Author Topic: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On  (Read 720796 times)

theresnothinghere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
Re: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On
« Reply #5460 on: March 12, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
I have to drive 14 hours to go to an interview in LA tomorrow morning and be back by tomorrow night so I can go to work the next day. I'll be driving alone and I think it will be a good opportunity but I'm going to be exhausted beyond belief.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5461 on: March 12, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
^Good Luck
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #5462 on: March 12, 2019, 07:06:45 PM »
Yeah good luck. Be sure to steal a lot of music tonight, and probably download some audiobooks off audible too.

Maybe hit up johnes to overnight you like a half onion of some dank kratom too?

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #5463 on: March 12, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »
Haha, my partner is straight up ADDICTED to that shit. Might steal some of it.

Borrowing a friend's car and he has a phone plug in, will definitely be listening to some podcasts and music playlists.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #5464 on: March 12, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »
I have to drive 14 hours to go to an interview in LA tomorrow morning and be back by tomorrow night so I can go to work the next day. I'll be driving alone and I think it will be a good opportunity but I'm going to be exhausted beyond belief.

Good luck, hopefully you get the gig!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Broke up with my girlfriend
[close]
so your stoked you broke up with her but not stoked to be single or not stoked to  break up with her but stoked to be single ?
[close]

I’m guessing stoked it’s over, not stoked to be alone.

Either way, I hear bumble is fun or Grindr. Your choice
Stoked on the fact that I wasn't happy anymore and half-assing it. While she was trying her hardest. Not stoked on being the person doing the dumping and how mellow I've been about the whole thing.

As for dating, gonna try to be single for a bit and just spend time on myself
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5465 on: March 12, 2019, 11:54:42 PM »
As for dating, gonna try to be single for a bit and just spend time on myself

im reading this wrong but im probably right
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #5466 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
I'm officially out of social media. I'm still craving for the gram, but the extra free time is appreciated... Unless I'm not in a mental position to, say, read.

I focused Facebook some years ago, and didn't miss it, other than the event feature. But I miss looking at the pretty pictures, even though they made me feel inadequate, horny, judgmental, and made me want to buy shit all the time.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5467 on: March 14, 2019, 06:44:43 AM »
someone just bought one of my wall boards for 250 .. it’s a good profit but it was my favorite deck ever fuck

ungzilla

« Reply #5468 on: March 14, 2019, 07:02:24 AM »
what was it?

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5469 on: March 14, 2019, 07:53:21 AM »
idk how to post images anymore but it’s a paisley deck with a sean cliver graphic of prince on morrissey’s shoulders in like 50s bathing suits tandem surfing

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5470 on: March 14, 2019, 08:19:10 AM »
What do you think would be a reasonable price to put up for this board in this condition on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WORLD-INDUSTRIES-ROB-SLUGGO-BOYCE-VELVET-SKATEBOARD/233149199455?hash=item3648c6745f:g:PF8AAOSwaAtcdy23

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5471 on: March 14, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
idk how to post images anymore but it’s a paisley deck with a sean cliver graphic of prince on morrissey’s shoulders in like 50s bathing suits tandem surfing

Shaped slick right? That was a good one. Never saw it in the stores. Congrats for having it for a time.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #5472 on: March 14, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
A dude contacted me out of the blue (he found me due to my current job and it's relatively high level within my industry) and told me he wants me to help him start a brand. It's not skateboarding related, I'm not that stupid, but it is in an industry almost as volatile and failure-prone. The guys sounds rich (doctor and property owner in many major US cities) and wants to throw money at this project.

So, if it comes to it I will take his money and do the best I can to start something for this guy, but in my heart I know it will probably fail and this dude will be fucked. However, I would like the freedom of it all, if it works.

Has anyone worked on this type of project before? All my life I've done the "right" thing and I'm old and poor (doing what I love, but I'd also love to buy a car) and I may be ready to be a bit of a scumbag. Don't get me wrong, I'll do my best to make it work, but my initial feeling is that this project will fail.

Stoked that I may have a new project and hefty salary; not stoked that maybe I'm turning into a cut-throat scumbag businessman.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #5473 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:32 AM »
3 days into quitting smoking, going p well havent really had too many nicotine cravings and ive probably made up for it with excessive snacking. one thing ill note is fuck me it feels like mike tysons used my lungs as a punching bag.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5474 on: March 14, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
A dude contacted me out of the blue (he found me due to my current job and it's relatively high level within my industry) and told me he wants me to help him start a brand. It's not skateboarding related, I'm not that stupid, but it is in an industry almost as volatile and failure-prone. The guys sounds rich (doctor and property owner in many major US cities) and wants to throw money at this project.

So, if it comes to it I will take his money and do the best I can to start something for this guy, but in my heart I know it will probably fail and this dude will be fucked. However, I would like the freedom of it all, if it works.

Has anyone worked on this type of project before? All my life I've done the "right" thing and I'm old and poor (doing what I love, but I'd also love to buy a car) and I may be ready to be a bit of a scumbag. Don't get me wrong, I'll do my best to make it work, but my initial feeling is that this project will fail.

Stoked that I may have a new project and hefty salary; not stoked that maybe I'm turning into a cut-throat scumbag businessman.

They're going to do it anyway and someone is going to get that money. If it isn't going to last you'll be free and have a new title and pay level. If it does last you'll be the guy who built the thing so you'll get more money.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #5475 on: March 14, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
3 days into quitting smoking, going p well havent really had too many nicotine cravings and ive probably made up for it with excessive snacking. one thing ill note is fuck me it feels like mike tysons used my lungs as a punching bag.
the three day mark is supposed to be a turning point, as i recall. u got it baby

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5476 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're going to do it anyway and someone is going to get that money. If it isn't going to last you'll be free and have a new title and pay level. If it does last you'll be the guy who built the thing so you'll get more money.

SFB mostly covers everything but I will say I have 100% been where you are and had the same misgivings going in. I tried very hard to explain why the business venture was a bad idea and that the investor should keep his money and enjoy the business he wanted to get into as just a fan. However, I couldn't talk them out of it and it meant at least a new title for me so I went with it.

I have never seen such a complete disaster and it went about as badly as could be expected. The whole thing maybe lasted 4 months and we literally had less sales then you could count on one hand. The new venture wound up putting a financial strain on the investors other business and people other than myself were laid off at the end of it. Do your best but plan for it to go badly and have an exit strategy going in.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5477 on: March 15, 2019, 04:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

SFB mostly covers everything but I will say I have 100% been where you are and had the same misgivings going in. I tried very hard to explain why the business venture was a bad idea and that the investor should keep his money and enjoy the business he wanted to get into as just a fan. However, I couldn't talk them out of it and it meant at least a new title for me so I went with it.

I have never seen such a complete disaster and it went about as badly as could be expected. The whole thing maybe lasted 4 months and we literally had less sales then you could count on one hand. The new venture wound up putting a financial strain on the investors other business and people other than myself were laid off at the end of it. Do your best but plan for it to go badly and have an exit strategy going in.

Yeah that last paragraph is a good and important one one. If you do it don't take your parachute off. I worked on this thing a few years ago that was supposed to be a big multi million dollar advertising push but I knew from the beginning it wouldn't work. I did my job anyway, took my money, and went "aw that sucks cya" when things went how I expected. The studio lost like 70% of their billing and eventually went out of business but I made it out okay.

beatifk

« Reply #5478 on: March 15, 2019, 06:24:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't tried to talk him out of it directly, but I've mentioned many times that this will cost a lot of money and our competitors will always have more money, more resources, more clients, etc. but the guy doesn't seem to care, he wants to do it.

Did it effect your ability to find jobs afterwards? How did you explain that you started a company and ran it into the ground in such a short time to potential future employers?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5479 on: March 15, 2019, 07:43:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't tried to talk him out of it directly, but I've mentioned many times that this will cost a lot of money and our competitors will always have more money, more resources, more clients, etc. but the guy doesn't seem to care, he wants to do it.

Did it effect your ability to find jobs afterwards? How did you explain that you started a company and ran it into the ground in such a short time to potential future employers?

Don't try and talk them out of it. Why? These are businessmen trying a new business and that has inherent risk. They know that I'm sure and if they don't that isn't your concern. Your concern should only be what is in whatever you sign with them. Your role, responsibilities, liabilities, and compensation. That's it and that's all. If operational people were ruined by failed businesses Silicon Valley wouldn't exist. If you have a senior role or whatever, that's what future employers will care about. Doesn't matter if the CEO or whoever ruined everything.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5480 on: March 15, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
are you trying to start a clothing company or something cuz ya that’s dumb

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #5481 on: March 15, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
Are you starting a flavored toothpick/golf tee company ? Cause I heard the markets oversaturated

beatifk

« Reply #5482 on: March 15, 2019, 10:34:52 AM »
it's cheeseburgers, but we could do a collaboration with a toothpick/golf tee company to hold our giant burgers together while they are tee'd off of...

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5483 on: March 15, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
it's cheeseburgers, but we could do a collaboration with a toothpick/golf tee company to hold our giant burgers together while they are tee'd off of...

That's for sure going out of business but you shouldn't worry about it. Food service/restaurant/whatever does not work out 99% of the time and you will be blameless for it. Don't worry about their investment going away that's life. Make some money.

beatifk

« Reply #5484 on: March 15, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »
It's not really. I worked in a startup restaurant as a server and it was a fucking joke. Restaurants of any type are a thankless grind. Especially now with yelp and people demanding to see managers at every business they set foot in for no reason other than that they want to complain and get free shit.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5485 on: March 15, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shaped slick right? That was a good one. Never saw it in the stores. Congrats for having it for a time.

always loved that deck

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #5486 on: March 15, 2019, 10:42:55 PM »
Food service/restaurant/whatever does not work out 99% of the time and you will be blameless for it.

Reminds me of that one time where this dude set up business two blocks up the street from my mom's house when I was a kid. Small town in the middle of the sticks with nothing ever going on, mind you. He basically set up some kind of hut at a busy red light that he was trying to sell fries from and that was it. Probably worked pretty hard and forked out money to get his official status, licensing, right to set up camp publicly etc., still two or maybe three days in his hut fucking caught on fire and burned down. Nobody ever saw the dude again.

Similarly, the only other sketchy hut in town to sell street food here happens to be Luy-Pa Sin's father's all-time favorite kebab place. It's really not that good at all.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:48:53 PM by silhouette »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5487 on: March 17, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
I finally know who to blame for those tiles with the bumps all on them

Seiichi Miyake

Stoked i have a name, still not stoked on those damn things

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5488 on: March 17, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
I finally know who to blame for those tiles with the bumps all on them

Seiichi Miyake

Stoked i have a name, still not stoked on those damn things

Are you talking about blind bumps? If so, do you know why they are everywhere? I don't get why sidewalk transitions on crosswalks have them.

Edit: Never mind I did a something search and saw the doodle video. The reason is in the name.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:17:57 PM by jakeumms »

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5489 on: March 17, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »
So blind people know where the street is/ they don't get hit by cars?