Author Topic: 2024 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 47563 times)

French manicure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: 2024 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #750 on: May 02, 2024, 10:11:35 PM »
I think of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

I kinda feel like that's how a lot of non-skateboarders view skateboarding though. I've had conversations with older folks who just don't seem to grasp the physics of skateboarding.  To them it does seem like a magic trick; of course there's also the people that will just tell you that it's blind luck.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #751 on: May 02, 2024, 10:11:59 PM »
Skateboarding needs a new word for the word “tricks”. “Tricks” always sounds funny to me now. I think of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat. It’s too hard to make a word last. You can’t just be using a word that’s too slick and goes out of style 2 years later.

I say maneuvers sometimes. Kind of in a jokingly manner. But usually when it’s a maneuver that’s no joke.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #752 on: May 02, 2024, 10:12:35 PM »
Skateboarding needs a new word for the word “tricks”. “Tricks” always sounds funny to me now. I think of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat. It’s too hard to make a word last. You can’t just be using a word that’s too slick and goes out of style 2 years later.

Maneuvers? Moves? Movements? Actions? Exercise? Operations? Manipulations?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #753 on: May 02, 2024, 10:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Skaters who don’t skate parks altogether have found the true essence of skateboarding.
[close]

I guess this is a real unpopular opinion then, but I actually prefer skating parks to street skating these days. Only exception for street skating is skating a drainage ditch, I still love that shit.

To elaborate a bit -
Going out filming at spots with friends is undoubtedly magical. The car ride out, the shit talking, getting to a spot and playing flat ground games of skate to warm up, maybe bunt a few attempts at whatever trick you think you can do, MAYBE get a clip, and then the cheers and high-fives after a battle, closed out by a trip to get some food and reliving the daily highlights.
Super tight.

BUT, here is my issue.. you don't actually skate that much.

So much of the day is meeting up and driving to the spot (sitting in traffic - at least in CA), getting to a spot you don't really wanna skate but your homie does, and if you do want to skate the spot then you gotta take turns and wait to try your shit. If you're in a group of like 3 or 4 people it aint always that bad, but trying to mobilize any more than that is just futile. You're  spending the entire day at the warm up spot. Not to mention showing up only to immediately get the boot from security. My friends I were kicked out by a couple security guards that were younger than all of us. That was weird.

Going to the skatepark however, homies are already there, or you're about to make some new ones. You can skate as much and for as long as you want. Tired of skating the ledge? Move 10 feet over and skate the hip. Ain't feeling the hip? What about the quarter pipe or step-up then? There's literally so much shit to skate at parks, and I get to skate wayyyy more when I'm at a park. Plus, young ass security guards won't be kicking you out.

My desire to go out and skate street or film another part is just gone. I've got about 8 parts or so under my belt, and filming them were some of the best times of my life yet. But I'm just preferring the park to the streets these days.

I distinctly remember being 17/18 and feeling kinda miffed when homies in the skate group started driving, kinda sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me. Obviously it opens up a lot of avenues in terms of road trips and going further afield, but for the day to day/weekly skating a lot of the fun was just bombing around to different spots, hitting things up along the way and stumbling across spots you hadn't seen before compared to say doing the same shit/spots but with a car and packing everyones shit up, sitting in traffic, finding parking, getting everything out again etc which is then made even worse by living in area known for having terrible road infrastructure with frequent traffic/multiple mile long tailbacks, crashes, etc which can turn 20 minute journeys into potentially hours if you're unlucky.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #754 on: May 02, 2024, 10:49:07 PM »
Ice cold take but unpopular nonetheless…..both are perfectly fine….

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #755 on: May 03, 2024, 01:48:54 AM »
White socks look tacky, black or dark colored socks only.

The worst are those cute little ankle socks in white.
IG: @flowterspace

djoekr

• Rep: 313
« Reply #756 on: May 03, 2024, 04:48:47 AM »
Skateboarding needs a new word for the word “tricks”.

Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #757 on: May 03, 2024, 06:26:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skaters who don’t skate parks altogether have found the true essence of skateboarding.
[close]

I guess this is a real unpopular opinion then, but I actually prefer skating parks to street skating these days. Only exception for street skating is skating a drainage ditch, I still love that shit.

To elaborate a bit -
Going out filming at spots with friends is undoubtedly magical. The car ride out, the shit talking, getting to a spot and playing flat ground games of skate to warm up, maybe bunt a few attempts at whatever trick you think you can do, MAYBE get a clip, and then the cheers and high-fives after a battle, closed out by a trip to get some food and reliving the daily highlights.
Super tight.

BUT, here is my issue.. you don't actually skate that much.

So much of the day is meeting up and driving to the spot (sitting in traffic - at least in CA), getting to a spot you don't really wanna skate but your homie does, and if you do want to skate the spot then you gotta take turns and wait to try your shit. If you're in a group of like 3 or 4 people it aint always that bad, but trying to mobilize any more than that is just futile. You're  spending the entire day at the warm up spot. Not to mention showing up only to immediately get the boot from security. My friends I were kicked out by a couple security guards that were younger than all of us. That was weird.

Going to the skatepark however, homies are already there, or you're about to make some new ones. You can skate as much and for as long as you want. Tired of skating the ledge? Move 10 feet over and skate the hip. Ain't feeling the hip? What about the quarter pipe or step-up then? There's literally so much shit to skate at parks, and I get to skate wayyyy more when I'm at a park. Plus, young ass security guards won't be kicking you out.

My desire to go out and skate street or film another part is just gone. I've got about 8 parts or so under my belt, and filming them were some of the best times of my life yet. But I'm just preferring the park to the streets these days.
[close]

I distinctly remember being 17/18 and feeling kinda miffed when homies in the skate group started driving, kinda sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me. Obviously it opens up a lot of avenues in terms of road trips and going further afield, but for the day to day/weekly skating a lot of the fun was just bombing around to different spots, hitting things up along the way and stumbling across spots you hadn't seen before compared to say doing the same shit/spots but with a car and packing everyones shit up, sitting in traffic, finding parking, getting everything out again etc which is then made even worse by living in area known for having terrible road infrastructure with frequent traffic/multiple mile long tailbacks, crashes, etc which can turn 20 minute journeys into potentially hours if you're unlucky.

Word. Cars were dope because we could get to a big city or the train station to get to a bigger city, but it def cut out the pushing 3 miles in 12 minutes to get home from work scenario, which was pretty essential
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

nollieboulala

• Rep: 6
  • fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #758 on: May 03, 2024, 09:03:26 AM »
Expand Quote
SOTY means nothing considering there's no alternate opinions that are big enough to go against Thrasher. Also Tyshawn openly stating he wants to win a bunch of them kinda ruins the illusion.
[close]
He’s starting on this year’s with a different trick at the same spot. Maybe later in the year he’ll switch flip it and maybe switch 180 a picnic table. Thrasher will award him another SOTY for a mediocre output.

each trick can only be an 'event' like this for so long before its played. the whole hype and mystique is lost when it's repeatedly done over and over. it's clear clout chasing at this point. what would actually be interesting is if he would go out and do something we don't expect from him, something different from his past tricks, and something unique that only he could do. he's got the talent and skill, he can definitely do it. this subway gap is just more of what he's already done, again.

Mywm

• Rep: 10
« Reply #759 on: May 03, 2024, 10:39:44 AM »
Wallrides look like shit most of the time.

Oroborus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #760 on: May 03, 2024, 11:57:39 AM »
All 4 wheel's or the 2 wheeled ones that's been passed off as wall ride? I think the bs full 4 wheels on ones are tight

SkatingOnNeptune

• Rep: -20
« Reply #761 on: May 03, 2024, 12:56:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stunts

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #762 on: May 03, 2024, 01:28:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Stunts

How could I forget…

Ninj2

• Rep: -94
« Reply #763 on: May 03, 2024, 01:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
If you rode egg tho and did sale grind that should be called egg salad sandwich witch coincidently also disgusting
[close]

How did you come up with this and think egg salad grind didn’t sound sick? I don’t fuck w egg salad but that trick name is money
Cuz eggs is gross. We saw that movie pink flamingos and we ain’t fuck with eggs sense.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #764 on: May 04, 2024, 08:38:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Stunts

I have an older homie who refers to the type of skating that is just so big/unrelatable/gnarly for most. Like jaws, delfino, Milton. They're not doing tricks, they're doing stunts in his opinion.

Oroborus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #765 on: May 04, 2024, 08:52:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you rode egg tho and did sale grind that should be called egg salad sandwich witch coincidently also disgusting
[close]

How did you come up with this and think egg salad grind didn’t sound sick? I don’t fuck w egg salad but that trick name is money
[close]
Cuz eggs is gross. We saw that movie pink flamingos and we ain’t fuck with eggs sense.
This here.

work_lurker

• Rep: 92
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #766 on: May 09, 2024, 05:28:22 PM »
Cyrus Bennet is actually Patrick O'Dell from 2008

https://youtu.be/3k8pmQBu4-o?si=15RwBlSucNj8YoHc&t=60
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #767 on: May 09, 2024, 07:45:24 PM »
Cyrus Bennet is actually Patrick O'Dell from 2008

https://youtu.be/3k8pmQBu4-o?si=15RwBlSucNj8YoHc&t=60
Unpopular opinion, or… actual FACT?!?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #768 on: May 10, 2024, 12:17:28 AM »
Tired of seeing nose slides. It was cool for some time but it's played out.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -36
« Reply #769 on: May 10, 2024, 12:48:19 AM »
Tania Cruz’s roll on manual to 5-0 on a small bank in that new Vans video had me feeling like it was better left to the cutting room floor or credits. I’m all for inclusion in skating but when you see what some women are doing on their boards these days, the roll on grind phase needs to get cut. Especially when every other trick in the video is a certified banger.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #770 on: May 10, 2024, 05:23:35 AM »
Tired of seeing nose slides. It was cool for some time but it's played out.

Yea! Keep your fucking noseslides to yourself!

Unless they're fs to regs, or fast as fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #771 on: May 10, 2024, 05:33:46 AM »
Tania Cruz’s roll on manual to 5-0 on a small bank in that new Vans video had me feeling like it was better left to the cutting room floor or credits. I’m all for inclusion in skating but when you see what some women are doing on their boards these days, the roll on grind phase needs to get cut. Especially when every other trick in the video is a certified banger.
Couldn't agree more. Roll on grinds are if you're over 35 and hurting.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #772 on: May 10, 2024, 09:36:00 PM »
Mike V still gets a pass

I'm not sorry

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #773 on: May 10, 2024, 09:41:45 PM »
Mike V still gets a pass

I'm not sorry

That’s doin’ it.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #774 on: May 11, 2024, 01:01:00 AM »
Rock and roll or guitar music is on the rise again.
It's in my opinion that everyone should take up guitar or drums today. Especially if you're a young pal and love music.

It don't matter the genre. The reset button has been pushed. Hip hop is dying on the charts.

I saw a video about the pop charts. Guitars are coming back. So everyone go buy one plz.

Use it in all genres.v
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #775 on: May 11, 2024, 04:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
All 4 wheel's or the 2 wheeled ones that's been passed off as wall ride? I think the bs full 4 wheels on ones are tight
Yes. The two wheeled “nollied” out ones are cheater tricks.

For a proper demonstration of a wall ride, Exhibit S (for Shanahanz):

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdQn099DRFZ/?igsh=d3Z3NXVuZ2lwbG8=
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 04:52:50 PM by JM »
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

lurkluke

• Rep: 189
« Reply #776 on: May 11, 2024, 10:11:38 PM »
Tony Latham needs to stop putting his hands all over the wall. His wall rides look disgusting  and he does so many of them.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #777 on: May 11, 2024, 10:16:33 PM »
Rock and roll or guitar music is on the rise again.
It's in my opinion that everyone should take up guitar or drums today. Especially if you're a young pal and love music.

It don't matter the genre. The reset button has been pushed. Hip hop is dying on the charts.

I saw a video about the pop charts. Guitars are coming back. So everyone go buy one plz.

Use it in all genres.v
genre matters and it’s country dawg

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 601
« Reply #778 on: May 12, 2024, 02:12:54 AM »
New trucks feel amazing.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #779 on: May 12, 2024, 04:39:14 AM »
New trucks feel amazing.

probably the worst opinion i've read in this whole thread.