Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187774 times)

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1290 on: July 07, 2022, 03:13:01 AM »
I guess my idea of ‘frat boys’ is 30 years old. The current frat boys drink monster and are into ‘extreme sports’, and wear DC shoes, I guess.

That idea is surely also at least 10 years out
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1291 on: July 07, 2022, 05:48:06 AM »
Talking about DC, my possibly unpopular opinion is that their shoes are underrated and some of the best quality skate shoes available. I don't think they're cool or even super good looking, but just really really good shoes. Great cushioning (cupsoles only), shapes, flick, durability. Even the shitty looking cheap ones. I bought like 5 pairs in their last -50% sale and was amazed by how good they were. Currently skating the kalis vulc s. Terrible cushioning, but amazing grip, flick and durability so far.

newguy

« Reply #1292 on: July 07, 2022, 05:58:53 AM »
Talking about DC, my possibly unpopular opinion is that their shoes are underrated and some of the best quality skate shoes available. I don't think they're cool or even super good looking, but just really really good shoes. Great cushioning (cupsoles only), shapes, flick, durability. Even the shitty looking cheap ones. I bought like 5 pairs in their last -50% sale and was amazed by how good they were. Currently skating the kalis vulc s. Terrible cushioning, but amazing grip, flick and durability so far.

I skate with DC navigators (hiking shoe) and can confirm their shoes are great

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1293 on: July 07, 2022, 06:06:16 AM »
C’mon…..say Antihero you chicken shit…..

https://www.confuzine.com/2013/11/10/hermanns-hole-diy-missouri/

They said in Thrasher they “lit it up like Vietnam” and that’s what they did. It was like an attack of coked out gremlins. Those guys sucked. The weekend was great until the black thrasher cloud rolled in. They acted like a bunch of asshole – tough guys with something to prove. Or more like pirates!!! Fires, graffiti, beers tossed into the bowls, trash, girlfriend snatching, fighting my friends, shit talking and just pure disrespect. I will never allow any of those thrasher guys, Antihero, Grant Taylor, etc. back to my place again. They are very unwelcome!!! It’s was like an attack of terrorism. No thank you Thrasher. And your music sucks too!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #1294 on: July 07, 2022, 06:08:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd say not too unpopular these days but DC was very unpopular from about 06-16 and during this time I think they genuinely made the best shoes you could get. Cole lite 1&2, Mike Mo's, Kalis centric all the best and would get wtf looks from the average skater. Also they had a vulc shoe called the Bristol/tonik (don't know why it had two names) which sort of worked when it was hard to get gravis. Altho I never wore the gravis with the proper insoles so hard to have a fair comparison. DCs lasted way longer at least.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1295 on: July 07, 2022, 06:53:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'd say not too unpopular these days but DC was very unpopular from about 06-16 and during this time I think they genuinely made the best shoes you could get. Cole lite 1&2, Mike Mo's, Kalis centric all the best and would get wtf looks from the average skater. Also they had a vulc shoe called the Bristol/tonik (don't know why it had two names) which sort of worked when it was hard to get gravis. Altho I never wore the gravis with the proper insoles so hard to have a fair comparison. DCs lasted way longer at least.

Berra ruined DC with his Steinbrenner mentality.

The shoes are actually great and I’m glad they’re “back.” One of my friends swears by the new Manteca.

I’ll skate Jahmir’s shoe for as long as one is on the market.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #1296 on: July 07, 2022, 08:13:38 AM »
Okay. Antihero is also a frat boy team. Any team whose whole schtick is “oOoOo we’re bad boy outlaws” comes across as, ironically, extremely frat to me. It’s like, you’re trying to be the badass gatekeepers of skateboarding by acting exactly like the people I started skating to avoid. Whatever.

Maybe it’s different nowadays, but I never got that vibe from any of the guys that rode for anti hero, the way they tear up parks is intimidating but in a good way. But as far as talking to any of their pros they were sort of quite but none the less really nice guys actually…
//////////

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #1297 on: July 07, 2022, 09:18:26 AM »
Antihero being holier than thou about yuppies in SF while collabing with Supreme every two years is hypocritical
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #1298 on: July 07, 2022, 09:58:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Okay. Antihero is also a frat boy team. Any team whose whole schtick is “oOoOo we’re bad boy outlaws” comes across as, ironically, extremely frat to me. It’s like, you’re trying to be the badass gatekeepers of skateboarding by acting exactly like the people I started skating to avoid. Whatever.
[close]

Maybe it’s different nowadays, but I never got that vibe from any of the guys that rode for anti hero, the way they tear up parks is intimidating but in a good way. But as far as talking to any of their pros they were sort of quite but none the less really nice guys actually…
Cardiel Grant and Julien are all actually super nice, cool people, I have heard Pfanner is as well.  They're an older version of "skaters" that doesn't work for a lot of Slap who mockingly yells "heLlRiDe" if a guy has a beer at the session or is reserved around you.  And they kinda are the badass gatekeepers of skating.  The frat team is without a doubt Plan B. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1147
« Reply #1299 on: July 07, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like my brain would melt if I ever saw them skating in person.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #1300 on: July 07, 2022, 01:24:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel like my brain would melt if I ever saw them skating in person.

my brain melted seeing rayborn in person, I would implode if I saw some real heshian mobilization in the deep murky depths of the concrete valleys.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

work_lurker

• Rep: 97
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1301 on: July 07, 2022, 01:43:20 PM »
Maybe it's generational, but twisting out of slides the hard way should be called a Watson, not a Suciu.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1302 on: July 07, 2022, 02:35:29 PM »
Antihero being holier than thou about yuppies in SF while collabing with Supreme every two years is hypocritical

Yeah I agree

Shame

Waves

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1303 on: July 07, 2022, 06:46:56 PM »
There are no 'illegal' tricks. Most 'illegal' tricks are done by kids/newbies, let them just be stoked they did something, this shit is supposed to be fun.

There's nothing wrong with wearing a helmet but it just looks odd to me on street clips.

Agree with the board size not being a huge difference thing.

Skateboarding is not as 'counter culture' as many claim it to be.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1304 on: July 07, 2022, 10:31:14 PM »
Expand Quote
ride on tricks have always been pussy. there I said it.
[close]

While I’m here, cannot stand watching Cookie skate.  Skateboarding isn’t only about looking cool.. but he’s so painfully uncool and his bow legged style so bad that his incredible skill is soured.

Dude thank you. He’s such an eyesore to me that I don’t even bother registering his skating.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #1305 on: July 07, 2022, 10:42:49 PM »
It’s awesome you’re coming clean on hating cookie….braving the wrath of cookie fans around the world….people who live by mantra that c is for cookie and cookie is for me…..

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1306 on: July 07, 2022, 11:04:17 PM »
Cookie is the best out there. Bow legged style? Can you give me an example?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1307 on: July 08, 2022, 02:32:34 AM »
Cookie is the best out there. Bow legged style? Can you give me an example?

well you can't ignore his leg posture. sorta cowboy on a horse landings
I kinda ignored him in the first place because of that but that was a huge mistake.
I'm now convinced this guy is extremely skilled, can do anything, seems like a great guy and fucks with Worble.
And with the right pants it's all good

It's always about the pants

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1308 on: July 08, 2022, 04:33:27 AM »
He looks like a tv weatherman to me.  I don’t mean that as an insult or a compliment.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

JRF

« Reply #1309 on: July 08, 2022, 04:55:04 AM »
Maybe it's generational, but twisting out of slides the hard way should be called a Watson, not a Suciu.

Or just call it a pretzel out. But Carl’s frontside nose slide 270’s are so beautiful
//////////

IpathCats

« Reply #1310 on: July 08, 2022, 07:07:38 AM »
The Creature team acts exactly like college frat boys.

Disagree, they're too dirty and burnt out. And I don't think they do any of what they do in order to get chicks. I think a more appropriate comparison would be Palace, partyboy coolguys. but idk, even that is a stretch. I dont really get super caucasian, sperry wearing, vinyard vines vibes from any skate team really.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1311 on: July 08, 2022, 07:22:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Disagree, they're too dirty and burnt out. And I don't think they do any of what they do in order to get chicks. I think a more appropriate comparison would be Palace, partyboy coolguys. but idk, even that is a stretch. I dont really get super caucasian, sperry wearing, vinyard vines vibes from any skate team really.

SOVRN kinda, if that still exists.

BoredSlide816

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1312 on: July 08, 2022, 09:14:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess I was thinking more like aggro party jock “CHUG CHUG CHUG” type frat boys than pampered rich boy frat boys.

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1313 on: July 08, 2022, 11:16:38 AM »
Take a shot for every vague stereotype you make.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
« Reply #1314 on: July 08, 2022, 12:14:50 PM »

You tryna kill us or some shit??

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #1315 on: July 08, 2022, 03:07:43 PM »
im gettin drunker than a bunch of different cultures and ethnicities

JRF

« Reply #1316 on: July 08, 2022, 06:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Cardiel Grant and Julien are all actually super nice, cool people, I have heard Pfanner is as well.  They're an older version of "skaters" that doesn't work for a lot of Slap who mockingly yells "heLlRiDe" if a guy has a beer at the session or is reserved around you.  And they kinda are the badass gatekeepers of skating.  The frat team is without a doubt Plan B.

For sure, I met grant 6 or so years ago and he was super chill. Cardiel was always nice to me too, julien is just quiet but a super chill dude.
//////////

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #1317 on: July 08, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
One time I was playing intramural ultimate and Chad was actually cool as fuck to me…….I’m just saying…..

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1318 on: July 09, 2022, 04:39:39 AM »
I also didnt like Cookie at first. Nicknames in skating are usually a huge turn off. The name Cookie paired with this extrem boring looking guy who seemed like 35 from the start was just too much.

Now I am a fan.

JRF

« Reply #1319 on: July 09, 2022, 11:04:20 AM »
Is also “cookie” talk referring to Darren “cookiehead” Jenkins”?
//////////