Author Topic: SML grocery bag wheels review? Spitfire formula four alternatives?  (Read 3378 times)

Bigwheelbite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -162
Has anyone got any experience with SML grocery bag wheels by any chance?

Don't fancy paying the silly £50 for Spitfire formula fours anymore so wondered what the cheaper alternatives are in 99a duro. Everytime I've tried diff wheels over the years they've always flat spotted hella quick so have stuck to Spitfire F4's for the last 5 years but done paying double the price for them over here now.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
Re: SML grocery bag wheels review? Spitfire formula four alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 01:13:52 AM »
They're good, feel softer than 99 f4s, a bit hard to slide but still a great predictable slide. They do flatspot easier, but are pretty good overall still, probably better than spitfire classics.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 04:57:56 AM »
They're good, feel softer than 99 f4s, a bit hard to slide but still a great predictable slide. They do flatspot easier, but are pretty good overall still, probably better than spitfire classics.

Thanks for the heads up man. I heard that they do feel softer than 99a f4's and flatspot way easier which doesn't sound good to me tbh. For me 99a f4's are perfect and everytime I've tried a diff wheel I've always hated & regretted it. I wouldn't waste my time with spitfire classics either. Hmmmm might have to just stick to f4's then!

The wheels thread has good info, including this post from the most recent page:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3583719#msg3583719

Not to be a dick, but I know some people, self included, would rather pay more for wheels that are awesome and have minimal flat spot issues (eg Spitfire formula four, or even Bones if there were no Spitfires available) but you can always get the SML wheels and see.

Two formulas as per that post in the wheels thread, by the guy who works for them - skated both, seemed ok, but Spitfire formula four are what I have and prefer to ride.

If you are not in the US or AU where there are lots right now, they might be a bit hard to get hold of, but if you look, there are usually some that are cheaper with a % off shop discount, which is what I do and it works out a lot cheaper overall.

Running my own small shop and things like that are getting up there in price, so I definitely would not be wanting to pay normal retail prices for them either, so I can see both sides of it.

Didn't think you were being a dick so all good - thanks for your reply.
I think I'd rather pay a bit more for 'awesome' wheels too tbh. Are you saying SML are not awesome then? ;)

I'm in the UK where 99a conical f4's are scarce and cost £50 which is a joke when you consider how much they retail for in the US.

Is what it is I guess...

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 06:19:31 AM »
I feel you about paying some prices in Europe, the last set of F4 was like 65 euros. Even that said my last set of F4 Tablets lasted a year and a half so I rather pay a higher price than change wheels faster.

Pig wheels are good for their price (Around 25 Euros) but they don't last much without flat spots.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 12:53:37 PM »
The only option besides F4 99 are STF 99 imo
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
loopholes!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 09:01:23 AM »
Suprised no one really mentions OJ. Their wheels are great. Try some 99a Hardlines.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 10:06:10 AM »
Expand Quote

I think I'd rather pay a bit more for 'awesome' wheels too tbh. Are you saying SML are not awesome then? ;)

I'm in the UK where 99a conical f4's are scarce and cost £50 which is a joke when you consider how much they retail for in the US.

Is what it is I guess...
[close]

I think it is not so much that I don't think other wheels are awesome, but more so that when I get what I consider the best wheel, everything else is under them in terms of how awesome they are.

Definitely not that any particular brand of wheels downright sucks, even though I have heard others always bag out the classic Spitfires, I rode those for a good twenty years so knew how to wear them in and get them past the brand new / easily messed up stage into the weathered and great feeling stage - still have some on boards that are great to ride, but setting up a brand new set, I was always very cautious, which is ideally NOT what you want in brand new product.

Being spoilt for choice doesn't help, I know, but I did a bit of digging and I know there have been some awesome sales on and look like there were, if not still are, some floating around in the UK, as per the Spitfire thread too.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
loopholes!!!
[close]

As was said too, Loopholes are said to be amazing - never seen or tried them though, but might be another option.

i just grabbed some brian powderly 54 squares. similar to spitfire tablets but definetly harder. if you are riding a spot with sand/dirt on smooth concrete (for me a new park that didnt have proper landscaping) you can really heard how are the wheels are over the grains. but overall they feel really good, perfect mix of grip and slide when you want.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
loopholes!!!
Let me clarify: only option from what I know. Can't find Loopholes in here
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
I would consider OJ Nomads in the 95a hardness. 

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 07:37:28 PM »
my last set of wheels were the v cut 53mm grocery bags and currently im on "og wide" 54mms (both AG formula)

definitely prefer the og wides because the v cuts have a much larger riding surface. The og wides are a lot like classics and honestly slide about the same when new (just cant hold slide for as long due to the urethane - good quality, doesnt chip or flat spot easily and works amazing for feeling smooth on rough ground but cuz of that slides worse than an F4 or STF)

overall id say its a good choice. the 99a is a bit softer than traditional spitfire 99a which is a given because f4 is top tier shit. wheel shape definitely matters though. I bought these instead of spitfires cuz sml arent slow unlike other wheels and the og wide shape is skinny and proportional-feeling enough for me to skate basically everything (including rough ground which I find hard to skate even on 101a spits), and in Canada spitfires are a good 15$ more expensive and I could use that to buy a cart from the Kush dispo.

all this being said, im currently on a bit of a wheel thing where I try all kinds of wheels before I try spit f4s again for the first time in years. Last wheels were some OJ mini combo 101a that slid well and felt good but just didnt keep speed as good (might've been cuz of coning or obscenely wide riding surface)

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
Think I’ve been skating these exclusively since 2016…?

Better than spitfire classics and last. Don’t be afraid to step away from the cult of DLX/Spitfire…..