Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798225 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2790 on: March 18, 2020, 02:28:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Thinking about going down in wheel size for the summer. Not sure why and maybe I’ve had too much time to tho m about it. Normally I’m a 53 guy but I sorta want to try a 51-52
[close]
id ride 53s down to the size you want. 52 and below wheels have been a pain in the ass for relatively crusty street and the smaller contact patch is glaring on anything other than skatepark concrete. great if you only ride perfect spots, not practical for an all in one setup imo
That's what i'd think too. I'm on 54 now and want to go bigger.

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2791 on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:18 PM »
Guess I’m just too bored today. I actually don’t think I’ve ever bought a size other than 53 for my regular board.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2792 on: March 18, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Thinking about going down in wheel size for the summer. Not sure why and maybe I’ve had too much time to tho m about it. Normally I’m a 53 guy but I sorta want to try a 51-52
[close]
id ride 53s down to the size you want. 52 and below wheels have been a pain in the ass for relatively crusty street and the smaller contact patch is glaring on anything other than skatepark concrete. great if you only ride perfect spots, not practical for an all in one setup imo

That's the way I like to do it, get 53s whittle them down over time.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2793 on: March 18, 2020, 05:09:15 PM »

How long do your 53 stay the same size? After a week or two usually you’re already at down a size.
And can you really feel the difference?

PMA

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #2794 on: March 18, 2020, 05:25:35 PM »
I hope you debating about going down 1mm in wheel size is just poking fun at the madness. But if you’re for real, just ride some crust for a week like jtrpma said.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2795 on: March 18, 2020, 05:36:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How long do your 53 stay the same size? After a week or two usually you’re already at down a size.
I get one or two sessions in a week, I’m on a relatively new set of tablets that haven’t seen much action

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2796 on: March 18, 2020, 07:35:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So many factors involved. Smaller wheels def wear at a quicker rate but it really depends on what surface you ride, what tricks you like to do and so on....

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2797 on: March 18, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote
will i feel a big difference going from acid chem 56/86 to 55/78 super juice? been watching a lot of OJ's Cruisin' videos...
[close]

Yeah, will feel different because of the shape and duro. Mini juice will feel smoother and roll over crustier stuff but less versatile for tricks. Pretty easy to adjust to though

thanks dude I got em and definitely feel the difference—very nice
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2798 on: March 18, 2020, 08:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my smooth streets + skatepark wheel is spitfire F4 classic 99a, and has been for years.
been hunting for a wheel that can handle crustier spots, but also not be too soft for the park.
mini logo 90a are almost too bouncy/grippy, to me they're not too different in feel than spitfire chargers 80a
the keyframe 87a are nice on rough spots, but still a bit too soft for the park.
currently on a set of ricta clouds 92a, these are getting me close to a great multi use wheel....
but.... i just got a set of the new mini logo 95a in the 52mm 'a cut' shape. and they are WHITE.
will report back after putting them thru some various scenarios.
fyi.... all wheels i ride, regardless of duro, are 52mm to 54mm.
[close]

95a.. that sounds tempting. please check back in later and tell us how they perform with noseslides and stuff
[close]

took these out a few times over the weekend. these are great on streets around the neighborhood. the roads + sidewalks are not too rough, but def not skatepark smooth. these 95s had enough softness to get around with ease but still slide, pop, flip, and feel and perform close to a 99a.

took them to the park and they were more grippy than 99s of course, but not too bad overall. had to make sure not to over rotate ollies and such on the quarterpipes + hips or i would stick. noseslides not a problem, i'm on indys, so may be a diff story on thunders.

they have treads as new, but think after they break in a bit more will get better slides, and they could make a great ATV wheel. will post pics after some more sessions.

[close]
sounds good, how's the white color? is it fake-plastic-y looking and is that going away with wear? interested in the 87 keyframe 92 cloud 95 mini logo differences
[close]

been pretty cold in the nyc area lately, but got a few rolls in. starting to break these in, feeling great around the neighborhood. still pretty white, but not fake plasticy looking or feeling. they're on an antihero 8.06 w/ indy stage VII, going to take off the 1/8" rubber riser since i had 54mm wheels on this prior.

as far as a true atv wheel, as others have said, not sure it exists. based on my initial feedback above from running these 95a at the park, will def stick with F4 99a classics for smooth parks. i guess this just means i have to run 2 set ups.... park board + street board. both set ups will have same deck width/length/WB specs, both w/ indys + bones bushings + bearings, only diff will be wheel duro. going to swap out the minilogo 95a to the ricta cloud 92a to see if i like those better for neighborhood streets + crusty spots.

today is beautiful, so heading out to roll....

been rolling the streets + avoiding humans. my choice is made. loving the ricta 92a clouds vs. the mini logo 95a.
the rictas are smoother, but not too chunky for shuvs + flips, and not too grippy for full slides w/ speed.

stay safe out there!

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2799 on: March 18, 2020, 09:50:37 PM »
I retract my previous statement on the crupies. Fuck these wheels. Looked at the ones I barely rode and saw a flat spot. Luckily I have older, wider rictas and a set of pennswood winter tires that someone hooked me up with so I'm not fucked by any means. Really bummed on these crupies though. Mostly because they said something about being specifically flat spot resistant. Just went and spit on my face...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2800 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »
I retract my previous statement on the crupies. Fuck these wheels. Looked at the ones I barely rode and saw a flat spot. Luckily I have older, wider rictas and a set of pennswood winter tires that someone hooked me up with so I'm not fucked by any means. Really bummed on these crupies though. Mostly because they said something about being specifically flat spot resistant. Just went and spit on my face...

I like the team - Cerenzini, Sarmentio, Brezinsky but I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for their wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #2801 on: March 19, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »

hey man, flat spot resistant isn't flat spot proof.

I'd love a crupie shape, with better quality.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #2802 on: March 19, 2020, 05:25:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hey man, flat spot resistant isn't flat spot proof.

I'd love a crupie shape, with better quality.

Should last more than it did though. I don't really slide and I barely skated them. It's whatever though.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2803 on: March 20, 2020, 07:35:57 AM »
Experimented with a different wheel today - thinner contact patch and width but pretty rounded edges. I was surprised how much harder it was to get a good pinch onto my grinds especially crooked or smith grinds and I was slipping out mid grind. Going from that to a Bones V1 helped tremendously; having a flatter edge really helped secure the truck in. Kind of regret getting a Bones V3 since I think the V2 would have been a better fit for ledge skating.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2804 on: March 20, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
Experimented with a different wheel today - thinner contact patch and width but pretty rounded edges. I was surprised how much harder it was to get a good pinch onto my grinds especially crooked or smith grinds and I was slipping out mid grind. Going from that to a Bones V1 helped tremendously; having a flatter edge really helped secure the truck in. Kind of regret getting a Bones V3 since I think the V2 would have been a better fit for ledge skating.
Same here. They feel nicer while skating and they are better for flip tricks imo.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2805 on: March 20, 2020, 09:03:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same here. They feel nicer while skating and they are better for flip tricks imo.

Now that you mentioned it the flips did feel a lot lighter especially FS flips. Rolling on asphalt was a nightmare, I was getting caught in every crack.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2806 on: March 21, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
Love the way my V2s help into ledge tricks, hoping the tablets perform similar when I cross over.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2807 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
Love the way my V2s help into ledge tricks, hoping the tablets perform similar when I cross over.

Yeah I'm grabbing a pair next month to support a local shop, Easy Streets for that slide. Spitfire urathene and shapes not working for me, they slide great but the rounded edge of Classics was not helping me on pinching those grinds.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #2808 on: March 22, 2020, 08:53:58 AM »
Spitfire F4 Classic 52mm 99a have been my park wheel forever....
thinking of changing it up and swapping to tablet or radial slims, will stick with 52/99
what are pros/cons of the tablets vs. radial slims?
hope everyone is safe and sound and still getting out to roll in these deserted streets

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #2809 on: March 22, 2020, 08:59:27 AM »
thinking of changing it up and swapping to tablet or radial slims, will stick with 52/99
hope everyone is safe and sound and still getting out to roll in these deserted streets

I think the tablets will be a little easier to ride on shittier ground. The radial slims should be easier to flip and whatnot.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2810 on: March 22, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the tablets will be a little easier to ride on shittier ground. The radial slims should be easier to flip and whatnot.
^ this
+
Tablets have a nicer lock in. If have to choose between tablets and radial slims I would go for Tablets without a doubt.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2811 on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:41 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no noticeable difference.

@52MM:

Radial Slim = 30mm width / 18.5mm Contact patch
   Tablets     = 29mm width / 20mm Contact patch

That - 1mm difference in width will NOT help you flip better
That +1.5mm difference in width will NOT see you rolling over shit any smoother

Also, I highly doubt the side cut on either of these would preform any differently for locking in but there could be a slight difference when rolling onto edges....and even then that will last all of a month until they both wear down to the same exact shape with minor width differences (which I assume most people swap to a set freshies right, since that really is the differentiating factor with similar width wheels?).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:10:51 PM by Xen »

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2812 on: March 22, 2020, 10:07:45 PM »
anyone actually try Canal wheels?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2813 on: March 23, 2020, 08:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
^ this
+
Tablets have a nicer lock in. If have to choose between tablets and radial slims I would go for Tablets without a doubt.

I was skeptical of this but I agree.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #2814 on: March 23, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
^ this
+
[close]

hey fellers, thanks for the input. you too xen
i'm going with the tablets, although the tablets + radial slims have incredibly similar size specs, the tablets will be the more dramatic shape change from classics. will keep you posted on my tablet experiences....

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #2815 on: March 23, 2020, 12:18:50 PM »
recently got some Chocolate wheels and they are some real dogshit.  Feel super slow and they definitely stick a lot more on slides.  Back to spits for me, not sure what I was thinking...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2816 on: March 23, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
^ this
+
[close]

[close]

hey fellers, thanks for the input. you too xen
i'm going with the tablets, although the tablets + radial slims have incredibly similar size specs, the tablets will be the more dramatic shape change from classics. will keep you posted on my tablet experiences....

Let me know how it goes, Radial slims are my go to spits (I can't ride golf ball classics anymore, I just prefer thinner wheels, especially if the contact patch is the same) but I've wanted to try the tabs.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2817 on: March 23, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »
Similarly wanting to try 55mm Tablets

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2818 on: March 23, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
Similarly wanting to try 55mm Tablets
Maybe you could be interested in these pics
55 tablets vs 53 classics:

Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2819 on: March 23, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »
Does any other brands besides ricta make "slick" wheels.