Author Topic: Nyjah for SOTY  (Read 34459 times)

ejazzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Nyjah for SOTY
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can a person be SOTY if they
- do the worst fakie shuv in a line?
- include a clip that shows how poorly they can backside powerslide, despite being the “best” skater out there?
- bring their own cute little wedge ramp to skate a rail?
- blatantly knock down a photographer’s flash after landing a trick at clipper?
- claim in an old interview “that skateboarding is not for girls at all. Not one bit.”

He’s skilled, but intolerable. I doubt I’ll ever watch that part again. I’d love to see anyone else win soty.
[close]

I doubt that the photographers getting paid to shoot nyjah have to worry about things like flashes falling over to be honest
[close]

Maybe he’ll help out the photographer for the gear. It’s still an asshole move to break good equipment.
[close]

I guarantee he'd buy the photographer a new flash. On his IG story a few months ago, he accidentally ran over some kids iPhone that he left on the ground. Nyjah went out of his way to buy the kid a new one the same day.

The people bringing up a quote from 10 years ago just shows people are grasping at anything to invalidate this guy. His style isn't my cup of tea either but I want him to win based on his skating, not his lifestyle.

Someone out of frame could've been sitting there and caught it before it hit the ground as well. People really grasping at straws to hate nigel.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2022, 07:54:03 AM »
He is playing w death

In an absolute sense, sure. If he were to somehow clip on a tall ledge and drop head-first to the flat, that would end very badly. But he won't. His physical abilities allow him to do this stuff so consistently that he won't bail in a life-altering way. Before anyone gets mad, yes, I saw the slams, they're gnarly, I realize he "pays the price". But it's all relatively controlled. He simply knows how to avoid uncontrollable slams in compromising positions. That's a movement skill in and of itself and can be practiced, as we as skaters have all done. Most of us can take a tumble at any time without repercussions, but people who've never learned how to fall often get seriously injured. It comes down to the good ol' difference between danger and risk: The danger (=the consequences IF something goes wrong) is high, but the risk (=the chances of this actually happening) is comparatively low because Nyjah is so freaking good at skating rails. I'd argue that guys like Gabe Summers who have more of a "let's hope for the best" approach are at a higher risk of fatal consequences than Nyjah is, even though his tricks are objectively much harder. He's just got this rail shit figured out.

Fuckfaceunstoppable

• Rep: -48
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2022, 08:01:12 AM »
Expand Quote
He is playing w death
[close]

In an absolute sense, sure. If he were to somehow clip on a tall ledge and drop head-first to the flat, that would end very badly. But he won't. His physical abilities allow him to do this stuff so consistently that he won't bail in a life-altering way. Before anyone gets mad, yes, I saw the slams, they're gnarly, I realize he "pays the price". But it's all relatively controlled. He simply knows how to avoid uncontrollable slams in compromising positions. That's a movement skill in and of itself and can be practiced, as we as skaters have all done. Most of us can take a tumble at any time without repercussions, but people who've never learned how to fall often get seriously injured. It comes down to the good ol' difference between danger and risk: The danger (=the consequences IF something goes wrong) is high, but the risk (=the chances of this actually happening) is comparatively low because Nyjah is so freaking good at skating rails. I'd argue that guys like Gabe Summers who have more of a "let's hope for the best" approach are at a higher risk of fatal consequences than Nyjah is, even though his tricks are objectively much harder. He's just got this rail shit figured out.

There is always a risk of of serious injury or death. Nobody is in 100% control and anyone who thinks that is a narcissist.

scab

« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2022, 08:08:58 AM »
Of course. That's why I wrote the risk is "comparatively low", not "zero". I'm simply stating that Nyjah is more skilled at what he does than others and can therefore manage spots with a higher danger factor and still have a lower or comparable risk factor. I can jaywalk without much risk because I can run if I need to. My fat and immobile dad can't and faces a much higher risk of getting run over. It's really not that difficult to grasp.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He is playing w death
[close]

[close]

There is always a risk of of serious injury or death. Nobody is in 100% control and anyone who thinks that is a narcissist.
Has any pro skater ever died from skating a handrail? I can’t think of anyone.

Hill bombs or mega ramp accidents seem much more likely to kill you. Either way there are plenty of SOTYs who won with much less risky output.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2022, 09:02:36 AM »
Of course. That's why I wrote the risk is "comparatively low", not "zero". I'm simply stating that Nyjah is more skilled at what he does than others and can therefore manage spots with a higher danger factor and still have a lower or comparable risk factor. I can jaywalk without much risk because I can run if I need to. My fat and immobile dad can't and faces a much higher risk of getting run over. It's really not that difficult to grasp.

Let's not forget Tyshawn is skating some incredibly dangerous shit, people love to tell themselves he just skates around in circles on a basketball court. That 360 flip from ledge to ledge over a street gap of sharp swords for example is beyond hairball

scab

« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2022, 09:31:30 AM »
^Absolutely. The metro kickflip is actually a great example of what I mean. The absolute danger is enormous (touching the third rail), but Tyshawn is so great at clearing gaps that he is at a significantly lower risk than others would be. 

I don't want to make this whole thing about whose skating is more dangerous or risky though. If that was the deciding factor, we'd all be watching them dudes in these flying squirrel suits crashing into mountains. I just wanted to point out that most pros know what the fuck they're doing and take calculated risks. There would be a much larger body count if they "played with death" regularly.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2022, 09:43:07 AM »
I think you’re underestimating compression pants…..you think with Spider-Man it’s all just a radioactive bite?  It’s the pants bro…..if there’s anything we’ve learned from skating…..it’s the pants….

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2022, 10:02:02 AM »
People quoting his thrasher interview from years ago as a reason he doesn’t deserve to be soty now are amazing. Basically saying they don’t believe in rehabilitation or growth and current progress doesn’t count because of past mistakes.

All your legends were statutory rapists,bullies, homophobes but he has one dumb tough guy opinion as a kid and that invalidates his running this year?

What has he done to show that believes anything different than that quote? Has he supported girl skaters in any meaningful way? If he’s shown growth or rehabilitation, I’ll accept it.

My point is that we don’t need to celebrate terrible humans even if they’re highly skilled. But that happens all the time in sports.

Nice assumptions about who I might’ve looked up to. You don’t know me.

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »
Expand Quote
People quoting his thrasher interview from years ago as a reason he doesn’t deserve to be soty now are amazing. Basically saying they don’t believe in rehabilitation or growth and current progress doesn’t count because of past mistakes.

All your legends were statutory rapists,bullies, homophobes but he has one dumb tough guy opinion as a kid and that invalidates his running this year?
[close]

What has he done to show that believes anything different than that quote? Has he supported girl skaters in any meaningful way? If he’s shown growth or rehabilitation, I’ll accept it.

My point is that we don’t need to celebrate terrible humans even if they’re highly skilled. But that happens all the time in sports.

Well he apologized 9 years ago right after it happened.

“I want to apologize for the remarks I made in Thrasher about female skateboarders,” he wrote. “What I meant was that skateboarding is a gnarly sport, in general, and as someone who knows the wrath of the concrete all too well, I don’t like the thought of girls (like my little sister) getting hurt. My words were an inaccurate reflection of who I am; more importantly, they were disrespectful and I genuinely regret them.”

Who do you look up to? I don't think anyone should consider Nyjah a role model but I'd love to know the saints who are your heroes?
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Wandalumioshlomo

• Rep: -21
« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2022, 10:11:12 AM »
Tyshawn didn’t deserve SOTY the first time, he robbed Evan Smith of it, and as of now he doesn’t this time either. Popping over high obstacles takes skill but is way less risky than what Jah is doing. I’m hoping Louie or T-Funk come out swinging fucking hammers, but so far Nyjah has my vote. Never thought I’d say that but here we are.
omg not the Evan thing again. TJ´s stuff from this year is gnarly AF. Infinitely more stylish in every single way. It might be the year Ninejah takes it, and well deserved but plz just shut up about Evan Smith.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2022, 10:16:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Tyshawn didn’t deserve SOTY the first time, he robbed Evan Smith of it, and as of now he doesn’t this time either. Popping over high obstacles takes skill but is way less risky than what Jah is doing. I’m hoping Louie or T-Funk come out swinging fucking hammers, but so far Nyjah has my vote. Never thought I’d say that but here we are.
[close]
omg not the Evan thing again. TJ´s stuff from this year is gnarly AF. Infinitely more stylish in every single way. It might be the year Ninejah takes it, and well deserved but plz just shut up about Evan Smith.

Evan ate a turd. Phelps was correct not to give it to him.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mightytrucks

• Rep: -19
« Reply #252 on: November 29, 2022, 10:42:59 AM »
If Nyjah didn't heavily calculate his tricks, he could literally die skating the obstacles that he skates. This guy literally puts his neck on the line day in and day out.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2022, 10:58:24 AM »
Expand Quote
I hate this kook as much as the next guy, but now that I’ve had a chance to watch it a few times and let it sink in; holy fuck, Nyjah is easily the most skilled handrail skater of all time. He’s light years ahead of everyone else.
[close]

I don’t mean to single you out, but I keep seeing this sentiment posted here and uhhh, wasn’t this already obvious? Prior to yesterday’s video, was there anyone who suggest Nyjah wasn’t the best handrail skater in the history of skating, and he has been for like the past 15 or so years? I’m sorry, but I thought this was obvious and baked in to every conversation about Nyjah’s talent.
I think the difference is the filming/editing didn't immediately turn me off this time. It's far from perfect, but whenever Ty Evans does his thing, I immediately lose interest. I'll usually just skip to the last few bangers and never watch the part again. I felt like this one was a bit more tolerable to my pallet and I was able to watch it 2-3 times and appreciate it for what it was, top-tier rail chomping. I still prefer watching Yuto, Foy, and more styling rail skaters; but it's clear Nyjah is on another level skill-wise.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2022, 11:06:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The fact that Nyjah's "Need That" Nike SB part was released through Nike's Youtube channel and not exclusively through Thrasher tells you everything you need to know about his SOTY chances.
[close]

You’re probably onto something here, but wasn’t the part that sealed Jamie Foy’s SOTY from some weird Ty video that was released outside of Thrasher as well?
[close]

But Foy was part of the Thrasher inner circle. Nyjah isn't even on Spitfire.
[close]

Did you guys miss the part where thrasher puts a poll up and people vote?
[close]

The votes don't actually count (and that's a good thing?) or Nyjah would have won 10 times already. Dude has 5 million followers on instagram.
[close]

I seriously doubt the votes don’t matter, and I don’t think his name was even listed last couple of times. But the videos posted on Thrasher so it’s irrelevant anyway. Sure Nike just wanted first dibs.
[close]

As has been explained here by people who claim to know how it works (and why not, we know that there are skate industry insiders posting here), they count votes in the early rounds, but even then they don't let their favorites get knocked out. And the final selection is made by the editor, which is how Tyshawn won for a part that no one had seen.

not completely sure what you meant by that last sentence but Tyshawn's "Blessed" part had been out for weeks at the time and was even hosted on the Thrasher site for a 48/72 hour period shortly thereafter

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2022, 11:24:00 AM »
If Nyjah didn't heavily calculate his tricks, he could literally die skating the obstacles that he skates. This guy literally puts his neck on the line day in and day out.

he curates them though
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3361
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »
I'm not big on making somebody pay for something stupid they said for the rest of their lives, especially when they've apologized for it.
I used to do a lot of meth combined with a lot of GHB...if anyone had given two shits about who I was oh man I would have definitely said some interesting stuff during an interview.
Fortunately for me I was, and still am, a nobody.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: November 29, 2022, 12:03:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The fact that Nyjah's "Need That" Nike SB part was released through Nike's Youtube channel and not exclusively through Thrasher tells you everything you need to know about his SOTY chances.
[close]

You’re probably onto something here, but wasn’t the part that sealed Jamie Foy’s SOTY from some weird Ty video that was released outside of Thrasher as well?
[close]

[close]

[close]

The votes don't actually count (and that's a good thing?) or Nyjah would have won 10 times already. Dude has 5 million followers on instagram.
[close]

I seriously doubt the votes don’t matter, and I don’t think his name was even listed last couple of times. But the videos posted on Thrasher so it’s irrelevant anyway. Sure Nike just wanted first dibs.
[close]

As has been explained here by people who claim to know how it works (and why not, we know that there are skate industry insiders posting here), they count votes in the early rounds, but even then they don't let their favorites get knocked out. And the final selection is made by the editor, which is how Tyshawn won for a part that no one had seen.
[close]

not completely sure what you meant by that last sentence but Tyshawn's "Blessed" part had been out for weeks at the time and was even hosted on the Thrasher site for a 48/72 hour period shortly thereafter

I thought it was pretty clear, but I mean that it was not widely released before he won SOTY.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: November 29, 2022, 12:05:13 PM »
NGL I have no idea what the fuck anyone means when they say his tricks are "calculated". That makes absolutely no sense, obviously everyone calculates their tricks.

scab

« Reply #259 on: November 29, 2022, 12:10:30 PM »
^That's exactly what I was talking about. Everybody calculates their tricks, Nyjah simply does it on the highest level when it comes to rail skating. He knows what he's capable of and performs accordingly, not unlike his Nike athlete brethren.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #260 on: November 29, 2022, 12:11:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Search the apocrypha for this anecdote - Reynolds said Evan Smith turned down the SOTY honor because skating isn’t a competency

mightytrucks

• Rep: -19
« Reply #261 on: November 29, 2022, 12:13:12 PM »
NGL I have no idea what the fuck anyone means when they say his tricks are "calculated". That makes absolutely no sense, obviously everyone calculates their tricks.

To me it means precision. Practicing the trick for a long ass time till u got it dialed. Never saw anything wrong w/ it cuz thats how u end up w/ good style.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: November 29, 2022, 12:17:30 PM »

Thrasher promoting it here:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gPwA_gqp6-k

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -62
« Reply #263 on: November 29, 2022, 12:25:51 PM »
nyjah skates massive spots and does NBDs on big shit. Tyshawn skates flatground like 80% of his tricks. both skate in their underwear and have shit style.

Louie's cons part will remind us who really is the right choice.

veritas

« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2022, 12:34:55 PM »
If Evan won it they would have set a precedent for every SOTY having to chow down on a plate of dog turds every year to qualify

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »
nyjah skates massive spots and does NBDs on big shit. Tyshawn skates flatground like 80% of his tricks. both skate in their underwear and have shit style.

Louie's cons part will remind us who really is the right choice.

Louies cons part thread is going to be a 5 pages max with nothing but this comment "WOW SO GOOD" or "HE SHOUDL HAVE WON SOTY".

pbj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2022, 01:18:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I thought it was pretty clear, but I mean that it was not widely released before he won SOTY.

Apologies if you interpreted what I said as a critique but was just looking to clarify.
You said it "wasn't seen by anybody" which isn't necessarily true.
The video was available for weeks prior, just behind a paywall, which in the current landscape may be more atypical, but considering all of the trophy winners prior to the digital age, winning for a part not readily available online is not all that unusual (and is actually probably a good idea to incentivize people in supporting skate media rather than expecting it).

srsbsnss

• Rep: 10
« Reply #267 on: November 29, 2022, 01:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would say putting women on the team is a sign he’s grown. Idk if he pays his ams but Roos has been riding disorder for a while now.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: November 29, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Apologies if you interpreted what I said as a critique but was just looking to clarify.
You said it "wasn't seen by anybody" which isn't necessarily true.
The video was available for weeks prior, just behind a paywall, which in the current landscape may be more atypical, but considering all of the trophy winners prior to the digital age, winning for a part not readily available online is not all that unusual (and is actually probably a good idea to incentivize people in supporting skate media rather than expecting it).

Yes, so long as you ignore all precedent since ~2012, it makes perfect sense.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #269 on: November 29, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »
I'm not big on making somebody pay for something stupid they said for the rest of their lives, especially when they've apologized for it.
I used to do a lot of meth combined with a lot of GHB...if anyone had given two shits about who I was oh man I would have definitely said some interesting stuff during an interview.
Fortunately for me I was, and still am, a nobody.

you’re someone to me.