Author Topic: Lance Mountain | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 127  (Read 11346 times)

calvinsdream

Re: Lance Mountain | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 127
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 10:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
All of you who are talking shit on the man for his religious beliefs are either bigots or hypocrites, you can't have it both ways.
[close]
I’m talking shit because Lance is a fake.

He repeatedly makes the deliberate point to speak about his faith and it’s impact on his perception/actions.

Then he chooses to do business with companies whose actions contradict and debase his own stated Christian values.

And yes it is possible to live life without being a hypocrite, maybe set the bar a little higher for yourself

When did Nike or Adidas debase his Christian values exactly?

Also big surprise, people pick and choose what tenants of their religious belief to follow more closely

underworldwide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
Slap vs. Lance

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »
This man can do no wrong for me.

I've had the pleasure to meet him on my birthday a few years ago. I literally cried when I was talking to him... It was just too emotional for me. And he probably thought I was a roided up weirdo (I don't do roids, but I was in the gym constantly back then to gain back some muscle mass)

A few years before I was very ill and on the verge of going blind. I couldn't skate due to tons of operations etc and I watched skatevideos whenever I had the ability to see, especially a lot of Lance Mountain footage... why? because he made skating look fun, and he made it ok to be a dorky dude on a board and it was dawning on me that I would never get good at skating again anyway. So why not just have fun with it like I should?

He signed my 'Powell Peralta family man board' gave me peptalk and he asked to hang back stage at a demo.
Dude was incredibly friendly, calm and down to earth.

"Don't meet your heroes" they say, but sometimes you should meet them...

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3340
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
Now he's one Christian I wouldn't mind having as a friend.

Ernest Borgnine

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2019, 01:12:09 PM »
Lance Mountain....I just like typing that.  Lance Mountain.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »
This man can do no wrong for me.

I've had the pleasure to meet him on my birthday a few years ago. I literally cried when I was talking to him... It was just too emotional for me. And he probably thought I was a roided up weirdo (I don't do roids, but I was in the gym constantly back then to gain back some muscle mass)

A few years before I was very ill and on the verge of going blind. I couldn't skate due to tons of operations etc and I watched skatevideos whenever I had the ability to see, especially a lot of Lance Mountain footage... why? because he made skating look fun, and he made it ok to be a dorky dude on a board and it was dawning on me that I would never get good at skating again anyway. So why not just have fun with it like I should?

He signed my 'Powell Peralta family man board' gave me peptalk and he asked to hang back stage at a demo.
Dude was incredibly friendly, calm and down to earth.

"Don't meet your heroes" they say, but sometimes you should meet them...

I believe this rings true for anyone in the bones brigade. I’ve met a handful or more dudes who rode for them then. Stacy and George really took those kids under their wings and made them successful, and created the first ever legit skate company. They picked riders who were mostly selfless, stand up guys, and they made an image out of the fact hey we have the best guys, and they are good boys too. If any of you find an old brigade member in the wild, I can promise you that they will have a convo with u, genuinely listen to whatever u have to say, and are good respectable men. The brigade also had the the two greatest skateboarders ever in Rodney and Tony, George made and still makes extremely high quality product with lots of R&D, they invented street skating in a board room with the other big 5 in the 80s, they had the first black super pros , the first black well known pros in Steve steadham and Ray Barbee(now I know some of y’all might get nit picky and say Marty Grimes, but I’m sticking by this statement). Powell peralta has legacy and is still relevant today through their side ventures which used to be a part of Powell, they just made it into a separate company/image smartly to sell a shitload of product(bones wheels, bones Swiss). They also sponsor Andy Anderson, who is the truth to modern day skateboarding. He will skate for Canada in the olympics for Park because he’s that good at bowl skating. He gets gnarly on the rails with technicality like no has ever seen minus maybe Nyjah or Cole Wilson. He can freestyle well too, which is what’s the most interesting thing about him. Like he can skate all 3 disciplines, the true ATV. He also makes skating look fun like Lance. That dude could single handedly revive that company, they just need someone to fucking film him a legit ass part. If that kid dropped a legit ass part with a legit ass filmer nobody would deny him. He’s that fucking good. I would say Kyle Nicholson is the other dude in this boat too. If he filmed a legit ass part. Like a true part that he was capable of, no person on earth would deny that dude. That’s how insane both of those motherfuckers are.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
^ this guy should be on some type of watch list
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
When did Nike or Adidas debase his Christian values exactly?

Also big surprise, people pick and choose what tenants of their religious belief to follow more closely

for one thing, creating a huge & crucial profits multiplier through development and exploitation of contractor networks reliant on child slave labor-seems fairly un-Christian.

And Christianity isn’t Buddhism, it’s not á la carte. The basic tenets/values are explicitly stated, choosing which are convenient enough for you to follow isn’t one of the options

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
they invented street skating in a board room 

good one.

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
Amazing episode which took 2 days to finish. Lance was a little before my time honestly so I never fully appreciated him but this was insightful. I really respected how open and honest he was about everything especially about being a Christian as I can't imagine that's easy to do knowing the blowback he would likely get. It's pretty sad that it was such a small part of the episode but has become the main topic of discussion in the thread, mostly hate. We now live in a time where even the smallest hint of prejudice even as a joke isn't tolerated, but for some reason that rule doesn't apply to Christians. All of you who are talking shit on the man for his religious beliefs are either bigots or hypocrites, you can't have it both ways.

Fuck it though, great episode. I wanted more.

He's still a rad dude no matter what he believes in.  Jamie Thomas is all about it and Hosoi.  Those guys kill it still and it seems nobody's pushing it on anyone considering the company they've kept.

I'm still blown away The Firm was around 15 years. I guess I never thought about that. They were always that awesome/mysterious company to me because my local shop only had a few boards.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:38 AM »
He was a bit all over the place but Lance is 100 in my books.  He can do wrong which is why I like him, theres flaws all over the place but he has a ton genuine humility that we don't often see. 

That's another reason why he's the skaters skater, not just because he's having fun, but because he's a shithead. 

He's never pushed his religion and for the most part....I don't make a habit to shit on someone's faith.

I got to meet him a few years back....and I just peppered him with questions. 

Ducky Fucky

• Rep: -75
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 02:47:31 PM »
Thank you God !

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 05:48:20 PM »
Are there actually skaters who will watch a 4 hour interview? I thought America had no attention span. How is it that this show keeps getting longer & longer?

I’m surprised people watch these at all. Nine club is only a podcast to me

jockboy

• Rep: -18
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:28 AM »
Loll this dood is a straight up lunatic

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2019, 11:19:24 AM »
yeah this episode was all over the place but i like lance, loved the firm, watched can't stop over and over

no denying his place in skateboarding

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »
Expand Quote
All of you who are talking shit on the man for his religious beliefs are either bigots or hypocrites, you can't have it both ways.
[close]
I’m talking shit because Lance is a fake.

He repeatedly makes the deliberate point to speak about his faith and it’s impact on his perception/actions.

Then he chooses to do business with companies whose actions contradict and debase his own stated Christian values.

And yes it is possible to live life without being a hypocrite, maybe set the bar a little higher for yourself

You sound just like a racist trying to justify why they hate others based on the color of their ethnicity, you sick bastard. Take a few minutes and think about that.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »
does anyone know who the pair of skaters is that he referred to in the first hour or so? like, kind of like Guy and Henry but later, one blew up and one was only known for tricks?

(sorry just finished listening to this, had to do it small chunks)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »
Haven't listened to it since it first came out, but wasn't he saying the pair were brothers?
I was thinking Jeremy and Jonas Wray were possibilities.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2019, 04:26:55 AM »
i think he later clarified that he was referring to elguera and cab, but who knows the interview jumped around a lot.