Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717136 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #690 on: April 18, 2010, 10:10:27 AM »
410:
Did you photomatix it as well? It looks a little bit like the demopictures from the photomatix website. Nice!

Expand Quote
I shoot with a Nikon D90 with 35mm lens and 10.5mm fisheye. Trying to go back to Canon when my money is right.
[close]

I think it shoots really nice pictures. Do you think Canon 50D is on par with it? I was thinking about that one for some time now...

I've actually heard the 40D outperforms the 50D when it comes to low light shooting. I honestly don't know why they even made the 50D since there was really no significant upgrade aside from a larger megapixal count (irrelevant to better shooting). Only thing is I am not even sure if you can find a new 40D nowadays since it is discontinued and I even heard there will be a replacement to a 50D sometime soon with the video option to it. You might as well then get a new 50D since it will be really cheap soon or even the T2i which I heard is really good for a Rebel series.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

• Rep: 58
« Reply #691 on: April 18, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »
410:
Did you photomatix it as well? It looks a little bit like the demopictures from the photomatix website. Nice!

Expand Quote
I shoot with a Nikon D90 with 35mm lens and 10.5mm fisheye. Trying to go back to Canon when my money is right.
[close]

I think it shoots really nice pictures. Do you think Canon 50D is on par with it? I was thinking about that one for some time now...
Thanks!  Yeah a friend of mine gave me a copy last weekend, so I have been messing around with it quite a bit.

Derk the Jerk

• Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #692 on: April 20, 2010, 04:53:24 AM »

I shot two photoseries for a skateshop nearby here when they came to visit me for a weekend.
You can see the portrait serie here: http://tagstersmagazine.com/article/1083/harmen-bazuin-utrecht
Skateboarding and whatnot here: http://tagstersmagazine.com/article/1082/frisco-store-in-utrecht

I shot the portraits with a holga and I lit it with 2 video lights

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #693 on: April 26, 2010, 09:19:16 AM »
Some whatever shots from the past couple of days:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #694 on: April 26, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »

Mr. DNA

« Reply #695 on: April 26, 2010, 12:33:59 PM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #696 on: April 26, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »

This next one can be used for whatever...

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #697 on: April 26, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
I know some people shoot film on here and was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good small compact film camera. I am looking at the Canonet QL 13 at the moment.

Like the size of the camera and quality of the photos look okay. Anyone else got recommendations?

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #698 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »
I've heard pretty good things about Canonets. Might want to look at a Yashica T4 too, but I understand the weird demand has made them a little overpriced. They're very capable cameras though. There's also the Olympus Stylus for point and shoots, or a Pen F if you want really compact.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:49:54 PM by Mooley »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #699 on: April 27, 2010, 04:19:14 AM »
there are a couple of nice minoltas, mostly the af- series. I own the af-c and it's a nice camera, just the external flash sucks. get something with an 35mm lens (minoltas have a good one) and a in build flash. best thing about these kind of cameras is that they are fucking cheap on ebay.

this is a flyer where I shot the front and the back ... the b/w pic is actually my first ad ever for the skate industry. local skateshop though, hahaha.

and check the slap shoe on the left side, I put it there on purpose. holla.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #700 on: May 02, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »

Just got this over the weekend. Kind of can't wait to mess with this. Just need some film.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #701 on: May 05, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »

Just got this over the weekend. Kind of can't wait to mess with this. Just need some film.
Did you get it in a shop or on the internet ? Because I'm also looking for a camera like that. I love the style of the photos and carrying my oversized digital Eos 30D isn't very practical when taking city photos or whatever

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #702 on: May 05, 2010, 12:04:24 PM »
I got it off Craigslist from this old rocker that shot photos back in the days. It was in pristine condition and aside from the case, almost looks brand new. Ebay has a lot of the Canonets for sale and most aren't going for a ridiculous pricing. Still Craigslist might be best just cause you can talk them down a little and see the camera in person.

I just got a new battery and some film yesterday. Only shot 2 pictures and have about 34 left to complete. Warning for those who want to get a Canonet. There has been issues with the battery with it which effects the metering on the exposure setting. Some say they come out under exposed so you might have to adjust accordingly. I have been shooting all my photos a lot brighter just in case. I'll post up some pics when I get them scanned.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #703 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
I got it off Craigslist from this old rocker that shot photos back in the days. It was in pristine condition and aside from the case, almost looks brand new. Ebay has a lot of the Canonets for sale and most aren't going for a ridiculous pricing. Still Craigslist might be best just cause you can talk them down a little and see the camera in person.

I just got a new battery and some film yesterday. Only shot 2 pictures and have about 34 left to complete. Warning for those who want to get a Canonet. There has been issues with the battery with it which effects the metering on the exposure setting. Some say they come out under exposed so you might have to adjust accordingly. I have been shooting all my photos a lot brighter just in case. I'll post up some pics when I get them scanned.
I'll look around. I could use some more information about the camera itself though.
I want a film camera that makes "old school" looking photos to say it in a lame way. I like my digital camera, but all the pictures look a bit too "clean" if you know what I mean. And with a canonet for instance, can you do the same things you can do with a new digital camera ? change the shutter and diaphragm and stuff like that. (don't crucify me if it's a stupid question, I'm just a noob looking for information) I can work with the new digital cameras quite well, but I never learned anything about older cameras in school or something

EDIT: just went through all the basic information, nevermind about that. The cameras you find on ebay are hella cheap, but still, would it be a good investment photo quality-wise ? I may be getting too stoked too soon
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:20:38 PM by Lauwie138 »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #704 on: May 05, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Shit honestly....I am on the same boat as you since I just bought it. Whole purpose of getting this camera was to shoot fucked up looking pics as apposed to crisp colored digital ones that I get off of my Nikon D90. I checked Flicker pages on Canonets and none of them are super vintage but I guess it is all in the photographer and what he/she shoots. I am using some Kodak film with a high speed (400) to get extra grain for a more of a unique look. Spoke to the guy and he said it also had a nice high contrast to it as well. But I am not really sure how this whole film thing works. Maybe it also is how film is developed to get a vintage look? Not sure.

And yes the Canonet has manual controls with shutter and aperture rings on the lens. There is a lever as well to focus but since it is a 40mm, you will be doing  a lot of adjusting just walking back and forth.

Some examples of some Canonet shots from other people:

I guess it is worth a shot to test it out since the Canonet is somewhat of a cheap camera.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: May 05, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »
I asked for some more information as well and I'm really stoked on buying a vintage film camera now and what you say is all true. The developing does contribute a lot as well.
Put up some of your canonet photos once you have'em, I'm interested in seeing them

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -367
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #706 on: May 05, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'll look around. I could use some more information about the camera itself though.
I want a film camera that makes "old school" looking photos to say it in a lame way. I like my digital camera, but all the pictures look a bit too "clean" if you know what I mean. And with a canonet for instance, can you do the same things you can do with a new digital camera ? change the shutter and diaphragm and stuff like that. (don't crucify me if it's a stupid question, I'm just a noob looking for information) I can work with the new digital cameras quite well, but I never learned anything about older cameras in school or something

EDIT: just went through all the basic information, nevermind about that. The cameras you find on ebay are hella cheap, but still, would it be a good investment photo quality-wise ? I may be getting too stoked too soon
These days the sensors on digital cameras are really good, to the point where everything you shoot looks like its a crisp color photo shot on 100iso film. Rangefinders are dope, but there's a certain simplicity with a point and shoot thats really appealing when it comes to a compact camera. If anyone else is looking for a good compact film camera, I'd check out the Nikon 35ti. In essence, it's a true rangefinder, but it has a fixed 35mm lens. You can manually adjust the aperture and focus via the scale on the top of the camera. I use it, and I am very pleased with it. Also Lauwie, if you want "old school" style photos, pick up a Nikon FM-2 or Canon AE-1 and try messing around with faster films. Something like Fujicolor 800 or 1600 or Ilford Delta 3200 Black/White will give you a grainier photo, and an antiqued feel. You can make amazing photos with all 3 of those cameras, and the your photos will have that end result you desire.
Nikon 35ti photos:

Nikon FM-2 Photos:

Canon AE-1 Photos:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:12:11 PM by Snickers »
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #707 on: May 05, 2010, 03:14:22 PM »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #708 on: May 05, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
Those Nikon 35ti's are super god damn expensive. I was looking into that camera until the price was higher then I wanted to spend.

Check out e-bay auctions on them. The damn manual is expensive for christ sake.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=nikon+35ti&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The black ones are tits though.

And nice photos snickers. I really think these film cameras work best on portraits.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

snickers

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #709 on: May 05, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »
Those Nikon 35ti's are super god damn expensive. I was looking into that camera until the price was higher then I wanted to spend.

Check out e-bay auctions on them. The damn manual is expensive for christ sake.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=nikon+35ti&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The black ones are tits though.

And nice photos snickers. I really think these film cameras work best on portraits.
Forget eBay, if you want legit camera gear that's guaranteed, go to keh.com. You'll find a bigger selection for way cheaper, probably in better condition as well. I bought mine on Craigslist for $200, worth every fucking penny though. The black one is the 28ti, which has a slightly wider 28mm lens and an option slide control to turn the flash from off, auto, and on. And thank you very much Seņor Fongstarr, you shoot some damn good photos yourself.

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #710 on: May 06, 2010, 06:01:14 AM »

My firts published skateboarding shot

Derk the Jerk

• Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #711 on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:37 AM »
Stoked for you on having your first photo published, Vihreekerma!

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #712 on: May 06, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »

This picture is so perfect.  Also, congrats on getting a skate photo published!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #713 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »
Where was the photo published in?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #714 on: May 06, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
shot some stuff with a local dj here ... god damn, my scanner sucks. it's not sharp and there are more newton rings I could have ever imagined.

keep the stuff going, buddys. specially this stand up grind picture is awesome

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #715 on: May 06, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »
Where was the photo published in?

It was published here in finland. In the only skateboardingzine we have here named HANG UP. The photo ran in the contets so I'm pretty stoked myself!

This picture is so perfect.  Also, congrats on getting a skate photo published!
Thanks!

Stoked for you on having your first photo published, Vihreekerma!
Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:38:16 PM by vihreekerma »

30 Helens Agree:

• Rep: 4
« Reply #716 on: May 06, 2010, 11:52:17 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtenney/

black and white ones are the newest ones

oh and Snickers, i think you took a picture of me

snickers

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #717 on: May 07, 2010, 02:37:41 AM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtenney/

black and white ones are the newest ones

oh and Snickers, i think you took a picture of me
Did I now? When and Where?

30 Helens Agree:

• Rep: 4
« Reply #718 on: May 07, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »
i believe so. at the mike franklin benefit in santa clarita. i was sitting on the ground

snickers

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: May 07, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »
i believe so. at the mike franklin benefit in santa clarita. i was sitting on the ground
Ahh yes, I remember.