Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 175881 times)

IpathCats

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #630 on: February 09, 2023, 05:49:55 AM »
Board sizing is completely arbitrary and you should skate whatever you want. Assigning board width according to shoe size is a /r/NewSkaters-tier idea.

agree, but at the same time its a decent starting point for the people that would be visiting /r/newskaters

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #631 on: February 09, 2023, 05:55:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Board sizing is completely arbitrary and you should skate whatever you want. Assigning board width according to shoe size is a /r/NewSkaters-tier idea.
[close]

agree, but at the same time its a decent starting point for the people that would be visiting /r/newskaters

But it's beneath us.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #632 on: February 09, 2023, 06:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But it's beneath us.

many of us, yes. But I'm sure there are a bunch of #newskaters on SLAP

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #633 on: February 09, 2023, 06:15:51 AM »
It's literally beneath us! The more your skateboard is beneath your feet the better.

To be fair though that 8.5 I referenced is probably the shittiest board ever pressed and I think it has a really long wheelbase. It was some bargain basement $60 CAD (unheard of local shop price) purple Consolidated block logo board that is the thickest looking laminate I've ever seen. I gotta bust out the callipers on this abomination one day. Looks like an 8-9 ply board lol. That combined with the fact I was unknowingly riding 159s thinking they were 149s until a few months ago probably factored into the heft and primoness of that setup. I tried to focus it the other day when I was all angry about some non-skateboarding-related things and I didn't even crack it.. and I'm a pretty big angry dude.

roll_dog

« Reply #634 on: February 09, 2023, 06:22:29 AM »
I can't abide by the idea that board size is -completely- arbitrary. I just can't wrap my head around skating a 7.75 on 129s with size 12 feet, yeah I know people claim to do it, I refuse to believe they wouldn't skate better if they gave a bigger board some time.

Same with the grom skating a massive shaped board on 169s at my local mini. I get that he's gotten used to the massive board, I don't believe that it's actually doing him any favors.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #635 on: February 09, 2023, 07:24:50 AM »

It sounds like I should have provided more context for my initial board size post. I'm mostly approaching it from an aesthetic perspective. If you are running a size 13 shoe and riding a 7.5" board, its going to look like you're wearing swimming fins while standing on a 2x4.

I have the same feelings towards little kids who wear a size 6 shoe while riding a 8.5' board. It just seems impractical.  But yes, skate whatever you want.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #636 on: February 09, 2023, 07:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It sounds like I should have provided more context for my initial board size post. I'm mostly approaching it from an aesthetic perspective. If you are running a size 13 shoe and riding a 7.5" board, its going to look like you're wearing swimming fins while standing on a 2x4.

I have the same feelings towards little kids who wear a size 6 shoe while riding a 8.5' board. It just seems impractical.  But yes, skate whatever you want.

I wear a size 10 and ride 8’s and it feels perfect. Do what you will with that information. Also dislike the whole gigantic board gigantic wheel trend. Looks atrocious.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

KookTheElder

• Rep: -29
« Reply #637 on: February 09, 2023, 07:33:19 AM »
I wear a size 13 and love my 7.75 asf k3 on my 8 inch ML trucks

K1-3 is my shit, moving up to 5.2 from 5.0s was a game changer for me

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #638 on: February 09, 2023, 07:36:27 AM »
board size is the new pants

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #639 on: February 09, 2023, 07:42:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I wear a size 10 and ride 8’s and it feels perfect. Do what you will with that information. Also dislike the whole gigantic board gigantic wheel trend. Looks atrocious.
I'm gonna stop taking the bait after this because this comes up every couple days but what do people think somebody with size 13s is gonna do about a board looking small? Get 13 inch boards specially made? Compared to the size of foot it makes fuck all difference if you ride a 7.5 or a 9 inch board. I ride both (specifically a 7.75 and an 8.8 right now) and the main difference is the size of the tail. They both look way smaller than my feet

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #640 on: February 09, 2023, 07:43:03 AM »
I wear a sz 9 and I'm shorter. I'm trying to find a 7.75 that's under 32" w a shorter than average wheel base.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #641 on: February 09, 2023, 08:18:45 AM »
I wear a sz 9 and I'm shorter. I'm trying to find a 7.75 that's under 32" w a shorter than average wheel base.
How much shorter? Real has a range of smaller boards altho they may have been designed more for kids. I guess if it's the standard construction it wouldn't matter tho. Palace 7.75 are shorter wb too

sle_epy

« Reply #642 on: February 09, 2023, 08:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
How much shorter? Real has a range of smaller boards altho they may have been designed more for kids. I guess if it's the standard construction it wouldn't matter tho. Palace 7.75 are shorter wb too

I'm 5'6" which isn't super short, but it seems nonsensical to ride the same size decks my male friends who are 6' tall ride. I'd just like to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the leads!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #643 on: February 09, 2023, 08:32:41 AM »
There’s a multitude of things which impact board choice…..how about this one….what you just feel is comfortable… or just plain want to ride…..don’t forget about the shin measurement……good grief…..

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #644 on: February 09, 2023, 10:14:52 AM »
Allen hardware fucking sucks. I feel like I’m the only person in the world who can reliably locate an Allen key at their house, I always have one in the junk drawer, but why not just use the phillips that’s on your tool? I never strip the heads and aren’t you not supposed to recycle hardware indefinitely anyway? Don’t get the point, plus it looks weird.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -527
« Reply #645 on: February 09, 2023, 10:39:18 AM »
Like swimming pools, there are two types of parks, “above ground” and “in ground”.

You can have a prefab above ground, or a diy in ground, but calling everything a prefab that is not in ground is confusing when you get there and it’s custom made and diy mix.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #646 on: February 09, 2023, 10:46:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I'm gonna stop taking the bait after this because this comes up every couple days but what do people think somebody with size 13s is gonna do about a board looking small? Get 13 inch boards specially made? Compared to the size of foot it makes fuck all difference if you ride a 7.5 or a 9 inch board. I ride both (specifically a 7.75 and an 8.8 right now) and the main difference is the size of the tail. They both look way smaller than my feet
Size 13 here and yeah width doesn’t matter that much, they all look skinny. It is what it is. The only size that makes a difference in how it appears is length. I have long legs and short boards look stupid. I ride an 8.38 for what it’s worth. Wider boards feel comfortable but unwieldy if I’m doing tricks.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #647 on: February 09, 2023, 11:57:30 AM »
Allen hardware fucking sucks. I feel like I’m the only person in the world who can reliably locate an Allen key at their house, I always have one in the junk drawer, but why not just use the phillips that’s on your tool? I never strip the heads and aren’t you not supposed to recycle hardware indefinitely anyway? Don’t get the point, plus it looks weird.

Which skate tool are you using which doesn't include an Allen key?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3370
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #648 on: February 09, 2023, 04:41:58 PM »
I kind of like the skateboard stamps on offer from the USPS.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #649 on: February 09, 2023, 07:39:40 PM »
I don’t understand the intensely negative reaction. Maybe there a bunch of fancy artistes on here

switchfakie

« Reply #650 on: February 10, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »

I think the hate is just because the way they posed the skaters in the stamps, holding their boards horizontal, graphic facing the viewer. Looks corny & nobody casually stands like that

Also Even tho graphics matter a bit to skaters, making the graphic the focal point of a stamp tributing skaters doesn’t make any sense

They could’ve done a stamp of a skater doing a back smith on a ledge or a trick on a handrail

That shit woudda been fire my g

sle_epy

« Reply #651 on: February 10, 2023, 12:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the hate is just because the way they posed the skaters in the stamps, holding their boards horizontal, graphic facing the viewer. Looks corny & nobody casually stands like that

Also Even tho graphics matter a bit to skaters, making the graphic the focal point of a stamp tributing skaters doesn’t make any sense

They could’ve done a stamp of a skater doing a back smith on a ledge or a trick on a handrail

Different trick silhouettes def would've been cool. Maybe more like the NBA or MLB logo. Certain tricks captured perfectly in mid air and freeze framed look cool to anyone IMO.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #652 on: February 10, 2023, 12:25:35 PM »
I don’t want to be hurtful because I’m sure they post on here but the @blatantnostalgia ig has the cringiest fuckin captions ever

“Forcast was one of those videos that was the beginning of another great evolution in skateboarding. What was essentially a Simi Valley homie video became a body of work that inspired, motivated, and became a torch for the future of skateboarding.” Jesus fuckin Christ will you get the kumquats out of your mouth and get to the fuckin point

quackquack

« Reply #653 on: February 10, 2023, 01:27:45 PM »
I don’t want to be hurtful because I’m sure they post on here but the @blatantnostalgia ig has the cringiest fuckin captions ever

“Forcast was one of those videos that was the beginning of another great evolution in skateboarding. What was essentially a Simi Valley homie video became a body of work that inspired, motivated, and became a torch for the future of skateboarding.” Jesus fuckin Christ will you get the kumquats out of your mouth and get to the fuckin point

A torch for deez nutz maybe
Oh, the places you'll go.

work_lurker

• Rep: 97
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #654 on: February 10, 2023, 01:30:52 PM »

Sounds like a Borra-esque caption
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #655 on: February 10, 2023, 02:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Different trick silhouettes def would've been cool. Maybe more like the NBA or MLB logo. Certain tricks captured perfectly in mid air and freeze framed look cool to anyone IMO.
Unedited Koston back noseblunt hubba or GTFO
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1147
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #656 on: February 10, 2023, 02:14:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But it's beneath us.
[close]

many of us, yes. But I'm sure there are a bunch of #newskaters on SLAP

Yes, and they should be corralled and beaten.  Not placated.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: February 10, 2023, 02:43:09 PM »
I would rather skate the best Violet bloard (Lil Kim) than the best Baker bloard. Violet could be one of the coolest companies out if Ample William wasn’t involved

cky enthusiast

« Reply #658 on: February 10, 2023, 04:06:14 PM »
I would rather skate the best Violet bloard (Lil Kim) than the best Baker bloard. Violet could be one of the coolest companies out if Ample William wasn’t involved

twice in one day? this dude's opinionated!

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #659 on: February 10, 2023, 08:05:53 PM »

imo, hardware has a limited lifespan. i give it away after 2 or 3 setups.