Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 114978 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #780 on: November 26, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »

Managed to find a seller in China who has a load of Mystery Jimmy Carlin boards in 8.25. Thought about stocking on on those but the seller looks a little sketchy, they are selling fake Zero boards on the same listing which included to ZERO logo on the top ply and the black / red sticker over the mounting holes. Have my doubts on it's legitimacy, so I'll try 1 piece and see how that goes.

Given they were all from around 6 to 9 years ago, unless they were stored well or forgotten about, I would say the most plausible explanation is they are fake / copies.

I recall Buttfart said he has been fooled by the warning sticker on top before, which as you said would look like this:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #781 on: November 26, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Managed to find a seller in China who has a load of Mystery Jimmy Carlin boards in 8.25. Thought about stocking on on those but the seller looks a little sketchy, they are selling fake Zero boards on the same listing which included to ZERO logo on the top ply and the black / red sticker over the mounting holes. Have my doubts on it's legitimacy, so I'll try 1 piece and see how that goes.
[close]

Given they were all from around 6 to 9 years ago, unless they were stored well or forgotten about, I would say the most plausible explanation is they are fake / copies.

I recall Buttfart said he has been fooled by the warning sticker on top before, which as you said would look like this:

Definitely look suspicious, the Jamie Thomas Zero one is a giveaway there were a bunch of sellers hucking these before the Girl / Baker fake decks took off, so quality is probably worse than those boards.

https://imgur.com/a/fGFfidT

Thought about stocking up on that graphic but no point having loads of chipboard decks around.

That aside, need a review of a Politic 8 and 8.25. Concave, length and WB. Thought I would treat myself with some quality boards instead of riding boards with the shittiest graphics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #782 on: November 28, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »
has anyone skated a snack board recently? I know they're ps stix but I was curious if they have a more square shape ala a quasi

I have multiple boards on ice right now but I've been watching that snack video on repeat lately and was thinking I'd like to ride one.

They have at least two (maybe more?) shapes. One is a normal popsicle, one is more squared off like a quasi but a but steeper. They used to have an insanely square shape but I don't think they do it anymore.

Thanks!! Yeah looking for mellow, flat, heard pgi is. Thanks again!

PGI is really flat, like some of the flattest decks I've had. There's a few different shapes I've seen but they all seem to use the same (or very similar) flat mold. It's also pretty stiff and has a nice little snap to it when it's fresh. One thing to be aware of is that they tend to be on the short side and have 14"wb - not sure what you normally skate but the 8.25s I've had were all around 31.6 and the 8.38 was maybe slightly longer but not much. In addition to the companies listed here's a few others to check out if you're interested in trying one -

Blood Wizard - my favorite, has a fairly large nose (around 7") and good graphic selection.
Skate Mental - the one I had was almost a twin nose or something, I think around 6.75 on both ends. Didn't really like it.
Natural Koncepts - haven't skated one but bonestalone is gnarly
Godless - haven't skated one but might be a good one if you're into darker themed graphics

They do sog out after a bit but so does everything. I think they're resin glued, they have that kind of dull thump sound when you pop. Overall they're probably the best non-dwindle Chinese decks I've skated though.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
« Reply #783 on: November 28, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
Wholly shit are we in the weeds now...cant wait for a new year....

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #784 on: November 28, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Definitely look suspicious, the Jamie Thomas Zero one is a giveaway there were a bunch of sellers hucking these before the Girl / Baker fake decks took off, so quality is probably worse than those boards.

https://imgur.com/a/fGFfidT

Thought about stocking up on that graphic but no point having loads of chipboard decks around.

That aside, need a review of a Politic 8 and 8.25. Concave, length and WB. Thought I would treat myself with some quality boards instead of riding boards with the shittiest graphics.

Politic is SC standard mold, so deep concave and steep tail. At least some of the latest run are square shape, I have the hell below 8.25 and it's square but I'm not sure if all of them are or some are the normal popsicle. 8.25 will be 31.75 and 14.25 wb, and I think my DOA 8 was the same. If you're a fan of hockey/FA type decks its kind of in that vein but personally sc standard is usually borderline unskateable on any truck higher than 52mm due to the tail angle.

If you have any other questions about them hit up Damon @ library skate shop. He's one of the politic dudes and a gear nerd himself.

https://libraryskateshop.com/

https://instagram.com/libraryskateshop?igshid=wlhofezjtifl

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #785 on: November 29, 2020, 11:03:15 AM »
Expand Quote
has anyone skated a snack board recently? I know they're ps stix but I was curious if they have a more square shape ala a quasi

I have multiple boards on ice right now but I've been watching that snack video on repeat lately and was thinking I'd like to ride one.
[close]

They have at least two (maybe more?) shapes. One is a normal popsicle, one is more squared off like a quasi but a but steeper. They used to have an insanely square shape but I don't think they do it anymore.

Expand Quote

Thanks!! Yeah looking for mellow, flat, heard pgi is. Thanks again!
[close]

PGI is really flat, like some of the flattest decks I've had. There's a few different shapes I've seen but they all seem to use the same (or very similar) flat mold. It's also pretty stiff and has a nice little snap to it when it's fresh. One thing to be aware of is that they tend to be on the short side and have 14"wb - not sure what you normally skate but the 8.25s I've had were all around 31.6 and the 8.38 was maybe slightly longer but not much. In addition to the companies listed here's a few others to check out if you're interested in trying one -

Blood Wizard - my favorite, has a fairly large nose (around 7") and good graphic selection.
Skate Mental - the one I had was almost a twin nose or something, I think around 6.75 on both ends. Didn't really like it.
Natural Koncepts - haven't skated one but bonestalone is gnarly
Godless - haven't skated one but might be a good one if you're into darker themed graphics

They do sog out after a bit but so does everything. I think they're resin glued, they have that kind of dull thump sound when you pop. Overall they're probably the best non-dwindle Chinese decks I've skated though.

I really appreciate your consistent contributions to threads with equipment. Thanks.

As to what I’m trying to find....I’m all over, with no set parameters: board size, trucks brand/size, wheel size, shoes. All are open to change. Germaine to this topic I had an excellent girl board before the switch in woodshops, their 7.875, 5.2 lo’s....felt like home. I usually skate much better on lo’s, but get frustrated having to walk to the spot using 50’s. Anyways. Crail’s shapes are short, I’m short, and length might be a more important measurement for me to pay attention to.

Twist posted some pics of a deck from point distribution that looked excellently flat as well.

Flat boards die quickly, but the sad truth is I don’t skate a lot/or so vigorously, so I’d rather have a shape I like for the few weeks it’s good for, and then get another. I’ve whinged about this before, but I’d gladly skate late/mid 90’s world boards, these days, even tho I was much more apt to break those, sometimes first day out. But the feeling right out the gate was chef’s kiss.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #786 on: November 29, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote

Overall they're probably the best non-dwindle Chinese decks I've skated though.
[close]

I really appreciate your consistent contributions to threads with equipment. Thanks.

I cut the quotes down, but I definitely appreciate all the info too.

Always stoked on more information and I would think Mr Buttfart has an overall knowledge that is second to none on here.

(Not at all trying to kiss ass, just happy to have facts and info, especially given it is such a different market in the US to elsewhere and I am still certain I don't even know the half of it.)

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #787 on: November 29, 2020, 05:13:14 PM »
Can't remember exactly where I saw them but I'm pretty sure the new Doomsayers run is clutch, so add that to the list of "now using clutch" brands that seems to grow every day. Not sure what shape(s) they're on. This would be in line with something I heard about Gen/bbs dropping a bunch of smaller brands and making current accounts sign guarantees for a large # of decks in the coming year. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes harder and harder to find BBS decks that aren't from one of the big companys/distros.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #788 on: November 30, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
Just picked up a shop deck with this embossed on the top ply, any idea what the woodshop might be? My first thought was Clutch but I think they put the shape letter before the number and I don't see a P shape listed on their site or instagram. Pennswood maybe?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #789 on: November 30, 2020, 11:31:49 AM »
My AWS has a little "regrowth" stamp between the back truck holes. Does that mean, it is dwindle made? By the way, I am in Europe. I absolutely love this deck. Perfect shape and length for me.
IG: @flowterspace

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #790 on: November 30, 2020, 12:23:19 PM »
My AWS has a little "regrowth" stamp between the back truck holes. Does that mean, it is dwindle made? By the way, I am in Europe. I absolutely love this deck. Perfect shape and length for me.
it is dwindle.

https://dwindle.com/sustainability

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #791 on: November 30, 2020, 02:55:22 PM »
Just picked up a shop deck with this embossed on the top ply, any idea what the woodshop might be? My first thought was Clutch but I think they put the shape letter before the number and I don't see a P shape listed on their site or instagram. Pennswood maybe?

Is it a bigger / wider board?  I have a P8 which is the 8.5 version.

I believe people have said in the past this is Clutch / ASF, even if the letter and number are reversed.

P = tapered tail with round nose

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #792 on: November 30, 2020, 09:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it a bigger / wider board?  I have a P8 which is the 8.5 version.

I believe people have said in the past this is Clutch / ASF, even if the letter and number are reversed.

P = tapered tail with round nose

Okay this makes sense, it's an 8.75 which would match the 9 size on other shapes. Thanks!

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #793 on: December 03, 2020, 06:01:58 PM »
Anyone skated the K9 shape from clutch and happen to know the wheelbase? Overall thoughts skating it?

ballintoohard

« Reply #794 on: December 04, 2020, 03:23:37 PM »
What shapes are most similar to a Pass Port 8.25? In reality they measure 32 long not the stated 31.7 and have a 14.25 WB, 6.75 tail, 7 nose.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: December 04, 2020, 04:57:29 PM »
Anyone skated the K9 shape from clutch and happen to know the wheelbase? Overall thoughts skating it?

Maybe no one has, or someone will respond with better info, but I have a P8 which is 8.5 are 14.5 wheelbase (unless they have changed more recently) and overall the boards I had are a touch more in the concave department than BBS, which most people would have ridden at one time or another, which is to say they are medium concave with medium kicks.

If it is in a decent shop, you could ask them to measure it for you.  If you have a specific brand, put that up and people can check for that too.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 05:30:04 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #796 on: December 04, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »
What shapes are most similar to a Pass Port 8.25? In reality they measure 32 long not the stated 31.7 and have a 14.25 WB, 6.75 tail, 7 nose.

Passport is mellow BBS, so most BBS wood will be around the same, most likely Magenta, then Baker / Deathwish.

Most others on BBS have around the 14.25 wheelbase for 8.25 width decks from brands like Baker with maybe the same size, shape and concave, although their dimensions differ on some sites, as well as brands such as Element, Pizza, Alltimers, DGK and a few others all seem to have the same dimensions and they are on BBS.

DLX wood usually is 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wheelbase, which is minimally longer but often a bit steeper.

Some shops will have good info, others not so much, but it also depends what is in stock to show comparisons.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/shop/decks.html?actual_width1=1296&dir=asc&limit=132&order=name

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 05:33:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #797 on: December 04, 2020, 05:22:43 PM »
Of the boards I have the S7 8.375's are 14.25", the K7 8.25" is 14.375" and the P6 8.125" is 14.375". They all have similar shaped noses and tail lengths but the k has a slightly rounder tail and the p shape is like the s but is much more mellow and with a shorter nose/longer wheelbase. I was riding the S7 shape from 2016-2019 and wish I had known about the P shape earlier as I prefer more mellow kicks and concave these days. I think of it this way, clutch p shapes are like bbs mellow decks, the s shape is medium to medium/steep, and the k reminds me of antihero and real decks but maybe a touch more mellow.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #798 on: December 04, 2020, 08:06:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Of the boards I have the S7 8.375's are 14.25", the K7 8.25" is 14.375" and the P6 8.125" is 14.375". They all have similar shaped noses and tail lengths but the k has a slightly rounder tail and the p shape is like the s but is much more mellow and with a shorter nose/longer wheelbase. I was riding the S7 shape from 2016-2019 and wish I had known about the P shape earlier as I prefer more mellow kicks and concave these days. I think of it this way, clutch p shapes are like bbs mellow decks, the s shape is medium to medium/steep, and the k reminds me of antihero and real decks but maybe a touch more mellow.

Thanks for the details. How is/how did you like the nose/tail shape on the K? they look like a good mid ground between square and tapered. I personally like the O shape which is very square, but I’m curious.

Glurmpz

« Reply #799 on: December 05, 2020, 12:26:11 AM »
I just snapped the 3rd brand new board in a row this month - this time a Politic. Those are south central pressed and are generally beefier, and I'm not normally a board breaker to begin with... this is so strange. Last 2 before that were a Real and an Anti Hero. Both broke skating flatground. What really sticks out to me is how easily they all broke - I didn't land that hard on any of them. I'm usually the first guy to say it's my own damn fault for landing poorly, but something seems off. I think I must be getting fat. Lol.

Maybe everyone is skimping on glue during covid?  ;D I'm desperately trying to shift the blame away from me sucking and possibly getting fat. I'm gonna have to go 3rd world set up steeze and nail them back together with 2x4's. Shit is getting expensive.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #800 on: December 05, 2020, 12:28:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the details. How is/how did you like the nose/tail shape on the K? they look like a good mid ground between square and tapered. I personally like the O shape which is very square, but I’m curious.

The K is a nice rounded pop sickle shape. Not pointy but also not as stubby as the O shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #801 on: December 05, 2020, 12:55:10 AM »
I just snapped the 3rd brand new board in a row this month - this time a Politic. Those are south central pressed and are generally beefier, and I'm not normally a board breaker to begin with... this is so strange. Last 2 before that were a Real and an Anti Hero. Both broke skating flatground. What really sticks out to me is how easily they all broke - I didn't land that hard on any of them. I'm usually the first guy to say it's my own damn fault for landing poorly, but something seems off. I think I must be getting fat. Lol.

Maybe everyone is skimping on glue during covid?  ;D I'm desperately trying to shift the blame away from me sucking and possibly getting fat. I'm gonna have to go 3rd world set up steeze and nail them back together with 2x4's. Shit is getting expensive.

Where are you breaking them?  Through the bolts, taking off the tail / nose or middle / random places?

I know the pressure put on the deck through the truck can sometimes make a cut in the wood and weaken the board considerably, for which I had a solution - just scrape down the baseplate to round off the edge / use a grip offcut to finish it up.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
« Reply #802 on: December 05, 2020, 06:50:38 AM »
Could be going to Popeyes a few too many times.......

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #803 on: December 05, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
im just looking for info on the doa flat as fuck or emold
8.5 i think has a 14.5"wb or at least it feels like it.

they just dropped a limited line and no 8.5 flats, anyone know if another company runs this mold or who presses the decks?

or whats the next closest thing? last toy machine i had was mellowish

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #804 on: December 05, 2020, 06:28:21 PM »

they just dropped a limited line and no 8.5 flats, anyone know if another company runs this mold or who presses the decks?

Politic does e-mold sometimes, it is from south central. Hit up Damon at Library Skate Shop.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #805 on: December 06, 2020, 05:18:11 AM »

8.38 is 14.25wb, not sure about 8.5... Could be 14.5, I'll ask. South Central is still backed up on production. The stuff that just went up was originally supposed to come out in like September and be the "fall 20" release. Additionally, What was asked for isn't exactly what was delivered, but that's unfortunately not uncommon, especially right now with production problems plaguing seemingly everyone but clutch. I'm kind of annoyed by it because I was supposed to get a one-off square e-mold of the natas graphic in this run but it didn't show up. Im not surprised they missed or ignored it because it was legitimately the only square flat in the order, but still I was holding out hope that they'd come through. Been dying to try a square flat since the first day I skated one of the regular DOA squares. It is what it is though, I just got a new politic square and have a couple of DOA flats on the way so I've got plenty of SC wood to tide me over for the time being.

If anyone reading this is thinking about snagging a DOA definitely don't wait around, they're going to sell fast as fuck and there's a couple awesome graphics in this run. The new soft goods are killer too, DOA always makes cool shit.

Anyways, Toy Machine and Foundation are definitely a good substitute as far as flat boards go, and Toy does a lot of 14.5wb if that's what you're after. Blood wizard is another good one, I think the 8.5 popsicle is 31.8" length and 14.25 wb. The last 8.5 I skated was a blood wizard and I really liked it.

Politic does e-mold sometimes, it is from south central. Hit up Damon at Library Skate Shop.

Unfortunately Politic isn't doing flats anymore. The last one was the Pawns of Babylon. Damon said they don't sell (and the reason DOA sells their flats on the website is that shops apparently don't want them) so unfortunately despite the fact that we've got a lot of E mold lovers on here it's kind of a niche product. I say we start a grass roots "Make Politic Flat Again" campaign.

Interestingly, the E mold is apparently actually designed for big (like 9"+) vert and big tranny boards... It just so happened to be the flattest mold they had so DOA and politic started using it. I don't know if anyone else uses it but I've never seen anyone other than Politic and DOA.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #806 on: December 06, 2020, 06:29:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

8.38 is 14.25wb, not sure about 8.5... Could be 14.5, I'll ask. South Central is still backed up on production. The stuff that just went up was originally supposed to come out in like September and be the "fall 20" release. Additionally, What was asked for isn't exactly what was delivered, but that's unfortunately not uncommon, especially right now with production problems plaguing seemingly everyone but clutch. I'm kind of annoyed by it because I was supposed to get a one-off square e-mold of the natas graphic in this run but it didn't show up. Im not surprised they missed or ignored it because it was legitimately the only square flat in the order, but still I was holding out hope that they'd come through. Been dying to try a square flat since the first day I skated one of the regular DOA squares. It is what it is though, I just got a new politic square and have a couple of DOA flats on the way so I've got plenty of SC wood to tide me over for the time being.

If anyone reading this is thinking about snagging a DOA definitely don't wait around, they're going to sell fast as fuck and there's a couple awesome graphics in this run. The new soft goods are killer too, DOA always makes cool shit.

Anyways, Toy Machine and Foundation are definitely a good substitute as far as flat boards go, and Toy does a lot of 14.5wb if that's what you're after. Blood wizard is another good one, I think the 8.5 popsicle is 31.8" length and 14.25 wb. The last 8.5 I skated was a blood wizard and I really liked it.

Expand Quote

[close]

Unfortunately Politic isn't doing flats anymore. The last one was the Pawns of Babylon. Damon said they don't sell (and the reason DOA sells their flats on the website is that shops apparently don't want them) so unfortunately despite the fact that we've got a lot of E mold lovers on here it's kind of a niche product. I say we start a grass roots "Make Politic Flat Again" campaign.

Interestingly, the E mold is apparently actually designed for big (like 9"+) vert and big tranny boards... It just so happened to be the flattest mold they had so DOA and politic started using it. I don't know if anyone else uses it but I've never seen anyone other than Politic and DOA.

Thanks for the information about SC. I was going to get my second round of decks made made with them but it sounds like I should hold off until things stabilize a bit.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #807 on: December 06, 2020, 06:51:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Bummer about Politic not making flats. The 8.5" e-mold is def 14.5" WB.

WinterWarlock

• Rep: -4
« Reply #808 on: December 06, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #809 on: December 06, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the information about SC. I was going to get my second round of decks made made with them but it sounds like I should hold off until things stabilize a bit.

how easy/hard was it to deal with SC? i want to get decks from them, im up in canada so im not sure how easy it would be.