Author Topic: Griptape with laser-cut logos  (Read 2152 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Griptape with laser-cut logos
« on: August 28, 2020, 10:58:49 AM »
Some free griptape has laser-cut logos, which I'm not too keen on. Anyone else feel this way? I usually just grip the logo part too but you can still kind of see around it and that bothers me. Is there any way to get rid of this? Or maybe I'll have to do some creative grip taping which I don't usually bother with.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Griptape with laser-cut logos
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 11:03:12 AM »
Some free griptape has laser-cut logos, which I'm not too keen on. Anyone else feel this way? I usually just grip the logo part too but you can still kind of see around it and that bothers me. Is there any way to get rid of this? Or maybe I'll have to do some creative grip taping which I don't usually bother with.
the one time i had that sort of grip, i cut a square/rectangle around the logo and filled it in with smaller pieces of griptape. went crazy and cut out a starto fill the blank space
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
Hate that shit...sure it's free, if you 'advertise' - the worst is shit like Primitive grip, too much detail in the die-cut that it just ends up getting wrecked.

I cut the grip horizontally right above or below the die-cut, then flip the ends and grip with a thin line at the lower half/rear portion of the deck; have to really put the edges of the grip to the very tip of the nose or tail so you have enough coverage.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1081
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 01:43:41 PM »
Hate that shit...sure it's free, if you 'advertise' - the worst is shit like Primitive grip, too much detail in the die-cut that it just ends up getting wrecked.

I cut the grip horizontally right above or below the die-cut, then flip the ends and grip with a thin line at the lower half/rear portion of the deck; have to really put the edges of the grip to the very tip of the nose or tail so you have enough coverage.

#metoo

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »

+1.  And I usually do the same line just in front of the back trucks on all popsicle shaped decks whether the grip has a die-cut or not.

FUBAR

• Rep: 238
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »
The only laser cut grip I’ll roll with is from So Cal...that’s where I’m from and it’s a nice reminder when I look down before doing the next no-comply.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »
I make it a point to seek out totally blank, no die-cut grizzly (unfortunately zumiez is usually the easiest place to get it). When I get something that does have a die cut I try to get the smallest one possible (like the shake junt SJ logo) or I usually leave the diecut in. There are only two exceptions where I pop it out and don't hate it -

Classic grip

and

Flypaper

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
Imagine complaining about free grip.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 07:43:45 PM »

Nothing in life is free bud life is short and if you spend even an hour dealing with something you didn't want just because it's "free" you are a sheep.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 10:47:11 PM »
Isn't Jessup usually the free option in most cases? Ive never seen free die cut offered

Personally id rather just pay $5 for some mob than ride any grip that has graphics or die cuts. Ewww

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 12:08:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing in life is free bud life is short and if you spend even an hour dealing with something you didn't want just because it's "free" you are a sheep.
Then spend the $5 and shut the fuck up.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 12:28:13 AM »
The only die-cut griptape I’ve ever been hyped on was the Monkey Stix/Jungle grip that everyone rode in the early 2000’s. I’d probably rock some now out of nostalgia if I could find it
fuck you bama

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 06:45:29 AM »
Have you tried paradox grip? It’s made with geometry or crystals or something that make you skate better. They also have lots of weed graphics so it’s really a win win

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 11:59:18 AM »

Skatewarehouse die-cut grip easily removed using the above method.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Skatewarehouse die-cut grip easily removed using the above method.

Looking good. Gonna try that with my next deck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »
You also gripOver your bolts!
*internet high five*

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
*internet high five*
it doesnt seem like the case. just looks like he hasnt mounted the trucks yet
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 05:06:04 PM »
I always have rocked an h-street logo on the grip since 91. I grab one of these die cut sheets from h-street for $7 and apply it to a deck and the next deck I do black and cut out a square and add the h-st logo cutout I saved from the grip logo. Option to use the waxed paper as a stencil on a blank or whatever with spraypaint. I seem to like stuff not really in fashion here but H-Street has always been my fav company during my fav era and best logo and habit s heard to break

Then next deck

Then the attempt I made on shaping a pressing using as stencil. Did some fading with paint and came out clean with stencil

Just do what you like looking down at. Dont worry about whats in fashion, style has to be individualized

The shake junt and grizzly big logo I dont like. You can also fill in the cutouts with putting the cut outs where they fall out of and just removing adhesive

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 07:04:46 PM »
The H-street thing would seem like a good habit to break but to each theys own. You know H-street has a website where they sell skateboards and stickers and dye-cut grip, just FYI before you diy.
I just get the grip without anything on it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote
*internet high five*
[close]
it doesnt seem like the case. just looks like he hasnt mounted the trucks yet
damn, my old man eyes on my mobile phone 🙇‍♂️ Okay then, I guess I’m the only guy on here that grips over his bolts...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 09:37:40 PM »
I make it a point to seek out totally blank, no die-cut grizzly (unfortunately zumiez is usually the easiest place to get it). When I get something that does have a die cut I try to get the smallest one possible (like the shake junt SJ logo) or I usually leave the diecut in. There are only two exceptions where I pop it out and don't hate it -

Grizzly grip is actually pretty great, I too get it when blank is an option

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 09:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Grizzly grip is actually pretty great, I too get it when blank is an option

I'll pick blank grizzly  (no bear die-cut) if the only other options are ML or regular Jessup (I picked jessup recently, non-ultra, and the sheet is brittle/stiff as fuck making me not even want to apply it as it will probably just fall apart).

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »
I did not dislike my Indy die-cut mob.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

CrackWhore2000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 05:45:15 PM »

Flypaper

[/quote]

Been skating this since 1990. As far as I know they started that trend

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 12:08:44 AM »
The only laser cut grip I’ll roll with is from So Cal...that’s where I’m from and it’s a nice reminder when I look down before doing the next no-comply.

I've been able to craft "SLAP" from the letters that are peeling off the SocAL logo.  (P is made from C + O cut in half)

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 12:30:01 AM »
The H-street thing would seem like a good habit to break but to each theys own. You know H-street has a website where they sell skateboards and stickers and dye-cut grip, just FYI before you diy.
I just get the grip without anything on it.

Yes, that is the griptape you see

FUBAR

• Rep: 238
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 07:50:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been able to craft "SLAP" from the letters that are peeling off the SocAL logo.  (P is made from C + O cut in half)

Very rad

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 11:06:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shalom!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?