Author Topic: Jacuzzi Unlimited: Enjoi 2.0  (Read 100558 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jacuzzi Unlimited: Enjoi 2.0
« Reply #630 on: December 08, 2023, 08:59:03 PM »
Turns out even Louie was a douchebag, fuck that shit. Sending a “welfare check” is even more fucked given the typical respondents to those incidents.

Yeah, police only welfare checks are not good looks.

Good on you for recognizing it was not a good situation and getting out and then for putting yourself out there even further.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #631 on: December 08, 2023, 09:03:26 PM »
I bumped into Louie today at Safeway randomly. First pro skater I’ve ever met in person and he seemed really chill, I was shaking for a few minutes after.

Was Heath there buying chocolates at Safeway as well?

Edit:

I read about Daniel’s experience after that attempt for humour and Would have just saved it.

You showed immense courage/awareness recognizing there was an issue and quitting so quick, leaving the check/opportunity on the table. With that kind of awareness You could help a lot of people at some point, if you were ever compelled.

Sorry for the unsolicited recommendations:
I take this stuff super seriously as I’ve been through opiate addiction issues which eventually brought on that ideation. I’m so sorry you were treated that way, in my experience speaking up is the best thing you can do. I’d also strongly recommend a councillor of sorts if you’re ready/can afford it. Surround yourself with family and trusted friends, even a new group. You have everything to offer these brands skating and taste wise, you’ll find the right place in time.   

Jerry Hsu/MJ are the redeeming factor of this groups history, beyond that I’ve never cared…thankful for that after hearing this Something in the water up there? Daryl and now this…yikes
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 08:09:50 PM by figureitout »

zipzinger666

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • Fuck, that didn't work out...
« Reply #632 on: December 08, 2023, 09:21:59 PM »
Expand Quote
if this is true this already mediocre brand is gonna crash n burn  :'(
[close]

I just got a welfare check from the local police because Louie called in. Crazy to think that he decided to do it once I spoke out and not last month when I told him and the TM.

I have been a fan since your foundation days, loved your footage in monnie and thought you were going to blow the fuck up with jacuzzi.

That shit is fucked. I've been in a similar situation, where I felt that the trust in someone you think has your best interests would be maintained but the other party was more concerned about their own world. There's easier ways to attempt to give a shit that don't involve getting the cops involved for fucks sake.

I get Louie not wanting to have another team member off themselves. But to ignore it until it is critical, and then call it in makes me think he didn't learn much from Ben. Especially when its essentially a reboot of the tiltmode, enjoi, drink, party and stack footage model. Unforunately it should've been an opportunity to correct the course and figure out how to prevent all this from happening again. Not buying shit from them now.

Please take care of yourself and reach out if you need anything.

Slap: not only do we run things in the industry, we fucking kill people"

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #633 on: December 09, 2023, 04:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Is this guy already of? He keeps posting things that make it seem that way
https://www.instagram.com/stories/fatdan4.1_/
[close]

That’s me. I quit. Louie and the TM just want riders to party and get fucked up. I was taking SSRI’s before I got on and after a few months partying only made things worse. I reached out to Louie and Jeff about my depression and suicidal thoughts and they just told me to figure it out on my own. I thought they would have had a more serious reaction considering Ben but that was not the case. It’s just dwindle corporate nonsense with a new name. Never meet your hero’s.

That’s fucked up what happened after you reaching out man. I know how hard that is!
I know this isn’t the place for it but I’ve been on ssri’s for yrs and have had countless battles with depression and anxiety as well as drinking. I recently had to self administer myself into the psyc ward just to get the help I needed as I was at rock bottom…
 Speaking from experience I guess is what I’m trying to get at, So if you ever need somebody to talk about anything at all just shoot me a dm man. Just remember you aren’t alone with these battles. Much love

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #634 on: December 09, 2023, 05:55:11 AM »
Much love to you ABQBBQ, I'm a big fan of your skating and I have mad respect for your being so open about mental health.

There's a pretty great community of people that do a thing called DBSA, the Depression Bipolar Support Alliance. They have (bi)weekly meetings all over the Bay Area, and most of the country. Check out a meeting, they're the best. I think there are zoom versions now, but it's cool to go in person. Totally free. Nothing to join. Nothing you have to believe. Best shit ever. Just people sharing their struggles with depression and bipolar with other people who struggle. Optionally there are groups to include family of those who struggle.

How are you reading this wellness check thing? Is it like a completely fucked-up SWATing-esque power move on Louie's behalf, is it him trying to cover his ass, is it a sincere, albeit rather naive attempt at caring, or was something lost in translation?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 08:00:24 AM by OwlGreen »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -531
« Reply #635 on: December 09, 2023, 07:02:22 AM »
Turns out even Louie was a douchebag, fuck that shit. Sending a “welfare check” is even more fucked given the typical respondents to those incidents.

Not to argue, but situations like this could be difficult I’d imagine.  What would you think someone should do, as an ex employer, with a suicidal disgruntled employee?

I totally get that that there’s a feeling that all police are evil and bringing them into the situation makes things worse, but what, in your view, should Louie do in this situation?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #636 on: December 09, 2023, 07:28:26 AM »
responding to a year old post with human resources handbook nonsense, classic newphone

I’m pretty sure that post is from yesterday.

I asked what he thinks Louie should have done if he’s worried about an ex rider and already had one rider die of suicide in the past.

But yeah, not willing to immediately assume the worst of and condemn someone without more careful consideration of the situation, classic me.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 19
« Reply #637 on: December 09, 2023, 07:37:57 AM »
fuck this company man, that is awful

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #638 on: December 09, 2023, 08:22:56 AM »
Damn that’s fucked up. Hope you can get help and thanks for speaking out.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #639 on: December 09, 2023, 08:32:43 AM »
Almost tempted to let the actual jacuzzis im in-law related to know that
1) a San Jose brand is claiming Berkeley territory
2) the whole name usage think that I can’t believe has been legally vetted

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 831
« Reply #640 on: December 09, 2023, 08:59:42 AM »
That is fucked up. Glad you're ok @ABQBBQ .

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #641 on: December 09, 2023, 09:01:49 AM »
Think it’s fucking great you decided to speak out.  I’m hopeful something positive will come out of this for you and others.  Some great thoughts in here already… will just say that some people are toxic and need to be cut out, even if they’re your employer.  Your well being in the long term is way more important.

Fingers crossed Louie and Jeff can learn from this in a real way, all the Jaccuzzi promo so far has been super Enjoi 2.0 which as others have mentioned seemed pretty tasteless after Ben’s passing, so not totally surprised they still have their heads in the sand on this topic.  Truly never meet your heroes.

leafman4000

• Rep: 29
« Reply #642 on: December 09, 2023, 09:56:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not to argue, but situations like this could be difficult I’d imagine.  What would you think someone should do, as an ex employer, with a suicidal disgruntled employee?

I totally get that that there’s a feeling that all police are evil and bringing them into the situation makes things worse, but what, in your view, should Louie do in this situation?

I know this isn’t directed at me but as someone going through something similar:

First Louie and the guys at JU shouldn’t have said “not my problem, figure it out yourself.” Any reasonable person would have at first offered sympathy, ESPECIALLY considering Louie was around for Bens death. Since Louie is running a company, he should have given or subsidized counselling/therapy/any other type of help for him out of recognition that “hey, we’re this guys employer, we should do what we need to help him get better.” And if not for that, at least do it out of human decency.

Even if their is no legal mandate for them to offer him any support, Louie/JU still should have. I mean its not like Louie’s just some guy, he’s running a company with some sort of assets and Louie himself has a level of influence within skateboarding, so there should have been the means available to provide counselling/etc.

They also could have just said “yeah man sorry to hear that, if you just want to focus on skateboarding or just take a break from it all (the company mandated partying and substance abuse) to get better, we’ll be here for you when your ready,” that could have gone a long way. Just knowing that you’re supported and have options means a lot

Edit: just wanted to add how fucked enforcing a mandate for drinking, and potentially other drugs is. Its a really slippery slope. So whack
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 02:00:59 PM by leafman4000 »
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #643 on: December 09, 2023, 10:09:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know this isn’t directed at me but as someone going through something similar:

First Louie and the guys at JU shouldn’t have said “not my problem, figure it out yourself.” Any reasonable person would have at first offered sympathy, ESPECIALLY considering Louie was around for Bens death. Since Louie is running a company, he should have given or subsidized counselling/therapy/any other type of help for him out of recognition that “hey, we’re this guys employer, we should do what we need to help him get better.” And if not for that, at least do it out of human decency.

Even if their is no legal mandate for them to offer him any support, Louie/JU still should have. I mean its not like Louie’s just some guy, he’s running a company with some sort of assets and Louie himself has a level of influence within skateboarding, so there should have been the means available to provide counselling/etc.

They also could have just said “yeah man sorry to hear that, if you just want to focus on skateboarding or just take a break from it all to get better, we’ll be here for you when your ready,” that could have gone a long way. Just knowing that you’re supported and have options means a lot

Very fair, and yeah it was directed at anyone.

If that’s how it went down, that is certainly unbelievably bad.

At the point the wellness check was called in, is where things might have escalated too far to do anything else, is what I’m suggesting.

If I were advising someone of how to check on a disgruntled ex employee, especially one who was rightfully disgruntled because of their actions, I’d probably suggest something that didn’t involve them furthering contact with that person.

I’d like to hear Louie’s side of the situation, are there other accounts of him being basically the worst person imaginable in the past that I missed?

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 64
  • energy vampire
« Reply #644 on: December 09, 2023, 10:40:36 AM »
Yeah the simple answer there is not being a drunken callous asshole like Louie seems to have been. Any semblance of a support system would have been better than a “welfare check” where again, things have been known to go horrible awry.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 748
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #645 on: December 09, 2023, 10:50:32 AM »
Your life (and quality of life) are vastly more important than being paid less than a barista to destroy your body for 5 years of free boards. Fuck them. Glad you spoke out and glad you were aware of what a powder keg of a situation that could be for you.

I can definitely empathize with not knowing exactly how to handle something so heavy because I definitely don’t know how I would react… however, if I was in Louie’s shoes I would certainly, at the very least, hire someone who did know what to do in terms of an HR person or something… sorry that happened.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 25
« Reply #646 on: December 09, 2023, 11:04:17 AM »
Sharing those things is hard at first but can shine a light long term, keep your head up king! Much love
:p

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #647 on: December 09, 2023, 11:07:28 AM »
ABQBBQ, I am so sorry to hear about how you were treated. Thank you for being brave in sharing those details, and for opening up about your mental health. I hope you know that there is a community that is thinking about you, and wants the best for you. I struggle with similar things, and you definitely made the right move by putting your mental health before your career.

This changes everything about how I view a group of people I once held in the highest regard.
RIP Ben Raemers

Coldpizza

• Rep: 168
« Reply #648 on: December 09, 2023, 11:42:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They also could have just said “yeah man sorry to hear that, if you just want to focus on skateboarding or just take a break from it all to get better, we’ll be here for you when your ready,” that could have gone a long way. Just knowing that you’re supported and have options means a lot
[close]

At the point the wellness check was called in, is where things might have escalated too far to do anything else, is what I’m suggesting.

If I were advising someone of how to check on a disgruntled ex employee, especially one who was rightfully disgruntled because of their actions, I’d probably suggest something that didn’t involve them furthering contact with that person.

I’d like to hear Louie’s side of the situation, are there other accounts of him being basically the worst person imaginable in the past that I missed?

OMG thank you so much for clarifying your milquetoast moderate opinion.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shtonk

• Rep: -477
« Reply #649 on: December 09, 2023, 12:04:13 PM »
Came straight here from somebody blowing up their insta about this. Dan, really sorry to hear you're going through this and were putting hopes in the wrong people. A lot of good advice has already been given above.

I'm going to share something that has been bugging me since Monnie released and that I've kept to myself out of discretion and a bit of illguided "neutrality" a la newphone: Drugs (legal and nonlegal) played a big role in Ben's suicide. I have no idea why the Ben foundation hasn't adressed this more directly (it was NOT just some misguided self-medication), maybe out of respect for his family's wishes. The fact that Jacuzzi is starting off with this exaggerated focus on substance abuse is in such bad taste I'd call it vile.

I am up to here with all these rotten secrets in skateboarding just to preserve idolatry. Drinking and drunks played a part in so many of the deaths we've mourned in this scene and all this "tell your friends you love them" when those guys weren't "only" depressed, but waging chemical warfare on their brains. Some examples: Van Wastell died because of a heroin addiction he got introduced to by either Dollin or Phelps. When Dustin eventually kills himself, let's remember he wasn't just having the odd cup of red too many. Phelps himself died (probably intentionally) from a fentanyl overdose. Grosso, too, albeit unintentionally. All of these are stories that should be read as substance abuse being the final killing ingredient, NOT the depression or the "accident"!!

Dan, if you're still reading: Depression is a sickness, it CAN be treated and there WILL be better times for you. But throwing any kind of substance in the mix is lethally dangerous. If you're addicted, talk to the guys above who can share their experience with simultaneously battling substances and depression. If you're not, stay as sober as you can, move as much as you can, touch the ground and breathe in the air, I believe in you.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #650 on: December 09, 2023, 12:13:49 PM »
That instagram thread- kinda feel bad for Caswell- he seems like he didn’t know.

It’s in the hiddens here
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0mZ163prk1/

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #651 on: December 09, 2023, 12:29:41 PM »
While it definitely deserves addressing, and is really more important than video parts… it kinda sucks one of ya’ll blew it up in a post for Caswell.

There are other ways that wouldn’t have unintentionally effected a third party.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 12:38:13 PM by Puddy Smally »
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: December 09, 2023, 12:58:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

OMG thank you so much for clarifying your milquetoast moderate opinion.

No problem, just hate to see anyone jump to the worst possible conclusions and regret it, glad I could provide balance.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #653 on: December 09, 2023, 02:06:44 PM »
That instagram thread- kinda feel bad for Caswell- he seems like he didn’t know.

It’s in the hiddens here
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0mZ163prk1/

leafman4000

« Reply #654 on: December 09, 2023, 02:09:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That makes it sound like hes going to steal company secretes and calling him “disgruntled” downplays how fucked Louie’s response was

leafman4000

« Reply #655 on: December 09, 2023, 02:12:08 PM »
While it definitely deserves addressing, and is really more important than video parts… it kinda sucks one of ya’ll blew it up in a post for Caswell.

Yeah, with what Dan said it really seems like a question that should be directed towards Louie

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #656 on: December 09, 2023, 02:31:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, with what Dan said it really seems like a question that should be directed towards Louie

Makes it especially fucked that it was brought up to someone who’s father committed suicide too… smooth move that.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

RayLaFleur

• Rep: -23
« Reply #657 on: December 09, 2023, 02:43:04 PM »
Did you make sure to message Matt Evs as well ? Safety on brother please.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -104
« Reply #658 on: December 09, 2023, 03:06:03 PM »
Thats crazy. Two years ago I earned a hefty scholarship and wanted to work on an Enjoi video production at the time. Now, not so much.

Hope you can get out of your thoughts. I know I’ve been there and all I could do was wait until it was sunny outside.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #659 on: December 09, 2023, 08:39:04 PM »