Author Topic: Powell dragon formula tested by nine club.  (Read 27674 times)

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
Re: Powell dragon formula tested by nine club.
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2022, 02:59:27 PM »
I actually just skated them and they’re weird. Probably not for someone like me with the pristine ground I have in my area but I could see them being a hit in more weathered areas.

They sound like fingernails on vinyl when you slide on smooth ground

stephop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -391
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2022, 06:29:31 PM »
Not sure what to make of these. Couldn't do switch tres or Rick flip tailslides with these wheels.

Banned from the room

« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2022, 07:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m case any of you bozos haven’t copped yet, I did. What I learned so far:
1) How to 900 (better than before)
2) Popping my board up to catch it by the trucks before I walk into my local milk shake spot is WAY easier
3) Nollie front smiths are BUTTER
[close]

Sounds like a must-cop situation. Will I also be able to ghettobird like French Joslin?

I don’t care what anyone says French Mini Joslin is doing front shuvs into all of those upgrades.

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2022, 09:20:45 PM »
here's my review. They are by far the best wheel I have ever skated. I am 44 in October and yes way easier on my feet. Krooked grinds feel amazing. I feel like they do got a little bark to em. It was way easier skating for longer period of time. These wheels are the truth.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2022, 10:51:56 PM »
hill bomb test and that’s when we’ll come to a decision

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2022, 11:57:04 PM »
here's my review. They are by far the best wheel I have ever skated. I am 44 in October and yes way easier on my feet. Krooked grinds feel amazing. I feel like they do got a little bark to em. It was way easier skating for longer period of time. These wheels are the truth.

I feel like this is all true.

But looking at your clips I get a sense that there's some drag going on. Similar to what I've experienced. Obviously this is all just me guessing, as I don't know the curb, how you normally skate etc, but looks like those slappies would have gone a good amount further and maintained more momentum, but the wheels were kind of dragging on the top of the curb.

I feel like the sound is a good indicator. On both the fs 5050 slappy and the slappy crook, there are very brief moments where the sound goes quiet and there's no grind noise because the wheels drag a bit. Thats kind of what I've noticed with mine, and thats also when I feel the drag and notice some slowing down.

Obviously it still works, but doing the exact same thing with f4s I don't get that at all and it grinds wayyyyy quicker. If you're able to test them back to back with f4s it may give a clearer picture as to whats going on, because when I did that on my curbs, it was a very noticeable difference.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2022, 12:05:51 AM »
i ordered some a couple of days ago and feel like a little kid again waiting for the newest skate video to show up at my door/at the skate shop. this is literally everything i need in a wheel from what i’ve been reading.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Goodcurbs

« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2022, 01:14:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But looking at your clips I get a sense that there's some drag going on. Similar to what I've experienced. Obviously this is all just me guessing, as I don't know the curb, how you normally skate etc, but looks like those slappies would have gone a good amount further and maintained more momentum, but the wheels were kind of dragging on the top of the curb.

I feel like the sound is a good indicator. On both the fs 5050 slappy and the slappy crook, there are very brief moments where the sound goes quiet and there's no grind noise because the wheels drag a bit. Thats kind of what I've noticed with mine, and thats also when I feel the drag and notice some slowing down.

Obviously it still works, but doing the exact same thing with f4s I don't get that at all and it grinds wayyyyy quicker. If you're able to test them back to back with f4s it may give a clearer picture as to whats going on, because when I did that on my curbs, it was a very noticeable difference.
Theres not much of a run up skating goofy so can't get much speed. I can't crook around this corner very good on f4s. Dragon Formula slide better than f4s. The 56 conicals make my 139 truck too narrow fit in top of the curb. I'll put them on the zip zinger.  I'd like 56 in a classic radial shape or my trucks won't fit over the curb.  That's what I need. But just grateful to get what's available.  These dragons spit fire. They'll probably sell out so I'd get them before they're gone.

Goodcurbs

« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2022, 01:20:21 AM »
Also the stuff you mention as drag,  definitely don't mind the trade off for how they make my old feet feel. That's why I like the tennis courts cause the ground is soft. I just thought they'd be really sticky. They might not be for everyone. But for 40 year plus skaters they're gonna extend the session without a doubt. It makes skating funner. I always loved soft wheels. I didn't think it was possible to get them to slide.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2022, 09:32:10 AM »
So these wheels are for tired old men who have bad feet and bad backs? I fit this demographic but this selling point is not very sexy.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2022, 09:42:03 AM »
So these wheels are for tired old men who have bad feet and bad backs? I fit this demographic but this selling point is not very sexy.

just focus on the feet part and it is

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2022, 09:48:39 AM »
Also the stuff you mention as drag,  definitely don't mind the trade off for how they make my old feet feel. That's why I like the tennis courts cause the ground is soft. I just thought they'd be really sticky. They might not be for everyone. But for 40 year plus skaters they're gonna extend the session without a doubt. It makes skating funner. I always loved soft wheels. I didn't think it was possible to get them to slide.

Shit, I think you’ve sold me on these! Anything to help my 45 year old body to skate a little more.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1173
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2022, 09:53:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

“You’re lived experience is wrong, and let me tell you why….”

k-nutz

• Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shit, I think you’ve sold me on these! Anything to help my 45 year old body to skate a little more.

On my zip zinger nano I bought some Powell bombers with bones swiss and I prefer my kid's cheap setup with skateone blanks and China bones.  I think the difference is the bombers are 90a and the blanks are 85.

I bought 2 sets of dragons based on this thread.  If they really skate like 85a and you can skate street with them I will be stoked.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2022, 10:40:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

“You’re lived experience is wrong, and let me tell you why….”

Your** snarky comment makes no sense, and let me tell you why

Literally immediately validated with his lived experience about being easier on feet, having some bark, and being able to skate longer because thats what I noticed too

Just made an observation based on the sound and the look of the grind because it seemed similar to how mine felt and sounded when I slappied curbs (and that came with some very noticeable drag), and so made a guess about something that may be occurring

LebowskisRug

« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2022, 10:54:40 AM »
I agree with those observations- same thing happens to me. I skate a curb spot with wax on top and they lip slide fine until the wax ends/gets patchy and then they grip big time. You can even hear the bark noise for a millisecond. In the wax they're fine and for me 50-50s are fine because the top of the curb is painted and formerly had lots of wax. The sides are dustier and my crooks are just like yours in this video where they quietly and rapidly slow down.

The speed is really good. I don't want to change wheels every session because I usually hit a park and slappy spot/angle iron box at my house in a sesh, but if the 95 don't grip quite as harsh on these tricks I would definitely ride them.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -391
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2022, 01:13:41 PM »
I suckered myself into these to force me to skate in order to try them lol

Goodcurbs

« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2022, 02:14:18 PM »
I suckered myself into these to force me to skate in order to try them lol
Thank God for the theragun and soft wheels an all guys 50 and up like sluggo. All I need now is some tate roskelly hard tires for My bmx. All the gnarly bmx pros chill here and good spot for flatland. They can slap curbs too but it fucks up your tires. I gotta get new tires for my Toyota Camry and want to build a monster truck next. Been talking about it forever. I got a buddy that will help me build it. It's 150 thousand dollars  The guy that is going to help me build it is Jeff Strand and he used to drive the monster truck thunder Beast. I met him in a homeless shelter. There's several how to builds on YouTube. Son of gravedigger is probably the best. I don't see why skate teams don't have monster trucks. Or why people don't drive them everywhere. DC should have a monster truck. They probably do. I asked him about being too old to rebuild or drive and he insisted it was necessary to drive that thing til you die. Why isn't Jah in the monster energy monster truck? Just seems next level. A lot of one dimensional minded folks here. These Powell dragons are revolutionary, you'll just have to try them out. Not a gimmick.

Goodcurbs

« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2022, 02:15:23 PM »

Goodcurbs

« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2022, 02:29:53 PM »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 56
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2022, 04:04:18 PM »
Experienced a weird issue today.  After a 3 hour session, it seemed like I was having to push more or the wheels just weren’t as fast. 

The bearings were shifting around slightly and causing my wheels to get tight.  I would have to use my thumbs to push the outside of the wheel against the hanger or axle nut in order to get them seated and spinning correctly.

I’ve only had this issue with Radial Slims previously.  I’m not sure if it’s a bearing seat issue or how soft the wheels are.

Anyone else have this happen?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:59:23 PM by BMCsteve »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2022, 05:54:31 PM »

Good gawd that feeble squeal lol ugh
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:01:30 PM by Xen »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2022, 06:20:50 PM »
Expand Quote

Good gawd that feeble squeal lol ugh
[close]
I bet he got paid a ton of money for this. At least 50k is guess, maybe more.

Let's hope Ben got that cheque!

Honestly, it's nothing we didn't already know, these are going to be great for crust and potentially open up a few spots (I already have a few that these wheels will open up a few tricks/obstacles).

I'm still set on skipping the 93s and shooting for both the 95/97s to test out.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2022, 08:25:40 PM »
It does validate the opinion myself and others have that they suck grinding on coping and some grinds.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2022, 08:34:54 PM »
It does validate the opinion myself and others have that they suck grinding on coping and some grinds.

Yes, they suck COMPARED TO A HARD WHEEL. No shit Sherlock.
They are not hard wheels. A more accurate comparison would be to compare them to soft wheels.

I’m interested in them, but I’ve no skin in this game.
I see people saying they are amazing on rough ground, meh oh smooth surfaces. Which seems completely fucking obvious.

You don’t make a 93a wheel to ride smooth surfaces.
So anyone expecting it to grind as smoothly as a 101a is a weirdo.  You’re weird. Try grinding with a true 93a and tell me again if they stick as much.

But making a 93 wheel that can slide even close to a hard wheel is a major innovation. I have a lot of shit ground where I live, including about half the parks. Is they ride as advertised, it will let me ride more, for maybe even longer.  That’s a bonus.

So stop trying to compare a soft wheel to a hard wheel. That’s not asking the right question.
Does this soft wheel ride better than other soft wheels is what I want to know. And Ben even said they stuck less on some grinds than 97a Spits. So that’s seems like a pretty amazing thing for a wheel 4a softer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:59:21 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2022, 09:10:35 PM »

That slappy crooks was pretty decent…
//////////

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2022, 09:49:07 PM »
Weren't the Ricta Clouds supposed to be basically the same concept of a softish wheel that can slide like whatever happened to the hype around those?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2022, 10:18:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are not hard wheels. A more accurate comparison would be to compare them to soft wheels.

I see people saying they are amazing on rough ground, meh oh smooth surfaces. Which seems completely fucking obvious.

So anyone expecting it to grind as smoothly as a 101a is a weirdo.  You’re weird. Try grinding with a true 93a and tell me again if they stick as much.

But making a 93 wheel that can slide even close to a hard wheel is a major innovation. I have a lot of shit ground where I live, including about half the parks. Is they ride as advertised, it will let me ride more, for maybe even longer.  That’s a bonus.

So stop trying to compare a soft wheel to a hard wheel. That’s not asking the right question.
Does this soft wheel ride better than other soft wheels is what I want to know. And Ben even said they stuck less on some grinds than 97a Spits. So that’s seems like a pretty amazing thing for a wheel 4a softer.

Yo chill the fuck out. I never said they should perform in all ways like a hard wheel. In fact, I was saying that they didn't and it was to be expected when like 2 or 3 posters kept trying to claim that they slid and grinded as good as a hard wheel. So basically I was saying what you would agree with but those of us that noted this kinda got talked over.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2022, 11:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yo chill the fuck out. I never said they should perform in all ways like a hard wheel. In fact, I was saying that they didn't and it was to be expected when like 2 or 3 posters kept trying to claim that they slid and grinded as good as a hard wheel. So basically I was saying what you would agree with but those of us that noted this kinda got talked over.

I’m tired of reading your personal vendetta about how much they ‘suck’ on certain grinds. It doesn’t come across as someone stating a case, you are being weird.

FUZZGNU too, but his weirdness at least comes from being (maybe a bit too overly) stoked on the wheels.

You seem just wanting to jam your ‘they suck at grinding’ hypothesis in, even in posts where the person grinding says they are fine. It’s weird.

Please ‘chill the fuck out’.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2022, 11:24:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m tired of reading your personal vendetta about how much they ‘suck’ on certain grinds. It doesn’t come across as someone stating a case, you are being weird.

FUZZGNU too, but his weirdness at least comes from being (maybe a bit too overly) stoked on the wheels.

You seem just wanting to jam your ‘they suck at grinding’ hypothesis in, even in posts where the person grinding says they are fine. It’s weird.

Please ‘chill the fuck out’.

Dude lmao it’s not us claiming that we expected it to slide n grind like a 99 or 101. Powell literacy states that in their own advertising and many of us found that to not be the case in many situations.

Nobody is denying that these are a really good for a 93a but we’re literally just disputing Powell own claims that they act like a 99 or 101 for slides grinds n shit