Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 107732 times)

typeischeap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #1560 on: February 29, 2024, 05:19:37 AM »
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1561 on: February 29, 2024, 07:43:54 AM »
https://primitiveskate.com/collections/frontpage/products/rodriguez-twin-nose-eagle-deck-ssp24?variant=40561822564414

Paul releasing a twin nose board on Primitive in 8.25" and 8.5"

you can see he makes a video about riding this board but it hasn't been available for sale until now (maybe it has before and I missed it)

he made another video here saying he actually decided to shrink it down to 8.125".

The problem with these videos is, he never actually tells you how long the nose is.
If I had to guess, it would be 7" - I think anything bigger would be silly and that is pretty standard size for Primitive nose as well.

I found one website that lists the wheelbase as 14.5" on the 8.5"
https://www.zumiez.ca/primitive-rodriguez-eagle-twin-8-5-skateboard-deck-ca.html

I would hope the wb is shorter on the 8.25" version - closer to what Paul rides I'd think.

anyone have any solid information about these decks? I am probably going to order one anyway.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1562 on: February 29, 2024, 08:45:48 AM »
https://primitiveskate.com/collections/decks-nav/products/rodriguez-twin-nose-eagle-deck-ssp24?variant=40561822564414

If they cleared out their warehouse and gave away a Tesla for this, then the wait is forgiven.

They haven't updated their shape guide / fitting guide to include the twin dimensions, looks like they recently added a 8.63 shape to the catalog

You get a glimpse of it when he's skating with Cole after the premiere, if they do it in their standard 8.25 dimensions, take the nose in and give it to the tail they'd be set.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:01:58 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1563 on: February 29, 2024, 03:42:59 PM »
Roger enters the chat with a 8.5x14.2 twin and wheel wells. Take my money...

https://nocomplyatx.com/collections/roger-skateboards/products/roger-skate-co-ryan-magic-mirror-skateboard-twin-tail-deck-8-5

I gotta quit checking this thread. I’ve got a pile of non twins I need to skate, but Roger coming through with the dimensions I want. Fucking finally. Not sure why Deathwish has been the only company offering an 8.5 twin with 14.25ish wb (dw is 14.28).

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1564 on: February 29, 2024, 04:41:39 PM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1565 on: February 29, 2024, 05:13:40 PM »
Expand Quote

I gotta quit checking this thread. I’ve got a pile of non twins I need to skate, but Roger coming through with the dimensions I want. Fucking finally. Not sure why Deathwish has been the only company offering an 8.5 twin with 14.25ish wb (dw is 14.28).

Toy Machine
https://toymachine.com/toy-machine-bury-the-hatchet-8-50-board-827059060799.html

Man, Primitive release the dims!

Edit 1: Width: 8.5" x Length: 32" x Wheelbase: 14.5" (from Primitive CS)
Edit 2: Width: 8.25" x Length: 31.85" x Wheelbase: 14"  (from Primitive CS)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 10:57:08 AM by Xen »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #1566 on: February 29, 2024, 09:52:21 PM »
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #1567 on: March 01, 2024, 01:09:19 AM »
I am riding these:

https://firstskateshop.com/en-eu/collections/superply/products/twin-tail-blank-deck

Made in Germany, also ship bulk:

https://quarterdist.com/

Wait so Poetic is made there in Germany not by Control as listed in the Woodshop thread? @Woodshop https://quarterdist.com/brands-eng/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1568 on: March 01, 2024, 01:57:39 AM »

Wait so Poetic is made there in Germany not by Control as listed in the Woodshop thread? @Woodshop https://quarterdist.com/brands-eng/

Thanks!

I will get things updated when I have a minute.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1569 on: March 01, 2024, 04:06:00 AM »

Wonder how's the quality
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1570 on: March 01, 2024, 07:06:54 AM »
https://primitiveskate.com/collections/decks-nav/products/rodriguez-twin-nose-eagle-deck-ssp24?variant=40561822564414

If they cleared out their warehouse and gave away a Tesla for this, then the wait is forgiven.

They haven't updated their shape guide / fitting guide to include the twin dimensions, looks like they recently added a 8.63 shape to the catalog

You get a glimpse of it when he's skating with Cole after the premiere, if they do it in their standard 8.25 dimensions, take the nose in and give it to the tail they'd be set.

the fitting guide doesnt even have the franky shape! and its been out for ages. But they also have a new egg shape (its on a franky gold board board + a bob marley board) out now at 8.75" and i believe this is actually going to be Kyonsuke's shape based off seeing what he was skating in that video. P Rod said that Dylan Jaeb was the one who came up with the twin nose in that first video i posted. i think they are super confused because now they dont know what to do because they have multiple entries at 8.25" and 8.5" so they are going to have to re-think that fitting guide.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1571 on: March 01, 2024, 09:08:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the fitting guide doesnt even have the franky shape! and its been out for ages. But they also have a new egg shape (its on a franky gold board board + a bob marley board) out now at 8.75" and i believe this is actually going to be Kyonsuke's shape based off seeing what he was skating in that video. P Rod said that Dylan Jaeb was the one who came up with the twin nose in that first video i posted. i think they are super confused because now they dont know what to do because they have multiple entries at 8.25" and 8.5" so they are going to have to re-think that fitting guide.

I'm sure they have a graphic designer and web guy in-house, shouldn't take them too long right? Right?

Thought I'd make a list of brands with twins and by size for reference, I'll start but feel free to chip in.

Real
Chocolate
Glider

Glider

Real
Girl
Chocolate
Habitat
Santa Cruz
Deathwish
Opera
Toy Machine
Glider

Real
Krooked
Habitat
Alien Workshop
Quasi
Glider

Real
Habitat
Santa Cruz
Welcome
Heroin
Toy Machine
Glider
Roger

Real
Heroin

9.0 <
Heroin

Off the top of my head at 1am.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1572 on: March 01, 2024, 11:00:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Toy Machine
https://toymachine.com/toy-machine-bury-the-hatchet-8-50-board-827059060799.html

The 8.25 Primitives are the only 14" WB I can ride for some reason so I might give it a try...it is shorter by a hair (the 8.25" is usually 31.875") so I'm gonna guess they pulled the nose in a bit and extended the tail a bit putting them around 6.9" kicks.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:45:02 AM by Xen »

input

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1573 on: March 01, 2024, 02:59:25 PM »
I am riding these:

https://firstskateshop.com/en-eu/collections/superply/products/twin-tail-blank-deck

Made in Germany, also ship bulk:

https://quarterdist.com/

Just a small headsup but the wording on the production page makes it sound like the boards themselves are not actually constructed in house.
We source the blank decks from factories with decades of experience in production and development.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #1574 on: March 01, 2024, 03:13:24 PM »

Updated.

I was trying to find out where / when things might have changed, but I think it could have been last year, 2023 with Quarter increasing their business and taking on some local accounts, as well as Blast Skates when Gnosis woodshop closed.

That's about all I have to go on, but either way, it is always good to have the list as current as possible, as most of the brands would never provide a lot of info.

Just a small headsup but the wording on the production page makes it sound like the boards themselves are not actually constructed in house.
We source the blank decks from factories with decades of experience in production and development.

Yeah they import bulk boards from China, which is not a bad thing, given they don't try to cover it up or hide the fact that they don't make the boards themselves.

Some of those Blast Skates boards are pretty cool shapes too, which is interesting to see, but people who have skated them say they are good boards, or good enough not to worry.

:)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #1575 on: March 02, 2024, 05:47:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Updated.

I was trying to find out where / when things might have changed, but I think it could have been last year, 2023 with Quarter increasing their business and taking on some local accounts, as well as Blast Skates when Gnosis woodshop closed.

That's about all I have to go on, but either way, it is always good to have the list as current as possible, as most of the brands would never provide a lot of info.

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah they import bulk boards from China, which is not a bad thing, given they don't try to cover it up or hide the fact that they don't make the boards themselves.

Some of those Blast Skates boards are pretty cool shapes too, which is interesting to see, but people who have skated them say they are good boards, or good enough not to worry.

:)

The quality of the blanks is second to none. I will report on the Blast once I have deflowered it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #1576 on: March 02, 2024, 04:19:19 PM »
Not sure if they’ve been posted, but Santa Cruz has some twin tails for McCoy and Asta:

https://www.tactics.com/santa-cruz/mccoy-cosmic-84-twin-shape-skateboard-deck

https://www.tactics.com/santa-cruz/asta-cosmic-82-twin-shape-skateboard-deck

I have an 8.25 VX McCoy that’s a twin. But I’ve never seen that 8.4 one 🤔

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1577 on: March 02, 2024, 06:21:54 PM »
Just one page back my dude...

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #1578 on: March 02, 2024, 06:23:20 PM »
Just one page back my dude...
Ah okay 😅

My bad.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1579 on: March 02, 2024, 07:43:17 PM »

I'm sure they have a graphic designer and web guy in-house, shouldn't take them too long right? Right?

Thought I'd make a list of brands with twins and by size for reference, I'll start but feel free to chip in.

Off the top of my head at 1am.

Girl/Chocolate makes a twin 8.5 also
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1580 on: March 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Chocolate Roberts twin tip 8.5 shape? I usually skate BBS 8.5s on Indys (14.5 x 32.2 specs) soooo my questions lie here:

Is there that excessive fingers of flat Crail is known for?

Is the WB manageable with Indys or is it too long or short?

Is the concave mellower or more full bodied like most BBS 8.5s?

Are the kicks steeper in angle or mellower?

I have some Venture 5.8s and Thunder 151s I'm considering breaking my Indy streak with if either work well with the Crob twin tip. I'm 5' 10" and mostly legs so that's why I prefer 14.25 - 14.5 WB. Thanks!!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1581 on: March 02, 2024, 08:32:08 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Chocolate Roberts twin tip 8.5 shape? I usually skate BBS 8.5s on Indys (14.5 x 32.2 specs) soooo my questions lie here:

I have some Venture 5.8s and Thunder 151s I'm considering breaking my Indy streak with if either work well with the Crob twin tip. I'm 5' 10" and mostly legs so that's why I prefer 14.25 - 14.5 WB. Thanks!!

YMMV but I tried the 8.25 (they're essentially the same barring width of course) and tried every truck combo I could but that 14" WB -  I just can't do it - I've since moved on to 14.3x or 14.5 wb...the best feeling trucks were 5.8s with forged plates....but it was still too cramped.

Fingers of flat was not as crazy as their regular shapes and the concave felt about the same as other crail boards but perhaps slightly less kick angle more mellow but that might be due to kick length (last one I skated other than the akins was a go27, shorter tail)?

One thing I noticed, that made go check my other boards was how heavy the 8.25 twin was...checked my 8.5 Akins...each one was heavier than any like sized board I had...in fact, the 8.25 crail twin was significantly heavier than my 8.5x32" toy machine twin...and I mean there was a huge difference both in hand and riding them (using the same venture and wheel combo); I never noticed they were so chunky...hell even BBS feels heavy and dull compared to PS to me now.

Side note: g096/go69 are no longer listed under the shape guide....weird.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:00:50 PM by Xen »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1582 on: March 02, 2024, 09:19:10 PM »

I've post about my love for that shape a number of times. Xen always has a good write up, but we differ on WB preferences.

The 14" wb really pulls the shape together for me. Felt strange on the first sesh, but by the second I had nice and consistent feel. I run it with Indy 149s and it always feels great under my feet.

I agree that it is overall on the mellower side, to me there's a beautiful amount of concave and tail pitch. Might get sorta weird on bigger wheels, but I've only skated 54mm on it so can't really say.

I love how blocky the tips are.

I had the same questions/reservations, but it's definitely worth trying imo. I'd grab the crail sale box, get a shape you know you like and ask for the twin tip as the second deck.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1583 on: March 03, 2024, 01:21:52 AM »
Gnarred both of you!

Appreciate the feedback! It's all good info, and I'm happy to hear positive reviews.  Exactly what's bringing me to try it because I remember reading and seeing that here and on IG/YT from people trying them.

I'm slightly worried about the 14" WB because I already tried the Couch 9.25 shaped deck on 159s, but it felt a lil cramped and not as stable with speed. Tre flips spun like a dream, but everything else felt off. Too many fingers of flat so nose and tail slides never locked in right. Manuals were inconsistent. Not enough length/heft for my inseam (about 32") is what I figured.

If the G096 can remedy most of those previous issues via fewer fingers of flat, not be as cramped, and work well with Thunder or Venture (assuming I like either after Indy for 13 years straight) then I'm hopeful. If anything, I can always learn to like it on Indys and fight my learned preferences

My wheel preference sits between 52 and 54 SF F4 Conical/Conical Full, so they'll likely work just fine

Sale box may be the way to try them, sweet! I don't remember what other shapes I like from Crail since the last time I enjoyed their decks was 2007-2009 on Thunders or Royals probably
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1584 on: March 03, 2024, 09:00:02 AM »
You could always try the toy machine or Deathwish Foy twins.

boneless900

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1585 on: March 03, 2024, 10:15:43 AM »
I think I'm gonna try the deathwish foy twin but I wanna redrill an old g096 +.25 on each side for a 14.5 wheelbase.

Real weird that the g096/69 have been unlisted from the shape guide. Maybe they're making adjustments to the mold or taking the shapes off for the season?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 06:53:56 PM by boneless900 »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1586 on: March 03, 2024, 05:34:54 PM »

I looked at the Foy in a shop yesterday and it looked okay! Baker/Deathwish have this weirdly pointed nose on most of their shapes. I know people like it, but I never did since i prefer rounder, fuller noses usually. Which is why I ask about Chocolate, since they've always had that general shape, even on their recent twins.

Otherwise, specs on Real and DW twins for 8.5 do seem more than adequate for me to enjoy skating.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1587 on: March 03, 2024, 09:46:32 PM »
That’s the thing about about the Foy that I really liked it’s not that Baker pointy tip (I can't stand it or DLXs pointy-ness on some of their boards), but I fully expect  the Baker Twin to be pointy; its also the reason I never jelled with the B16.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:02:30 PM by Xen »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1588 on: March 04, 2024, 08:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Toy Machine

[close]

The 8.25 Primitives are the only 14" WB I can ride for some reason so I might give it a try...it is shorter by a hair (the 8.25" is usually 31.875") so I'm gonna guess they pulled the nose in a bit and extended the tail a bit putting them around 6.9" kicks.

thanks for getting this info :)
8.25" one sounds so good on ventures.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1589 on: March 05, 2024, 11:22:45 PM »
Damn, Craig ships quick!  I requested two 8.5 twin tips thinking I'd get only one and a G033 but got both G096 in both colors (white/black & black/white) with that 2 x $80 box.  ;D

I'm impressed with the shape and lack of fingers of flat (other Crail shapes have too much for me). I think I'm gonna enjoy skating these just from the look down factor. That said, kick steepness is not as much as the BBS I usually skate, but I think I'll manage.

I have Thunder 151 and Venture 5.8 (I've never skated Ventures, except trying a friend's board once), so I haven't decided which of these to try. My 149 Indys will make it too short of a WB for me. Decisions Decisions  ???
Super Champion Fun Zone