Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945364 times)

krookedjuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10440 on: December 12, 2023, 09:24:57 AM »
finally got around too watching Beau Is Afraid.

it sure was something. i am a much bigger fan of weird movies that aren't super easy to tell whats going to happen and i can definitely say this fits in that category

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #10441 on: December 12, 2023, 10:52:49 AM »

it sure was something. i am a much bigger fan of weird movies that aren't super easy to tell whats going to happen and i can definitely say this fits in that category

It’s a little funny how everyone just kind of forgot that movie even existed.   Ignored in the theater and no real digital or streaming release that I’ve seen and I’m someone who pays attention to that stuff.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #10442 on: December 13, 2023, 05:24:25 AM »
Godzilla: Minus one

Great, great movie. Im not a big fan of any hollywood Godzilla movie, and have probably never seen any of those japanese or animated ones, but this one is great. Go watch it in the cinema if possible, good stuff.

PaulHarwood856

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10443 on: December 13, 2023, 07:01:19 AM »
 Just caught "Dopeflix & Chill" last night. Seriously, it was a wild ride—great plot twists and killer soundtrack. Highly recommend it if you're into a mix of comedy and drama.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #10444 on: December 13, 2023, 09:02:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s a little funny how everyone just kind of forgot that movie even existed.   Ignored in the theater and no real digital or streaming release that I’ve seen and I’m someone who pays attention to that stuff.

This was by far Ari Aster's most challenging watch, but holy shit...  I don't want to spoil anything, but "the music drop" towards the end had my dying!  I enjoyed it, but can see how some thought it was masturbatory.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10445 on: December 13, 2023, 08:24:30 PM »
Rewatched the 1973 The Wicker Man. Awesome movie I couldn't recommend more

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10446 on: December 14, 2023, 08:27:20 PM »
American Fiction is Reaally Good

I want to like the Holdovers more, but it’s weighed down by the main student.   The actor makes the kid too much of a piece of shit that he kinda ruins my mood every time he’s on screen.   Thankfully Giamatti is there to counteract most of it

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10447 on: December 14, 2023, 09:27:23 PM »
Anyone here ever seen Strange Days with Ralph Phiennes? It's like blade runner x some other weird universe and I absolutely fucking loved it

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -523
« Reply #10448 on: December 14, 2023, 10:14:02 PM »
Anyone here ever seen Strange Days with Ralph Phiennes? It's like blade runner x some other weird universe and I absolutely fucking loved it

Yeah it’s good.  If you like that maybe try children of the lost city

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10449 on: December 14, 2023, 10:29:52 PM »
I just started watching Warrior on prime.
Supposed to have been inspired by Bruce Lee's ideas or something.

It's pretty wild. I've always been into martial arts stuff. I used to skip school to go blaze watch Kung Fu the Legend at the homies house. Go back for last period. Slang some shit at the butt  line.

My highschool was an ill skate spot. Like legendary. In the late 80s we even had a wooden diy on a foundation with a mini ramp and everything. Box jump ramp.

They remodeled it in the 00s. It's ruined.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #10450 on: December 15, 2023, 06:30:17 PM »

it's in both my top scifi and angela bassett lists

Just caught "Dopeflix & Chill" last night. Seriously, it was a wild ride—great plot twists and killer soundtrack. Highly recommend it if you're into a mix of comedy and drama.

I don't see this listed anywhere. This is a movie called dopeflix & chill?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 06:37:08 PM by botefdunn »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10451 on: December 18, 2023, 10:18:07 PM »
Zone of Interest.   Wow.   

Got a little nervous in the beginning that it was going to be some indulgent Cimino-esque 1st hour of Deer Hunter or Heavens Gate and there was some funky stuff going on with the 35mm projector that I wasn’t sure was part of the narrative or not, but once I settled, I was fucking in.    Also, Bill Burr was in the audience which amuses me for some reason

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10452 on: December 18, 2023, 10:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's in both my top scifi and angela bassett lists

Expand Quote
[close]

I don't see this listed anywhere. This is a movie called dopeflix & chill?

Steve Berra used to be married to that girl
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10453 on: December 18, 2023, 11:56:19 PM »
Zone of Interest.   Wow.   

Yeah, a good one to catch in a theater, if possible

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10454 on: December 18, 2023, 11:57:34 PM »
Poor Things and Saltburn were both more entertaining and substantive than I imagined going in.  Both seemed like homework to me but I was quite wrong.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10455 on: December 19, 2023, 12:09:49 AM »
Poor Things and Saltburn were both more entertaining and substantive than I imagined going in.  Both seemed like homework to me but I was quite wrong.

There’s Something I just hate about Jacob Elordi makes me willing to wait for Prime release on Saltburn

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #10456 on: December 19, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There’s Something I just hate about Jacob Elordi makes me willing to wait for Prime release on Saltburn

If you want to hate him even more, check out Small Engine Repair.. 

Hot Rod

• Rep: 9
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10457 on: December 19, 2023, 03:41:23 PM »
EYES WIDE SHUT is a holiday season staple for me and I finally got the chance to see it on a big screen on Sunday. Got a little stoned and sat up close- an absolutely incredible time at the movies.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -425
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10458 on: December 19, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »
Had a great time with the Marvels.   Probably shortest MCU movie (1:45 including credits) but didn’t feel short and felt like a Comic Book movie.   

Just rewatched team America world police for the first time since high school. Superb film, maybe my favorite of all time

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1174
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10459 on: December 20, 2023, 10:48:26 AM »

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #10460 on: December 22, 2023, 08:32:43 PM »
EYES WIDE SHUT is a holiday season staple for me and I finally got the chance to see it on a big screen on Sunday. Got a little stoned and sat up close- an absolutely incredible time at the movies.

You in Philly? I got tix for it Thursday night, but I think it was showing here this past Sunday as well

Silent Partner is a solid movie in general, but another good Christmas time movie in particular
I love Elliott Gould, Christopher Plummer is creepy as hell in it, and there's some cool shots of late 70s Toronto in it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10461 on: December 23, 2023, 06:10:47 PM »
Wonka was a real good time also a fun scavenger hunt for UK comedian/tv actors.   At least 5 Peep Show (Sophie, Big Suze, Dobby from top of head), bunch of Boosh and Ghosts guys too.   

Only real complaint was not enough Hugh Grant

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #10462 on: December 23, 2023, 09:25:13 PM »
2004 dawn of the dead still mostly works

But gat dang if that rebel moon thing isn't the biggest pile of dogshit ive attempted to watch this year (and most likely the last few years apart from those army of dead things). Taken me three tries and still only halfway thru. So fukn tedious, shit you've seen a thousand times before, doesn't even look nice at all does that thing he always does where only about an inch of the screen is in focus at any time.
Also falls into my least favourite category of who the fuck is this even for. It's dumb like something that was made for children but then has people getting stabbed and shot in the head in super slow mo constantly. Fukn ten mins of some guy taming a big crow like it's a scene from never ending story or something

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10463 on: December 23, 2023, 09:36:52 PM »

But gat dang if that rebel moon thing isn't the biggest pile of dogshit ive attempted to watch this year (and most likely the last few years apart from those army of dead things). Taken me three tries and still only halfway thru. So fukn tedious, shit you've seen a thousand times before, doesn't even look nice at all does that thing he always does where only about an inch of the screen is in focus at any time.
Also falls into my least favourite category of who the fuck is this even for. It's dumb like something that was made for children but then has people getting stabbed and shot in the head in super slow mo constantly. Fukn ten mins of some guy taming a big crow like it's a scene from never ending story or something

This was supposed to be his pitch for a star wars originally.   (I’m still going to watch it bc I have to know)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #10464 on: December 23, 2023, 10:16:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This was supposed to be his pitch for a star wars originally.   (I’m still going to watch it bc I have to know)
I can 100% see that. There's bits in what I've seen so far that are just straight out of star wars. Not a spoiler because it's so early but there's also a character that is literally just a nazi. Like forget the empire meant to be a version of Nazis this guy just might as well straight up have a swastika on his arm.

it's still a kinda shitty pitch too. What if seven samurai was in star wars...like sure it could work but literally every war movie could work as a star wars

Hopefully I'll make it to the end tho. I need to find some Australian movie called the Osiris child. I think that was also basically meant to be a new star wars but was kind of a dud. Would be interesting to compare

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10465 on: December 24, 2023, 11:58:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I can 100% see that. There's bits in what I've seen so far that are just straight out of star wars. Not a spoiler because it's so early but there's also a character that is literally just a nazi. Like forget the empire meant to be a version of Nazis this guy just might as well straight up have a swastika on his arm.

it's still a kinda shitty pitch too. What if seven samurai was in star wars...like sure it could work but literally every war movie could work as a star wars

Hopefully I'll make it to the end tho. I need to find some Australian movie called the Osiris child. I think that was also basically meant to be a new star wars but was kind of a dud. Would be interesting to compare

Haha I saw the Nazi in the trailer and a lightsaber looking thing.   Seven Samurai isn’t a terrible reference point, but I feel like Rogue One already touched near that genre type.   Star Wars is based on Hidden Fortress as many know, so I kinda wished they went a little deeper with a Kurosawa reference (and the longest movie I’ve ever seen that spends the least amount of time with a villain)

I think it would be cooler to see Takashi Miike do his version of a Star Wars that will never get made than Zach Snyder - but whatever keeps him from adapting Ayn Rand I guess

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10466 on: December 25, 2023, 11:59:38 AM »
The Iron Claw was incredibly good. Zac Efron was on some Joaquin Phoenix level acting. Get ready to break down and shed tears if you watch it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10467 on: December 25, 2023, 05:26:49 PM »
The Iron Claw was incredibly good. Zac Efron was on some Joaquin Phoenix level acting. Get ready to break down and shed tears if you watch it

The movie that is so depressing they actually had to cut family members out to keep it from being too big of a bummer

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10468 on: December 25, 2023, 05:27:36 PM »
If you’re looking for a brain dead family movie that has a surprising amount of laughs: Family Switch on Netflix

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10469 on: December 25, 2023, 06:08:11 PM »
I want to like the Holdovers more, but it’s weighed down by the main student.   The actor makes the kid too much of a piece of shit that he kinda ruins my mood every time he’s on screen.   Thankfully Giamatti is there to counteract most of it

Just got out of this and I gotta agree. I fell asleep three times and was not ecstatic about the actor playing the main student character either. Idk that he came of as a p.o.s., per se, just kind of simple and not believable or deep, maybe. Kept wondering if I would have enjoyed it more with one of the "Stranger Things" boys in the role. Seemed like the film overall kind of moved at a snail's pace. For me, this doesn't measure up to "Nebraska".

As for good movies, watched this last week, still holds up

« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 06:32:57 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"