Author Topic: BOYS OF SUMMER II  (Read 32694 times)

Getty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Re: BOYS OF SUMMER II
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2019, 12:59:24 PM »
This one felt like it involved sitting through a lot of really mediocre skateboarding to get to the few parts worth watching. Agreed with whoever said the rewatch value of this one is waaay below the first one.

Why are people filming Atiba? I'm genuinely confused. There was way too much of him.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 23
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »
I have an almost pathological hatred of Atiba Jefferson and his section must be the longest in the whole video? I can't believe they wasted that beautiful Tom Petty song on him too.

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2019, 01:13:16 PM »
it's actually insane how much better AVE looks on a skateboard than 80% of current pros. every one of his clips got me juiced

same

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
Got off work at 6. Ate, went to the hotel, took a shower, bought two pilsners and watched this. All in all, it was a great day.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That Mariano tailslide kf out from an ancient Blind ad is in there. Crazy.
[close]
guy was 16 or so, super crazy
[close]
Insane that a clip that fucked from that era Guy wasn't used..
if it was for an ad maybe the pic took precedence over the clip, plus back then there was no alternative platform to watch it (eg instagram/youtube). grateful to see it here tho! who would've filmed that anyway, socrates?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:33:58 PM by huggs »

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
One of the biggest highlights for me was that they credited Sean Pablo as Swan before the FA part started.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
I thought AO was over it, but he still looks solid on a board. Hope he's saving more stuff for the 917 video.
Is there another 917 video coming that I don’t know about?

Marv

• Rep: 101
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2019, 02:06:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That Mariano tailslide kf out from an ancient Blind ad is in there. Crazy.
[close]
guy was 16 or so, super crazy
[close]
Insane that a clip that fucked from that era Guy wasn't used..
[close]
if it was for an ad maybe the pic took precedence over the clip, plus back then there was no alternative platform to watch it (eg instagram/youtube). grateful to see it here tho! who would've filmed that anyway, socrates?

It was in one of my old Big Brother mags when they ran sequences from vid grabs. Big brother number 5 maybe. It was mentioned in some chrome ball interview that the footage might have been lost.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2019, 02:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
I thought AO was over it, but he still looks solid on a board. Hope he's saving more stuff for the 917 video.
[close]
Is there another 917 video coming that I don’t know about?
I think it was mentioned in passing in the Aiden of 917 thread. Slated to come out sometime this year, if I'm not wrong?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Get the strap

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »
Looking forward to a re-edit, or IG clips, lots of dope skating, although I did skim through a lot of it...Their sarcasm with the movie clips and mainstream soundtrack was just a flop for me.

I thought it was funny how much footy was at the art school on Cesar Chavez. They filmed it pretty good. I want to watch it again, and I probably will, but so much of it I thought was super dumb. I guess you're supposed to laugh at how dumb it is. Montage aspect was also a major buzz kill. Overall too much emphasis on editing which I think anybody could duplicate. Skating was sick tho.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2019, 03:32:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
spanky's re-emergence has to be one of skating's best timelines the last half decade, dude looks reinvigorated and happy

some great jerry footage too, real shame there's never gonna be a chocolate part from him
[close]

Spankys insta posts lately have been on point too. Solid skating and great trick selection. I rewatched baker has a deathwish recently and realized it’s kind of a precursor to the whole wallie grind trend now with him mostly skating weird barriers and stuff.
[close]
His Baker 3 part especially seems ahead of a few trends in hindsight.

People talk about the storm flip a lot, but it doesn't get brought up enough how weird it is that Jerry Hsu did a bluntslide nosegrab to fakie, just thrown in the middle of his Black Cat part. Cool to see him do another one, and his fakie flips are my favorite.
[close]

iirc spankys baker 3 part didn’t have a single 360 flip either . Wild.

Now I gotta go rewatch all of Jerry’s old footage too. His stuff in this was so good. I really hope we get one more full part out of him.
I don't know how one of the big corporate shoes hasn't scooped him up. I'd hope they do. He's a legend, still puts out good stuff. Also might allow him to expand Sci-Fi fantasy into a board brand.

Adidas, Nike and NB# be sleeping.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
spanky's re-emergence has to be one of skating's best timelines the last half decade, dude looks reinvigorated and happy

some great jerry footage too, real shame there's never gonna be a chocolate part from him
[close]

Spankys insta posts lately have been on point too. Solid skating and great trick selection. I rewatched baker has a deathwish recently and realized it’s kind of a precursor to the whole wallie grind trend now with him mostly skating weird barriers and stuff.
[close]

People talk about the storm flip a lot, but it doesn't get brought up enough how weird it is that Jerry Hsu did a bluntslide nosegrab to fakie, just thrown in the middle of his Black Cat part. Cool to see him do another one, and his fakie flips are my favorite.
[close]

Now I gotta go rewatch all of Jerry’s old footage too. His stuff in this was so good. I really hope we get one more full part out of him.
[close]
I don't know how one of the big corporate shoes hasn't scooped him up. I'd hope they do. He's a legend, still puts out good stuff. Also might allow him to expand Sci-Fi fantasy into a board brand.

nike wanted jerry years and years ago, pre-emerica, but he just wasn't into it. i'd back jerry in some blazer lows though.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
Worth the wait, two thumbs up. Definitely welcome viewing in the middle of this freezing winter.

Tailslide kickflip transfer footage was absurd. So was Baca's "slappy" noseslide. I really like that Santi kid as well, despite the ugly hair.

honey island, which clip was yours?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

nike wanted jerry years and years ago, pre-emerica, but he just wasn't into it. i'd back jerry in some blazer lows though.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Let him wear his vans old schools, seeing him in nikes would crush my fragile heart - I’m sure he’s just as content not “getting paid”

Little Debbie

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
a re-edit of all the good HPX footage would be super. some stagnant moments, but overall a lot of good shit.

i burst out laughing at that clip of Swan ironing some clothes with a towel around his head. he and Aidan have definitely grown on me in the last year or so

*Logan has my favorite scene file settings, period. on a second or third watch, you can really tell that he did film a lot of this. to me, still the most enigmatic man in skating by far <3
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:51:53 PM by Little Debbie »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I feel this was mentioned on his Epicly Later'd. Talked about the questionnaire they sent him. Nike may be different in how its run now with Scuba the main TM.

I just want the guy to get a solid paycheck, although, it seems Sci-Fi fantasy is doing well. Many other "legacy" skaters are getting solid checks, who have less of a legacy than Jerry in my opinion and don't produce much.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
They also put people's footage throughout the video this time, instead of in one of the edits.
[close]

One of my most hated editing practices that people do now. I want everyone's footage to be in one spot to feast on. I fucking hate it.

But I still loved the video. Rowan is amazing. And it's unbelievable the types of tricks the Jeffersons can do but can't seem to go faster than a snail's pace or tic tac out of everything.
It drives me a bit crazy too. Although, it can work really well when done properly like in Roll Up. Although, I with more videos atleast showed the guys names when skating. I have a nightmare telling who is who sometimes.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »
Alex Olson is still one of the best out
Bacas wallride noseslide in the ditch was bonkers
McCrank really late frontside halfcab disaster was sweet
Torn between whether this is the best or the worst music ever in a skate video.  Could be both.

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
Baca Comeback for Baker 4 on the cards

Spanky, Hsu, AO and McCrank were highlights... weirdly enough swan pablo has stepped up his game a bit too

Wasn't the Hsu ender shown like 5 mins before the ender but?

ungzilla

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »
wouldn't a simpler explanation than them showing it twice be that it was actually mirrored footage of him doing it regular on the other side of the ditch

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »
Best soundtrack to a skate video period.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »
wouldn't a simpler explanation than them showing it twice be that it was actually mirrored footage of him doing it regular on the other side of the ditch

Touche'

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2019, 08:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Who is this angel?
[close]

that's charlie, she's def an angel.

does she still film? is she involved with sci-fi? i always see her around and am curious what she does.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2019, 08:12:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Who is this angel?
[close]

that's charlie, she's def an angel.
[close]

does she still film? is she involved with sci-fi? i always see her around and am curious what she does.

she works at supreme, and helps with packing orders for jerry. she makes some shit too, some sort of welding or art, who the fuck knows.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:13:47 PM by honey island »

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -602
  • who knows
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
vid is sick i like the editing surprisingly.

at the risk of being/sounding like a jackass how or what even is this crew?  who films it?  who is the invisible hand here?  who profits from the clothes?
where is home?

honey island

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »

at the risk of being/sounding like a jackass how or what even is this crew?  who films it?  who is the invisible hand here?  who profits from the clothes?

it basically all came from jeff kutter working at the supreme store, and being friends with everyone there, and who ever would come in. logan lara films a lot of it, and jeff films all the phone clips. supreme helps out.i love jeff for two reasons, doing these videos, and helped bring down aaron bondaroff.

Larry Dallas

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »
Loved it.  Completely antithetical to Strobeck with Blessed.  Feel good video of the year. It doesn't need to be serious.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2019, 11:25:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it basically all came from jeff kutter working at the supreme store, and being friends with everyone there, and who ever would come in. logan lara films a lot of it, and jeff films all the phone clips. supreme helps out.i love jeff for two reasons, doing these videos, and helped bring down aaron bondaroff.

Oh shit, I remember reading that story but I didn't realize that was the same Jeff. Good for him.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2019, 05:40:27 AM »
After rewatching last night  I’m stoked on the Baca clips. I hope he has a full part in baker 4

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2019, 06:11:51 AM »
So after getting through the whole thing, Rowan is my new favorite not old guy.  I don't get him on Baker at all though he doesn't skate anything like those dudes.