Author Topic: Problems with USA skateboarding team  (Read 33115 times)

BRINK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -940
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Problems with USA skateboarding team
« Reply #570 on: August 11, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
drats
[close]

Fiddlesticks
[close]

But glad to see you are defending criminals and alleged sexual harassers and insulting me.

Really ? Now you are accusing me of supporting criminals ?

You are a sick fuck !

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame looser !

Yes I am. So far its been 20 years of marginal fame. Niche skate fame. C-list fame. But still enjoyable because I get to do what I love for a living … including calling out criminals and people like you who support them simply to argue against me. Let’s get you to bingo granny.

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #571 on: August 11, 2022, 08:59:32 AM »
It's wild to hear a parent talk about this org and their kids needing a place to "train" for skateboarding. We all take different paths in skating and although I always dreamed of being a pro skater, I never thought of "training" to get better, I just went out and skated with my friends.... It also makes me sad and stoked at the same time that my parents never had a vested interest in my skateboarding life. To each their own, but hearing stuff like that comment makes me think skateboarding is slowly losing its soul.

BRINK

« Reply #572 on: August 11, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
this feels like the start of another sad thread .. bam, tk, nick jedi .. it really looks like the start of a mental breakdown

mods, can you lock this one before it’s too late

this feels like the start of another sad thread .. bam, tk, nick jedi .. it really looks like the start of a mental breakdown

mods, can you lock this one before it’s too late

Ya hereforthebeers is losing their mind after 4 days and 6 posts. Would hate to aggravate their pacemaker.

BRINK

« Reply #573 on: August 11, 2022, 09:01:53 AM »
It's wild to hear a parent talk about this org and their kids needing a place to "train" for skateboarding. We all take different paths in skating and although I always dreamed of being a pro skater, I never thought of "training" to get better, I just went out and skated with my friends.... It also makes me sad and stoked at the same time that my parents never had a vested interest in my skateboarding life. To each their own, but hearing stuff like that comment makes me think skateboarding is slowly losing its soul.

Dude at this point any parents that want their kids involved with this org are out of their minds. 

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1411
« Reply #574 on: August 11, 2022, 09:02:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
drats
[close]

Fiddlesticks
[close]

But glad to see you are defending criminals and alleged sexual harassers and insulting me.

You are a sick fuck !

The intentional misspellings really give me a zodiac vibe

YOU Were WRONG I AM NOT DEAD OR IN THE HOSPITAL I AM ALIVE AND WELL AND IM GOING TO START KILLING POSTING AGAIN

BRINK

« Reply #575 on: August 11, 2022, 09:03:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
drats
[close]

Fiddlesticks
[close]

You are a sick fuck !

[close]

The intentional misspellings really give me a zodiac vibe

YOU Were WRONG I AM NOT DEAD OR IN THE HOSPITAL I AM ALIVE AND WELL AND IM GOING TO START KILLING POSTING AGAIN

“LOOOOSER”

BRINK

« Reply #576 on: August 11, 2022, 09:04:40 AM »
PS … watching the Leo Baker doc today is time wayyyy better spent than being here. I loved it.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #577 on: August 11, 2022, 09:10:39 AM »

Don't worry too much
Contests have always been there
Training is just another word for repeating and getting better at it. It's labourious
It's a matter of perspective but i do find it cooler with my friends in the streets rather than at a training facility, just like you

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: August 11, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »
PS … watching the Leo Baker doc today is time wayyyy better spent than being here. I loved it.

You could watch it a second or perhaps third time instead of posting here

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
« Reply #579 on: August 11, 2022, 09:12:07 AM »
I got first in a contest once.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #580 on: August 11, 2022, 09:14:41 AM »

Yet, here you are.

somefucker

« Reply #581 on: August 11, 2022, 09:16:44 AM »
What kind of bad post bait circle jerk white knight sjw journalist troll incel shit is happening here

BRINK

« Reply #582 on: August 11, 2022, 09:21:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yet, here you are.

Ya cuz i saw it already. Re: “I loved it” …

BRINK

« Reply #583 on: August 11, 2022, 09:23:54 AM »
I got first in a contest once.

What was your run? I skated a local contest once and qualified to skate in the NJ Warped Tour am contest. 1998. Salman, Josh Beagle, Cab judged. I think I got 10th and got to see the Deftones for free so that was cool.

BRINK

« Reply #584 on: August 11, 2022, 09:25:43 AM »
What kind of bad post bait circle jerk white knight sjw journalist troll incel shit is happening here

I dunno … suddenly Slap is upset that transphobes and criminals and alleged sexual harassers and shady corpo people who have never skated a day in their life are getting called out.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #585 on: August 11, 2022, 10:09:16 AM »
Yes, that's precisely what "Slap is upset" about. We all talked about it while you were offline for 6 minutes.

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2022, 10:24:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry too much
Training is just another word for repeating and getting better at it. It's labourious
It's a matter of perspective but i do find it cooler with my friends in the streets rather than at a training facility, just like you

100% Contests are super fun too, hanging with friends, possibly winning product or money and seeing friends do well is always rad, I can always appreciate a fun contest. I just get bummed knowing there are kids out there who literally spend their entire young skate lives "training" for something. When parents talk about training, that makes me cringe, save that for  something a human needs to train for like marathons or weightlifting, let's just keep calling it "going out skating".

HereFortheBeer

« Reply #587 on: August 11, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry too much
[close]

100% Contests are super fun too, hanging with friends, possibly winning product or money and seeing friends do well is always rad, I can always appreciate a fun contest. I just get bummed knowing there are kids out there who literally spend their entire young skate lives "training" for something. When parents talk about training, that makes me cringe, save that for  something a human needs to train for like marathons or weightlifting, let's just keep calling it "going out skating".

I grew up surfing and skating. I surfed in a few contests but it wasn’t my thing.
The core surfers bagged on the contest surfers and resisted the change.
But over the years both sides stopped fighting a learned to get along.
There is a place in skate boarding for both the core skaters and the ones that want to compete.
There shouldn’t be so much hate between both sides.
Its still skateboarding which ever side you are on

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #588 on: August 11, 2022, 11:07:45 AM »
Brink...you are a shitting person!

stop shaming shitting people, asshole
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #589 on: August 11, 2022, 11:14:43 AM »
Contests have always been there, but they are structured differently, attract different types of people, and have different levels of emphasis on winning. The DGC, Tampa Pro, and the Olympics are all completely different.

And they have different levels of power behind them. The Olympic people like to pretend "Oh it is just another contest, contests have always been around it won't change anything else YOU allow it to change things" but at the same time they say, "this is completely different, it'll create huge changes around the world." They just repeat whatever talking point is most convenient to make themselves/this horrid event look good.

Beal's research on contests (https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ssj/12/3/article-p252.xml) sounds more like @BALARGUE 's experience than some kooky ass Olympic event.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 11:24:02 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

somefucker

« Reply #590 on: August 11, 2022, 11:29:37 AM »
this thread is like being in a shitty echo chamber with a 5 year old on mountain dew, a bag of skittles and peanut butter hands

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #591 on: August 11, 2022, 12:37:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry too much
[close]

[close]

I grew up surfing and skating. I surfed in a few contests but it wasn’t my thing.
There is a place in skate boarding for both the core skaters and the ones that want to compete.

I surf and skate too. And 90% of surfers today are terrible jock mentality types. In contrast, 90% of skateboarder's are still cool as shit. And I'm down for resisting any tipping of those scales. Good luck to your kid though, hope he gets a gold!!!

Also, fwiw, The Lurper's comments throughout this thread are the only pieces of gold in an otherwise utter shit pile. Thank you Lurper.

HereFortheBeer

« Reply #592 on: August 11, 2022, 01:55:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry too much
[close]

[close]

[close]

I surf and skate too. And 90% of surfers today are terrible jock mentality types. In contrast, 90% of skateboarder's are still cool as shit. And I'm down for resisting any tipping of those scales. Good luck to your kid though, hope he gets a gold!!!

Also, fwiw, The Lurper's comments throughout this thread are the only pieces of gold in an otherwise utter shit pile. Thank you Lurper.

'90% of surfers today are terrible jock mentality types'

Where did you find that data? The WHO website?

There are dicks in every sport. I would say 99% of the skateboarders are cool.

But I have never seen another group of athletes so divided on this issue.

When I started snow boarding the skiers hated snow boarders....couldn't ride on certain mountains.

When the ski community started to accept the snow boarders it boosted the whole industry.

Shaun White is a legend in both snow and skate....

‘Can’t we all just get along?’ by Rodney King

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #593 on: August 11, 2022, 02:12:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry too much
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

When I started snow boarding the skiers hated snow boarders....couldn't ride on certain mountains.

When the ski community started to accept the snow boarders it boosted the whole industry.

lol Shaun White is definitely a legend in snowboarding. But I have never met a single skateboarder that gave a shit about Shaun White, no less considered him a legend. Another example of the quality of our culture that I'd like to preserve. Also, "athletes" lol. I think you're frame of reference for skateboarding is wildly different from the vast majority of everyone else on this forum who don't just "skate" but are indeed "skateboarders". We can still get along though. You seem at least way cooler than Brink.

HereFortheBeer

« Reply #594 on: August 11, 2022, 03:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry too much
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

lol Shaun White is definitely a legend in snowboarding. But I have never met a single skateboarder that gave a shit about Shaun White, no less considered him a legend. Another example of the quality of our culture that I'd like to preserve. Also, "athletes" lol. I think you're frame of reference for skateboarding is wildly different from the vast majority of everyone else on this forum who don't just "skate" but are indeed "skateboarders". We can still get along though. You seem at least way cooler than Brink.

You are right....he is not a "legend" in skateboarding....... Bad comparison.

Core Skate boarders hate the term "athletes".

I laughed the first time I heard a surfer called an "athlete" But it took 50 years for  Core surfers to accept it.

In the 70"s we surfed drank/smoked and surfed some more. Repeat every day.  The only thing that ever got better was the weed we smoked.

In the 80"s guys started taking surfing seriously...we goofed on them.

They worked hard, trained , ate healthy and eased up on the drugs/alcohol.

They started to earn money and were able to surf all over the world on someone else dime. Guess where we were ?? The same beach smoking, drinking and doing more drugs.

I have a few friends that could of made a living out of surfing if they changed their life styles. They resisted the change.

My point is everyone should have an option which road  they want take. There will ALWAYS be core surfers and skaters.

I think the industry needs a balance to protect the roots but also give skaters/surfers the option to make a living at something they love to do.

I know this is not the forum to preach this too.

Look at what kids are doing today? Kids like Tre the tank or Kriston ( not sure if I spelled their names right) are doing crazy shit. They skate hard and push the limits.

They should reap the benefits of their hard work.

Would it be wrong for them to want to compete in the Olympics if it would give them more exposure and the ability to make money?

BTW....  I am way cooler than BRINK

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
« Reply #595 on: August 11, 2022, 05:28:50 PM »
Honestly, this post reinforces everything I believed about nearly everyone willing to work for the Olympics.

Shaun White is super cool.

https://corporate.target.com/article/2012/07/10-years-and-counting-shaun-white-and-target-celeb

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/09/shaun-white-arrested-charged-with-vandalism-and-public-intoxication

And the overall theme in the rest of this nonsense is "If it doesn't make you money, don't bother."

"[Some surfers] worked hard, trained , ate healthy and eased up on the drugs/alcohol. They started to earn money and were able to surf all over the world on someone else dime. Guess where we were ?? The same beach smoking, drinking and doing more drugs."

Oh, if only we all turned things we enjoyed into jobs and made everything about the pursuit of profit. Sex is fun, let's all try to be pornstars. I'm sure professional sex for profit is just as fun/meaningful as amateur sex.

"Look at what kids are doing today? Kids like Tre the tank or Kriston ( not sure if I spelled their names right) are doing crazy shit. They skate hard and push the limits."

If only our childhoods could be framed around the rational pursuit of winning rather than something like enjoying life. Also, what happens when these kids waste their childhoods training in one thing and go no where in that field? Like is Jet being supported by Jagger? Does Jagger give his brother an allowance? Should we all just join training camps at age 3?

Honestly, instead of fucking up skateboarding, why don't you (and everyone else who has, is, and will work for the Olympics), just go get involved in a traditional sport? Instead of turning skateboarding into a sport, why didn't you (and everyone) else join a pre-established sport that holds your terrible values that are antithetical to skateboarding? There has been a lot of talk of being good enough, dedicating yourself, pushing boundaries, why didn't you and all these Olympic people push themselves hard enough to be a part of the sports that actually matter and offer real money?

This irks me to no end. All of the Olympic people could have worked harder and made it in institutions that supported their traditional sport values but they all took the easy way out by declaring themselves leaders of an activity that didn't want leaders and has few people arrogant enough to declare themselves leaders. They took the absolute easiest path of no resistance and then frame themselves as martyrs/geniuses. Go to a field where the is real competition for leadership roles and let's see how well it goes.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 06:44:46 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #596 on: August 11, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »
This is a pretty low bar to be crowing about leaping over, but perhaps you might want to read the room a bit before trotting out Trae the Tank-Engine as an example of what's going right in skateboarding.
GTFOH w/ that skate-daddy crap.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 601
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: August 11, 2022, 06:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry too much
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You are right....he is not a "legend" in skateboarding....... Bad comparison.

Core Skate boarders hate the term "athletes".

I laughed the first time I heard a surfer called an "athlete" But it took 50 years for  Core surfers to accept it.

In the 70"s we surfed drank/smoked and surfed some more. Repeat every day.  The only thing that ever got better was the weed we smoked.

In the 80"s guys started taking surfing seriously...we goofed on them.

They worked hard, trained , ate healthy and eased up on the drugs/alcohol.

They started to earn money and were able to surf all over the world on someone else dime. Guess where we were ?? The same beach smoking, drinking and doing more drugs.

I have a few friends that could of made a living out of surfing if they changed their life styles. They resisted the change.

My point is everyone should have an option which road  they want take. There will ALWAYS be core surfers and skaters.

I think the industry needs a balance to protect the roots but also give skaters/surfers the option to make a living at something they love to do.

I know this is not the forum to preach this too.

Look at what kids are doing today? Kids like Tre the tank or Kriston ( not sure if I spelled their names right) are doing crazy shit. They skate hard and push the limits.

They should reap the benefits of their hard work.

Would it be wrong for them to want to compete in the Olympics if it would give them more exposure and the ability to make money?

I'm not interested in hearing about how good skateboarding was before the Iranian oil embargo or thinking that trae the tank is a good thing. Really fumbling on the one yard line

BRINK

« Reply #599 on: August 11, 2022, 07:49:16 PM »
“BaCk iN mY DaY” …