Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797896 times)

Acid Drop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6240 on: February 19, 2023, 05:41:15 PM »
Ordered some 52mm 93A Sir Skate Skateboard Wheels. I look forward to seeing how they compare to leading brand product.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6241 on: February 20, 2023, 02:02:39 PM »
i keep checking to see if this thread has had an update to the loophole question, killing me

I keep checking the comments to see if they answer, it’s gotta be creative which I’m a little uneasy about

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6242 on: February 20, 2023, 02:22:20 PM »
Expand Quote
i keep checking to see if this thread has had an update to the loophole question, killing me
[close]

I keep checking the comments to see if they answer, it’s gotta be creative which I’m a little uneasy about

Yea it’s gotta be creative, they make decent wheels, just sucks the market is down another manufacturer if you could call the wizard that, not sure what happened with them but I’m sure gonna miss those wheels, RIP NFG 
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6243 on: February 20, 2023, 02:41:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yea it’s gotta be creative, they make decent wheels, just sucks the market is down another manufacturer if you could call the wizard that, not sure what happened with them but I’m sure gonna miss those wheels, RIP NFG 

Decent wheels that don't slide :\ Not hating, just stating my experience.

You want to slide? F4/STFs (x97s too) everything else is grippy or sticky.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6244 on: February 20, 2023, 03:22:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Decent wheels that don't slide :\ Not hating, just stating my experience.

You want to slide? F4/STFs (x97s too) everything else is grippy or sticky.

Yea I’m not a fan of creatives slide either, hence why I was skating NFG/Loops, prolly end up back on F4s
You want some queso?”

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #6245 on: February 21, 2023, 05:30:15 PM »
just had my first session on 56 Loopholes today for about 4 hours at the park. lots of slide, no bark. feel fine

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 150
« Reply #6246 on: February 21, 2023, 07:52:19 PM »
Been riding the a pair of 56mm wide cut Bones X97s around campus and I gotta say, these things are borderline magical. So many times I've pulled into crust I thought was gonna pitch me and I rolled right over and still maintained some speed. Also not sure if the ground on the parks around me are rougher than what's typical, but I have been whipping on these things at the park; faster than I expected despite it being a softer wheel.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #6247 on: February 21, 2023, 08:48:46 PM »
The x97’s break in nicely too. Mine were kind of grippy at first but slide very nicely now and handle long distance skating well

pops

• Rep: 253
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6248 on: February 21, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »
Are there any advantages riding 87a wheels over 78a wheels?

roll_dog

« Reply #6249 on: February 22, 2023, 06:02:32 AM »

I guess the best way I can word it is that you should only go as soft as you need. 78a wheels are great if you are rolling over some fucked up pavement, but 87a will be faster on a smoother surface.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6250 on: February 22, 2023, 08:06:37 AM »

You can get into powerslides easier compared to 78a wheels (but not as easy as a hard wheel)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
« Reply #6251 on: February 22, 2023, 08:18:20 AM »

Will feel faster on some terrain. Probably won't chunk out as easy if you try to slide them.

pops

• Rep: 253
« Reply #6252 on: February 22, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can get into powerslides easier compared to 78a wheels (but not as easy as a hard wheel)
Expand Quote
[close]

Will feel faster on some terrain. Probably won't chunk out as easy if you try to slide them.
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess the best way I can word it is that you should only go as soft as you need. 78a wheels are great if you are rolling over some fucked up pavement, but 87a will be faster on a smoother surface.

Thank you!

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6253 on: February 26, 2023, 09:13:59 AM »
Got a set of the "new" Autobahn dual duros in the mail from Full Circle Distro. They appear to be the same construction as the ones from several years ago. Still made in the U.S. also. Very accurate bearing seats too and less wobbly runout crap than with a lot of other wheels.

I also noticed "Snot Wheels" are doing some wheels in dual duro now. Apparently they are made at a factory in Texas, if you care about such things. Never tried them but might at some point.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6254 on: February 26, 2023, 03:45:08 PM »
Ordered a set of these since I've never really skated a set of OJs before: https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/56mm-sanbongi-2-original-mini-combo-99a-oj-skateboard-wheels?variant=41976901206173

They should fit my 8.5 setup w/ Ace 55s pretty well.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6255 on: February 27, 2023, 06:36:39 AM »
Got a set of the "new" Autobahn dual duros in the mail from Full Circle Distro. They appear to be the same construction as the ones from several years ago. Still made in the U.S. also. Very accurate bearing seats too and less wobbly runout crap than with a lot of other wheels.

I also noticed "Snot Wheels" are doing some wheels in dual duro now. Apparently they are made at a factory in Texas, if you care about such things. Never tried them but might at some point.

If anyone grabs these please lemme know how these run, I asked about another brand that uses the same factory, and they snuffed me on the answer, while I won’t be buying anything from them in the future I would like to know about the other brands that use this factory out of Texas
You want some queso?”

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #6256 on: February 27, 2023, 12:06:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If anyone grabs these please lemme know how these run, I asked about another brand that uses the same factory, and they snuffed me on the answer, while I won’t be buying anything from them in the future I would like to know about the other brands that use this factory out of Texas

They have the same core, so it's likely

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #6257 on: February 28, 2023, 03:27:42 PM »
If I buy 52mm Loophole wheels in the teardrop shape, which size can I actually expect? Seems like the sizes are never right and up to 2mm off, which would be kinda ok if they are 54mm, but I'd hate to spend the money if they're gonna be 50mm.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6258 on: February 28, 2023, 03:31:59 PM »
If I buy 52mm Loophole wheels in the teardrop shape, which size can I actually expect? Seems like the sizes are never right and up to 2mm off, which would be kinda ok if they are 54mm, but I'd hate to spend the money if they're gonna be 50mm.

People have said the NFG MFG wheels are usually smaller than what is listed, very rarely saying they were the same size or larger.

Guessing 52mm might be 52 or 51 going by what others have said.

Also given they are done and out of business, there would only be limited stock in these, unless they are the new Loophole wheels from Creative - speculation, but it makes sense that is where they are from.

In that case they would most likely be 52mm in size, as they have had their manufacturing dialled down for years, but they wouldn't be the same wheel that people had talked about and loved on here for so long.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6259 on: February 28, 2023, 04:56:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They have the same core, so it's likely

All the more reason to NOT buy them...you won't be sliding shit with those.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #6260 on: March 01, 2023, 10:15:34 AM »
Did anyone else not know Autobahn still existed?

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6261 on: March 01, 2023, 11:11:27 AM »
This guy didn't have problems sliding on the Snot 99A dual duro wheels.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6262 on: March 01, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »

yea any of the new ones you’ll be alright with, creative will have all the QC issues dialed
You want some queso?”

elegant_fox

« Reply #6263 on: March 01, 2023, 04:12:49 PM »
The Shin Sanbongi 56mm OJ mini-combos look really dope:

They feel like a soft 99a, maybe closer to a Spitfire 97a. I've written off OJ in the past, but these feel pretty great. Maybe not as instantly great out of the box as F4, but still pretty good. The look and graphic are top notch though. Going to try this as a jack of all setup on my 8.5 for a bit.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #6264 on: March 01, 2023, 05:16:59 PM »
This guy didn't have problems sliding on the Snot 99A dual duro wheels.

I didn’t have any trouble sliding them either.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #6265 on: March 02, 2023, 07:59:25 AM »
What are 84b wheels like ?

lol i think these actually look pretty dope ... its too bad the art was not better on the graphic but the idea is cool

elegant_fox

« Reply #6266 on: March 02, 2023, 08:21:04 AM »

lol i think these actually look pretty dope ... its too bad the art was not better on the graphic but the idea is cool

84b is my personal preference for a transition wheel in concrete skateparks. They’re fantastic at keeping speed and momentum whereas I’ve found 99a F4 to be slightly saggy on the same surface. If you’re primarily an F4 rider, these will feel faster and more slippery which some folks don’t jive with. They’re not ice-balls per se, they do grip well, but they have different traction breakaway characteristics compared to a grippy-chattery F4 99a.

I’m hoping to try the 101 F4s at my park soon and they’ll probably be a better comparison to the 84bs.
The downside of SPF is they’re single purpose wheels, they’re unusable outside of a skatepark or maybe an LA sidewalk.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #6267 on: March 02, 2023, 08:23:36 AM »
they sound awesome besides the fact i cant ride them on street :(  i guess i would be better to just stick with STF if i want bones

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6268 on: March 02, 2023, 08:31:45 AM »

They are not an all around wheel, but they are the best in certain situations.

If it is a smooth concrete bowl they are my favorite wheel hands down.  They are the fastest wheel I have used in this environment.  Grip is good for being so hard. They can revert/slide some, but not as well as an STF or F4 101 so if it's not a street type park wheel.  If you are doing boardslides on a ledge they do stick more than the ones above.

On pavement they are horrible.  Chattery and no benefits over any of the other hard wheels. 

I always have a board with SPFs and ceramic bearings set up for my local flow/bowl park.   I always have another board set up for when I'm not there.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6269 on: March 02, 2023, 10:47:17 PM »

Just in case anyone is confused by the different ratings scales, the easiest way to work things out is like this:

A scale - only goes up to 100, so technically you can't have a 101 A wheel, but a lot of companies do it anyway.

70 - 80 A way softer than everything
80 - 89 A is a very soft skateboard wheel, more for cruisers and the like
90 - 95 A is still a soft wheel, but can usually make noise and slide more like a normal wheel
96-97 A is a slightly softer / more girppy wheel, but way more like a normal wheel
98-101 A is a "normal" skateboard wheel, hard and fast, will make noise when sliding more often than not

B scale - 20 points lower in comparison to the A scale, but can go a lot higher than the usual A scale too.

80 - 84 B equals 100 to 104 A, if there was a comparison, so they are "off the chart" so to speak when being compared to the A scale.

Working in skate shops and being very aware of this, I have seen many times where people get the scales confused, or don't even realise there are two different scales, so people who want soft wheels buy Bones 84B, or others who have had hard wheels buy the 80 duro wheels, or something like the Spitfire 80HD (80 on the A scale) or something similar thinking they were hard wheels when in fact they are not and are very soft.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.