Author Topic: Brazil vs Twitter  (Read 430 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1139
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Brazil vs Twitter
« on: April 08, 2024, 05:15:04 PM »
Interesting case study, watching titanic forces duke it out while the rest of us plebs worry about whatever it is we are worrying about.  Sort of a foreshadowing of  what might be happening in the US soon.

I’m not an expert, just an onlooker, so please correct me where I’m wrong.  I come to the whole thing as “free speech = good, censorship = bad”.  Just a core belief I have.  And I really don’t particularly like anyone involved…

Anyways, an entrenched state, with all its codicils, whether you agree with it or not, demands twitter, X, essentially give them the ability to censor that which its population sees.  So if you look at it by the book, this is a country exercising sovereignty. So in this way, it is good and right.  Right?

Musk has flatly refused, making him definitionally a rogue non-state actor.  This has created a sort of crisis in a managed democracy.  His money let him purchase something that is losing $, but obtaining him raw political and informational power.  Is this good or bad?  Idfk. 

What is going to happen when a non-American-empire-approved counterelite breaks from the plan?  It’s sort of a stress-test.

Will Brazil opt to ban twitter?  What will be the backlash, if any?  Again, I’m just a dummy blowing off a little mental steam.  It’s just fascinating watching such a huge wrench being thrown into the machine of elite opinion-making.  Obviously any hegemonic system is going to circle the wagons and protect its supply lines.  I think it’s probably too late for any sort of counterelite to make any sort of meaningful difference.  The leviathan is too firmly entrenched so I don’t think you guys have anything to worry about.  Most of this is above me, it’s just fascinating watching it play out.

So we have an autistic autocrat (potentially) able to subvert a carefully managed system of information, at the press of a button.  Very strange and sort of unprecedented.

I don’t think that Elon is some sort of savior, I don’t really like him to be honest.  He’s just a guy with a huge amount of power, especially with our elite class.  He happens to be on the side of free speech at the moment 🤷‍♂️.  I’m aware that if the winds blow another direction, the policy changes…. But I think it’s a show worth watching for those interested in the sort of overarching Machiavellian power politics of the day.

So what do you guys think?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
Re: Brazil vs Twitter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 04:08:01 AM »
I think the dude pretends to be autistic to excuse his poor behaviour. I also think he is not a proponent of free speech, given that he likes to ban his critics and tried to sue people for quantifying the rise in hateful tweets following his acquisition of the platform. I also think he looks like something that got scraped off Benicio de Toro’s butt. Other than that, I’m going to need a dictionary to decipher the rest of your post.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 06:05:56 AM »
This isn't censorship. Musk used the same speech in India. If a country does not want to collaborate with him (in this case Brazil does not want to give him lithium) he creates a narrative that he is being painted as the villain and defender of freedom of speech.

In India, for example, X (formerly Twitter) even took a stance against judicial decisions in the country, headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, from the far-right Bharatiya Janata Party, more than a decade ago. But he made a point of saying that he would accept each of them. There, Musk intends to invest US$3 billion in Tesla factories to slow the advance of its main competitor, the Chinese BYD, in the region.

In Brazil, however, the billionaire followed a different line. By buying Twitter and transforming it into X, Musk also bought a powerful political tool, which brings together world leaders, communicators and researchers from all over the world. Now, he is using this communicational power to destabilize the country and boost his own businesses.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 485
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 02:51:39 AM »
please correct me where I’m wrong

He happens to be on the side of free speech at the moment

This right here is where you went wrong
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 07:10:01 AM »
I love how we are whatever many months in and people still refuse to refer to it as x

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 08:46:54 AM »
I love that he tried to name what eventually became PayPal X as well and the second he was no longer involved they were like “someone change that fucking name it’s stupid”
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1139
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 06:00:56 PM »
Expand Quote
please correct me where I’m wrong
[close]

Expand Quote
He happens to be on the side of free speech at the moment
[close]

This right here is where you went wrong

On this instance he is.  There are numerous cases where he isn’t.  I’m fully aware this is a very imperfect person at the helm. I thought I made that clear with my post. He’s banned people for personal slights, which is ridiculous…

Explain to me why him sacrificing all of Brazil’s ad revenue to not censor dissident politicians is anti-free speech.  Even if it’s for some personal, nefarious purpose, wouldn’t that be a net gain?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 06:16:19 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.