Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717135 times)

Mooley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #2400 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »
That's the XA, the XA2 is a bit more simplified. I love it, all you really have to do is focus by choosing one of three ranges and you're solid; it makes me take photos way differently.

Machu Picchu is fucking incredible. We spent one day looking around Machu Picchu then a second day climbing Huayna Picchu, the other mountain in the background of the third photo. I highly recommend doing that, even though it's a bit of a gamble. They only let a certain number of people in per day, and if the weather gets shitty (which it can in an instant) you're out of luck since the climb is fairly sketchy at times.

Definitely go, but do your best to see as much of Peru as possible. Had the fortune to also see the Amazon and the Sacred Valley while we were there and I can safely say Peru is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

But here's a view from Huayna Picchu when the sky was fairly clear:

And here's what it looked like by the time we were halfway down, looking towards Machu Picchu. We got super lucky that the weather just started blowing in when we were at the top. Seeing clouds roll over the top of those mountains was insane.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2401 on: October 29, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »
nice stuff going on here lately.

those are some snaps from my trip to tallinn, estonia.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #2402 on: October 29, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
Thanks dude, shot with my trusty Olympus XA2 with some of that drugstore kodak b/w film.
i remember you mentioned picking up an xa2 awhile back, but i'd have guessed the machu picchu shots were on 120 or something.  so insane what that tiny camera is capable of.  i had one for about a week and was loving it until i smashed it in on a vegas trip.  only cost me 3 bucks but it felt like it was worth a lot more as i picked up the pieces.

hercules, liking that "century is yours" shot a lot.  "nice try" is a winner too.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2403 on: October 30, 2011, 05:06:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The photo of the kid at the skate park is rad! The colours are great.

thanks man. they get kind of pixelated because I'm using tinypic for hosting to get the right size for msgboards. I have them in better quality on my photo-blog here:
http://cutiepatoottie.wordpress.com/

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #2404 on: October 31, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »

reminds me of Blueprint, really like the lighting too

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2405 on: October 31, 2011, 03:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

reminds me of Blueprint, really like the lighting too

that was actually what my intention was. there i was, sitting on a bench, looking to the left and the first thing i thought was "blueprint".

sx70

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2406 on: October 31, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
« Reply #2407 on: October 31, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
That house is awesome

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2408 on: November 01, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »
so, before i came to sweden, i finished a b/w-film. forgot to get it developed, so i told my parents to do it. took them 1 month. and then another 2 months to figure out how to send the files per mail.

so now i got them, i unzip the folder all excited and.....

its pictures of some wedding. not mine. fuck.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #2409 on: November 01, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
Got to play with a Hasselblad digital back for the first time in my landscape class, pretty stoked on that.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

NCSB

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2410 on: November 01, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »

buttpirate

« Reply #2411 on: November 02, 2011, 06:58:17 AM »

sick

Got to play with a Hasselblad digital back for the first time in my landscape class, pretty stoked on that.
what do you guys learn in a landscape class? exposure and zone metering? or theory robert adams style

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2412 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
what do you guys learn in a landscape class? exposure and zone metering? or theory robert adams style
Basically this. We cover a lot of different methods and styles to approaching it. The professor is really into the environment so a lot of it is her trying to make us see the landscape differently. We read and watch a lot of stuff about guys like Lewis Baltz, Edward Burtynsky, Ansel Adams, and others. I also got to shoot large format for the first time in that class, which isn't as intimidating as it once seemed.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2413 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
Hey guys,

Ive been thinking about getting a compact camera so that i can always have a camera on me and never miss an opportunity, however one quarm i have with most compacts is that most of the settings are burried in menus and make the whole thing very slow and annoying.

Im seriously considering getting a Fuji x10 as it has the layout and features of a DSLR and looks/feels like an old film camera. however im not so sure about spending 500 on a compact, even though i would use it all the time.

Let me know what you guys think

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2414 on: November 03, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
It all depends on what you'll actually use. I'm fairly skeptical when it comes to digital compacts and micro 4/3s cameras that don't simply fit into your pocket, because frankly if you're carrying a case/bag at all you might as well lug your dslr around. The x10 is definitely stylish, I like that it has a real viewfinder and it seems pretty competent, but like you said it's a fair bit of money so you'll want to be sure it's right.

Personally, I just like using my 35mm cameras as my anywhere cameras. I have the previously mentioned XA2 that fits into any pocket, and a Nikon FM2 that's super robust and fully mechanical. The bonus being they're both cheap as fuck so I don't have to worry about babying them.

buttpirate

« Reply #2415 on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Basically this. We cover a lot of different methods and styles to approaching it. The professor is really into the environment so a lot of it is her trying to make us see the landscape differently. We read and watch a lot of stuff about guys like Lewis Baltz, Edward Burtynsky, Ansel Adams, and others. I also got to shoot large format for the first time in that class, which isn't as intimidating as it once seemed.
nice, burtynsky is so good. haven't seen manufactured landscapes yet, plan to real soon. does your course consider new topographics as part of landscape or as something else?

I'm supposed to do a test shoot with my darkroom tech in a few weeks, as he wants to sell me this:

limited front movement and no back movement, but will be interesting to have an LF cam that can fit into a backpack.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2416 on: November 04, 2011, 06:11:01 AM »
scanned 4 films last night and there is only 1 picture that I like. bummed.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2417 on: November 04, 2011, 06:35:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
nice, burtynsky is so good. haven't seen manufactured landscapes yet, plan to real soon. does your course consider new topographics as part of landscape or as something else?

I'm supposed to do a test shoot with my darkroom tech in a few weeks, as he wants to sell me this:

limited front movement and no back movement, but will be interesting to have an LF cam that can fit into a backpack.

I really like Manufactured Landscapes, it's a good documentary. I like anything really that shows a photographer's approach to their work.

Yeah we've learned quite a bit about the New Topographics movement, I'd be sad if we didn't because I love that shit. Our current assignment is to do a series of parking lot photos so maybe I'll post some up when I'm done.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #2418 on: November 04, 2011, 11:20:50 PM »

I really need to buy a decent camera or better film.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2419 on: November 05, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »

Some images from a project where I print across a 3 Dimensional plane in a color darkroom and then photograph the prints from a specific vantage point in the studio.

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
« Reply #2420 on: November 06, 2011, 03:50:36 AM »

Some images from a project where I print across a 3 Dimensional plane in a color darkroom and then photograph the prints from a specific vantage point in the studio.

this is really cool!

Latarian Milton

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2421 on: November 06, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »
Some photos from a recent Seattle trip...

sx70

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2422 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2423 on: November 06, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

these are sharp, I dig the black border

NCSB

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2424 on: November 07, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »
Latarian Milton with the ill quality. Street corner shot is really tight

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2425 on: November 07, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
tried something that was referred to as "brenizer method" in some german forum. basically i took around 70 pictures with my 50mm/f1.7 wide open from left to right and in rows and let photoshop do its magic. it took my macbook only 25 minutes per picture...

gotta work on it though (i used aperture priority, so the exposure wasnt the same on all pictures...), but it might have some potential. i especially have to try to get more elements that emphasize the nice bokeh that should be created. i saw some nice stuff from that, and its sure as hell cheaper as getting a medium-format/FF camera.

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #2426 on: November 07, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

these are sharp, I dig the black border
Film ? What type ? Because I've tried a handful of b&w films, but haven't found the "perfect" type for my taste yet and these look just amazing.

And if these are digital anyway, I'll just go back in my dark cave with the other photography noobs.

Latarian Milton

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2427 on: November 07, 2011, 02:50:58 PM »
Thanks dudes.

Film ? What type ? Because I've tried a handful of b&w films, but haven't found the "perfect" type for my taste yet and these look just amazing.

I believe I used Ilford HP5 400 film and Neopan SS 100 (which was shot at 400 ISO on accident, but some shots still came out ok).

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2428 on: November 08, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
few shots from the fireworks night on the weekend and some test shots from the lens baby, really fun lens but cant wait till ive learnt how to use it naturally

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2429 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »