Author Topic: Supreme  (Read 9969 times)

Jesus-Condom

Supreme
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
What do you guys think of supreme since all there clothes are extremely high priced? Anyone here used to buy from them before there hats cost 100$ minimum? Were they always that expensive? I know that the company has been around for awhile but i havent seen much talk of it on slap.

Buddy G

Re: Supreme
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »
they're pretty much the only clothing company that has stayed true to the 90's skate aesthetic and they can't really be blamed for how much their shit goes for on ebay.

i think they're ok.

Jesus-Condom

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
they're pretty much the only clothing company that has stayed true to the 90's skate aesthetic and they can't really be blamed for how much their shit goes for on ebay.

i think they're ok.

Well they obviously have quality clothing. I just havent read much supreme talk on here and im surprised especially since the prices sky rocketed. Im asking because ive also heard that they've always been semi-high priced. I wanna here from people who have been supporting supreme for awhile what they think about the whole situation.

Buddy G

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
Expand Quote

i think they're ok.
[close]

Well they obviously have quality clothing. I just havent read much supreme talk on here and im surprised especially since the prices sky rocketed. Im asking because ive also heard that they've always been semi-high priced. I wanna here from people who have been supporting supreme for awhile what they think about the whole situation.

i don't think the prices they charge in the shop have changed much, just the resale price on ebay or wherever.

Jesus-Condom

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
I havent seen them in shops or any other place but i know for a fact people are making thousands of dollars of this brand threw the internet. Cant understand how people can pay 200-300$ on a hat that they'll probably barely wear because of the price.

Edward Sebastian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
i have a couple supreme items, just t-shirts and stuff. i'll buy the occasional thing if i'm in LA or a friend grabs me something. $30 for a tee is kinda steep, but it's not THAT bad
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »
i have a couple supreme items, just t-shirts and stuff. i'll buy the occasional thing if i'm in LA or a friend grabs me something. $30 for a tee is kinda steep, but it's not THAT bad

That's the norm nowadays
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Jesus-Condom

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's the norm nowadays

Unfortunately yes it is. It would be different if you were paying for quality clothing but now just about everything  is expensive.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
I don't think their aesthetic looks like the 90's at all.

http://www.supremenewyork.com/lookbooks

I went to their shop the first time I went to nyc in 96.  Bought a t-shirt.  That's the only supreme thing I ever owned.

I wonder what this 3-pack of Hanes perfect t's with a tiny supreme logo goes for.  $9 just about anywhere without the 1.5" x 0.5" silk screen.

Buddy G

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »

it's definitely trying to, they do at least one polo bite every season, always do collabo's with north face and still make cargo pants.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »

I went to their shop the first time I went to nyc in 96.  Bought a t-shirt.  That's the only supreme thing I ever owned.

I wonder what this 3-pack of Hanes perfect t's with a tiny supreme logo goes for.  $9 just about anywhere without the 1.5" x 0.5" silk screen.

I'm just going to make a tiny supreme screen the next time I'm bored at work and buy a shitload of Hanes perfect tees. Hello, endless money!
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

sixpackoftablets

• Rep: -24
  • salut les fuckheadz
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
shit's embarrassing

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 04:21:24 AM »
I couldnt justify paying the ebay prices, but here in europe most skatebrand t shirts are arround 25-30 euros, so paying 30 dollars wouldnt scare me that much.

But I know for sure, if I will visit New York or Los Angeles I will buy a lot of their shit to resell. Seems a pretty easy way to make some money tbh.

Quilmes Cerveza

• Rep: 5
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
Switch blade roach clips were tight.  8)

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 07:49:14 AM »
fairly uninteresting stuff at a very interesting price

spare change

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
A lot of people don't seem to grasp the concept of brand association.
It isn't the quality of the product but the name. People see a supreme logo and assume you paid $$$ for whatever it is.
This is why so many folks drive mercedes,bmw and lexus. Obviously they make a great car but they want people to associate them with a certain status. Same thing with limited sb's,jordans,evisu or whatever brands are considered high end or fashionable right now.
Marketing costs a lot and this is why brands like huf,diamond and the hundreds have always charged more than the average manufacturer. I am sure some of you know this but I never hear it discussed, just an endless barrage of complaints over price.

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
Swag
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit

Wh0l3

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's the norm nowadays
[close]

Unfortunately yes it is. It would be different if you were paying for quality clothing but now just about everything  is expensive.

no...?

I haven't spent more than $20 on a t-shirt ever and I don't just wear blanks. I haven't had any Supreme stuff but according to my friend who used to make a lot of money selling hypebeast gear, they aren't good quality. Atleast they don't use slave labor for most of their stuff (it's mainly made in Canada besides obviously the stupid Hanes shit and their shoe collabos). I like a lot of their designs but I don't want to insult myself by paying $30+ for a t-shirt that advertises a business that is not my own, or won't benefit me.
Buy band shirts from the label/artist :)

http://www.topshelfrecords.bigcartel.com/product/pianos-become-the-teeth-boat-shirt   fuck yea

A lot of people don't seem to grasp the concept of brand association.
It isn't the quality of the product but the name. People see a supreme logo and assume you paid $$$ for whatever it is.
This is why so many folks drive mercedes,bmw and lexus. Obviously they make a great car but they want people to associate them with a certain status. Same thing with limited sb's,jordans,evisu or whatever brands are considered high end or fashionable right now.
Marketing costs a lot and this is why brands like huf,diamond and the hundreds have always charged more than the average manufacturer. I am sure some of you know this but I never hear it discussed, just an endless barrage of complaints over price.

totally. one of the main reasons why Supreme is so popular is because it's hard to get and it's exspensive. Their box logo is sick but it isn't a revolutionary design that draws people to it because of aesthetics alone, its cool because it's Supreme. They have a respectable past but a disgusting fan base. I'd love to wear Supreme but the prices and their consumer base makes me not want to. I know that's sounds petty but if you think about it objectively, all a box logo is is the word Supreme in Futura Bold Italics ( I think) in white on a red box so the appeal has to come from something social, same with most graphic shirts, with the exception of stuff like threadless.

I guess for me I don't have to buy clothes to appreciate them. I like design and I like fashion but I can look at it online or in store and know it's dope without having to wear it.

Also if I were in Supreme's shoes I'd be doing what they are doing, I'm sure they make good money and can pretty much do what they want and it will be cool. and meet sick people. They're killing it but I gotta support me and those around me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:55:16 AM by Wh0l3 »

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
Cool guys doing cool guy things. The original cool guyers.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »

I went to their shop the first time I went to nyc in 96.  Bought a t-shirt.  That's the only supreme thing I ever owned.

I wonder what this 3-pack of Hanes perfect t's with a tiny supreme logo goes for.  $9 just about anywhere without the 1.5" x 0.5" silk screen.

The 3 shirt pack is $24 which is pretty cheap compared to other companies "blank" tees. I know Analogs V-Neck packs go for $30 or so, Nike I could imagine for more, UO is like 2 for $30. So you're not really paying out of the ass too much.

The recent sky rocket in Supreme prices is horrible, mainly due to all these OF kids that want too look like Tyler the Creator. I sometimes feel embarrassed wearing Supreme solely on people trying to talk to me about OF when they see me wearing a Supreme tee.

I like the look of the company, yes, some of their ideas are clearly stolen, but good artists borrow while good artists steal. It's not really often do I see another company with similar looking clothes/designs and if I do, Supreme had done it first. The image of Supreme is very strong and attention grabbing and its a weird feeling of cool when you wear it, I don't know, I'm babbling. Overall, I think it wouldn't get so much hate, especially here on SLAP if it wasn't for the Hypebeasts that don't skate. Kinda like how bro's ruined DC for skaters, well DC ruined itself too but you know what I mean. Still though, awesome skaters like Koston, Olson, Dill, Spanky, Hsu, and etc rep the company and make it look cool and respectable. The brand also still makes decks/cruisers. Some of the skate aesthetic may seem gone, but it's in their roots and it's hard to keep that going for so long. I mean look, even some skate brands like DVS, Vans, Emerica, and etc are dwelling into the whole life style shoe game.

As for the high prices, t-shirts are usually $32-$38, which is steep for some. But going into any shop or Zumiez, you can pick up several shitty looking shirts that are priced as much. Hat's are a little more than what you see them going for, 5 panels and such are usually stapled at $44. Everything else is +$100 like jackets, jeans, sweaters, and button ups. I can vouch for all the fits on everything they make is some of the best money can buy. The talk of paying $300 for a 5 panel is all the sellers that stock up every season on Supreme, hold it for a couple months, and resale when it's not available through Supreme no more. That is not Supreme's fault.

Pretty much all I have to say about Supreme is you either love it or hate it. I love it, and I'm not afraid to skate in my $120 Supreme jeans, I get compliments out the ass on those and they fit/feel great to skate in. Supreme isn't for everyone, but in the end that's what makes it stand out to me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:10:04 AM by Pony Boy »

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's the norm nowadays
[close]

Unfortunately yes it is. It would be different if you were paying for quality clothing but now just about everything  is expensive.
[close]

no...?

I haven't spent more than $20 on a t-shirt ever and I don't just wear blanks.

yeah, i mean i'll drop $30 on a supreme shirt now and then but i mostly wear band shirts i get at shows which are rarely more than $10, or i'll wear shirts i get for free (which i get alot of) so i definitely feel the sting dropping that much on a swanky tee.

what it boils down to is this:

they make a limited run of everything, charge a premium price, and sell out their stock every season. they really have no reason to change their system because it's working for them. you make not like it, but that's the way it is.
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
The only supreme stuff I own are bootlegs I bought in Korea or Malaysia.  Even then, they were expensive compared to the price of the other items in the store.  Same with Bape and other bootleg streetwear crap.  I was rocking some fake gear and this one hipster kid at Seaworld in SD gave me props.  I felt gay.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »
Too expensive and 90% of their clothing looks ugly.

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
The most i'm spending on a shirt is 20 bucks.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »
I'm even less than that.  $10 usually unless I really like it then $15 is the ceiling.  It's just a fucking T-shirt.  My wife knows not to put them in the dryer so my shirts last a lot longer.

5onthat

• Rep: -3
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »
i worked at a screenprinting factory, and seeing people paying 30 dollars for a shirt kills me, because i know that the shirt itself and the screenprinting fees literally cost less than two dollars. a supreme one color print would cost them 2 dollars to manufacture, and they sell it for 20 times the price of that. fuck if it's "fashionable", that shit's retarted

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »
Supreme's rip offs are cool, but their collabs are insanely overrated.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »
i back supreme and their "cool guy" stuff pretty hard.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »