Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945625 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9360 on: December 08, 2022, 07:14:11 PM »
Slumberland with Jason Momoa.

The light house in the little kids dreams looks exactly like my mom's old apartments on LSD.  It's almost like one of the Marblehead homies designed this film.

I wish I could make shit like that. May art is too dark and difficult to do on a schedule.

You ever see the Gonz in Marblehead?  He’s either got a place there or in Manchester BTS

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #9361 on: December 10, 2022, 02:08:27 AM »
Guillermo del Toros Pinocchio was pretty good.  I generally hate kids movies but it reminded me of the few I liked when I was a kid. Has actual stakes and shit. My nieces and nephews were into it altho that's kind of a lottery what they like and dislike. If you're just an adult by yourself it may not be enough but if you need to entertain family and don't want one of those Barbie CGI things it's def much better

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #9362 on: December 10, 2022, 02:20:00 AM »
Guillermo del Toros Pinocchio was pretty good.  I generally hate kids movies but it reminded me of the few I liked when I was a kid. Has actual stakes and shit. My nieces and nephews were into it altho that's kind of a lottery what they like and dislike. If you're just an adult by yourself it may not be enough but if you need to entertain family and don't want one of those Barbie CGI things it's def much better

My kids watched it this evening with their grandmother and it looked like they loved it. My mother certainly was impressed which bodes well since she is a hard sell. My son (7 years old) has seen the Disney version a couple of times so he had something to compare it to at least, but he still wants to show his little sister (3) the old Disney one tomorrow. I only caught the very tail end coming to pick them up but they were both fully captivated by it at 10 pm well past their bedtime lol...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9363 on: December 10, 2022, 02:41:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My kids watched it this evening with their grandmother and it looked like they loved it. My mother certainly was impressed which bodes well since she is a hard sell. My son (7 years old) has seen the Disney version a couple of times so he had something to compare it to at least, but he still wants to show his little sister (3) the old Disney one tomorrow. I only caught the very tail end coming to pick them up but they were both fully captivated by it at 10 pm well past their bedtime lol...

Also good to point out that it’s got the same people from Laika (Coraline, ParaNorman, Kubo, BoxTrolls) doing the stop motion under a new name.  Nike money making good art!

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #9364 on: December 10, 2022, 10:23:24 AM »
Pretty in Pink was an amazing 80s movie plus its absolutely packed with New Order bangers throughout. On HBO max too

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1411
« Reply #9365 on: December 11, 2022, 01:44:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also good to point out that it’s got the same people from Laika (Coraline, ParaNorman, Kubo, BoxTrolls) doing the stop motion under a new name.  Nike money making good art!

What happened with laika? I love paranorman and box trolls

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9366 on: December 11, 2022, 03:32:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What happened with laika? I love paranorman and box trolls

Actually nothing - got bad info.    Pinocchio is just  made by another Portland based stop motion company who had hired on some Laika talent.    Laika exists and has movies turning out.   

Also - agreed on Boxtrolls being great.   

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #9367 on: December 12, 2022, 06:19:45 PM »
Just watched Paris, Texas for the first time.  The ending destroyed me more than I had anticipated
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9368 on: December 13, 2022, 04:52:17 AM »
Just watched Paris, Texas for the first time.  The ending destroyed me more than I had anticipated

For sure. It’s crushing… fantastic film though.

Got around to Bullet Train. Pretty fun watch.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9369 on: December 13, 2022, 12:38:36 PM »
Banshees of Inisherin is a fecking masterpiece
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:14:09 PM by DaleSr »

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #9370 on: December 13, 2022, 11:12:43 PM »
finally watched city of god. that is a must watch!!!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9371 on: December 13, 2022, 11:21:25 PM »
Banshees of Inisherin is a fecking masterpiece

Glad you liked it!   

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #9372 on: December 14, 2022, 01:13:42 AM »
just got out of The Whale earlier, was pleasantly surprised
saw All The Beauty and Bloodshed a couple days prior to that

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #9373 on: December 14, 2022, 03:33:40 AM »
how good is Signs.

Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9374 on: December 14, 2022, 03:39:54 AM »
how good is Signs.

Don't know if serious or not because of how much hate this movie gets but I actually really like signs. Good memories being in highschool movie date plus added onto childhood when I'd always think there were people running around on the roof or on the neighbours roof looking in my windows lol. Plus on-top of that I think it's a pretty fun movie

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9375 on: December 14, 2022, 05:09:31 AM »
Expand Quote
how good is Signs.

[close]
Don't know if serious or not because of how much hate this movie gets but I actually really like signs. Good memories being in highschool movie date plus added onto childhood when I'd always think there were people running around on the roof or on the neighbours roof looking in my windows lol. Plus on-top of that I think it's a pretty fun movie

Right, it’s fun, but I wouldn’t say good.   But there’s nothing wrong with being fun!

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9376 on: December 14, 2022, 06:01:09 AM »
Out on paternity leave so been digging into the crates. Just watched North by Northwest, Odd Couple, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. NBNW is just a triumph in film making. Cary Grant knows how to hold a screen. You don’t see that much any more with todays  movie stars.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #9377 on: December 14, 2022, 08:29:49 AM »
Signs is forever a classic

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9378 on: December 14, 2022, 10:56:57 AM »
Out on paternity leave so been digging into the crates. Just watched North by Northwest, Odd Couple, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. NBNW is just a triumph in film making. Cary Grant knows how to hold a screen. You don’t see that much any more with todays  movie stars.

Cary was absolutely magnetic on screen. Love seeing him in anything

Dirty rotten scoundrels is also fantastic

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9379 on: December 14, 2022, 11:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Watched "arsenic and old lace" recently. Pretty alright. At very least it's interesting to see a comedy from the 40s.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9380 on: December 14, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Watched "arsenic and old lace" recently. Pretty alright. At very least it's interesting to see a comedy from the 40s.

I still need to watch that one. My fiance is one of those "born in the wrong generation" types and she loves watching classic film

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9381 on: December 14, 2022, 01:02:58 PM »
Arsenic and Old Lace is amazing. I want to see a stage production of it someday, but I doubt that will ever will.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #9382 on: December 14, 2022, 07:07:03 PM »
Just popping in to echo the praise for The Banshees of Inisherin. Loved everything about it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9383 on: December 14, 2022, 07:15:32 PM »
Just popping in to echo the praise for The Banshees of Inisherin. Loved everything about it.

Ok McDonagh fans.   Enjoy (one of) his first short film

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -66
  • ???
« Reply #9384 on: December 16, 2022, 08:29:26 AM »
"a sun" on Netflix

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #9385 on: December 16, 2022, 08:49:13 AM »
Triangle of Sadness, best movie I've seen in a minute.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9386 on: December 19, 2022, 06:43:42 PM »
Just finished the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Fantastic. It rocks that ridley put out a movie making crusaders look venal, cruel and honor less at the height of the Iraq war.

It also rocks that its full of s tier character work guys like Brendan Gleason, Michael Sheen, Alexander Siddig, David Thewlis, Jeremy Irons and Nikolaj Coster Waldau. Edward Norton even sneaks in there acting under a mask and a ton of makeup

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9387 on: December 19, 2022, 07:39:49 PM »
Just finished the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Fantastic. It rocks that ridley put out a movie making crusaders look venal, cruel and honor less at the height of the Iraq war.

It also rocks that its full of s tier character work guys like Brendan Gleason, Michael Sheen, Alexander Siddig, David Thewlis, Jeremy Irons and Nikolaj Coster Waldau. Edward Norton even sneaks in there acting under a mask and a ton of makeup

Yes!   The theatrical cut is such a fucking travesty.    Knowing/seeing the Directors Cut is like a code word in my eyes for knowing what’s up

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9388 on: December 19, 2022, 09:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes!   The theatrical cut is such a fucking travesty.    Knowing/seeing the Directors Cut is like a code word in my eyes for knowing what’s up

I can't even imagine what the theatrical cut is like. It doesn't feel like the film is wasting your time at any point even though it's 3 hours long. What segments did they cut originally?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9389 on: December 20, 2022, 12:07:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can't even imagine what the theatrical cut is like. It doesn't feel like the film is wasting your time at any point even though it's 3 hours long. What segments did they cut originally?

It’s really hard to remember bc I haven’t seen that version in almost 20 years.   I remember a lot of the prologue in France was chopped way down so that everyone’s relationships didn’t make make sense.   The whole movie was just kinda death by a thousand literal cuts.