Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 401477 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #420 on: May 18, 2016, 06:34:55 AM »
What I think the big shoe companies are missing is that all of these dudes who are pushing or over 40 sell shoes based on their reputation and legacy to guys who are over 30. 

Once you lose that respect, the guys over 30 stop supporting you and nobody in their teens and early twenties give a fuck what MJ did when they were in elementary school.

andocom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #421 on: May 18, 2016, 06:36:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
http://theskateboardmag.com/earned-stripes-daewon-song-and-marc-johnson-join-adidas-skateboarding/

Skateboard mag article behind Daewon and Marc's reasoning for joining adidas
[close]

this does hint at the same issues that brink has been hinting at but the issue is that its just hinting at it. �don't tell me to do any digging because MC didn't. he came out and said his side outright and gave supporting examples. its just like with 'ether' or 'hit em up.' don't hint, don't beat around the bush, don't leave it to conjecture- if you have something to say, say it. I understand brink not wanting to come out and say anything because its not really his place to say it (although i would love to see him just go all out). �MJ has never been afraid to go all out so why stop now. �
[close]

Everyone is going to pick sides on this debacle, but when it comes to "winning" the fight, Carroll is in the lead. Quick to react, AND providing examples.

Hope MC waits 4 days and if he doesn't hear anything drops another.

back2back

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #422 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »
What I think the big shoe companies are missing is that all of these dudes who are pushing or over 40 sell shoes based on their reputation and legacy to guys who are over 30. 

Once you lose that respect, the guys over 30 stop supporting you and nobody in their teens and early twenties give a fuck what MJ did when they were in elementary school.

This is a great point. I wonder what the average age of the posters in this thread is.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #423 on: May 18, 2016, 06:47:11 AM »
Adidas probably spent more on music rights for this video than most brands do on their team/staffing.

I think it was the complete opposite.  sounded like most were taken from the music licensing discount bin.  

hopefully quartersnacks does another Busenitz re-edit.  the skating deserved better.  
hardly art, hardly starving

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #424 on: May 18, 2016, 06:53:47 AM »
Two things:

(1) Is Brink really backing MJ on this? It's fine to support him skating for Big Company Footwear (MJs words). I dont think many people are complaining about that. In fact, Mike Carroll himself supported him moving on.  The real problem is that he fucked over Mike Carroll and Lakai, who supported him through his problems and basically gave him his cool card in skating. I dont think people realize how important getting on Chocolate (and Lakai) was to legitimating Marc. If he had say ridden for a dwindle company and Etnies, he would have not gotten the same acclaim. Carroll's story seems pretty clear, and the fact that he has never once aired out a team rider who quit (pops, olson, puig, koston, prod, jereme, guy, mikemo, biebel, cairo etc.) tells you that this was some backstabbing.  Carroll's credibility in skateboarding is more than just his talent, MJs aint.

(2) My god. The reading comprehension here. People keep saying 'man, I get MJs side, I mean he needs the extra cash.' Did you read the interview? Carroll supported the decision. He asked that, after they just gave him a shoe and supported his insanity for 15 years, that he hold off four a few months so they could move his shoe and help keep Lakai in a good spot. If Marc wanted to quit, he shouldnt have supported rolling out a new shoe. And Carroll was open to less than that; all he wanted was for MJ to be straight up - tell the fucking truth. Dude lied to him and had his departure announced at a video premier. If people cant understand the business side of losing your number 1 pro who has a bunch of product in waiting maybe some business skills are needed. But if you cant understand the lies, well, thats on you.

Finally, and this is pure speculation. But Marc Johnson is a delusional, egotistical, narcissist. The kind that rants and raves about Big Shoe Company only to ride from them. The type that misquotes a lot of literature and science and spouts inane theories to sound bright. When Carroll called him a pathological liar and said (via insta) they wouldnt have to deal with his disappearing anymore; it's my guess that theyve been putting up with his shady shit for years. Good on Carroll for saying fuck you. If you're gonna burn a bridge dont expect people to be quiet. Skateboarding needs more open talk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:57:01 AM by labor »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #425 on: May 18, 2016, 06:59:06 AM »
Can't wait to see all the forward thinking initiatives that MJ will be implementing as a rookie employee of a $20 billion dollar corporation that he couldn't get done at his friends' company!!!

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -625
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #426 on: May 18, 2016, 06:59:18 AM »
I thought it was pretty well established that MJ is a piece of shit off the board, Especially with relationships.  Blowing off his kids birthday so he can be on a bender.  Absentee father, constant complainer, difficult.  None of this is surprising.

He's one of my all time favorites on the board though.  Carroll is an all time GOAT on and off the stuntwood.
where is home?

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #427 on: May 18, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »
Anyone hating on Daewon for making this move is a complete fucking pleb. Daewon has paid his dues 2 lifetimes over with his less than stellar sponsorship history, and has a squeaky clean history with the words that come out his mouth.

I could think of a more descriptive word but pleb will do just fine. If you are hating on Daewon for this move you're an idiot, that also hates skateboarding. This guy has given everything for multiple decades, and stayed in a relationship (DVS) through the good times and the really bad times. Going even FURTHER back than that, he could've bounced from World when everyone else is did but stayed loyal to Rodney through thick and thin. Go back and read Daewon's Chromeball. http://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2013/07/chrome-ball-interview-59-daewon-song.html

The point is this guy deserves EVERYTHING that skateboarding can give him. You're an absolute clueless asshole if you are hating on him for the move to Adidas, and enjoying the fruits of multiple decades worth of relevant work. And whoever the dope was that said he's "washed up", well something so stupid doesn't even deserved to be acknowledged but I'm sure you'll be as big of a success in whatever your chosen field is for multiple decades as Dae has been in skateboarding.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:11:22 AM by heritage »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #428 on: May 18, 2016, 07:04:26 AM »

Finally, and this is pure speculationfact. But Marc Johnson is a delusional, egotistical, narcissist. The kind that rants and raves about Big Shoe Company only to ride from them. The type that misquotes a lot of literature and science and spouts inane theories to sound bright. When Carroll called him a pathological liar and said (via insta) they wouldnt have to deal with his disappearing anymore; it's my guess that theyve been putting up with his shady shit for years. Good on Carroll for saying fuck you. If you're gonna burn a bridge dont expect people to be quiet. Skateboarding needs more open talk

fixed that for you.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #429 on: May 18, 2016, 07:06:09 AM »
Is there a possibility that Marc's new contract stated that his move to Adidas would be announced in Away Days and that he wasn't allowed to tell anyone about it under any circumstances? Maybe if it'd got out via a pre-emptive Crailtap post (or even in an interview with Carroll after the premiere), he might've really pissed off his new sponsor and faced some heavy repercussions?

I don't wanna make excuses for the dude because, regardless, there has to have been a better way to handle the situation than this. He seems like hard fucking work sometimes.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

asakusa75

« Reply #430 on: May 18, 2016, 07:19:04 AM »
Is there a possibility that Marc's new contract stated that his move to Adidas would be announced in Away Days and that he wasn't allowed to tell anyone about it under any circumstances? Maybe if it'd got out via a pre-emptive Crailtap post (or even in an interview with Carroll after the premiere), he might've really pissed off his new sponsor and faced some heavy repercussions?

I don't wanna make excuses for the dude because, regardless, there has to have been a better way to handle the situation than this. He seems like hard fucking work sometimes.

Nah... pretty sure he's just a dickhead.

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
« Reply #431 on: May 18, 2016, 07:34:06 AM »
Away Days was kind of a snoozer. I don't know, maybe it was the saturation of the rip, but it was just... boring. Sucks too, because I haven't been this pumped for a video for ages.
MJ problems aside, the video was amazing, idk what you're talking about. Puig, Suciu, Nak/Jake, Tyshawn, Palace section... there's very few skippable moments in there. Maybe just some of the euros and ams but even those are still heavy.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2016, 07:35:06 AM »
How wouldn't Marc know they were gonna introduce him in the video? If a company is filming a video and you go out and film tricks with them what do you think is gonna happen?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #433 on: May 18, 2016, 07:40:18 AM »
Expand Quote
I understand both sides here. Honestly Carroll has every right to feel betrayed and upset, however was Marc not also betrayed or put in a bad position? I think we can all agree that Marc would've liked to stay with Lakai but you can only take so many pay cuts without feeling taken advantage of or resentment. Marc has not slowed down not in the least, he had a 3 song part for fully flared at age 35 and the guy is almost 40 now and skating everyday, does he not deserve better? Sure he shouldn't have lied but of course this was out of his hands. Adidas obviously made a big invenstment in Marc and Daewon along with Away Days, not announcing them in this video would've been downright stupid and Adidas isn't stupid. I bet Marc was just too ashamed and embarrassed to let Mike down because they are/were friends and he just couldn't bring himself to do it. We've all had weak points if we are being honest with ourselves. Carroll for sure is upset and I get it but Crailtap has been bleeding riders for the last year BIG riders too and ones that have been around forever. Something is going on over there and it's easy to just feel sorry for Mike and Rick but this is the real world, adults have commitments and as I pointed out before for guys like Marc and Guy who haven't slowed down in the least bit why should their pay be decreased? Why should deals be made behind their backs? They've been loyal and have given these brands their all, do they not deserve more than that? Was Mike and Rick completely honest and open with Eric and Guy? I doubt it or things wouldn't have ended so abruptly.

I'm giving Marc a pass on this. Is it s shitty situation? Absolutely and I'm just Marc would agree. Is it harder to run a company with all these other brands moving in? Sure, but so is going out and skating every day at 30 let alone 40.

[close]

Reading comprehension is indeed through the floor today, let's clarify the collective opinion as it stands:

1. MJ moving to adidas is fine by most, even if he did talk shit in a Jenkem interview a few years ago. Carroll even supported that decision.
2. MJ failing to communicate with Mike Carroll and then outright lying to him the night before the announcement is a total dick move.

Point 2 is what everyone is throwing shade at MJ for, not the fact that he went to adidas...
half of part one and all of part two are my reasons for having a sour opinion on the mj move.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #434 on: May 18, 2016, 07:46:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Adidas probably spent more on music rights for this video than most brands do on their team/staffing.
[close]

I think it was the complete opposite. � sounded like most were taken from the music licensing discount bin. � 

hopefully quartersnacks does another Busenitz re-edit. � the skating deserved better. � 

Bowie and Nany Sinatra are both pretty expensive. I'd imagine Pet Shop Boys are too, which is why you haven't heard them in as many things as you'd expect. I don't remember much of the rest of the soundtrack but I know for sure Sinatra and Bowie aren't cheap.

Charbroil

« Reply #435 on: May 18, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
Bill really fucked those 2 bump to bar tricks Tyshawn did with the super close filming.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #436 on: May 18, 2016, 07:51:36 AM »

Maybe? But I would really doubt that's the case seeing as how it wouldn't behoove Adidas to do that if Marc is still under contract with a different company and has a termination contract pending. I could see them having the stipulation of not doing a general/public release but it wouldn't make sense to put themselves in that situation regarding possible breach of contract with Lakai. Unless their legal team just doesn't care.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #437 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
what i think is weird is why lakai would still be producing MJ pro shoes when they knew that he would be leaving in the very near future? it makes no sense to give a guy another pro shoe and have it drop in the spring if they planned on him leaving in the summer.

overall, im bummed on MJ's lying and lack of communication. hes been my favorite skater basically forever.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
« Reply #438 on: May 18, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was the complete opposite. � sounded like most were taken from the music licensing discount bin. � 

hopefully quartersnacks does another Busenitz re-edit. � the skating deserved better. � 
[close]

Bowie and Nany Sinatra are both pretty expensive. I'd imagine Pet Shop Boys are too, which is why you haven't heard them in as many things as you'd expect. I don't remember much of the rest of the soundtrack but I know for sure Sinatra and Bowie aren't cheap.

if that's the case.  pet shop boys and Sinatra were worth the $$$. 
hardly art, hardly starving

FAT

• Rep: -20
« Reply #439 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:02 AM »

I'm late to the party, but you sir, are a literal artist.

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #440 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:04 AM »
what i think is weird is why lakai would still be producing MJ pro shoes when they knew that he would be leaving in the very near future? it makes no sense to give a guy another pro shoe and have it drop in the spring if they planned on him leaving in the summer.

overall, im bummed on MJ's lying and lack of communication. hes been my favorite skater basically forever.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #441 on: May 18, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »
the impression i get is that mc & lakai didn't have any idea until very recently (days, weeks), whereas the mj shoe planning would have happened earlier this year or even late last year.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #442 on: May 18, 2016, 08:15:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was the complete opposite. �� sounded like most were taken from the music licensing discount bin. �� 

hopefully quartersnacks does another Busenitz re-edit. �� the skating deserved better. �� 
[close]

[close]

if that's the case.  pet shop boys and Sinatra were worth the $$$. 

Lucas' part was worth every penny.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #443 on: May 18, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »
Reiterating some points here but holy shit that TSM article was just awful. No byline? No shit, it was probably written by some computer program at adidas that just spits pr things like that out. Or Steve Berra.

Also, this

What I think the big shoe companies are missing is that all of these dudes who are pushing or over 40 sell shoes based on their reputation and legacy to guys who are over 30.�

Not sure how much weight we can actually carry but it's an interesting thought. I haven't bought lakais in awhile but I see some Staples in my near future.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #444 on: May 18, 2016, 08:19:50 AM »

Brands put together line sheets 2 seasons ahead to pre shop what retailers want to buy, booking just ended for holiday 16 last week actually.
MJ does have one of Lakai's best selling models as well, so I don't blame them for trying to stretch that out as well.
In reality they could prob switch the branding and box details and change the name of the shoe to something witty.
Sellout low and high?

kenneth

• Rep: -33
« Reply #445 on: May 18, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »
The way people reacts to the MC interview reminds me of the whole Tas Pappas movie debacle. People started swinging wildy then and it turned out there wasn't much substance to what Tas were claiming. I'm not saying that MC is an delusional aussie but there might be more to this than we know.

Anyway. MC should be happy. Haven't heard anyone talking about buying Lakai's since Fully Flared. The free marketing they get out of this is huge. It also seems to strengthen their image as a core brand. Almost as if it was planned.
I'd rather watch Bill Danforth push...

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #446 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »
Finally, and this is pure speculation. But Marc Johnson is a delusional, egotistical, narcissist. The kind that rants and raves about Big Shoe Company only to ride from them. The type that misquotes a lot of literature and science and spouts inane theories to sound bright. When Carroll called him a pathological liar and said (via insta) they wouldnt have to deal with his disappearing anymore; it's my guess that theyve been putting up with his shady shit for years. Good on Carroll for saying fuck you. If you're gonna burn a bridge dont expect people to be quiet. Skateboarding needs more open talk
I thought it was pretty well established that MJ is a piece of shit off the board, Especially with relationships.  Blowing off his kids birthday so he can be on a bender.  Absentee father, constant complainer, difficult.  None of this is surprising.

He's one of my all time favorites on the board though.  Carroll is an all time GOAT on and off the stuntwood.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #447 on: May 18, 2016, 08:28:35 AM »
In reality they could prob switch the branding and box details and change the name of the shoe to something witty.
Sellout low and high?

The Pathological?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:30:12 AM by CRAILFISH TO REVERT »

eastcoaster

• Rep: -41
« Reply #448 on: May 18, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN YOU WALK INTO YOUR LOCAL "SKATE-SHOP" IN 2-5 YEARS. AND SEE NOTHING BUT BOARDS WITH EITHER A BIG SWOOSH ON THEM OR 3 STRIPES.

Seriously I think it's gonna happen. Once they kill of all these brands they will be able to produce boards at a cheaper price for the same quality any board company ever could but with much larger quantities and less cost. All pro's will have an apparel, shoe, and deck deal with the same sport brand. Large paychecks for pro's but no diversity. Gonna be weirddddd.

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #449 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:01 AM »
Can't wait to see all the forward thinking initiatives that MJ will be implementing as a rookie employee of a $20 billion dollar corporation that he couldn't get done at his friends' company!!!

Exactly.  MJ has always been a favorite of mine since Maple but he hasn't had a good idea in his head since he left Enjoi.  Him acting like this was some kind of creative difference only validates MC's position that he's a liar.  

Of course it was about the money, any adult would understand that and there's nothing wrong with it.  All these older legends deserve to have a piece before they're done.  Just don't be a fucking kook about it Marc!