Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720449 times)

PolarJames

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3960 on: March 22, 2022, 09:55:06 AM »
I've currently got Spitfire formula 4 conical full 99a. I was wondering for my next set of wheels are the 101a significantly slidier? Thanks

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #3961 on: March 22, 2022, 10:37:33 AM »
Turns out the 52mm (second hand 54mm) conical fulls I been riding are 101s and not 99s like I thought. They’ve been perfect on the big mini at the indoor, way faster than 97a with predictable slides. Maybe it’s a fluke set that happen to grip more than the an average 101 but they can mash without ice skating

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3962 on: March 22, 2022, 03:43:09 PM »

The weirdest thing to me is that the Formula Four 101s can sometimes be more slick with some sets and sometimes be more grippy with other sets than the standard 99s, which seem to always have the same feeling from set to set, regardless of size, shape and how old they are - all factors which definitely make a difference with other wheels I have owned over the years.

Other people have said this too.

If anything, it might be that once you get into a slide, the 101s can sometimes slide further and longer than the 99s, but the most recent set I got from someone just didn't want to slide much at all, so they ended up on the "slippery surface board" and had more grip than the new 97s I had just put on.

Either way, they are great wheels and I am not about to change any time soon, but I prefer the 99s over the 101s and have had the 97s for rough ground or when a bit of extra grip is needed.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3963 on: March 22, 2022, 03:59:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm riding some Radial Fulls for the first time. Definitely the biggest wheel I've ever skated. Still getting used to the whole setup, so I can't really speak to the wheels in particular yet.

I'm realizing that even though I initially wasn't a huge fan of the 97a I was riding, it's hard to go back up to 99a with this Midwest crust. Brutal out here.

It will be hard to determine what is Conical Full vs. Radial Full and what is 97a vs. 99a. Especially with the Conical Fulls having started at 54 and are now 50-52, while the Radial Fulls are 56. However, no complaints yet except for my brand new Aces are very squirrelly, so all 4 of my wheels have wheelbit already on my first session.

Once I wear the trucks in, I'll tighten them up a bit and report back on the wheels.

Anyone have any strong opinions on wheel shape? Conical vs. radial vs. straight edge vs. classic?
[close]

Radial is the perfect blend of all wheel shapes. And as a broke lad right now I appreciate that they get more square as they wear down to help with lock. 56mm or larger classics also kind of act like radials for me.
[close]

I definitely enjoy the Classic wheels in larger sizes once they wear down a few mm, as you said 56 down to between 54 to 52 mm is about perfect I think, but I do like wider wheels in general with roundish edges.
[close]

My sweetspot for wheel size is too small for this. I want my wheels to be 51 - 53 mm. So wearing them down from 56 mm will take longer than I can actually ride them at my preferred size. Just ditched a set of 52 mm Classics that were down to just under 50 mm in no time. Put on 52 mm Classic Fulls that I don't expect to last for much longer. So I will try 54 mm next to get a bit more out of one set. I used to be more comfy on broken in setups but since last year's setup deep dive I have started to appreciate fresh setups. Shit is getting expensive.

I have some friends who skate bigger wheels and then offer a trade back when they are smaller so that helps.

Besides that, I had a couple of boards, much the same only one had bigger wheels (from new for go fast and bigger stuff) and the other had the same wheel only worn down smaller (more for tech stuff) so that worked fairly well.

Remembering when I was growing up with not much cash or skate product and having one board and hating the first month or more with new wheels that I could never do much tech stuff on but they would last ages and then by the time they were almost done, they were so small and so easy to do more tech stuff, then new wheels again and the cycle continued.

I guess it is finding the balance there for wheel size and making the most of what you have, which for me includes finding anything on sale and buying more to stock up to get me through.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #3964 on: March 22, 2022, 07:04:29 PM »
It's worth pointing out to you guys that wider wheels wear down more slowly. Classics are going to wear down a lot quicker than Radial/Conical Fulls. Also, softer wheels wear down quicker as well.

If I were you guys I would either grab some wide 101a F4s or some wide 103a STF Bones V4 (Radial) or V6 (Conical).
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3965 on: March 22, 2022, 08:13:53 PM »
Classic Fulls are a worn 54/56 (for 52mm/54mm respectively) from the get go if you want to skip that process

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3966 on: March 23, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »
Classic Fulls are a worn 54/56 (for 52mm/54mm respectively) from the get go if you want to skip that process

Yeah that is true. I measured my old 54 classics with some new 52 classic fulls. They are almost identical. Riding surface on the classic fulls is just 1 mm wider.

I've been looking at the OG classics in 53mm for these crusty East Berlin streets here. What is different about them compared to classics? I mean from a riding point. Will I lose my remaining 10 flips because of a wider wheel? I had Radial slims a long time ago and those were nice. I am just not sure if wider or narrower wheels are better for tailslides for example.

Thanks in advance pals and keep that PMA.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3967 on: March 23, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
Classic Fulls are very wide. Basically Conical Full with a rounder edge.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #3968 on: March 23, 2022, 04:27:40 PM »
Has anyone tried the lil smokes? 50-51mm? They look like a different compond to say the F4s?

Am I right in saying that?

I would love a 51mm f4 Tablet
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #3969 on: March 23, 2022, 04:56:59 PM »
Has anyone tried the lil smokes? 50-51mm? They look like a different compond to say the F4s?

IIRC someone on here said something like Lil Smokies could be wheels that didn’t pass QC, are shaped into a smaller, usable size/ shape then given a minimal graphic to maintain a lower price point.

I think I read that on here but I’m halfway through my post-work joint and I could be wrong.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3970 on: March 23, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »

They are f4.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #3971 on: March 23, 2022, 05:26:45 PM »
They're indeed F4. Had a pair of standard 99 51mm tablets and a set of lil smokie 99 51mm tablets. They skated exactly the same and were probably the best small wheels I've ever ran.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #3972 on: March 23, 2022, 05:59:58 PM »
They're indeed F4. Had a pair of standard 99 51mm tablets and a set of lil smokie 99 51mm tablets. They skated exactly the same and were probably the best small wheels I've ever ran.

Cheers, good to know. Interesting theory about the post a couple above about being rejects that have been shaved down.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #3973 on: March 23, 2022, 06:45:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

IIRC someone on here said something like Lil Smokies could be wheels that didn’t pass QC, are shaped into a smaller, usable size/ shape then given a minimal graphic to maintain a lower price point.

I think I read that on here but I’m halfway through my post-work joint and I could be wrong.

I said that, not 100000% certain but source is reliable.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #3974 on: March 23, 2022, 10:32:43 PM »

kinda funny reading this earlier, then finding these at the shop right after.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3975 on: March 23, 2022, 10:49:03 PM »
Had my first session on the Radial Full 56mm and these things absolutely GO. I’m usually on a 54mm when on 8.25 and 52mm on 8, but I threw these beasts on my 8.25 and I kinda love it. They’re definitely heavy but they still seem to get off the ground just fine, I felt like I had to really muscle my pop but then it paid off.

I think these will perhaps go on my Couch with some wide and light Thunders, that sounds nice to me right now. I want to experiment with them on trucks that are more narrow than the deck, it seems like they might turn better. Maybe like an 8.5 with 144s and an extra inner washer.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3976 on: March 24, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »
Had my first session on the Radial Full 56mm and these things absolutely GO. I’m usually on a 54mm when on 8.25 and 52mm on 8, but I threw these beasts on my 8.25 and I kinda love it. They’re definitely heavy but they still seem to get off the ground just fine, I felt like I had to really muscle my pop but then it paid off.

I think these will perhaps go on my Couch with some wide and light Thunders, that sounds nice to me right now. I want to experiment with them on trucks that are more narrow than the deck, it seems like they might turn better. Maybe like an 8.5 with 144s and an extra inner washer.

56 and bigger are just the best. Riding 57 Oski Radials. Waiting for my next deck to setup the 60 Kader Radial Fulls with Risers, event though they might be too extreme...

FuzzGNU

« Reply #3977 on: March 24, 2022, 05:42:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

56 and bigger are just the best. Riding 57 Oski Radials. Waiting for my next deck to setup the 60 Kader Radial Fulls with Risers, event though they might be too extreme...

I haven't really gotten to skate them much, but I'm liking my 56 Radial Fulls as well. I just feel so much more confident on them. You don't have to be afraid of random little bullshit ruining your day.

I'm still not sure if I like Radial Fulls or Conical Fulls more yet.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3978 on: March 27, 2022, 11:33:29 AM »
First 30 minute cruise through my neighborhood with some new 53mm OG classics.

I was on 54mm classics half my life and man these 53mm OG's handle the crust here so much better. They have the same width as my old classics but just more square edges and a wider riding surface. Might throw a second washer on the insides of my 144s to push the wheels a bit more out (I ride 8.25 decks). I need a while to get used to the different feeling and maybe readjust my ollies a bit.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3979 on: March 27, 2022, 06:32:34 PM »
First 30 minute cruise through my neighborhood with some new 53mm OG classics.

I was on 54mm classics half my life and man these 53mm OG's handle the crust here so much better. They have the same width as my old classics but just more square edges and a wider riding surface. Might throw a second washer on the insides of my 144s to push the wheels a bit more out (I ride 8.25 decks). I need a while to get used to the different feeling and maybe readjust my ollies a bit.

It was funny how narrow they looked to me when I first got some in 55, 58 and 60 mm sizes (only a mm or two thinner than others like Classics or Conical Full wheels for the same diameter really) but as you said, the contact area is about the same as Conical Full right from new, so they start with that wide profile and have maybe shaved a bit of the overall width and cut weight down too, which I can see are both a plus for people who like them.

They definitely skated well for me too, when I did have a roll on some, from the boards of people who bought them, that is.

I haven't seen any worn down yet, but I know from well used Conical Full wheels, the edge becomes a bit more sharp and can chip off more easily, which is why I often round them off a bit with the grinder when I get some back from people who have upgraded to new ones.

There is definitely a place for them in the current lineup, along with Classics and others that are well liked.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3980 on: March 28, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
Does anyone ride tablets? I don't think I've seen a pair in the wild. Can anyone speak to their benefits?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #3981 on: March 28, 2022, 11:23:41 AM »
Does anyone ride tablets? I don't think I've seen a pair in the wild. Can anyone speak to their benefits?

What I've heard is, they feel like a thin light wheel (Classic) but with a wider riding surface for handling rougher terrain. Don't wear down as quickly. All those benefits of a wider riding surface. It's like a tech/flip wheel with more ride patch.

They lock in super well, but drag with a ton of friction once they lock in.

I've heard people say they are amazing at first, but once they wear down and lose their shape, they start to become noticably worse, and don't slide as well.

This is only what I've heard. Hope it helps.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3982 on: March 28, 2022, 11:32:59 AM »

I've seen a few and have been riding the 53mm 99a ones for a long time. Amazing lock in, great for tech moves. A skinny light wheel that can handle a bit of crust due to the wide riding surface. I'd definitely get them again.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3983 on: March 28, 2022, 11:37:56 AM »
I've had 54s and 55s. I liked them both and didn't really notice a drag on grinds but I can see that being a potential issue due to the sidewall. 55s are really close to the OG Classic 55s. But the OG classics have a more cutaway shape to eliminate the drag. So in the bigger sizes it might be worth looking at OG Classics for the same benefits without the potential grind drag...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #3984 on: March 28, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of tablets.

Look weird, sidewall drag when locking in, and the lack of taper makes scooping tricks/breaking into slides a little trickier. Also easier to get caught in cracks when rolling parallel to them vs say a classic.

Radials slims had a similar slim profile, locked in pretty much just as well, but had some taper and didn't have a completely flat sidewall. Felt pretty much better in every way to me unless you absolutely need maximum contact patch no matter what.
Wish they made that shape again.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3985 on: March 28, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
Skated couple sets (52 & 54mm)

To me they are classics that lock better. Prefer classics though but mostly because thats the shape i've run with most.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3986 on: March 28, 2022, 10:23:59 PM »
Radials slims had a similar slim profile, locked in pretty much just as well, but had some taper and didn't have a completely flat sidewall. Felt pretty much better in every way to me unless you absolutely need maximum contact patch no matter what.
Wish they made that shape again.

Radial Slims > Tablets

Tablets are (I think) Spitfire's skinniest wheel, good choice if you're not a fan of their chunkier wheels versus Bones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3987 on: March 29, 2022, 07:19:48 AM »
I’ve also had and not really liked Tablets. They have a wider riding surface than Classics, close to Conical width I think. The comparison to Radial Slims has already been made, but I’d rather ride Conicals over them as well.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3988 on: March 29, 2022, 10:42:17 AM »
I’ve also had and not really liked Tablets. They have a wider riding surface than Classics, close to Conical width I think. The comparison to Radial Slims has already been made, but I’d rather ride Conicals over them as well.

The Tablets are a slimmer wheel due to them being fully flat on the sides of the wheels; giving them a squared out look. Conicals are wider than tablets, Conical fulls are wider than both of the previous wheels.

(52mm):
Tablets: Width-29, Riding Surface-20
Conical: Width-31.5, Riding Surface-19.5
Conical Full: Width-32.5, Riding Surface-21

Personally I prefer wider riding surface so i'll be on the F4 OG classics or the F4 Conical Full, the tablets didn't seem appealing to me with the flat sides, but I definitely see the appeal for other people.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3989 on: March 29, 2022, 10:57:06 AM »
I appreciate the last few posts on this. I’m still looking for the ultimate 52.