Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 721082 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1980 on: August 07, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »
been skating 53mm F4 101's the past two weeks at my local skatepark. Absolutely perfect wheel so far for me. I had been riding Bones STF for a few years, and those felt like garbage compared to these. I am sold 100%.

I legit weighed them and my 52's were lighter than any Spitfire 53 I had, but by 2-3g/wheel at most.

1xz5h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
« Reply #1981 on: August 10, 2019, 12:37:32 PM »
Newb here.

Posted in the setup thread not too long ago and decided I'm going to get two different board sizes: an 8 and 8.5 and I'm thinking 52/54 F4s, respectively. Now which specific model I have no idea.

Considering radial slims, radials, conicals, or conical full. Tablets? Don't want to go any bigger than 54mm on the 8.5 b/c of wheel bite potential. I'll be riding 149 Indy standards on both decks fwiw and I'm on the heavier side. Do you think I should go 52mm on both? Most people seem to like the 51-53 range.

Read pretty much the entire thread back from like page 40 or so and I still have no idea what wheels to pick. Looking for an "all-around" terrain wheel I guess. Plan on riding fairly safe flat and maybe some at the local park.

I'm now just getting back into skating after a *long* hiatus so I'm rusty, which is an understatement. Initially won't be doing anything crazy at all, ie acclimating to the feel of the board again, working on pushing comfortably, carving, etc.

Considering all of that, if you *had* to pick one model of the Spit F4s, what would you recommend? I'm leaning towards conical full but not 100% sure. I remember someone mentioning the absolute middle ground is a 54mm F4 conical non-full.

Appreciate any input!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:40:14 PM by 1xz5h »

Reese

« Reply #1982 on: August 10, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
99a F4 52 classic

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1983 on: August 10, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
If in doubt go with the classics. If you're a newb I'd go 54mm. Its fun to roll.

1xz5h

« Reply #1984 on: August 10, 2019, 03:54:11 PM »
If in doubt go with the classics. If you're a newb I'd go 54mm. Its fun to roll.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with 52mm on both decks, one Classic F4s, and the other F4 Conical Fulls to see if there's any significant difference for me. Leery about 54s tbh 'cause of wheel bite as I'm on the heavier side (180 lbs)

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1985 on: August 10, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
What are the main differences between Formula 4 99a and 101a? I mean obviously one is harder than the other, but I mean practically speaking, how do they differ? For example, is 99a better on indoor Skatelite and 101a better for concrete parks? I skated Bones STF's for years, but they're pretty much like ice on Skatelite. And for anything other than reasonably smooth cement, they're way too hard and rough.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1986 on: August 10, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »
I think keeping the wheel size the same is smart. I like regular conicals a lot. After a while the conical fulls felt almost too grippy. Make sure you come back and tell us your thoughts on them after a few sessions.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

1xz5h

« Reply #1987 on: August 10, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »
I think keeping the wheel size the same is smart. I like regular conicals a lot. After a while the conical fulls felt almost too grippy. Make sure you come back and tell us your thoughts on them after a few sessions.

Agreed on keeping it apples to apples on the size plus I really don't want to go any higher than 52 considering my weight. Also, every where I looked (online or at my shop) the stock was all 52mm-heavy. Figured it's basically the standard size for most (happy medium between the 51-53 range people seem to like here). Both will be 99s too. Will def report back even though I'm a super novice. My feet might not be able to even discern the difference.

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1988 on: August 10, 2019, 05:37:33 PM »
What are the main differences between Formula 4 99a and 101a? I mean obviously one is harder than the other, but I mean practically speaking, how do they differ? For example, is 99a better on indoor Skatelite and 101a better for concrete parks? I skated Bones STF's for years, but they're pretty much like ice on Skatelite. And for anything other than reasonably smooth cement, they're way too hard and rough.
The 101’s feel faster to me and slide easier. The 99’s feel smoother and more controllable. Can’t go wrong with both. Might stick with 99’s from now on.
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1989 on: August 10, 2019, 06:50:46 PM »
I’ve had 52mm conical fulls and 52mm classics
you’ll definitely notice a difference

101 are good for smooth concrete parks but 99 for everything else

1xz5h

« Reply #1990 on: August 10, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
I’ve had 52mm conical fulls and 52mm classics

If pressed, your favorite b/w the two?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1991 on: August 10, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
classics

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1992 on: August 10, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
Classics will actually give you less wheel bite due to the way they taper and I really like the way they wear down. Its just a good all round shape for everything. Width to height is proportioned great on classics.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1993 on: August 10, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with 52mm on both decks, one Classic F4s, and the other F4 Conical Fulls to see if there's any significant difference for me. Leery about 54s tbh 'cause of wheel bite as I'm on the heavier side (180 lbs)

OI'm 200 libs and never ride anything smaller than 54mm for what its worth. If you are new to skateboarding, you won't be getting much wheel bite anyway. I think you'll enjoy a slightly bigger wheel when learning and they will last longer. 54mm calling you.

1xz5h

« Reply #1994 on: August 10, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

OI'm 200 libs and never ride anything smaller than 54mm for what its worth. If you are new to skateboarding, you won't be getting much wheel bite anyway. I think you'll enjoy a slightly bigger wheel when learning and they will last longer. 54mm calling you.

52s already on the way...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:17:44 AM by 1xz5h »

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1995 on: August 10, 2019, 08:15:06 PM »
it is but 54mm with 149s. you'll be just fine. you won't be jumping down huge shit just yet.

but to your question, a more square shaped wider wheel will give more wheel bite than a skinnier rounded wheel. think about how the wheel meets the deck. more surface to hit with wider/ squared off wheels.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1996 on: August 10, 2019, 08:15:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Shit. 52s already on the way...

its all good. enjoy what you got. you'll be fine.

1xz5h

« Reply #1997 on: August 10, 2019, 08:19:22 PM »
it is but 54mm with 149s. you'll be just fine. you won't be jumping down huge shit just yet.

but to your question, a more square shaped wider wheel will give more wheel bite than a skinnier rounded wheel. think about how the wheel meets the deck. more surface to hit with wider/ squared off wheels.

So Spit F4 Classics 99a all the way?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:18:10 AM by 1xz5h »

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1998 on: August 10, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »
its all personal preference. different shapes lock onto curbs, ledges and coping in different ways. some people like a wheel that 'locks on.' some shapes will break into and hold slides longer. some shapes will feel better on different surfaces. there is a lot to explore but I think 99a Classics are a great all rounder to start on. You're stoked.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1999 on: August 11, 2019, 01:04:12 AM »
I like conical fulls on shitty brick streets and rough terrain. Was surprised how the 52s hold it down on brick. I don't like classics on brick but love them for everything else. Always get hyped on the way the classics look though.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #2000 on: August 11, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »
I like conical fulls on shitty brick streets and rough terrain. Was surprised how the 52s hold it down on brick. I don't like classics on brick but love them for everything else. Always get hyped on the way the classics look though.

I skated classics for a long time but I picked up some conical fulls and I don't know if I'll go back. 54mm conicals handle the rough stuff on my commute (lots of cracks and uneven sidewalk blocks) better than the 56mm classics did and seem just as fast on the smooth streets. Some jagoff put a bunch of oak trees over the bike lanes so there's a bunch of acorns and I just bomb right through and crush them with the conicals and I haven't gotten bodied by a rock yet but now that I said that I can almost guarantee it'll happen tomorrow. 

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2001 on: August 11, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated classics for a long time but I picked up some conical fulls and I don't know if I'll go back. 54mm conicals handle the rough stuff on my commute (lots of cracks and uneven sidewalk blocks) better than the 56mm classics did and seem just as fast on the smooth streets. Some jagoff put a bunch of oak trees over the bike lanes so there's a bunch of acorns and I just bomb right through and crush them with the conicals and I haven't gotten bodied by a rock yet but now that I said that I can almost guarantee it'll happen tomorrow.
hey buttfart, should I get conicals or fulls. I’ve skated both but where I’m debating on getting 52 Louie’s or 56 fulls. Or 55 oski radials. I really wanna support Louie. But the ground where I live is rough so I’m debating. Help.
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2002 on: August 11, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »
After trying STFs (v2s), bones 100s, and spit classics, I'm back to F4s. The classics were fine but wore really quick. Not bad at all, but F4s for the win.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2003 on: August 12, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »
are non f4's still absolute dog shit? I like the shape, size and price of these.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Spitfire_OG_Classic_Wheels/descpage-SFOGCWH.html

feedmeseymour

« Reply #2004 on: August 12, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »
are non f4's still absolute dog shit? I like the shape, size and price of these.

yes, if you do any sort of power slide and weigh more than 100 pounds youll just end up wasting your money and buying f4's

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2005 on: August 12, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
the classic ogs look super nice but are line classics in extra heavy and sticky.

to me they feel like mini cubes, like hard cruiser wheels. weird things

if you want what the spitfire hype is about f4 is the way to go.

PMA

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2006 on: August 12, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »
Yes sir, still absolute canine fecal matter.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2007 on: August 13, 2019, 04:51:38 AM »

I rode those in 60mm and they were fine. They slide well, keep speed and are durable. Not quite as good as f4’s but for the price they are good. Not sure how they would compare in smaller sizes though. I rode the 60mm in those and later rode 58mm f4 conical fulls and the differences in performance weren’t huge, though the 60mm wheels were wider and seemed slightly more squared.

JollyOli

• Rep: 5
  • old as dirt
« Reply #2008 on: August 14, 2019, 06:29:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yes, if you do any sort of power slide and weigh more than 100 pounds youll just end up wasting your money and buying f4's

I wanted to try a different shape and size and didn't want to splash on F4's as it was probably an extension of my truck madness. Rode them for a bit and they are OK, but when your comparison is what is widely regarded as the best all round functioning wheel available you're backing the wrong horse. Just get the F4's.
Pea Suit.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #2009 on: August 14, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »
I got some classics (non F4) for last winter. I liked them. They were slower and grippier but that's what I wanted for slick indoor spots. They wear down faster also but some people swear by them. I do a lot of slides and they did not flat spot out on me. I'm guessing they can flat spot a lot easier than f4s. I have some OG shaped ones for this upcoming winter...