactly what's going on. I had a p90 pickup on a gretsch a few years ago and I never had this issue, at least. I don't recall it ever being that bad.

Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 06:10:43 PM by fineslime »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2023, 03:52:56 PM »

So stoked. Dp209 Super Distortion for my Epiphone bja jr.
(A)pl(E)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2023, 03:05:27 AM »
glad to see the bass get some love here!
started straight on bass at 14 cause I thought it would be easier than guitar and I wanted to play in a punk band quick haha....over 30 years later I'm still at it and do not regret my choice of instrument at all. These days I do double duty as lead singer in my current band, it's challenging but real fun.
Here are my babies, Geddy Lee Jazz Bass made in japan. And Sterling Musicman, US made (not to be confused with the Sterling range, that's the Sterling model). I bought that one second-hand around 10 years ago and it's so versatile.....you can play anything with it and the sound is beastly.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2023, 03:32:46 PM »

best free image hosting site

Fuck yeah.

Same. Playing punk is the best.

I'm about to have the album mastered

This is a killer pickup swap. I might do a second pickup. Sick on Gold foil.
(A)pl(E)

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: November 18, 2023, 10:04:24 AM »
was listening to a prog jazz playlist on spotify when I had to stop and see what song and band I was listening to...

it was spanish eddie by the aristocrats off their 2019 album You Know What...?:

I'm sitting there groovin out, thinkin, "damn yeah this is ripping." so I decided to throw on the album that track is on, because if I'm digging it enough to stop and figure out what it is I'm listening to, I want the whole damn piece... lets sweat the album.

lo and behold, this is the opening track:

absoluteeeely shaaaa-reeedddd-innnng. I did a little digging into this band, and it turns out, Guthrie Govan is the guitarist. makes sense.

I'm about halfway through the album and my face has been thoroughly melted several times over.

highly highly highly recomend this album if you're into shredding blues rock, hard rock, and fusion. this is the first thing I've listened to from them and I can't wait to check out their other albums.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2024, 04:47:28 PM »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2024, 05:03:35 PM »

That was rad. No electric guitar sounds, looks, or feels better than a well-played Tele.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2024, 05:22:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was rad. No electric guitar sounds, looks, or feels better than a well-played Tele.

@manysnakes - Austin Jenkins is a ripper. super talented. he played with White Denim for a few years and then left the band when he and Josh Block (original drummer of WD) discovered Leon Bridges at a club in Austin.

here he is playing a custom tele. some great sounding clean licks:

the tele really is the perfect guitar. I love the fuzzy *pangs* you can get out of it, if that makes sense. I have never owned one, but even playing my buddy's squire tele felt surperior to other guitars.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 06:26:47 PM by fineslime »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2024, 06:45:14 PM »
I want a b bender. But I Play it in the G bending position mostly.

Super fun. My favorite guitars are teles and jrs.

I'm thinking about outfitting my Jr with a trapeze tail piece. That way I can have the sympathetic "harp" strings.

I used that bridge part on all my abr1/trapeze guitars before the Jr.. if I had tele I'd just use the headstock. The Jr it's not the best being a 3x3 instead of 6 on a rail or whatever.

I'm going to dump the jelly bean tuners too. They stable but I prefer the feeling of like tulip tuners. I'll probably just go kluson style locking.

The pick up swap really worked out. It's not potted so I can hear everything my hands do. Just like the p90 but no hum and I got the ceramic sound I was looking for.

This kid I grew up near just made the illest fuzz pedal I've ever seen I'm going to get one for the next album.

It's called like the Babi Yar or Baba Yaga fuzz. I think it'd be cool to leave the ole boss peddle I been using since 91 alone for a while. My jhs fuzz face clone was only good for two songs on the last one.

Not enough gain. We used a jhs Japanese (super) fuzz a little. That one was way better for bass.

The Marbehead kids peddle does it all. It doesn't have an external bias tho. I'd have to ad that
(A)pl(E)

rukes

• Rep: 218
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2024, 12:13:02 AM »
I've got the J Mascis tele. It's the nicest playing guitar I got. I don't know if all tele necks are similar, but the neck feels amazing.

I've been thinking about selling up all my amps and pedals (JCM800, JC120, tonne of pedals) and putting the money into a modeller, fender tone master or line 6 helix or similar. I never really play my amps anymore, never really hook up pedals, but these look like an easy way to get everything in a pretty small box.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

rukes

• Rep: 218
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2024, 12:16:37 AM »
Also no maintenance, no tube replacements, no sticky pots.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2024, 08:21:31 AM »
I have never owned one, but even playing my buddy's squire tele felt surperior to other guitars.

I am a Squier-level guitarist, and my only real electric guitar (not counting a $50 thrift store Korean Les Paul copy) is a a bone stock Squier Affinity Tele from 2008 and it's fantastic. My understanding is that the "Classic Vibes" models are even more consistently better. Probably worth checking out.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2024, 08:26:57 AM »

I'm thinking about outfitting my Jr with a trapeze tail piece. That way I can have the sympathetic "harp" strings.

I used that bridge part on all my abr1/trapeze guitars before the Jr.. if I had tele I'd just use the headstock. The Jr it's not the best being a 3x3 instead of 6 on a rail or whatever.

I'm going to dump the jelly bean tuners too. They stable but I prefer the feeling of like tulip tuners. I'll probably just go kluson style locking.

The pick up swap really worked out. It's not potted so I can hear everything my hands do. Just like the p90 but no hum and I got the ceramic sound I was looking for.

This kid I grew up near just made the illest fuzz pedal I've ever seen I'm going to get one for the next album.

It's called like the Babi Yar or Baba Yaga fuzz. I think it'd be cool to leave the ole boss peddle I been using since 91 alone for a while. My jhs fuzz face clone was only good for two songs on the last one.

Not enough gain. We used a jhs Japanese (super) fuzz a little. That one was way better for bass.

The Marbehead kids peddle does it all. It doesn't have an external bias tho. I'd have to ad that

hey flea, you ever see Jack White's tele? thing is filled with bells and whitles and tones of different benders!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2024, 10:41:57 AM »
I've got the J Mascis tele. It's the nicest playing guitar I got. I don't know if all tele necks are similar, but the neck feels amazing.

I've been thinking about selling up all my amps and pedals (JCM800, JC120, tonne of pedals) and putting the money into a modeller, fender tone master or line 6 helix or similar. I never really play my amps anymore, never really hook up pedals, but these look like an easy way to get everything in a pretty small box.

I’ve got a Positive Grid Spark 40. I really like having something I can play at low volumes and with earphones. It’s definitely made me play more.

That said, it doesn’t sound anywhere near as full as my Twin and no one is ever going to mistake it for a real JCM 800. I don’t think the bigger solid state combos really do either.

I’d recommend keeping any amps that you’re really attached to and then get something cheaper for when you just want to play around without any fuss. The Spark is ok but you’re really just buying an app that comes with a speaker. I think the THR, and some of the Boss/Roland stuff sounds better if you’re not using headphones.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2024, 12:01:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hey flea, you ever see Jack White's tele? thing is filled with bells and whitles and tones of different benders!

im going to check it out rn. i live for the cold mountain soundtrack.

what the cat does most times i practice these days. she was doing the loops for this one its how i know its good. plust the sparkles.

def a new one. its made out of part of a song i wrote in high school too
(A)pl(E)

Pasta Monster

« Reply #473 on: January 19, 2024, 07:47:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I have never owned one, but even playing my buddy's squire tele felt surperior to other guitars.
[close]

I am a Squier-level guitarist, and my only real electric guitar (not counting a $50 thrift store Korean Les Paul copy) is a a bone stock Squier Affinity Tele from 2008 and it's fantastic. My understanding is that the "Classic Vibes" models are even more consistently better. Probably worth checking out.
My friend demoed a Squier Jazzmaster. The detail on the frets and nut slots is better than my American Performer Stratocaster. Holding that Jazzmaster made me feel ripped off.

The whole, “American-made is best,” argument is pushed by boomers on guitar forums who also complain about the quality of Gibsons. Japanese-made Gretsch guitars felt superior to the ES models I tried that came from Gibson’s Custom Shop. What really matters is the QC of the factories and whether music shops do QC/setups as well.

My GAS for guitars/amps is so much worse than skateboarding. I’m on the fence when it comes to getting a Magnatone Super Fifteen combo. However, my reasons for not getting it is because:
A) They sponsor Ted Nugent, a pedo douchebag.
B) If I wait until I get hired at a music store’s distribution facility, I can get gear at wholesale price.
C) I can do a round trip to England and come back with a Marshall Studio Vintage combo for the same price of buying one in the US.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #474 on: January 19, 2024, 09:53:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My friend demoed a Squier Jazzmaster. The detail on the frets and nut slots is better than my American Performer Stratocaster. Holding that Jazzmaster made me feel ripped off.

The whole, “American-made is best,” argument is pushed by boomers on guitar forums who also complain about the quality of Gibsons. Japanese-made Gretsch guitars felt superior to the ES models I tried that came from Gibson’s Custom Shop. What really matters is the QC of the factories and whether music shops do QC/setups as well.

With precision CNC machines, it's nearly impossible for the major guitar makers to turn out a shitty solid body electric guitar. Obviously there will be the occasional lemon with a twisted neck or horrible action, but the mean guitar, especially for something like a Fender which was designed from the ground-up by its inventor for assembly line production, is gonna be pretty goddamn good after 70+ years of production, whether the assembly line is in China, Indonesia, Mexico or the US.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: February 20, 2024, 08:48:43 PM »

Isn't that a beautiful guitar. I'm pretty sure I'm going to build a strat next. I want a reverse headstock tho. It's better feeling when you gotta tune live and fast.
I want those new round tip tuners too. I'm replacing my Jr jelly beans with them too. It's supposed to be better on your hands. They look really sick.
Be like my updated version of the 1963 classic.

I was inspired when I saw that LTD s1. I was bummed it's extended scale. I play gutter ass rock and roll not new metal
(A)pl(E)

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #476 on: February 21, 2024, 02:02:31 AM »
flea, the tort looks so good with that burgundy...

finally got my hands on a 60s tube sunn head. now to spend another 6 months prowling marketplace and craigslist for a matching 215 cab.....

recent stupid purchase, keeping on the red theme:

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #477 on: February 21, 2024, 10:32:54 AM »
I got a couple interesting (Japan Exclusive) Fenders, but I really mostly play bass and keys.

I have a solid Warwick bass collection I outta family photo at some point.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: February 25, 2024, 01:38:52 PM »

was testing a few different guitars at guitar walmart today and was shocked they had this same yamaha revstar. this guitar has always looked so good to me, and it played better than I could have imagined. had a lot of power with the help of the double p90s (God tier pickup set up btw,) but it had the playability of a jazz guitar. the price tag was a little steep at +$900, but I know for certain what my next guitar is going to be.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #479 on: February 25, 2024, 04:28:07 PM »
^I’ve been coveting one of those for a while!

I’ve not found the p90 version in person yet but I will say I’ve noticed some variation in finish for the Revstars I’ve played. A few have been amazing and a few have had sharp frets.