Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 401222 times)

andocom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #390 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39:07 AM »
he's off the team page:

http://chocolateskateboards.com/team/

That's odd, wonder if anything happened?

Mack The Knife

« Reply #391 on: May 18, 2016, 01:52:27 AM »
Does Anyone else find it a bit suspicious that the same day Carroll publicly goes after MJ for announcing his leaving in Away Days, the video gets leaked here on the forum? Just saying I bet someone at Crailtap got the homie link .....

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2016, 01:54:35 AM »
Expand Quote
he's off the team page:

[close]

you must be kidding.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2016, 02:02:05 AM »
Who cares, MJ and Daewon are over the hill. Like Manchester United trying to buy Ibrahimovic, clawing a bit of dying talent and credibility to an otherwise boring mega corp, let em cash out I say. Also Marc Johnson being dumb as a post is no surprise either I don't think he's the skate prophet some profess him to be.

MJ's been one of my favorites for a very, very long time, but dude has def gotten caught up in some stupid shit over the years. I remember some weird conspiracy theory shit at one point, and don't even get me started on his sense of humor (mostly via The Back Forty) over the past year or two...

IHOP

« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2016, 02:18:35 AM »
For the Karsten part of the interview, here is a mega rough translation from this article: http://www.playboard.no/karsten-kleppan-har-fatt-ny-skosponsor
Q: Why did you change from Lakai to Nike SB?
A: Bla bla it'sstupid to change sponsor when you're supposed to film a Lakai part, but the communication with the Lakai USA dudes wasn't on point and I wasn't really satisfied with that and bummed because of it. They put me on the AM team and all of that, but when Nike came with the offer they did I just couldn't say no. I've been skating for Lakai for a couple of years and sometimes you need a change.

I remember when he put out that Lakai part, and got on the team. He had no idea if he was officially on the EU team or the USA team. I have no idea how long it took for them to actually break a deal with him, but Mike Carroll posted a clip from his part way before he knew anything (that he was willing to share with friends anyway...).

I like Carroll, but he seems like ones of those guys that get really, really fucking pissed when someones changes from one of his sponsors.. I remember him even deleting the Karsten welcome clip off his Insta when Karsten left for Nike...

*as a note, this is how I remember it and not probably 100% accurate.

I could see that being the case, because he put a lot of time into these guys just to see them get bought out, thats valid.  That's too bad the communication wasnt good, im not saying Carroll was perfect, but deleting the karsten welcome clip when he quits for Nike a week later is 100% reasonable.

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2016, 02:55:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
he's off the team page:

[close]

[close]

you must be kidding.

Slap of sarcasm.

JUSTICE BEAVER

• Rep: 6
  • yes
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2016, 03:14:06 AM »
(P)lease (M)ake my day with the adidas link  ::)
Keenan Forever

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2016, 03:21:59 AM »
Aaaaand the YouTube link is down.

PM me for DL links...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2016, 03:33:31 AM »
Holy sssshit Carroll is a G! For those of who saying it was uncalled for.. Imagine spending months and months organizing for a product release just to have your rider instantly leave, leaving you with tons of product with a name printed on it of someone who doesn't even ride for you anymore, it's instantly obsolete.

Carroll handled that shit like a real boss, no respect has to be given after you've been fucked over. I'm going to buy crailtap product now.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1496
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2016, 03:51:46 AM »
If you consider anything Carroll said bullshit, then think about how any lie on his part would open crailtap up to a slander/defamation of character/wrongful termination lawsuit.

Any job I've ever had would fire me if I cut off communication or got caught lying to my boss like that.

I'm sure adidas will let him slide if silence and/or lies is his mode of communication...

spazz attack

• Rep: -15
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2016, 04:02:54 AM »
mj fishing goldfish upriver,please dont let him be misunderstood,what a kook.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Free Max B
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2016, 04:06:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ahahah man so funny. I really hope Carroll sees this.
[close]

So, who is going to post it on IG and tag Marc? Shit is too funny!

Also, I'm interested to see where he ends up board sponsorwis. Kookston and Guy's new project (if it ever happens)?
[close]

FREE MAX B

BMCsteve

« Reply #402 on: May 18, 2016, 04:26:48 AM »
It's odd that of all people this went right over Brink's head.  This entire thread has nothing to do with what is on their feet.  Why do you think people aren't bagging on Daewon?

Maybe Brink has something against Carroll/Crail?

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2016, 04:35:54 AM »
It's odd that of all people this went right over Brink's head.  This entire thread has nothing to do with what is on their feet.  Why do you think people aren't bagging on Daewon?

i think there are two possibilities, one he isn't talking about this thread/MC's Jenkem article and it is more about other online shit where both are getting heat, not sure if there is much of that, or alternatively he is a bit of an industry shill.

I mean if you read the article it is clear it wasn't about him leaving, according to that article MC basically suggested he do it, now if there is more to it and Brink knows he should either spill it or not make posts that appear to completely miss the point, who knows.

Fecal Fury

• 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #404 on: May 18, 2016, 04:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i think there are two possibilities, one he isn't talking about this thread/MC's Jenkem article and it is more about other online shit where both are getting heat, not sure if there is much of that, or alternatively he is a bit of an industry shill.

I mean if you read the article it is clear it wasn't about him leaving, according to that article MC basically suggested he do it, now if there is more to it and Brink knows he should either spill it or not make posts that appear to completely miss the point, who knows.

Anyone hating on Daewon for making this move is a complete fucking pleb.

Daewon has paid his dues 2 lifetimes over with his less than stellar sponsorship history, and has a squeaky clean history with the words that come out his mouth.

MJ on the other hand.... Meh

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #405 on: May 18, 2016, 05:04:48 AM »

Ride Channel article prediction:

Robert Brink speaks out on skate footwear and 90's pop punk
Brink 182
good come sausage

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #406 on: May 18, 2016, 05:13:46 AM »
I understand both sides here. Honestly Carroll has every right to feel betrayed and upset, however was Marc not also betrayed or put in a bad position? I think we can all agree that Marc would've liked to stay with Lakai but you can only take so many pay cuts without feeling taken advantage of or resentment. Marc has not slowed down not in the least, he had a 3 song part for fully flared at age 35 and the guy is almost 40 now and skating everyday, does he not deserve better? Sure he shouldn't have lied but of course this was out of his hands. Adidas obviously made a big invenstment in Marc and Daewon along with Away Days, not announcing them in this video would've been downright stupid and Adidas isn't stupid. I bet Marc was just too ashamed and embarrassed to let Mike down because they are/were friends and he just couldn't bring himself to do it. We've all had weak points if we are being honest with ourselves. Carroll for sure is upset and I get it but Crailtap has been bleeding riders for the last year BIG riders too and ones that have been around forever. Something is going on over there and it's easy to just feel sorry for Mike and Rick but this is the real world, adults have commitments and as I pointed out before for guys like Marc and Guy who haven't slowed down in the least bit why should their pay be decreased? Why should deals be made behind their backs? They've been loyal and have given these brands their all, do they not deserve more than that? Was Mike and Rick completely honest and open with Eric and Guy? I doubt it or things wouldn't have ended so abruptly.

I'm giving Marc a pass on this. Is it s shitty situation? Absolutely and I'm just Marc would agree. Is it harder to run a company with all these other brands moving in? Sure, but so is going out and skating every day at 30 let alone 40.

Fecal Fury

• 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #407 on: May 18, 2016, 05:21:45 AM »
I understand both sides here. Honestly Carroll has every right to feel betrayed and upset, however was Marc not also betrayed or put in a bad position? I think we can all agree that Marc would've liked to stay with Lakai but you can only take so many pay cuts without feeling taken advantage of or resentment. Marc has not slowed down not in the least, he had a 3 song part for fully flared at age 35 and the guy is almost 40 now and skating everyday, does he not deserve better? Sure he shouldn't have lied but of course this was out of his hands. Adidas obviously made a big invenstment in Marc and Daewon along with Away Days, not announcing them in this video would've been downright stupid and Adidas isn't stupid. I bet Marc was just too ashamed and embarrassed to let Mike down because they are/were friends and he just couldn't bring himself to do it. We've all had weak points if we are being honest with ourselves. Carroll for sure is upset and I get it but Crailtap has been bleeding riders for the last year BIG riders too and ones that have been around forever. Something is going on over there and it's easy to just feel sorry for Mike and Rick but this is the real world, adults have commitments and as I pointed out before for guys like Marc and Guy who haven't slowed down in the least bit why should their pay be decreased? Why should deals be made behind their backs? They've been loyal and have given these brands their all, do they not deserve more than that? Was Mike and Rick completely honest and open with Eric and Guy? I doubt it or things wouldn't have ended so abruptly.

I'm giving Marc a pass on this. Is it s shitty situation? Absolutely and I'm just Marc would agree. Is it harder to run a company with all these other brands moving in? Sure, but so is going out and skating every day at 30 let alone 40.

Reading comprehension is indeed through the floor today, let's clarify the collective opinion as it stands:

1. MJ moving to adidas is fine by most, even if he did talk shit in a Jenkem interview a few years ago. Carroll even supported that decision.
2. MJ failing to communicate with Mike Carroll and then outright lying to him the night before the announcement is a total dick move.

Point 2 is what everyone is throwing shade at MJ for, not the fact that he went to adidas...

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #408 on: May 18, 2016, 05:26:24 AM »
Does Anyone else find it a bit suspicious that the same day Carroll publicly goes after MJ for announcing his leaving in Away Days, the video gets leaked here on the forum? Just saying I bet someone at Crailtap got the homie link .....

Very likely considering once they saw Adidas has Busenitz skating to fucking SNOOP DOGG that crailtap knew the video would be a good weapon in this war. Almost ruined his part. Also that Blondie WANKA.  

"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #409 on: May 18, 2016, 05:32:49 AM »
Adidas probably spent more on music rights for this video than most brands do on their team/staffing.

Vid was long as all hell and could of been comfortably cut into two videos. That said, holy shit Lucas, Busenitz and Silas BN absolutely killed it!
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3361
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #410 on: May 18, 2016, 05:38:20 AM »
I'm up at 5 in the morning after a dream where I was reading this thread, which I think it's hilarious. I guess the notion that queers love drama really IS true.

kingpinuser

• Rep: 54
« Reply #411 on: May 18, 2016, 05:41:43 AM »

Adults do have commitments in both friendship and business. MJ it seems didn't respect the business side of things, the truth got out and now he looks like a kook who didnt have the respect to tell not just his friend but his boss what was really going on. That's poor ethics in my book. MJ is still one of the best skaters alive, him going to Adidas is all good as well, cash them checks while you still can, but he is kinda a coward and brought this on himself. If he would have sorted out his lakai contact or even got the people at Adidas to contact Mike then none of this would have happened...the lack of respecting commitments to business brought this on.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:45:33 AM by kingpinuser »

masturskater

• Rep: 20
« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2016, 06:04:21 AM »
http://theskateboardmag.com/earned-stripes-daewon-song-and-marc-johnson-join-adidas-skateboarding/

Skateboard mag article behind Daewon and Marc's reasoning for joining adidas
Huge cringe at the beyond shameless plug in the closing statement.

"Before passing judgment on anyone's decisions, maybe you should try walking a mile in their shoes. (adidas hyperlink)"

For those that don't get why Marc is getting more heat over Daewon, it's not that difficult to understand. Daewon put a lot of time and effort into DVS. Probably more than the owners. Does anyone know who runs shit over there anymore? I don't think anyone cares about the owners of DVS. No offense to their riders.

Lakai definitely isn't the same as when they started either, but Rick and Mike have obviously done a lot to back their guys as long as possible. Marc definitely gave a lot of himself to both Chocolate and Lakai. Rick and Mike gave him a home at Chocolate when he was stressing over board companies. They supported him in getting sober. They both supported each other for a long ass time. To depart from that relationship should be done gracefully and with respect to each party, if it meant anything to either of them. Sounds like it meant something to Mike. Sounds like MJ cared more about himself.

Sad to see it end that way. Puts a bit of a tarnish on MJ's reputation. And Crailtap takes another hit.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2016, 06:11:26 AM »
realest interview in recent memory.

Jenkem CLEARLY leaning against predetorial practices by big shoes being savage, but has their entire site wrapped in adidas ads/branding and their post on 5/3 was an MJ mix.

conflict of interest, conflict of taste.

no, just different shit-different day
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2016, 06:21:09 AM »
busenitz, SBN, and Suciu were my favourite parts.

also, my sig.

This one got leaked a while back. Remember there was that clip of some news report and Silas was in the background filming this line...
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2016, 06:22:33 AM »
http://theskateboardmag.com/earned-stripes-daewon-song-and-marc-johnson-join-adidas-skateboarding/

this does hint at the same issues that brink has been hinting at but the issue is that its just hinting at it.  don't tell me to do any digging because MC didn't. he came out and said his side outright and gave supporting examples. its just like with 'ether' or 'hit em up.' don't hint, don't beat around the bush, don't leave it to conjecture- if you have something to say, say it. I understand brink not wanting to come out and say anything because its not really his place to say it (although i would love to see him just go all out).  MJ has never been afraid to go all out so why stop now.  
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2016, 06:23:05 AM »
What mj did is awful.  Girl and chocolate may have been loyal to a fault, but I'll take loyalty over self centered greed any day!

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2016, 06:25:24 AM »
Away Days was kind of a snoozer. I don't know, maybe it was the saturation of the rip, but it was just... boring. Sucks too, because I haven't been this pumped for a video for ages.

Also, Marc Johnson seems like an awful person to work with.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #418 on: May 18, 2016, 06:28:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this does hint at the same issues that brink has been hinting at but the issue is that its just hinting at it.  don't tell me to do any digging because MC didn't. he came out and said his side outright and gave supporting examples. its just like with 'ether' or 'hit em up.' don't hint, don't beat around the bush, don't leave it to conjecture- if you have something to say, say it. I understand brink not wanting to come out and say anything because its not really his place to say it (although i would love to see him just go all out).  MJ has never been afraid to go all out so why stop now.  

Everyone is going to pick sides on this debacle, but when it comes to "winning" the fight, Carroll is in the lead. Quick to react, AND providing examples.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 508
« Reply #419 on: May 18, 2016, 06:32:08 AM »

I can see Carroll's Interview as an Intervention.