Author Topic: "If it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped"  (Read 4716 times)

frontsideNECKTIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Precision Posture
"If it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped"
« on: May 03, 2024, 03:07:06 PM »
Thought this might be a fun conversation.

There's the cliché/trope that if a spot can be ollied, it can be kickflipped.

Who are you drafting to kickflip any spot that's been ollied? Or who's the skater to best represent the concept?

Milton? Bachinsky? Reynolds? Westgate? Jaws?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Re: "If it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 03:20:12 PM »
I think Reynolds peaked at hucking kickflip years ago. Id say Bachinsky did too. Westgate and Milton still have some juice left but are probably winding down. I’d say younger guys like Tyshawn, Jaeb and Toby Ryan can probably kickflip a big gap or set.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 03:30:44 PM »
Jeremy Wray has famously said he "Ollies" first then kicks whether kick or heel, I can't remember where I saw hit but he basically said if it could be Ollied it could be Kickflipped. Anyone remember that?

Ninj2

• Rep: -93
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 03:52:54 PM »
It’s a cick flip and yeah anything possible and you stand in the shoulders of giants and pay attention to how things be and the way things have gone then yes. If you can Ollie it can you nollie it? That is the real question and the way people should think of a linear progress. Not like I give a fuck about that but if you playing martial arts Then do switch Ollie and fakie Ollie. Be well rounded like the drawing Leonardo DaVinci made of a man.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -282
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 03:58:33 PM »
Jeremy Wray has famously said he "Ollies" first then kicks whether kick or heel, I can't remember where I saw hit but he basically said if it could be Ollied it could be Kickflipped. Anyone remember that?

I do remember, Jenkem article maybe?

Ninj2

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 03:59:05 PM »
180s are easier then kickflips and also sometime easier then a straight Ollie. Especially in distance.

Ninj2

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 04:04:41 PM »
A lot of this kinda this or that and what is possible is also heavily influenced by spot. This is something that never gets talked about. Spots make tricks as much as you do.

Ninj2

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 04:06:46 PM »
It’s a trilogy and the only part you don’t need is a filmer. God is my filmer

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 04:20:21 PM »

quaintly

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 04:21:15 PM »

He definitely said he used  this theory from very early on . He’s mentioned it many times , and was one of the early pioneers of the massive gap kickflip.
look at his TWS check out and his ended in the colour video for confirmation (both ridiculous for the time ) .
Mike Sinclair also talked about it in his 9 club in the blockhead days

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 04:31:16 PM »
A lot of this kinda this or that and what is possible is also heavily influenced by spot. This is something that never gets talked about. Spots make tricks as much as you do.

True, but the bounds of possibility are always being pushed. Like Milton KF into the car wash, Gerwer down Wallenberg, etc and all of the sudden, kickflip becomes one of the easier tricks landed at the spot.

It always seems impossible until its done
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 04:47:18 PM »
Someone will kickflip China Banks before it’s gone.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 04:56:10 PM »
Found it

around 1:16:16

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 109
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 05:41:33 PM »
jordan trahan kickflips good

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 08:54:47 PM »
still cant believe bachinsky is the only one to have done a flip trick down el toro (no grab) after all these years

he stands alone

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 12:04:36 AM »
still cant believe bachinsky is the only one to have done a flip trick down el toro (no grab) after all these years

he stands alone
And with a fucking 7.5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2024, 12:24:06 AM »
the story of George dantzig (no relation to Efron) always gets me hype. legend has it he was late to a class lecture one day. because he was late, he missed his professor telling everyone that these 2 equations written on the board were impossible to solve. George, being late, didn’t catch that and thought those equations were homework. he wrote them down and later solved them, not aware they were “unsolvable”.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 01:01:12 AM »
I can see this being true for drops, but not for length (flat gaps) or height (pop).

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 01:24:40 AM »
TJ climbing the water tower...

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 01:32:49 AM »

kickflip this
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 03:22:27 AM »
There is a physical limit to kickflipping over something that can be ollied.

The kickflip needs the width of the deck/trucks to pass under the feet, while the Ollie just needs the height of the deck/wheels.

The width is longer than the height.

Therefore, if the height of the jump of the person is equal in all circumstances, it is impossible for the kickflip to pass over the same height of obstacle as an Ollie (at the person’s maximum height of obstacle clearance).

*see the Reese Forbes x Element Ollie Challenge photo above where Danny Wainwright is ollieing your face.

So, in fact, the statement “if you can Ollie it, you can kickflip it” is not true as there are circumstances in which it is false.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Rune Spliffberg

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2024, 04:01:33 AM »

The kickflip needs the width of the deck/trucks to pass under the feet, while the Ollie just needs the height of the deck/wheels.

Therefore, if the height of the jump of the person is equal in all circumstances, it is impossible for the kickflip to pass over the same height of obstacle as an Ollie (at the person’s maximum height of obstacle clearance).

*see the Reese Forbes x Element Ollie Challenge photo above where Danny Wainwright is ollieing your face.

So, in fact, the statement “if you can Ollie it, you can kickflip it” is not true as there are circumstances in which it is false.

focus nerd we're talking about sk8ing here

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 9
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2024, 05:13:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He's right though, you fuckin jabroni.

Rune Spliffberg

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2024, 05:20:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Actually, you fucking jabroni, he's wrong because if you time the kickflip correctly it will be horizontal over the obstacle, thereby negating the above argument.

Furthermore, one might argue that since the board will potentially be upside down over the obstacle when timed correctly, having the trucks out of the way, some obstacles may very well only be able to be kickflipped and not ollied over.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2024, 06:48:00 AM »
I don't even know if he can do one, but I'm picking Aurelien Giraud.  The thing is I don't think the bar is being collectively pushed in that way anymore...maybe like 20% capacity as it was 20 years ago.....I'm sort of glad....

stokelord

• Rep: 4
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2024, 07:29:33 AM »
Nobody needs to see Jaws grab another kickflip.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 129
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2024, 07:49:23 AM »
I don't even know if he can do one, but I'm picking Aurelien Giraud.  The thing is I don't think the bar is being collectively pushed in that way anymore...maybe like 20% capacity as it was 20 years ago.....I'm sort of glad....

It’s 2024. Skating is about seeing if you can wallie of some crumbling concrete over a puddle of piss into a dumpster while wearing $200 JNCO jeans. 👖

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 9
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2024, 07:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Actually, you fucking jabroni, he's wrong because if you time the kickflip correctly it will be horizontal over the obstacle, thereby negating the above argument.

Furthermore, one might argue that since the board will potentially be upside down over the obstacle when timed correctly, having the trucks out of the way, some obstacles may very well only be able to be kickflipped and not ollied over.

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2024, 08:13:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Excellent point Jobroseph,

There is indeed a flaw in the original posit. The board could indeed have some extra clearance with an upside down board.

Upon further reflection, I retract the previous statement and will agree that it seems to be true: theoretically “if it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped”.

*but I think it should be explored how much of an effect the foot drag assists with the extra height gained from ollieing.  Shall we suggest that a kickflip has as much drag and pull as an Ollie?

I’m not so sure.

Respectfully,
Focus Nerd

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2024, 08:21:54 AM »
I have a lot of faith in the one guy who was skating Tamp and ollied over the bump to bar from flat and the proceeded to kickflip from nose the cross rail from flat also

he does kickflips in a way that he’s still going up after he catches them