Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796954 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7140 on: November 14, 2023, 03:11:34 PM »
It's been a minute but anyone commit to riding the OJ double duros? They seem to be out of the 'protoype' faze and on the market as pro and team wheels.

@yourbreakfsat is the man for that.  Posted a good review and had said he would have preferred getting his money back or something similar, which was all I needed to know about those wheels.

They are the most expensive wheels on the market here in AU, not sure about elsewhere, but even more expensive than / beating out the fast rise in Spitfire Formula Four wheel prices, only without the good things that Formula Four wheels bring to session.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg4100200#msg4100200

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • sup dog
« Reply #7141 on: November 25, 2023, 09:09:54 PM »
X99’s vs x97 report:

X99’s are higher pitched squeak, sound like normal wheel but not as crazy barky as SPF.

Noticeably more hard than x97 and rolls over crunchy asphalt pretty well, but not as good as x97… but still magically good.

Easier to slide around than x97.

I think for my rickety old joints, I may go back to x97 if only for the softer landings.

If I was young and buck, I would enjoy the x99’s more as they are closer to “normal” skate wheels, and don’t have the weird soft rolling sound.

Definitely getting V1 next time as well, as they are more fun than V5 to do any tricks on. 

(V1 and V5 have the same ride patch for 52mm so it shouldn’t have anything to do with ability to smooth out crust)

Final thought: if x99 became the only option, I wouldn’t be mad because it surely could be more widely accepted by skaters since it doesn’t have the soft wheel dead sound like the x97’s kind of have. And if I get too old to skate hard wheels completely, then I should move my ass to Dragons anyway. I do like the middle ground of soft vs. hard with the x97’s though.  I can see why Bones did x99’s on rider feedback because the x97’s don’t sound or feel EXACTLY like a “normal wheel” even though they slide and grip just fine, if not for just maybe a little too grippy for bluntslides.)
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #7142 on: November 25, 2023, 10:12:23 PM »
Wheel recommendations for a jack of all trades master of none street and park wheel? Looking for something with grip at the smooth concrete park, but still retain some speed on the asphalt. Riding some 99a STF wheels currently and they feel mushy and slow on the road so I'm skeptical about going even softer like the F4 97a or the dragon 93a. I typically like the way a harder wheels roll and feel but haven't found the right one for grip at the park. Looking for something around 54mm in a classic shape.

Edit: more or less looking for a hard wheel that is still grippy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 10:42:10 PM by Kaydubbb »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7143 on: November 25, 2023, 10:42:33 PM »
99a Spits since you are split smooth park and decent (?) asphalt. Otherwise x99s in 99a V5 shape (closest to classics from camp bones but a bit more cutaway).

Skip the 93a dragons unless you are hitting crusty crust.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 11:06:17 PM by Xen »

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #7144 on: November 25, 2023, 11:55:39 PM »
99a Spits since you are split smooth park and decent (?) asphalt. Otherwise x99s in 99a V5 shape (closest to classics from camp bones but a bit more cutaway).

Do the x formula 99a feel much different from the STF 99a?

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #7145 on: November 26, 2023, 12:28:30 AM »
X99 is the shit if you're looking for an all-around wheel. Reality is that there's no wheel that's a be-all-end-all wheel to tackle everything, but the X99 comes pretty close. Handles everything from rough asphalt to slippery indoor parks (where e.g. F4 can feel too slippery for many people) while feeling like a real wheel and not deadly silent like e.g. Dragons. The slide and bark are there, too.

X97 is good as well and feels more like a real wheel compared to Dragons, but is a bit slower than the X99. Slides great, less bark, wears out fast.

Dragons are awesome for some really f*cking crusty shit but I don't really like them anywhere else as they are too silent and soft-feeling for my taste. But if the lack of "feel" is not a problem, they work pretty much everywhere as well. Friend of mine rides them everywhere from smooth concrete parks to indoors. They are surprisingly fast.

Haven't flatspotted any of these yet. The X97 seems to wear out fast, though.

All in all Powell and Bones have done some fantastic work on wheels lately.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7146 on: November 26, 2023, 03:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely! Even the X formula 97a slide better than the STF 99a.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7147 on: November 26, 2023, 05:30:30 AM »
for those of you that likes bones: do you consider the x99s and x97s as slide-able? i ask, i was told in person that dragons were great for hills/crust. i would say that dragons are great for crust, and that hills are pretty tough if you want to do any speed checks. f4s speed check and get right back into going down the hill, the dragons feel like….very slightly harder keyframes. on the rough asphalt they don’t slide. and they bounce.

rikki

« Reply #7148 on: November 26, 2023, 05:41:29 AM »
for those of you that likes bones: do you consider the x99s and x97s as slide-able? i ask, i was told in person that dragons were great for hills/crust. i would say that dragons are great for crust, and that hills are pretty tough if you want to do any speed checks. f4s speed check and get right back into going down the hill, the dragons feel like….very slightly harder keyframes. on the rough asphalt they don’t slide. and they bounce.

Definitely slideable, especially the X99.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7149 on: November 26, 2023, 06:31:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but lemme ask you this lemme ask you this! were you able to slide dragons?
maybe it’s just a me issue

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7150 on: November 26, 2023, 07:02:11 AM »
x99 great all-rounder yup 👍

X97 is greater all rounder too, especially if you have bumpy asphalt you need to get over to make it to the smooth skatepark. But damn, they will gouge if you do hard power slides in the rough. Little rocks taking scoops. Personally, I really love being able to roll around on the crust every now and then. Less worrying.

The x99 does okay too, just a bit louder on rough ground. If I was doing bluntalides I’d probably prefer them for sure.

Both do nose slides just fine. And crooked. (I don’t remember ever getting caught or stuck)

I wish I had STF experience to compare. I only have F4 99, bones 99, SPF 84B, x97, x99.

F499 felt slow compared to SPF and x97 (x99) on smooth skatepark concrete. Bones 99 did somewhere in the middle, but damn were they soft and silent. They should discontinue the bones 99 and just run the x formula hard. Magic wheels.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7151 on: November 26, 2023, 09:23:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dragons slide amazing on asphalt. Not so much on smooth concrete. The worse the ground, the better the slide

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7152 on: November 26, 2023, 11:00:28 AM »
Dragons slide well on asphalt and I felt the 97 slid better than my 99s.

No way in hell the X99 are as fast as F499 on smooth skatepark concrete, but the difference isn't super huge.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7153 on: November 26, 2023, 11:08:54 AM »

No way in hell the X99 are as fast as F499 on smooth skatepark concrete, but the difference isn't super huge.
Same wheel shape on then 97/99 slide comparison? That would be a bummer if they slide worse

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7154 on: November 26, 2023, 11:21:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, the 99a STF are really a terrible wheel since whatever reformulation they did.

Yes, both the x97 and x99 slide just fine, they shine on, as one can assume, rough terrain...try sliding a 99a or 101a anybrand on rough terrain and see what happens.

x99s slide better on smooth surfaces say, for blunt or lip slides than an x97, better for pinch grinds too.

Mixed terrain where you don't want to swap wheels, x99s will server you everywhere.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 11:40:45 AM by Xen »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
« Reply #7155 on: November 26, 2023, 12:20:12 PM »
How much are you guys sliding? Really? Like are you referring to power slides or those that include blunts, nose slides etc.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7156 on: November 26, 2023, 12:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Same wheel shape on then 97/99 slide comparison? That would be a bummer if they slide worse

Shit now that I think of it I'm not sure what shape my Dragons were. X97 and 99 both V5. I do feel that the slide of the 99 is more controllable and predictable. They're all pretty good for what they're designed for and the V5 shape is great.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7157 on: November 26, 2023, 12:43:27 PM »
How much are you guys sliding? Really? Like are you referring to power slides or those that include blunts, nose slides etc.

Slight reverts on rotational tricks, out of certain stalls, also just speed checking sometimes or power sliding into a few slappies (sw power slide into slappy nose is an easy and fun one).

I notice it mostly when my 180 is a 170 or 190 if that makes sense. On park coping I found pinched grinds to stick or be slower and randomly one curb spot, but I don't really consider that the same thing since wax and material factor in.

I tend to just prefer the feel of F4 on the terrain I skate, there's nothing inherently wrong with the X formula and at a few places I find them to be super advantageous. I just don't skate those kinds of spots enough to be worth the downsides I experience other places.

I'd recommend them any day depending on what the person wants. F4 and the X formula are the 2 best formulas out and I don't think anything Creative or NHS do comes close.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7158 on: November 26, 2023, 06:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, the 99a STF are really a terrible wheel since whatever reformulation they did.

Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, both the x97 and x99 slide just fine, they shine on, as one can assume, rough terrain...try sliding a 99a or 101a anybrand on rough terrain and see what happens.

x99s slide better on smooth surfaces say, for blunt or lip slides than an x97, better for pinch grinds too.

Mixed terrain where you don't want to swap wheels, x99s will server you everywhere.

this is not my experience: f4 99s slide great on these trash roads, or good enough to check the speed.
i’m skating on very rough asphalt, intermixed with weather beaten asphalt, and the dragons are rad, until i need to slide. then it’s just power carve and acceleration, or a lil tiny grabby slide that bucks me off. maybe they’ll break in, ‘maybe’ it’s because i’m trash (true), but my experience isn’t matching ya’lls, at all.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7159 on: November 26, 2023, 06:05:10 PM »

for me, i’m really only talking about speed checks on hills. i couldn’t bluntslide to save my life.
powerslides are what i’m bitching about.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #7160 on: November 26, 2023, 06:53:44 PM »
Just setup some 59mm Radial Fulls. Not as ridiculous looking as I expected. Really excited to ride em a bit and see how they go.

Won't be on main setup, mostly for spot exploration & commuting to work.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #7161 on: November 26, 2023, 07:08:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

for me, i’m really only talking about speed checks on hills. i couldn’t bluntslide to save my life.
powerslides are what i’m bitching about.
Blunt powerslides.  It's all the fun of a bluntslide, but without the need for all that popping nonsense ;)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7162 on: November 26, 2023, 07:48:54 PM »

I still powerslide when the mood strikes...bluntslides, nose/tail/lip/etc..

Bluntslide are my litmus test.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7163 on: November 26, 2023, 11:20:08 PM »
Simply cruising along and doing a quick frontside power slide is one of the simplest and most fun things any skateboarder can do.

At the same time there's just roads and surfaces where you have to realize it's not the time and place OR you're just going to always deal with some stickiness, gouging, etc.

rikki

« Reply #7164 on: November 26, 2023, 11:37:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For sure. On crusty asphalt they slide real good. Not so much on smooth concrete, though.

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #7165 on: November 27, 2023, 01:04:53 AM »
I have two setups for commuting to work and skating at lunch in the park near my office. One has 93 dragons and the other 95 xformula. I use 99 f4s on my usual setup. I find both dragons and xformula slide more unexpectedly than the f4s, i.e., I feel like I have more control when on the f4s.

I've been riding the 95 xformula setup at parks the past two weeks to change things up for a bit of fun and have been losing (sliding) the back wheels unexpectedly at times. Just my experience. I'm glad there's soft options for commuting that function like hard wheels.

rikki

« Reply #7166 on: November 27, 2023, 01:33:43 AM »
I have two setups for commuting to work and skating at lunch in the park near my office. One has 93 dragons and the other 95 xformula. I use 99 f4s on my usual setup. I find both dragons and xformula slide more unexpectedly than the f4s, i.e., I feel like I have more control when on the f4s.

I've been riding the 95 xformula setup at parks the past two weeks to change things up for a bit of fun and have been losing (sliding) the back wheels unexpectedly at times. Just my experience. I'm glad there's soft options for commuting that function like hard wheels.

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as X-Formula 95?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7167 on: November 27, 2023, 05:26:23 AM »
Simply cruising along and doing a quick frontside power slide is one of the simplest and most fun things any skateboarder can do.

At the same time there's just roads and surfaces where you have to realize it's not the time and place OR you're just going to always deal with some stickiness, gouging, etc.

couldn’t agree more

the switch variant is near a bucket list wish for me, but i just haven’t been able to get my mind to do it: switch front speed check back to switch. feels like my brain is going to throw a rod trying to make it work

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7168 on: November 27, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »

I've had the x97s break free on rough patches of street unexpectedly, as if the wheels just 'rebound/vibrate' right over the patch.

Started skating a new spot where an x99/97 isn't required and bounced back to spit 99a...they feel glassy and hard, so crazy...but I'm switching back just because I miss that smooth ride feel.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7169 on: November 27, 2023, 02:51:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've had the x97s break free on rough patches of street unexpectedly, as if the wheels just 'rebound/vibrate' right over the patch.

Started skating a new spot where an x99/97 isn't required and bounced back to spit 99a...they feel glassy and hard, so crazy...but I'm switching back just because I miss that smooth ride feel.

i also appreciate the options.
bombing hills i feel so so so much safer on f4s.
but cruising around on relatively flat roads, dragons are a dream. i also really appreciate the quietness of the dragons, compared to f4s, for transportation purposes. it’s kinda nice to go prius in a parking stealth mode