Author Topic: Self slo mo  (Read 3039 times)

Contrarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
Re: Self slo mo
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
It’s more like, if a trick looks good, let the viewers decide. Let it speak for itself. Don’t tell me that this is the moment I should be impressed by. As stated earlier, it’s patting yourself on the back. I’m however not against slo mo in general. It’s cool with me. Just not people wanking over their own footage

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
the way the newer instagram algorithms work, the average time spent by a given user stuck on a post (watching the video, reading the captions, comments...) determines how important of a place the next posts by the same uploader will take on their news feed (at the expense of their other subscriptions they more rarely check). that came around the time the super slow-mo mode came out on iPhones. I'm guessing that dictated a sudden need for drawn-out content in advertising, which in turn impacted skateboarding and then of course, everybody started doing it and it became a trend. now people use it to try and make even really ugly tricks look cool. but the novelty aspect is wearing off, but business-wise the original point still stands and more than ever now that most everybody's got something to try and sell, and has access to such modern, accessible branding tools.

I like the skating I watch super quick with no dull moment à la Traffic, so in general and not just on Instagram I'm not a big fan of slow-mo. I'll only occasionally slow-mo tricks that have something particularly weird going on and even those I tend to prefer seeing in real speed, raw.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:37:00 PM by silhouette »

Coolhats

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Self slo-mo is a hard no. Putrid display of narcissism.
[close]

I get this but I mean... are we pretending we’re not all trying to film tricks to look cool?

We try to do cool tricks that are over in the blink of an eye, sometimes they look better slowed down. Doesn’t matter who edited it to me.

I like that Suciu edit and would have had no issue if he did it himself.

Agreed. I think it depends on the trick or the edit. Imagine if that suciu clip was regular speed? It would be boring. These days Instagram videos are edited like a short minute long part. If it’s done well then that’s cool, but some people definitely abuse it.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote

First thing I saw when I opened Instagram just now.  Thoughts?

[close]
this clip is a good example of what I mentioned in my original post. If someone edits your clip for you then it’s more so a display of them admiring your style

suciu skating to trap is more insufferable to slo mo. bad look.