Author Topic: Girl Deck Shapes  (Read 87184 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Girl Deck Shapes
« Reply #600 on: November 30, 2023, 04:30:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What shapes have the mellowest nose/tail kicks? Or are they all about the same? Currently riding the g052 and feels quite steep compared to a clutch deck I just skated.
[close]

I was on the 052/027 for almost a year and a half. They both feel flat to me. I can't say all crail shapes feel flat. I've only skated the above mentioned and i'm skating the 008 right now. I feel the opposite. Just skated a clutch freedome board. A tad more steepness. Just enough for me to notice. Especially on the nose.
[close]

Word. The Toy Machine clutch deck I just rode had a mellow nose/tail. Measured them with a digital angel gauge. TM was around 19 degrees, Girl board was about 2 degrees more on both ends. I like flatter kick boards; ie Baker or DOA FAF. But I also like the straight rails on Crail boards. May check out April boards based on mentions in this thread.

some of the best boards i’ve ever had have been toy machine boards, but that was long long ago. because they source from so many different options, i haven’t been interested in ordering online.
i think im just not into ordering decks on line at all.

relevant to the thread, if you like crail boards, they seem very consistent

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #601 on: December 01, 2023, 07:40:14 AM »
No G023 in the latest drop it seems :(

Hope it doesn’t go the way of the G028 because I really liked both shapes.

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #602 on: December 01, 2023, 08:13:10 AM »

the G028 was the best. Then they changed it from 31.3 to 31.5 and it sucked.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #603 on: December 01, 2023, 08:30:50 AM »
Knew nothing about girl shapes and got a 8.3 g016 on sale last year with the awful tail. Is there a 8.25 shape that I should similarly avoid? Thinking about sizing down and looking at options.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #604 on: December 01, 2023, 08:34:39 AM »
Well ... I saw a new G069 came out and couldn't resist ... even though it was a pop secret and cost me $95.  Oof.  I am excited to see if single pressed makes a difference though and even though I wasn't excited on cost, I am excited on the shape and to see if that tech makes any difference at all.

G069 are great, i skate them interchangeably with G027s depending on what's available.

As a flatground skater I find the G069s last quite a bit longer because you're wearing the nose and tail a lot more evenly..it's also pretty handy not having to worry about board direction when doing fakie tricks etc.

baustin

« Reply #605 on: December 01, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Well ... I saw a new G069 came out and couldn't resist ... even though it was a pop secret and cost me $95.  Oof.  I am excited to see if single pressed makes a difference though and even though I wasn't excited on cost, I am excited on the shape and to see if that tech makes any difference at all.
[close]

G069 are great, i skate them interchangeably with G027s depending on what's available.

As a flatground skater I find the G069s last quite a bit longer because you're wearing the nose and tail a lot more evenly..it's also pretty handy not having to worry about board direction when doing fakie tricks etc.

Does the orientation of your trucks not bother you skating the board in varying directions? For me once my trucks are broken in, skating my board backwards purposely completely messes with my muscle memory and feels like driving a car that needs an alignment

wax poetic

• Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #606 on: December 01, 2023, 09:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Does the orientation of your trucks not bother you skating the board in varying directions? For me once my trucks are broken in, skating my board backwards purposely completely messes with my muscle memory and feels like driving a car that needs an alignment

That won't happen as much if it's a fully new setup and you skate your trucks the same tightness.  Then there is literally no difference unless you cut your grip asymetrical or have different colored bolts.  If your trucks are different or already have grooves I may mess with you a bit but still having a huge nose and tail is awesome either way

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #607 on: December 01, 2023, 01:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The old G028 shape was my favorite in that size. I also really liked the G025 (Brian Anderson) shape for a bigger all terrain setup. I've always loved Girl, but there aren't many shapes in the current lineup that I really dig. The G052 shape looks pretty good, but with such a long tail, I feel like it would feel crazy on Indy's. Has anyone tried that combo?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #608 on: December 01, 2023, 03:06:35 PM »
Knew nothing about girl shapes and got a 8.3 g016 on sale last year with the awful tail. Is there a 8.25 shape that I should similarly avoid? Thinking about sizing down and looking at options.
Pretty much all 8.25 and below Crailtap shapes are skateable. Like really skateable

lildonut92

• Rep: 10
« Reply #609 on: December 01, 2023, 04:20:17 PM »
It sucks they don’t have that super short 8.1 shape anymore. I would run the hell out of that. I used to talk mad shit on their boards but the new ones are good. Some shapes have steeper kicks than others it seems.

I’m very tempted to try the g045. I haven’t been able to see one in person so I’m hesitant.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #610 on: December 01, 2023, 11:34:41 PM »
I feel you, got a g016 months ago and it was the worst shape I've ever skated.
Regarding 8.25 I've only skated g052 and 069 and both were fantastic
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

wax poetic

« Reply #611 on: December 04, 2023, 11:27:05 AM »
Just got the G069 pop secret board.  Won't have a chance to skate it until next weekend but shit is heavy but feels super solid.  I'll check back in after I skate it.  As already noted the G069 shape is sick.  I also like knowing that these are individually pressed so everytime you get one it should be identical.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #612 on: December 08, 2023, 03:00:02 AM »
Currently considering the GO 33 or 59, and wondered if anyone had skated them recently and if the kicks were mellow. Current deck is an old shop one with a 19 degree kick which is very nice.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #613 on: December 08, 2023, 08:42:56 AM »

I hope it's not going away. Skating one now and dig it.

I want to try the G026 too. I haven't seen that one in person yet.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #614 on: December 21, 2023, 03:11:14 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone else noticed that their decks went up in price? The Hello Kitty decks are $80 on their site, and $58 on Tactics. All the other prices seem higher too. It’s like they don’t want you to buy directly from them lol

wax poetic

« Reply #615 on: December 21, 2023, 03:48:46 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone else noticed that their decks went up in price? The Hello Kitty decks are $80 on their site, and $58 on Tactics. All the other prices seem higher too. It’s like they don’t want you to buy directly from them lol

My 5 year old wanted one of the new hello kitty boards for Christmas so I paid full price to get the Breezy one for her, could have got the Carroll from SPOT for 30% off but it wouldn't have made it in time plus she likes girl skaters so I thought it would be cooler if she supported one and we sat and watched some of her footy together.  Most of the time I try to wait for the box deals and get 2 for cheap if it's for me.  But prices seem crazy to me in general because I didn't skate for a while ... I was like when did they stop being $50

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #616 on: December 21, 2023, 03:55:21 PM »

Baker does that too and I really believe that it is because they don’t want you to buy from them but rather skate shops.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #617 on: December 21, 2023, 04:07:09 PM »
Limo and Quasi are also more expensive on their site. I guess the thinking is that if you're going to mail order then paying $5 more to the brand and 100% going directly to them as opposed to a small pass through from a web store or conglomerate might be a better form of support.

The thing is that Crail isn't a small brand run by a few people like Limo.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 357
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #618 on: December 22, 2023, 11:25:19 AM »
Looks like there's a new, wider shape for Brophy: the G068. Everything looks identical from the G056, they just bumped up the width from 8.6 to 8.8, though it hasn't been added to the shape guide yet
https://crailstore.com/collections/featured-decks/products/w46-d4-girl-brophy-dialog-deck

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #619 on: December 22, 2023, 03:27:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

The old G028 shape was my favorite in that size. I also really liked the G025 (Brian Anderson) shape for a bigger all terrain setup. I've always loved Girl, but there aren't many shapes in the current lineup that I really dig. The G052 shape looks pretty good, but with such a long tail, I feel like it would feel crazy on Indy's. Has anyone tried that combo?

I rode the G052 with Indy 144s for a month and can give you my personal opinions on that.

6.8 tail felt too long and pointy. 
14 wb felt too short.
nose felt okay, although a bit too round

What really drove me insane on that deck, was the taper towards the tail. The nose and middle of the deck was ~ 8.25" but the tail was only ~ 8". Every time I landed some kind of shove it move that tail was in the front and I feared to tweak my ankle if I step 5mm to the wrong side.

I gave this deck to my homie who is on 5.2 Ventures and he liked it.
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #620 on: December 22, 2023, 11:14:07 PM »
Looks like there's a new, wider shape for Brophy: the G068. Everything looks identical from the G056, they just bumped up the width from 8.6 to 8.8, though it hasn't been added to the shape guide yet
https://crailstore.com/collections/featured-decks/products/w46-d4-girl-brophy-dialog-deck
Ever understood the hype for Brophy, is like a boring Jake Hayes.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #621 on: December 23, 2023, 12:00:17 AM »
Currently considering the GO 33 or 59, and wondered if anyone had skated them recently and if the kicks were mellow. Current deck is an old shop one with a 19 degree kick which is very nice.
Late answer, but i have secondary board with G033 Capps City series deck. I would say kicks are more like medium than mellow. Really like the shape though with Indys.

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #622 on: January 02, 2024, 01:11:00 PM »
The G069 shape has been calling my name lately. Are the kicks on it the same steepness? I feel like I could skate a twin with mellow kicks, but if they're both like twin nose steep, that would be weird asf.

wax poetic

« Reply #623 on: January 02, 2024, 02:10:42 PM »
The G069 shape has been calling my name lately. Are the kicks on it the same steepness? I feel like I could skate a twin with mellow kicks, but if they're both like twin nose steep, that would be weird asf.

Well G069 is twin nose so ... but it's the best shape I've ever had. 

baustin

« Reply #624 on: January 02, 2024, 02:15:44 PM »

Skating one now, and it’s pretty great. I’m still favoring skating it in one direction because the graphic isn’t symmetrical, but the kicks truly feel like a hybrid of nose and tail and it’s nice to know if I accidentally throw my board down “backwards” it doesn’t matter. Since it’s a crail board, it’s pretty mellow in steepness and concave. I’m ready for them to drop this rumored 8” twin tip now…

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #625 on: January 02, 2024, 11:49:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here, I loved mine but with time kicks started to feel weird.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

wax poetic

« Reply #626 on: January 03, 2024, 07:42:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Same here, I loved mine but with time kicks started to feel weird.

I replaced my last one before it was soggy so I can't say I noticed that and my newest is a pop secret and I've heard those keep shape and stay firm forever so we'll see.  I may swap it out for a McCrank though if any are still available if I can't get used to the weight of this pop secret though.  It's great for cruising around and tranny but I can feel the weight big time when my weak ankles try to flip the board

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #627 on: January 03, 2024, 10:12:36 AM »
I bought a chocolate 7.875 with the G021 shape (31.25 lenght and 13.9 wheelbase), I can't wait to try it. I usually ride 8 and I wanted something smaller both in width and length but not too much, I think 7.8 is the right compromise for neither too small nor too wide. Especially for me who is small with my 5.7 ft and 8 shoes size haha But I remember loving the girl shape when I was riding 8.0. I think this g021 will be a real pleasure!

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #628 on: January 03, 2024, 02:16:10 PM »
I bought a chocolate 7.875 with the G021 shape (31.25 lenght and 13.9 wheelbase), I can't wait to try it. I usually ride 8 and I wanted something smaller both in width and length but not too much, I think 7.8 is the right compromise for neither too small nor too wide. Especially for me who is small with my 5.7 ft and 8 shoes size haha But I remember loving the girl shape when I was riding 8.0. I think this g021 will be a real pleasure!

I'm 6' and size 11 shoe and I love that g021 shape

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #629 on: January 12, 2024, 03:45:49 AM »
I see some g053 pop secrets on sale. Has anyone ever tried one? Are they like VX decks basically? I don't break decks, but they're actually cheaper than the standard ones. So I figure, why not grab 'em?