Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796903 times)

Barack Hussein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6870 on: September 20, 2023, 09:41:18 AM »

dyed some 60mm classics. after skating conical fulls the classics just feel right

These look sick! Whats the technique on dyeing wheels like that? I've heard Rit Synthetic is good, but I've always wondered if heating up the wheels messes with the feel at all. I wanna try.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6871 on: September 20, 2023, 09:44:17 AM »
@Mbrimson88 angle grinded wheels are the bomb! Closest I could get to Radial Slims since DLX stopped producing them. I'd continue to ride the few sets he passed me but I rode them down to 50mm which is torture for the ride from bus stop to park.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6872 on: September 20, 2023, 10:05:53 AM »
Expand Quote
How? Spit classics are 33.6mm wide in a size 54, however, riding surface is only 16.4.
A spit conical in size 54, is only 32.1mm wide, but has a wider riding surface of 20.1. It will wear a little bit slower, but it wont take long before they are almost equal, and then the classics will actually have a wider surface.

Wheels wear very fast, imo. I've started buying 54mm wheels (which I hate with passion), instead of 52, bcuz they wear so fast. I cant imagine how my wheels would have been if I skated every single day...
[close]

i am very curious the math of the wearing. i wanna know the wearing info of different wheels. i would like to see a poll or discussion topic just for that.

edit: i remember, ben degros said something like "after 6 months, my 52 mm spits wear down to 47 and my trucks dies. i replace them together."

i want to know this type info.

Thats gonne be some tough math! Wheel wear is dependent on things like rider weight, ground, temperature etc.
But yes, I used to skate 52mm classic spits, and they did get to like 50mm within 2 months, so its in route with Ben Degros. I'd imagine im heavier and skate shittier ground then him too...

frtzgn95

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6873 on: September 20, 2023, 12:24:41 PM »

If you are keen, I can measure a few sets and give you some numbers as to what they actually end up as, from every mm from new down to worn out and done, as I have a whole lot of well used, finished with or otherwise random wheels missing full sets or whatever.

Any which way, it is interesting to see how they shape down, from Classic through Radial shape to fat Tablets and whatever else in between.

goblin in my head whispering me to ask you for more info. it is not madness, right?

Thats gonne be some tough math! Wheel wear is dependent on things like rider weight, ground, temperature etc.
But yes, I used to skate 52mm classic spits, and they did get to like 50mm within 2 months, so its in route with Ben Degros. I'd imagine im heavier and skate shittier ground then him too...

it makes sense that it didn't go down to 46 coz it is getting wider and slower for wearing after 6 months.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #6874 on: September 20, 2023, 05:31:34 PM »

dyed some 60mm classics. after skating conical fulls the classics just feel right

These looks awesome!  Any updated pics on the board or after skating them?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6875 on: September 20, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »
@Mbrimson88 angle grinded wheels are the bomb! Closest I could get to Radial Slims since DLX stopped producing them. I'd continue to ride the few sets he passed me but I rode them down to 50mm which is torture for the ride from bus stop to park.

Time for you to get one of those small battery angle grinders???

They really do come in handy for me, out and about to do things, but I am not thinking you would take it everywhere, just out when you want to fix some wheels and don't want the noise around home.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6876 on: September 21, 2023, 06:47:54 AM »
I gotta save my money for this next mechanic bill coming up... I reaaaallllly want to get one... $139 Canadian (i have some dewalt batteries already for my trimmer so can save some money buying tool only) would love to make some Road Bike Tires  ;D

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6877 on: September 22, 2023, 05:45:10 AM »
HLC just posted a video saying something like after 4 years of R and D that they gonna start pouring wheels, have skated a couple shop HLC decks and they’ve been pretty good, not to mention my homie at the park got one of those skate mafia minis and we’ve been having fun on that as well, wonder if the wheels are gonna be worth a shit 
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

AdditionalSlip

• Rep: -27
« Reply #6878 on: September 22, 2023, 05:57:50 AM »
HLC just posted a video saying something like after 4 years of R and D that they gonna start pouring wheels, have skated a couple shop HLC decks and they’ve been pretty good, not to mention my homie at the park got one of those skate mafia minis and we’ve been having fun on that as well, wonder if the wheels are gonna be worth a shit

A local skateshop handed some prototypes out round here, people like them

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #6879 on: September 22, 2023, 06:43:07 AM »

Wrong thread, sorry.
I can’t look past HLC’s “one wheelbase fits all”-philosophy.
Any info if they will offer multiple sizes?
I wonder if all sizes be same width.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6880 on: September 22, 2023, 06:44:04 AM »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 637
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6881 on: September 22, 2023, 07:15:06 AM »
i was handed a prototype in march (Butter formula / S.R shape you can find in the catalog given by @Richard Skidder). They said it's supposed to be as good as F4s. I was kinda sceptical at first and asked for a sample to try them. I gotta admit i've been pleased by how they perform. For all these months I didn't feel the need to swap them for my usual F4s (and i wanted to test their durability too).
They feel a bit different from F4 but not in a bad way (hard to describe though), they are great and they will be way less expensive (70€-75€ for F4 is a bit too much).
I'm really considering making a run of these wheels for my shop.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 07:25:37 AM by BALARGUE »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6882 on: September 22, 2023, 08:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wrong thread, sorry.
I can’t look past HLC’s “one wheelbase fits all”-philosophy.
Any info if they will offer multiple sizes?
I wonder if all sizes be same width.
Sure they love that 14.2, crazy.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #6883 on: September 22, 2023, 09:09:51 AM »
i was handed a prototype in march (Butter formula / S.R shape you can find in the catalog given by @Richard Skidder). They said it's supposed to be as good as F4s. I was kinda sceptical at first and asked for a sample to try them. I gotta admit i've been pleased by how they perform. For all these months I didn't feel the need to swap them for my usual F4s (and i wanted to test their durability too).
They feel a bit different from F4 but not in a bad way (hard to describe though), they are great and they will be way less expensive (70€-75€ for F4 is a bit too much).

I'm wondering if maybe these are the new formula that is "more like NFG" someone mentioned for Loophole a little bit ago

FandomCereal

• Rep: -8
  • i'm a complete newbie
« Reply #6884 on: September 22, 2023, 10:31:43 AM »
anyone ever had any of these? found them on amazon, once the cal7 razortails i'm gonna try making my own board
- the worst skater on the planet DO NOT LISTEN TO MY ADVICE

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #6885 on: September 22, 2023, 10:53:11 AM »
anyone ever had any of these? found them on amazon, once the cal7 razortails i'm gonna try making my own board

I'm skating the Nano Cubics right now they're pretty good. Haven't skated Super Juices but I know people that have and I've heard good things. Never skated that other one.

I would recommend Nano Cubics if you intend on skating skateparks or street spots. They're good for cruising too but not ideal. I would recommend the Super Juices if you specifically intend on cruising, they'll handle all the rough terrain you can imagine but won't do so well at skateparks.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #6886 on: September 22, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »
I cant explain it and don't have any good reason, but something about the shape of the nano cubics deeply offends me
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #6887 on: September 22, 2023, 12:30:25 PM »

Super Juices rule if you’re just skating hills or using your board as a mode of transportation.

The 95a OJ/Slimeballs are kinda obsolete now that dragons and x97 exist. They’re grippy but feel slow and unresponsive.

I haven’t skated the nano cubics, I’m not into the shape. The urethane is good though.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6888 on: September 22, 2023, 01:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm wondering if maybe these are the new formula that is "more like NFG" someone mentioned for Loophole a little bit ago

I thought they were going through acid wheel co or whatever? Wonder if they gonna switch up again
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #6889 on: September 22, 2023, 01:25:16 PM »

Can’t do colored wheels, but this combo you did a hell of a job on. Can’t go wrong with red and black.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #6890 on: September 22, 2023, 01:30:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I thought they were going through acid wheel co or whatever? Wonder if they gonna switch up again

Definitely through Acid right now but unless Acid has a new formula that is wildly different than what they have currently they are very not NFG like.  Really solid wheel just not like NFG

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6891 on: September 22, 2023, 04:58:47 PM »
interesting that they are going 99a and 98a, if anyone has experience and can speak to the difference in the two that'd be cool

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #6892 on: September 22, 2023, 07:22:47 PM »
I cant explain it and don't have any good reason, but something about the shape of the nano cubics deeply offends me

Then you're effectively hating on 40 years of skateboarding history. The cubic shape is classic, and was a really important wheel for the progression of street, slappies, and more technical transition skating.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 637
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6893 on: September 23, 2023, 01:06:54 AM »
interesting that they are going 99a and 98a, if anyone has experience and can speak to the difference in the two that'd be cool

The butter formula I’m using is 98a.
It’s not like it feels way different than 99a (F4 being my gotos).
It’s been months soooo I’ll swap them with my F4 99a during the weekend and report back

My engineer opinion is humans aren’t able to feel the difference between a 98a and a 99a like a machine would measure it… especially across brands.
I could even say it’s nothing but a number (and some product segmentation / marketing) and what matters is the material / the formula / the feeling you get.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #6894 on: September 23, 2023, 01:34:11 AM »

Hope you do!
Sign me the fuck up for 52mm SR shape butters. They look sick.
You have any gist of what the pricing will be like?
I guess it’ll be somewhat depend on the volume one orders?

Here’s a link to HLC’s catalog for those interested:

https://mfg.hlcdist.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogos/hlc-oem-catalogue-skateboard.pdf
Thanks 🙏
They actually look really promising. Hoping brands available to me chooses to pick up sizes/shapes I’m into.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #6895 on: September 23, 2023, 01:37:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My engineer opinion is humans aren’t able to feel the difference between a 98a and a 99a like a machine would measure it… especially across brands.
I could even say it’s nothing but a number (and some product segmentation / marketing) and what matters is the material / the formula / the feeling you get.

You are absolutely correct. I’ve seen a few tests where the wheels will be several points off from what they are marketed as. I’ve also seen 4 wheels from the same package measure all different duros

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #6896 on: September 23, 2023, 04:15:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Then you're effectively hating on 40 years of skateboarding history. The cubic shape is classic, and was a really important wheel for the progression of street, slappies, and more technical transition skating.

I also think that cubic wheels look gross. Symmetrical shapes are balanced and timeless. I feel like lock-ins and Nano cubics are gimmicky designs that are lying to children.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #6897 on: September 23, 2023, 08:40:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I also think that cubic wheels look gross. Symmetrical shapes are balanced and timeless. I feel like lock-ins and Nano cubics are gimmicky designs that are lying to children.

I read a Natas interview where he said he was really glad to ditch the big bulky powell wheels and get on some santa cruz freestyle wheels... that's where the progress really exploded.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6898 on: September 23, 2023, 08:48:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The butter formula I’m using is 98a.
It’s not like it feels way different than 99a (F4 being my gotos).
It’s been months soooo I’ll swap them with my F4 99a during the weekend and report back

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You are absolutely correct. I’ve seen a few tests where the wheels will be several points off from what they are marketed as. I’ve also seen 4 wheels from the same package measure all different duros

thanks you two, that's exactly the info i was after. looking forward to the f4 comparison

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6899 on: September 23, 2023, 09:56:18 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Hope you do!
Sign me the fuck up for 52mm SR shape butters. They look sick.
You have any gist of what the pricing will be like?
I guess it’ll be somewhat depend on the volume one orders?

Expand Quote
Here’s a link to HLC’s catalog for those interested:

https://mfg.hlcdist.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogos/hlc-oem-catalogue-skateboard.pdf
[close]
Thanks 🙏
They actually look really promising. Hoping brands available to me chooses to pick up sizes/shapes I’m into.

I'm intrigued by these new HLC wheels for sure (I already like HLC/Jart/Sour deck shapes with their 14.2 wheelbases:) I also think its nice that there will be some made in Europe wheel options too. I certainly don't think it will hurt for Spitfire and Powell/Bones to have some extra competition and agree that their current prices feel somewhat too high (at least here in England where you're talking around £60.00/$73.00 for dragons, F4's etc).