Author Topic: Self slo mo  (Read 3057 times)

Contrarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
Self slo mo
« on: March 04, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
Am I the only one who cringes when pros slo mo their own footage on instagram? I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe they get someone really good at editing to edit their clips for them, but I seriously doubt it. It just seems so vain to me. You might as well just tell everyone how amazing you think your style is or try just a little harder to draw attention to yourself

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
Re: Self slo mo
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »
Edit it how you want, the whole self promotion instagram self-centeredness point is long gone and out of these peoples minds, that's the norm now and slo-moing your kickflip should be expected... Lame as it may be, Im guilty! Put don't post it on your story and direct me to go fucking like it.  I seen it on my TL, and I don't need to be told what to do via your instagram stories.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about jacking off under a strobe light

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 06:42:59 PM »

Was gonna make a jacking off joke but no way can I top that one.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
Am I the only one who cringes when pros slo mo their own footage on instagram? I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe they get someone really good at editing to edit their clips for them, but I seriously doubt it. It just seems so vain to me. You might as well just tell everyone how amazing you think your style is or try just a little harder to draw attention to yourself

Drawing attention to yourself via Instagram is a signficant part of the job description these days.

Contrarian

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Drawing attention to yourself via Instagram is a signficant part of the job description these days.
I get that, but the point I’m making is that you’re basically telling everyone “ooohh and look at the finesse I executed this flat ground fakie flip with”. I’m not against putting tricks on social media. It’s more so the patting yourself on the back-ishness of the slo mo.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »
This is my least favorite thing about Instagram. And it's not just the pros, it's everyone. It reminds me of being a kid in like 2005, starting to edit videos and thinking slow-mo was so fun to mess around with but it definitely lost some novelty after videos like Fully Flared and now that everyone has the technology readily available in their pocket, it's over. I have zero interest in seeing it in a skate video unless it's for a specific reason to help you understand a trick or spot better. When you slowmo a 5-0 on a ledge filmed with your phone you're not doing yourself any favors, you're just going slower and giving people six seconds to know what trick you're doing before you even land it.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was gonna make a jacking off joke but no way can I top that one.
Add a fog machine and it'll get interesting

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
I think it's appropriate for certain tricks you might have to see again, maybe like a 540 shuv out of a tailslide or possibly making it through a knob in a rail, but other than that it's not really necessary.

Donald Rump

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 05:25:35 AM »
At the end of the day we humans are just a bunch of narcissistic fucks.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 07:46:42 AM »
I’m not as anti slow mo as everyone seems to be these days. Pretty sure most of my favorite 90s parts had slow mo. I only do it if I think it fits a song/edit better but I do sometimes

Contrarian

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »
I’m not speaking on slo mo in general, I’m specifying when you slo mo your own footage to give yourself a pat on the back for your own trick

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »
I mean, ain’t nobody else editing my footage so I guess I’m slomoing myself

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 01:34:12 PM »

First thing I saw when I opened Instagram just now.  Thoughts?

Yu Dum

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
Self slo-mo is a hard no. Putrid display of narcissism.

Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »

First thing I saw when I opened Instagram just now.  Thoughts?

this clip is a good example of what I mentioned in my original post. If someone edits your clip for you then it’s more so a display of them admiring your style

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3375
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
I think slow motion is cool when the person also adds a woman moaning right when the slow mo kicks in.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »

I get this but I mean... are we pretending we’re not all trying to film tricks to look cool?

We try to do cool tricks that are over in the blink of an eye, sometimes they look better slowed down. Doesn’t matter who edited it to me.

I like that Suciu edit and would have had no issue if he did it himself.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »
no, no slo mo ever

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
But how will you know its a triple varial if I don't slow mo it??

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »
No slow mo

Ever?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:27:21 AM by VHS ERA »

Yu Dum

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 06:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get this but I mean... are we pretending we’re not all trying to film tricks to look cool?

We try to do cool tricks that are over in the blink of an eye, sometimes they look better slowed down. Doesn’t matter who edited it to me.

Therein lies the issue.
If you can’t see why editing your own footage and slowmo-ing it is a hugely narcissistic action, then you’re on your own, pal.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
Self slo mo kids are the same ones that comment pro on every flow kids insta clip

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »
Personally I don't care for slowmo. I prefer a second angle of the trick if it needs to be shown with more notice..

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

S.E.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
Hello and welcome to skateboarding.  here's what you can and cant do.  dont go outside the lines. 

fuck this thread and fuck anyone who says you cant slo mo what you want. 

clearly theres a way of doing it that comes off as ego driven and theres a way of it respectfully.  like all things.....

do what you want

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »

ooohh and look at the finesse you executed this flat ground fakie flip with

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes? If I film something I'm trying to do it good, but not trying to make it look cool. And most of the time, if you do it properly it's gonna look cool.

But if you're actually trying to make something look better than it naturally is, then you're faking your style and are thus wack as fuck. God forbid you slo mo it too. Then you're doubly wack as fuck

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 12:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes? If I film something I'm trying to do it good, but not trying to make it look cool. And most of the time, if you do it properly it's gonna look cool.

But if you're actually trying to make something look better than it naturally is, then you're faking your style and are thus wack as fuck. God forbid you slo mo it too. Then you're doubly wack as fuck

Right. Skateboard tricks are meant to look cool is all i was saying. None of that regular fake style extra swag shit that’s not what I’m talking about.

We skate for ourselves and for fun,  but we’re also out here busting our ass trying to do impressive tricks, to... impress. But suddenly it’s too much if it’s in slow mo lol.

This anti- slow mo shit is new and weird to me but to each his own.

Maybe the idea of it being egotistical sounds funny to me because I’m so far from that, me being self-conscious and thinking I suck is more likely most of the time. But if I’m editing something and I think the trick looks better slow, whether it’s someone else or me, I’m doin it.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »
Kanye gif is probably a bad choice for the topic of ego