Author Topic: Jerry kicked of emerica  (Read 36581 times)

John Kreese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -22
Re: Jerry kicked of emerica
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »
Sole Tech is in pretty dire straights. Consider how many people have left / contracts ended in the past 3 years. Emerica could use a slight rebrand, they've ran the same program forever.

sms_b

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe Jerry isn't awesome to work with and didn't do his job? Generally, if your contract is breached you have legal standing to sue for loss of wages. However, if you breach your own contract you can be sued for not fulfilling your contractual obligations. You can also be dropped for "no reason".

As well, I know nothing about this situation and am running on full asshole assumption.
[close]

Did you listen to the interview? He talks about how his contract was based in an at will state. That means, and he's correct, that as long as emerica had a legal justification, they could let him go at any time. and they did

I was in and out of it cause I was working at the same time. Didn't catch that part. God damn. I guess he needed Terry Kennedy's negotiator.

tetanus xrist

• Rep: -18
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2018, 09:04:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe Jerry isn't awesome to work with and didn't do his job? Generally, if your contract is breached you have legal standing to sue for loss of wages. However, if you breach your own contract you can be sued for not fulfilling your contractual obligations. You can also be dropped for "no reason".

As well, I know nothing about this situation and am running on full asshole assumption.
[close]

Did you listen to the interview? He talks about how his contract was based in an at will state. That means, and he's correct, that as long as emerica had a legal justification, they could let him go at any time. and they did
[close]

I was in and out of it cause I was working at the same time. Didn't catch that part. God damn. I guess he needed Terry Kennedy's negotiator.

He refused to wear emerica hats, contract breached.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
Looks like he's putting in some serious work in art direction and originality into Sci Fi Fantasy in this add.

I don't know if it translates to tee shirt graphics yet, but he's just getting started.

that peacock near the end was beautiful

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2274
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2018, 09:12:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Looks like he's putting in some serious work in art direction and originality into Sci Fi Fantasy in this add.

I don't know if it translates to tee shirt graphics yet, but he's just getting started.
[close]

Yes, that whole video was good

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2018, 09:19:33 AM »
where can i watch wet hot emerican summer it's not on youtube

I watched it on youtube and even had it saved in a playlist. It is now deleted from the site and I can't imagine why. Shit's weird. Anyhay, some person got you:

them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

hey pickle

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
Wonder if this has anything to do with Kader leaving? Seemed weird that he left.

yeh its super weird that kader would go to a cooler company with a better team/legacy and more money

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
Emerica used to be my go to shoe and was always one of my favorite companies overall, but that has quickly subsided in the past year. When Jerry got off that was honestly the moment I realized that I don't really like Emerica that much anymore.

Shoe sponsor or not, he's still one of my favorite skaters and I would love to buy a Sci-Fi hat or something if they wouldn't sell out in 30 seconds.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
emerica just posted this also.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

shit_for_brains

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2018, 11:16:09 AM »
Expand Quote
emerica just posted this also.

[close]

Ok

They're in Japan and Jerry is Chinese so it's a big fuck you to him historically speaking

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
I'm gonna miss Emerica.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »

tetanus xrist

• Rep: -18
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »

MASTiF

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
that whole video looked like a NVIDIA graphics card tech demo from the late 2000's

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
2018 Jerry Hsu is strange.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
that whole video looked like a NVIDIA graphics card tech demo from the late 2000's

but the peacock!

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
(I know I’ll get hate for this opinion but whatever.) Love Jerry, but some of his points here are ridiculous and I don’t know if I blame Emerica honestly. “Oh they didn’t like how I don’t want to film video parts or really promote anything anymore” yeah no shit dude. What did he think he got paid for? To just sit around?  At the end of the day they’re a skateboarding COMPANY, and they’re in the business to make money, and if you’re sending this guy checks every month who is doing nothing to grow your brand, you’re going to consider cutting ties. When he talks about how they brought an outside source to audit, that probably is what happened. The person probably looked at their business model and asked them “why are you paying this guy thousands of dollars every year to do nothing?” And “oh he’s a legend” isn’t a very good reason when things are getting dicey.
Jerry IS a legend and for sure deserves mass amounts of respect, but I’ve never gotten this wack belief in skateboarding that companies are “fucked ” or in the wrong somehow when they cut guys who are contributing essentially nothing to their business other than purely their name.

• Rep: -3
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but him acting like Sci-Fi Fantasy is difficult to run is insane. The most simple logos, fonts, etc. Illustrator? What does illustrator have to do with putting a word in the middle of a shirt?
[close]

How easy is it to run your company?

Believe me, graphics, logos and fonts are probably 5% of having a company

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but him acting like Sci-Fi Fantasy is difficult to run is insane. The most simple logos, fonts, etc. Illustrator? What does illustrator have to do with putting a word in the middle of a shirt?
[close]

How easy is it to run your company?
[close]

Believe me, graphics, logos and fonts are probably 5% of having a company

Definitely. I mean it's probably all overwhelming for him considering he's never had to work a "real job" before. While it's pretty straight forward clothing at this point from a graphic design standpoint, he's doing everything else required to run a brand. Usually design is outsourced anyways. I'm sure his inbox is always full, and he's the one dealing with everything from manufacturing and orders, to all the shipping and invoicing. All while trying to learn how to do each and every one of those tasks. He even mentioned he didn't know how to create an invoice. He is a skateboarder after all, and the majority of them have a 9-10th grade education at best, so there's a lot of basic stuff he's missing out on.

I wish him the best with this company, and plan to pick some gear up. Seems like he's doing well considering I went into the shop today to buy some and most items we're solid out despite it only being in stock for a few days. 

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
Fuck that, Jerry is a legend. Can't believe people still get mad at skaters for taking corporate shoe checks at this point.

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
Damn with this, plus Westgate's Bunt interview from the other week, it seems like Emerica is about to go through the same shit Enjoi went through when Matt Eversole left. Westgate and Minor quit Emerica when the Brand Manager quit, feeling like something weird was happening with the brand, then Jerry gets let go shortly after by what I assume is the new Brand manager after they bring in an auditor to get a feel for the company.

Almost ironic since Jerry was in Westgate's position when the Enjoi switch happened.

I think it's safe to admit that Enjoi hasn't really been the same since that happened, for the worse IMO (barring turning Samarria pro). Hopefully the same decline doesn't start to happen with Emerica, but I could honestly see Reynolds actually switching to Adidas if Emerica doesn't get it's shit together, and that would absolutely put the nail in the coffin for Emerica.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »
(I know I’ll get hate for this opinion but whatever.) Love Jerry, but some of his points here are ridiculous and I don’t know if I blame Emerica honestly. “Oh they didn’t like how I don’t want to film video parts or really promote anything anymore” yeah no shit dude. What did he think he got paid for? To just sit around?  At the end of the day they’re a skateboarding COMPANY, and they’re in the business to make money, and if you’re sending this guy checks every month who is doing nothing to grow your brand, you’re going to consider cutting ties. When he talks about how they brought an outside source to audit, that probably is what happened. The person probably looked at their business model and asked them “why are you paying this guy thousands of dollars every year to do nothing?” And “oh he’s a legend” isn’t a very good reason when things are getting dicey.
Jerry IS a legend and for sure deserves mass amounts of respect, but I’ve never gotten this wack belief in skateboarding that companies are “fucked ” or in the wrong somehow when they cut guys who are contributing essentially nothing to their business other than purely their name.

You realize how stupid of an arguement that is? What does Michael Jordan do for your brands now? He doesn’t play basketball, he’s just a name. Nike would be fucking peanuts compared to what they are without his “name” and “presence”. Essentially u would imagine skateboarding companies would be inherently aware of it. Pontus some years ago talked about how every brand needs a legend to guide their image into the future with the modern landscape of skating.
Point and cases are:
FA-Dill,Ave,Gino- not that they don’t contribute heavily to their brand in a lot of ways, essentially at this point they are the names that guide the image.
Polar-Pontus
Baker-too many to name
Like the list is giant, and at the end of the day names sell products if they didn’t u wouldn’t give a fuck.
That’s why I fucking hate modern videos where they don’t at least have an introduction in some way for each rider, this ain’t like the good old days when they had way less companies and u could keep track of every team pretty fucking easily before the internet because it was always about the names, many companies these days just kind of have an image/aesthetic that most up and comers/no names just blend well together and that’s the “image” of the company, I think that’s why workshop mindfield /cinematographers era was amazing, not only did every rider fit the overall aesthetic, they also had unique individual aesthetics, you could say FA/Hockey are the best modern examples because u know everyone on their teams, and they all skate way different, I think genuinely the only video I ever enjoyed without names was cherry. That was genuinely nice, but those kids grew into their names as well.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »

vectors yo

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You realize how stupid of an arguement that is? What does Michael Jordan do for your brands now? He doesn’t play basketball, he’s just a name. Nike would be fucking peanuts compared to what they are without his “name” and “presence”. Essentially u would imagine skateboarding companies would be inherently aware of it. Pontus some years ago talked about how every brand needs a legend to guide their image into the future with the modern landscape of skating.
Point and cases are:
FA-Dill,Ave,Gino- not that they don’t contribute heavily to their brand in a lot of ways, essentially at this point they are the names that guide the image.
Polar-Pontus
Baker-too many to name
Like the list is giant, and at the end of the day names sell products if they didn’t u wouldn’t give a fuck.
That’s why I fucking hate modern videos where they don’t at least have an introduction in some way for each rider, this ain’t like the good old days when they had way less companies and u could keep track of every team pretty fucking easily before the internet because it was always about the names, many companies these days just kind of have an image/aesthetic that most up and comers/no names just blend well together and that’s the “image” of the company, I think that’s why workshop mindfield /cinematographers era was amazing, not only did every rider fit the overall aesthetic, they also had unique individual aesthetics, you could say FA/Hockey are the best modern examples because u know everyone on their teams, and they all skate way different, I think genuinely the only video I ever enjoyed without names was cherry. That was genuinely nice, but those kids grew into their names as well.

Yeah, and they still bring in revenue for their companies ya fool. Whoever did the audit for Emerica must have concluded via the raw sales numbers that the money Jerry brought in from his name alone did not financially justify the money they were paying him if he wasn’t going to do more. Also, no one else will be known as their “legend” as long as Reynolds is there.  People who grew up watching Jerry Hsu know how rad he is, but most younger kids probably feel indifferent or don’t know much about him because he’s done nothing recently, therefore his value in his name as a business asset has dropped massively in recent years. If anything thinks they let him go just to be “mean” they’re an idiot. They obviously had a reason. He wasn’t bringing in dollars, so they let him go. Simple as that. That’s business, and it doesn’t operate in the teenager fairy tale fantasy so many people live in where profits are irrelevant, and you keep people who don’t make you money because they’re “fuckin legends bro”
Nearly every one you mentioned still keeps themselves relevant somehow, and therefore still have value from a business standpoint. Dill is an absolute personality, AVE won’t SOTY relatively recently in 2015. Emerica concluded that in 2018, Jerry’s name didn’t attract enough business to justify the money they paid him. And when things are getting tight for a company like them, those are the tough decisions you have to make to survive. For example, this is why Crail is sinking imo, they keep people on who don’t do really jack shit other than collect a check every month, and have little relevance with the youth. That just doesn’t work. End of story.
And since you mention Baker, I won’t be shocked if they do another round of cuts again here soon. There are similar guys there in the same position.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »

I get where you're coming from, because I think there's definitely a lot of fat that needs to be trimmed from the skateboarding industry as a whole. But I think Jerry has done more than enough for the brand to, at the very least, not get totally shafted over a phone call as it appears has happened. He easily (imo) had the best part in their last full length, and his all-switch part is almost always the first thing that comes up whenever Stay Gold is discussed. He really put himself on the line for the brand for years, and he didn't even get so much as an Instagram send off to say thanks.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2274
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

but the peacock!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

foureyedjim

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »

Jerry seemed pretty realistic about the situation himself.  He even admitted that he didn't do "as much" for the company but it also seemed like Emerica didn't really ask him to do a whole lot and he was doing the bare minimum to fulfill his obligations.  Seems like he was pissed at first because it came so suddenly.

But either way, from a business standpoint, cutting Jerry from the team will save the company money without sacrificing much off sales.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
Someone needs to tell Jerry to quit being so Yellow because This Is Skateboarding and you just can't Stay Gold forever and fuckin Kids in Emerica too and fuck it Made 1 and 2 I'm regular.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jerry seemed pretty realistic about the situation himself.  He even admitted that he didn't do "as much" for the company but it also seemed like Emerica didn't really ask him to do a whole lot and he was doing the bare minimum to fulfill his obligations.  Seems like he was pissed at first because it came so suddenly.

But either way, from a business standpoint, cutting Jerry from the team will save the company money without sacrificing much off sales.

I don't know about that, Jerry with his Sci.fy stuff being sold at Supreme/in supreme video, 150K instagram followers, his art stuff etc, I'm surprised they dropped him because he seems like one of the guys that had a decent reach outside of just skating.