Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 787620 times)

chris. and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6180 on: February 03, 2023, 04:24:28 PM »
Dual duro wheels already happened and got discontinued.. Multiple times both ways.

If the outside is still the elite formula why bother? They will just bounce more and unseat in hot weather

Yeah, not sure what the revelation over at NHS is all about...Autobahn ran these for years...GRANTED that thane was sticky/grippy AF, so maybe these are different?

No mention of Elite, but only "OJ IIs) so yeah, wouldn't touch them...now the elite thane in a double duro, or elite wrapped around regs ojs...maybe...but not as a Mini Combo....clearly they have an idea who this wheel marketed towards (re-issue crowd?/their answer to dragons).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 04:32:32 PM by Xen »

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #6181 on: February 03, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »
Not sure how I feel about these, but putting here anyway.  Green available soon in all shapes and sizes.

So gross... I think all art is subjective, but this feels like one of those things that is close to objectively bad. 100% saturation green and red clash so hard in a big bad way.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6182 on: February 03, 2023, 07:07:19 PM »
Green wheels? Sure.

That intern graphic? No. The Marketing? no.

Red and green at 100% clash?

Seriously, have you seen any traditional Chinese art?

Do you hate Christmas?

but...but my 2 yr. graphic design degree says....

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6183 on: February 03, 2023, 07:15:56 PM »
Powell’s marketing is depressing. I’ve got both the dragons and the 97 formula wheels and genuinely like them both. I even like regular stf spf and the 99a dirty birds. I even have mini logo trucks and a couple decks. All of which are good products.
But everything they do marketing wise is just the worst. It’s sad, really.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6184 on: February 03, 2023, 07:40:20 PM »
Green wheels? Sure.

That intern graphic? No. The Marketing? no.

Red and green at 100% clash?

Seriously, have you seen any traditional Chinese art?

Do you hate Christmas?

but...but my 2 yr. graphic design degree says....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6185 on: February 03, 2023, 08:57:43 PM »
Powell’s marketing is depressing. I’ve got both the dragons and the 97 formula wheels and genuinely like them both. I even like regular stf spf and the 99a dirty birds. I even have mini logo trucks and a couple decks. All of which are good products.
But everything they do marketing wise is just the worst. It’s sad, really.

I don't think they even try anymore they have their marketshare and they seem comfortable with it.

1st place bearings
2nd place wheels

Tie for tech decks flight vs VX (same shit different press); tho VX feels more 'profressional grade' as it has a better fit and finish imo.

Graphics that would still work on the 80s because that's their schtick..

For the record, I currently own/have in rotation plenty of Skate One gear, ML trucks, flights, stfs, swiss, dragons, x97s. Great stuff.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #6186 on: February 04, 2023, 07:15:32 AM »
And with the team…..it’s like they do it on purpose…..’anyone just lose a board sponsor?  You…..who are you? Great, you’re on…..’

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6187 on: February 04, 2023, 10:34:14 AM »

Yeah, not sure what the revelation over at NHS is all about...Autobahn ran these for years...GRANTED that thane was sticky/grippy AF, so maybe these are different?

If anyone cares Full Circle Distro still has some Autobahn Wheels for sale, including different types of the dual duro wheels.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6188 on: February 04, 2023, 12:54:51 PM »
I have a wheel madness theory after scrolling through too many instagram posts looking at setups.

It seems like:
  • Bones riders = graphic out
  • Spitfire riders = graphic in

It's dumb, but I can't stop seeing it now.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6189 on: February 04, 2023, 03:41:41 PM »
The dragons in below zero weather is the best feeling I've ever felt maybe. So fast.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6190 on: February 04, 2023, 07:11:08 PM »
I have a wheel madness theory after scrolling through too many instagram posts looking at setups.

It seems like:
  • Bones riders = graphic out
  • Spitfire riders = graphic in

It's dumb, but I can't stop seeing it now.

Weird...maybe  bones riders have to ride them that way?

Personally, I stopped giving a fuck and just grab them and put them on the way the last bearing went in + I rotate them anyway.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #6191 on: February 04, 2023, 07:28:25 PM »
My take…..bones pays their riders, spitfire only pays a select few…..

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #6192 on: February 04, 2023, 08:04:01 PM »
Here's how the 60mm Rat Bones with the Dragon formula fit on indy 169s with the 9.05 flight deck. They stick out more than the P5 shapes, those are tucked under the board rail. The Rat Bones seem to be out by 1/16th or so. It's a monster wheel for sure and it's wildly faster than the 88a Alva conicals I'm usually cruising on. It feels like how 84b SPF rides on smooth concrete, but on asphalt.

I'm recovering from a rib injury, but I'm really curious to see how these stack up against the 84bs in the park. I'm sure it'll be slower, but to what degree is what I'll find out. For now, this is a great ATV.

Wow, that's like Dodge Dart or Mustang muscle car or something, in a good way.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6193 on: February 04, 2023, 11:16:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if it’s been posted yet but OJ is close to dropping the “coconut formula” dual duro wheels. Price feels insane.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/blogs/nhs-skate-direct/two-durometers-in-one-wheel-introducing-oj-double-durometer
[close]

$17 more than F4s?

Ain’t no way I’m paying $60 for OJ’s lol
fuck you bama

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #6194 on: February 04, 2023, 11:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if it’s been posted yet but OJ is close to dropping the “coconut formula” dual duro wheels. Price feels insane.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/blogs/nhs-skate-direct/two-durometers-in-one-wheel-introducing-oj-double-durometer
[close]

$17 more than F4s?

[close]
Ain’t no way I’m paying $60 for OJ’s lol

Neither am I. Gonna wait for them to go on sale unless… any NHS employee has some spare 54 or 52mm wheels they’d like to DM me about. And if they throw some of those Indy stage 4s my opinions can be bought.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #6195 on: February 05, 2023, 01:15:42 AM »
How important is wheel size for skating rails? Does it actually help lock in or do i just need to get better

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6196 on: February 05, 2023, 02:29:05 AM »
Got the Dragons - Rat Bone 1 shape 60mm/40mm.

Rough ground/outdoor tarmac/black top - Wow - these go like shit off a stick!!!!

Not quite Red Kryps or even Keyframe cruiser comfort IMO but as fast as you need. Nice clattery harder wheel feel. (I am ok with “soft” feel anywhere, have slappied 78 / 87s before, love it all but these are yeah, nice).

Concrete park smooth - “feel” is much softer here, for sure. But hold speed and momentum. Barely a difference from F4 97a. It’s not gonna hold you back. If you need that ultimate zip, like others said use 101s here.

Mini ramp - feel fine here. Only had a few runs but didn’t seem to get that bogged down feeling you get below 97a.

Grinds/slides - Forgot all about it, cant say I noticed any stick or screech at all, maybe above my skill level but not worth caring about IMO.

Powerslides - reckon these are as advertised, but still wearing off the treads so not fair to review.

YMMV but decided I’m sticking to F4 101 or 97 for daily driver small popsicle times, 2 identical setups (looked at x97s but hate skinny contact patch’s).

But if you happen to have a real big/old school board you like to ride for a change, or comfort or ramps... These must blow everything else away for versatility in that area.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6197 on: February 05, 2023, 06:27:39 AM »
How important is wheel size for skating rails? Does it actually help lock in or do i just need to get better

I'd say not at all as long as you're above 51mm maybe. Jumping on a round rail with rounded down 47mm wheels doesn't feel that safe...but still works

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6199 on: February 06, 2023, 05:26:36 PM »
Has anyone tried the Santa Cruz slime balls? I’ve never given them much thought, but I picked up a Jeff Kendall reissue and thought about matching the wheel set to it.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #6200 on: February 06, 2023, 06:13:35 PM »
Has anyone tried the Santa Cruz slime balls? I’ve never given them much thought, but I picked up a Jeff Kendall reissue and thought about matching the wheel set to it.

I had a set of the 97a 53mm blue ones and I swear that they were slower and felt like they rolled harder than my  99a54mm formula fours

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6201 on: February 06, 2023, 08:58:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a set of the 97a 53mm blue ones and I swear that they were slower and felt like they rolled harder than my  99a54mm formula fours

This was my experience with them. Feels like a 99a, but slower and slightly more grip

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6202 on: February 07, 2023, 11:06:03 AM »
I might go in the sewer for an OG but not a regular classic.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6203 on: February 07, 2023, 12:28:52 PM »

Size definitely makes a difference but shape also makes a sizeable difference. You can get away with a smaller wheel in a tablet or V shape than with a classic shape because it's easier to fit a rail into the sharp angle that the wheel makes with your truck. With that said there will be more friction in the grind as opposed to a classic shape because more of the wheel is making contact with the rail, which is why I personally opt for classic shapes. It may be a little more tricky to lock into the grind but it'll glide along the rail better.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6204 on: February 07, 2023, 07:04:14 PM »
https://youtu.be/hONy4CicAow?t=170

Incoming Bones X 95/99s?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #6205 on: February 08, 2023, 01:18:12 AM »

Incoming Bones X 95/99s?

Might actually cop the 95 just so I don't have to have green dragons on my wheels anymore lol
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #6206 on: February 08, 2023, 01:29:49 AM »
Maybe the 99 will actually not drag on grinds but still feel a bit softer/smoother than f4 99s, fingers crossed

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6207 on: February 08, 2023, 06:58:59 AM »
If it’s a 99 that skates a bit better on crust I’m in. But spits just break into slides easier and feel more controllable than the bones I skated. But V5 is the superior shape.  So I neee spitfire to make a v5 or bones 99 to slide a bit better

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6208 on: February 08, 2023, 08:21:10 AM »

Incoming Bones X 95/99s?

It would be incredibly stupid to keep selling the current stf 99a. I really hope that's true.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6209 on: February 08, 2023, 10:14:15 AM »
Expand Quote

Incoming Bones X 95/99s?
[close]

It would be incredibly stupid to keep selling the current stf 99a. I really hope that's true.

People are afraid try something new and BONES can't lose the STF branding (hence X formula)...I'm sure there are some 99a STF diehards out there (why is anyone's guess)...

As a [big] fan of the x97s a 99 would be very interesting, hopefully in V1/V2, tho I wonder if the v5+ sizes are due to how the formula feels/holds up.