Author Topic: News of the World  (Read 776 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
News of the World
« on: March 26, 2024, 05:01:03 AM »
I’ve been thinking about a thread where we can report interesting events from our area of the world. A bridge collapse is something that doesn’t happen very often but last night a cargo ship hit a pillar on a major bridge outside of Baltimore and the result was total failure.

https://www.kktv.com/2024/03/26/francis-scott-key-bridge-baltimore-collapses-after-ship-apparently-struck-it/?outputType=amp

Frank Sobotka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 93
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
Re: News of the World
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 05:04:52 AM »
Absolutely tragic, feel for everyone caught up in this maelstrom. Where do you even start. My condolences from everyone at the International Brotherhood of Stevedores.  :'(

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 07:17:32 AM »
Very tragic. Stay strong, B-More.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 07:19:09 PM »
I’ve been thinking about a thread where we can report interesting events from our area of the world. A bridge collapse is something that doesn’t happen very often but last night a cargo ship hit a pillar on a major bridge outside of Baltimore and the result was total failure.

https://www.kktv.com/2024/03/26/francis-scott-key-bridge-baltimore-collapses-after-ship-apparently-struck-it/?outputType=amp

As I posted in the thread I started about the bridge collapse.  It's pretty lucky that it happened in the middle of the night. Imagine if that happened during rush hour. It would have been more of a major civilization catastrophe rather than an infrastructure one. As a search and rescue worker, the logistics that the teams in the field are working through to do recoveries at this point must be insane.

Frank, if you're actually from Baltimore, or in shipping/dock work. I'd love to hear more from a local.
@Cadillac Ranch Dressing how are you, your city dealing with the bridge?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 01:02:01 AM »
The city is going to be fucked traffic wise for a while.  The bridge was part of the beltway here and connected two counties. 

So many people from the one side commute to either work on the docks or one of the many distribution centers located on the Baltimore County side of the bridge.  The only alternates they have is either the Harbor Tunnel on 895 which is small and always congested before this, the Mchenry tunnel which is a little further out, or to have to drive all the way around the beltway to get to work.

Some of my friends who drive Uber and Lyft would just pick people up from the dock or distribution centers and take them over the bridge, and then pick up people going to work.

Rush hour here was bad enough before it’s going to be horrific in the future.

They can’t open the port back up for shipping until they get all of the debris from the bridge out of the channel, which who knows how long that will take.  Companies have diverted their ships to Norfolk and other ports.  The cruise lines as well.  This will be a hit for the dock workers for sure once the ships that are still there have been unloaded because after that nothing comes in.

As for the search they stopped last night and are supposed to resume in the morning.  A friend of mine is an EMT with the fire department and was out on one of the boats all day today.  He said they could detect vehicles under water but no bodies turned up, possibly because of the time this occurred and the tide at the time.

They’re just damn lucky they shut it down to traffic right when that ship sent out a distress signal, even at that time in the morning there’s still trucks leaving and coming into the port over the bridge, it could have been a lot worse casualty wise.  Those poor workers who were on there were just eating lunch in their work trucks when it went down.  I’m sure you’ve seen the clips it went down fast like a stack of cards.

It’s not that it wasn’t safe it was just built in a time before the cargo ships had gotten to the size they are today.  That’s why ships have to stop at the Bay Bridge and have a harbor pilot board to bring them under that and down the channel and under the now collapsed bridge to port and vice versa when leaving the port.

Hopefully they can find the workers so their families can have some sense of closure, and they can get it cleaned up quickly so the port can reopen.

I can’t count how many times I’ve driven over that thing in my life, lately to take my father to doctors appointments on the other side of town.  It’s a damn tragedy for everyone, which as awful as it is could have been a lot worse.

That’s my 2 cents. 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 10:22:25 AM »

Frank, if you're actually from Baltimore, or in shipping/dock work. I'd love to hear more from a local.
@Cadillac Ranch Dressing how are you, your city dealing with the bridge?

Frank is posting from the grave.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 11:19:42 AM »
Like with any big news event, absolutely insane to watch the talking heads of the right immediately try to spin it into simultaneous conspiracies about this occurring due to a DEI hire and also being a pre-planned event by "them" to weaken the US.

Sometimes terrible shit just happens with machinery and infrastructure, particularly as capitalism incentivizes increases in size, volume, and speed while disincentivizing safety checks, protocols, and redundancies.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1425
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 11:37:07 AM »
Gotta get B&B enterprises on that bid, yo

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 04:22:23 PM »
Like with any big news event, absolutely insane to watch the talking heads of the right immediately try to spin it into simultaneous conspiracies about this occurring due to a DEI hire and also being a pre-planned event by "them" to weaken the US.

Sometimes terrible shit just happens with machinery and infrastructure, particularly as capitalism incentivizes increases in size, volume, and speed while disincentivizing safety checks, protocols, and redundancies.

Absolutely evil conjecture. Even worse is that there are bridges across America that likely have the same potential for collapse.

The entire situation is just plain sad.

@phillip dominguez That was more like twenty cents, dawg, but thank you for laying it all out. The city didn’t deserve this and it jus sucks how long it will take to get everything back up and running. People’s lives are forever changed.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 05:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely evil conjecture. Even worse is that there are bridges across America that likely have the same potential for collapse.

The entire situation is just plain sad.

@phillip dominguez That was more like twenty cents, dawg, but thank you for laying it all out. The city didn’t deserve this and it jus sucks how long it will take to get everything back up and running. People’s lives are forever changed.

I mean, I think it's pretty well documented that our infrastructure is pretty much dog shit. Sometimes it doesn't even take a boat crashing into one to make a bridge collapse.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1425
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 05:27:18 PM »
Major bridge in Providence RI failed a couple months back…
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 06:49:32 PM »

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 2
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 09:03:24 PM »
In the suburbs, a Boston cop was either beat to death by his friends or ran over by his gf and then left to die in a snow storm. There’s a lot of conspiracy theories floating around regarding what occurred that night.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/10/us/john-okeefe-boston-police-death-cec/index.html

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2024, 08:05:41 AM »
The Boeing whistleblower death is pretty spicy.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2024, 05:39:00 PM »
The Boeing whistleblower death is pretty spicy.

I don’t follow a lot of news but this one stood out as well. Haven’t followed up since it broke but sounds like a classic assassination. Super fucked up

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2024, 08:47:13 PM »
John’s friend being asked if he was sad or capable of suicide and he says not at all.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2024, 09:11:03 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/05/19/world/iran-president-crash

This is going to be problematic...

I would surmise that whether Israel did this or not, Iran will blame them all the same.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2024, 10:46:21 AM »
Kobe died in the same kind of conditions without mountains. Adding mountains just seems like a guaranteed crash.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2024, 10:53:07 AM »
Kobe died in the same kind of conditions without mountains. Adding mountains just seems like a guaranteed crash.

Bill Burr talks a lot about how hard it is to fly helicopters and that the physics behind them make them more prone to mechanical stalls...scary shit, Schwarzenegger said when he was gov of California he took helicopters almost daily from LA to SAC

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2024, 12:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bill Burr talks a lot about how hard it is to fly helicopters and that the physics behind them make them more prone to mechanical stalls...scary shit, Schwarzenegger said when he was gov of California he took helicopters almost daily from LA to SAC
Oh I agree, and I used to work with a guy who survived two helo crashes. He walks to his fires now. I'm just saying that with the history of animosity between the two nations, there will likely be some sort of allegation at some point. True or not, that's just what happens when you have already assassinated multiple Iranian officials.