Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 142143 times)

YMCMB and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #870 on: December 26, 2021, 05:32:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You’ve got very good points there IMO. Great analysis with good illustrations. I am an engineer but not a mechanical engineer so my opinion probably isn’t any more valid than yours though.

I am still very tempted by these but with all these issues I’m hearing about I’m more inclined to wait it out a bit longer as I’ve still got plenty of Aces to go through and there’s still no 8.75” option.
[close]

Thanks man! I’m really used to make informative illustrations alongside my design techpacks to explain  ideas, it’s one of the things I enjoy the most on my job.  ;D

Expand Quote
Either new standard lurpivs or he just changed it.

[close]
Just got told from a highly reliable source that from Monday onwards all Lurpivs are coming stock like that. Supposedly people will get sent new kingpins too, not sure if you just need to ask or they are forwarding them on their own. Either way I’m stoked. It’s the only thing holding those trucks back from being awesome.
[close]

Are they the same kingpins, just flipped over? Or is a different kingpin entirely that we have to ask for. While I don't suffer from all these kingpin issues that everyone else is talking about, having the option of a normal kingpin with a normal nut diameter would be nice.
[close]

Obviously I have no real info, but if it's the same pin just flipped around, i.e not press-fit like every other normal kingpin truck, that'd be a bandaid on a bullet wound kind of solution. A merely snug fitting bolt that's not pressed in will wiggle and distort the plate real quick, not to mention loosening up all the same, just visibly. They'd probably be better off sending replacement baseplates with the pins already pressed in, like those Indy replacement plates. And if they are supposed to be pressed in with splines and everything, that might be a bit much for some people to wanna do on their own.

From Filip Almqvist's aka "IllyFilly" instagram:

It looks like it's essentially the same pin, just flipped and cut shorter.
but one thing I tried to do when I disassembled my truck was to flip it and try to slide it in. It actually doesn't go though, at least easily (I didn't try to hammer it). My guess is that the baseplate hole tapers a bit to prevent it from sliding and get a snug fit. So, it should get fairly snug, and hopefully not wobble or loosen itself...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #871 on: December 26, 2021, 07:01:02 AM »
If these were German trucks, we'd be having a different conversation, imo.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #872 on: December 26, 2021, 08:03:32 AM »

Idk bro, Scanias are pretty sick.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #873 on: December 26, 2021, 09:42:07 AM »
What if they were putting the kingpin upside down by accident the entire time in production and when they noticed it was wrong, just went with it instead of fixing it in the first place?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #874 on: December 26, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »
What if they were putting the kingpin upside down by accident the entire time in production and when they noticed it was wrong, just went with it instead of fixing it in the first place?

That'd be really funny if true, but I believe Sk.A.T.A.N said earlier in this thread the baseplate hole is tapered.  :-\
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

NE SEctor

• Rep: -22
« Reply #875 on: December 26, 2021, 10:17:06 AM »
Folded and bought a pair, im too curious. Anybody know whats good with shipping etas to the states right now ?

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #876 on: December 26, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »
fuck I only just set mine up and now I'm dreading the kingpin wobbling loose and dont even feel like skating the damn things

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #877 on: December 26, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »
fuck I only just set mine up and now I'm dreading the kingpin wobbling loose and dont even feel like skating the damn things

Dude, I feel you! When I got my set I posted on IG and Lurpiv shared on their account. A few mins later this kid hits me up with this wall of text complaining about the kingpins and with a video of them wobbling like crazy. Bummed me out instantly and I didn’t even got to try them at that point. Got me all concerned and now I keep checking the kingpins…  :(

If it helps, just message them already to get the new kingpins and keep skating the inverted ones in the meanwhile.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #878 on: December 26, 2021, 02:05:53 PM »
Seems like some loctite would do the trick.

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #879 on: December 26, 2021, 02:16:09 PM »
skated for an hour and the kingpin rattle started to set in. bugged me for abit until i realized i keep this on me

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #880 on: December 26, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »
I'm going to get the normal kingpins and run new Indy kingpin nuts on them. Maybe Indy axle nuts as well for tool compatibility. It does seem like the vast majority of the problems with the trucks stem from the nylock that is being used in the nuts. If the information some poster gave a few pages ago is true that these are manufactured by an aluminum company that normally has nothing to do with skateboards then that is probably the reason. These issues only start to become apparent when thousands of people test the trucks.

As far as the Gifted Hater video goes, to get a whole hanger to fall off you would have to run them stupid loose. Mine have at least 3 threads showing if I remember correctly. I definitely don't agree that these have some sort of heavy resistance before wheelbite, especially when loose. Even the axle outset, which is very similar to Indys will tell you they wheelbite. Ace Classics, which are inset more are much harder to wheelbite. I think that's an idea he got when he looked at the design of the pivot.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #881 on: December 26, 2021, 03:35:58 PM »
Seems like some loctite would do the trick.

Personally I think I'd try thread seal tape.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #882 on: December 27, 2021, 01:26:56 AM »
Now, time to get nerdy **cuffs up the sleeves**

Kingpin side of the story… I think this is where these trucks fall short. That thing just isn't well thought through imo.
I was actually nerding out on it with @PuffinMuffin and I think I understand now why the kingpin is flawed.

I think there's 2 factors holding them back. Quality of the nuts, and the kingpin design itself:

So, first: Nuts aren't great to start with. They feel like a soft aluminium and I actually almost fucked up one of them when putting my wheels on cause it engaged a bit crooked and then it was a pain in the ass to actually correct the screw and be able to screw it back again. I think this happened cause my tool doesn't fit properly the size of the nut (metric scale used on these versus the inch scale of skate tools). Stiiiill, it was the first time screwing them, brand new nuts and axle, kinda crazy how the nut stripped right away with me barely putting any force. After like 30 mins trying to screw it properly I managed to get it in and it seems tight, but kinda worried about the next time I need to take the wheels off tho...
From what others said the Nylock isn't great either, which might explain why the kingpin gets loose with the vibration/impact and starts coming off. Which leads to my next point:

Second flaw: The kingpin gets thinner at the bottom to fit the same bolt size used on the axle.
On the pic bellow I'm holding the Kingpin nut against the axle one, it's same nut, same exact size:

This sounded really smart at first, consolidating parts, but after a deeper analyses I realised that the looser you have the trucks, the less contact you have between the baseplate and the kingpin. This makes it more prone to "boring out" the hole and getting a loose and wobbly kingpin.
I made this quick illustration on top of the X-ray of the Lurpivs I found on instagram (posted a few pages ago) to illustrate what I think it happens:

So the kingpin is the most stable when tight to the max. I filmed this quick video to show what I mean. The deeper it is the tighter it gets (that's what she said  8) ). But for the loose trucks crowd this is a big concern.

Also made this quick one to illustrate why I think that (in theory) a consistent width kingpin would make it less prone to boring out the hole and have a wobbly kingpin:

No sure if all of this makes sense, I ain't a engineer but as a product designer I like to analyse those things and figure how shit works...

I hope Lurpiv either finds a fix for this or just ditches the inverted kingpin altogether. (I actually saw them posting in the IG stories the other day someone that put a regular kingpin in them, so I might try to play around that later if they start giving me problems)
Tbh I always rode normal kingpins my whole life, and as a heavy smith/feeble fan I never felt the need of an inverted kingpin. Brings more problems than it solves as everyone can tell.

So, to conclude, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of my pair for now, it's a super fun ride. But I only had like 3 seshes in them yet (covid got me paused   :'( ).
It's not long enough to fell any drastic problem, altho I can see a slight kingpin wobble already. (or it's other people's complaints messing up with my head)... Let's see.
I think there's so much potential for this trucks to be amazing, honestly the most "comfortable" trucks I ever tried geometry wise. Lurpiv, get your shit together dawg, I wanna keep riding them!

Mechanical engineer here and i can confirm it makes a lot of sense.
Popularizing like a boss
Less cylindrical contact can lead to play and making the hole bigger in the end
Shitty Kingpin Nylock certainly doesn't help (getting looser and adding vertical play on top of that)
At the same time it could have something to do with the hardness of the baseplate material especially around the kingpin well (could be something related to the process when poured in the mold).
The geometry might play a role here too.

Sidenote, being European i'm a metric guy and hate the imperial system. I'm confused about the decision of going metric for the hardware. Should they conform to consensus (all trucks are imperial) or go metric ?
Our tools are imperial...

i'm stoked on an european made truck and i'm still thinking a lot about getting a pair.
It's probably too early. You can't make a perfect truck first try
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 02:11:41 AM by BALARGUE »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #883 on: December 27, 2021, 02:30:06 AM »

german engineering is a myth. we mostly produce useless copycat trash nowadays or luxury goods no one in their right mind can afford. german factories are actually bought up by us companies cause germany offers cheap labor. that's why you get a lot of domestic shit for a mark up. for example harry razors are made in germany, but they are way cheaper in the us. they literally cost twice as much over here. german cars are also more expensive to us to the point it might make sense to reimport a volkswagen from the us cause you might be able to save money. it's absolute bullshit.

i'd trust a volvo a thousand times more than any german brand. nevermind that if you drive a fucking benz good luck finding an affordable mechanic and parts for it. you're better off driving a french car.

a typical german truck would probably not even allow you to adjust the kingpin, it would arrogantly claim this is the only right way to ride any truck. and probably force you to buy some weird proprietary bearing due to a custom axle diameter just to be extra annoying. also the trucks would be made out of glass and come with instructions not to be mounted on actual skateboards but rather to be used as conversational coathangers.

mbam003

« Reply #884 on: December 27, 2021, 03:59:49 AM »
Mechanical engineer here and i can confirm it makes a lot of sense.
Popularizing like a boss
Less cylindrical contact can lead to play and making the hole bigger in the end
Shitty Kingpin Nylock certainly doesn't help (getting looser and adding vertical play on top of that)
At the same time it could have something to do with the hardness of the baseplate material especially around the kingpin well (could be something related to the process when poured in the mold).
The geometry might play a role here too.

Sidenote, being European i'm a metric guy and hate the imperial system. I'm confused about the decision of going metric for the hardware. Should they conform to consensus (all trucks are imperial) or go metric ?
Our tools are imperial...

i'm stoked on an european made truck and i'm still thinking a lot about getting a pair.
It's probably too early. You can't make a perfect truck first try

Oh boy. Wouldn't this mean the standard kingpins will just snap or rattle because there is no cylindrical contact?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #885 on: December 27, 2021, 07:22:57 AM »
Can't say i have the definitive answer
But my opinion is that a replacement kingpin isn't going to solve it in the long term

It seems they need a rework somewhere

BMCsteve

• Rep: 56
« Reply #886 on: December 27, 2021, 08:17:14 AM »
I think this is proof that any company designing a new truck should pick a few neurotic psychopaths from Slap to product test.  I assume all of these issues happened to Oski but most pros really don’t care if they have bent axles and loose kingpins.  He could rip the same on a pair of kreepers

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #887 on: December 27, 2021, 08:25:52 AM »
But my opinion is that a replacement kingpin isn't going to solve it in the long term

Think that's inevitable. If they wanna go the traditional kingpin route, they have to have a pin that's going to interface along the entire depth of the baseplate, and be pressed in properly, like every other truck brand. Really no getting around that. Having just the head of the bolt sorta pressed in where the IKP nut would go isn't going to cut it for the life of the truck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #888 on: December 27, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
How would engineers miss this? It seems like a fairly obvious potential flaw especially if we’re spost to trust their advanced casting and axle design methods.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #889 on: December 27, 2021, 09:54:48 AM »
Ok, nice to know I ain’t fucking crazy  ;D

@BALARGUE Don’t you think that by having the kingpin flipped it will alleviate the stress on the baseplate? Cause now the “cylindrical contact” will be at its max at all times…
I think we just have to try it and see how it will work in the long run.

I was also wondering if you could just hammer in a normal kingpin with the standard splines? Or would that require a hydraulic tool?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #890 on: December 27, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
How would engineers miss this? It seems like a fairly obvious potential flaw especially if we’re spost to trust their advanced casting and axle design methods.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with their IKP design, it's just a materials thing (which you're right, shoulda been picked up in any kinda beta testing). The mechanics of it are no different than older Krux or Kreper/GK and those worked well-enough for a long ass time. It's not perfect. Even Indy's super over-designed mid IKP shows that on principle they loosen up easier than a traditional kingpin. The pin on a IKP is always going to be "floating" between the bushings and nylock, and move way more than a traditional pin that's mechanically bonded to a baseplate.

The better solution would be to source better nuts and maybe tweak the machining of the bolt (closer to what Sk.A.T.A.N mocked up in the diagram above) rather than make a sorta-kinda traditional kingpin that isn't splined in.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:28:06 AM by palelight »

mbam003

« Reply #891 on: December 27, 2021, 11:12:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Think that's inevitable. If they wanna go the traditional kingpin route, they have to have a pin that's going to interface along the entire depth of the baseplate, and be pressed in properly, like every other truck brand. Really no getting around that. Having just the head of the bolt sorta pressed in where the IKP nut would go isn't going to cut it for the life of the truck.

My new revised strategy will be to run them with the stock reversed kingpins and medium tightness just as I always have. If the kingpin nuts crap out and loosen I will replace them with good ones that I was mailed, if that doesn't work, I will superglue them in and if that doesn't work I will complain to Lurpiv. Won't even touch the standard kingpins they are sending out now - just sent them an additional email that I won't be needing them.

There was a picture of Oski's Ace setup in a thread, which had a decent amount of kingpin threads showing. So he most likely rides medium to tight trucks because he goes fast and needs the stability. The Lurpivs may not have been properly tested in an insanely loose setup like some prefer (does Kader ride stupid loose?). I will admit I have had no issues with the Lurpivs at all besides the nylock on the axle nuts being crap, which was mostly an aesthetic concern. Interesting thing is the Indy kingpins don't go all the way to the bottom of the baseplate either?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #892 on: December 27, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My new revised strategy will be to run them with the stock reversed kingpins and medium tightness just as I always have. If the kingpin nuts crap out and loosen I will replace them with good ones that I was mailed, if that doesn't work, I will superglue them in and if that doesn't work I will complain to Lurpiv. Won't even touch the standard kingpins they are sending out now - just sent them an additional email that I won't be needing them.

There was a picture of Oski's Ace setup in a thread, which had a decent amount of kingpin threads showing. So he most likely rides medium to tight trucks because he goes fast and the trucks may not have been tested in an insanely loose setup (does Kader ride stupid loose?). I will admit I have had no issues with the Lurpivs at all besides the nylock on the axle nuts being crap, which was mostly an aesthetic concern. Interesting thing is the Indy kingpins don't go all the way to the bottom of the baseplate either?

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I just meant the splines of a pressed-in kingpin, whether Indy or any other brand, interface with the full depth of the kingpin hole, not the depth of the entire baseplate, my bad.

mbam003

« Reply #893 on: December 27, 2021, 11:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There was a picture of Oski's Ace setup in a thread, which had a decent amount of kingpin threads showing. So he most likely rides medium to tight trucks because he goes fast and the trucks may not have been tested in an insanely loose setup (does Kader ride stupid loose?). I will admit I have had no issues with the Lurpivs at all besides the nylock on the axle nuts being crap, which was mostly an aesthetic concern. Interesting thing is the Indy kingpins don't go all the way to the bottom of the baseplate either?
[close]

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I just meant the splines of a pressed-in kingpin, whether Indy or any other brand, interface with the full depth of the kingpin hole, not the depth of the entire baseplate, my bad.

Got it! :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #894 on: December 27, 2021, 11:39:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There was a picture of Oski's Ace setup in a thread, which had a decent amount of kingpin threads showing. So he most likely rides medium to tight trucks because he goes fast and needs the stability. The Lurpivs may not have been properly tested in an insanely loose setup like some prefer (does Kader ride stupid loose?). I will admit I have had no issues with the Lurpivs at all besides the nylock on the axle nuts being crap, which was mostly an aesthetic concern. Interesting thing is the Indy kingpins don't go all the way to the bottom of the baseplate either?

Kader rides fairly tight IIRC when he was on Indy he always rode the blue or black bushings cranked a bit. There was some screen capture a while back that showed some threads showing on his Ventures, which for me would be tight and I’m bigger than he is.

Same with Oski- he posted his fresh deck once and you could see he rocked both risers and a couple threads showing on his Ace’s

mbam003

« Reply #895 on: December 27, 2021, 12:08:53 PM »
Kader rides fairly tight IIRC when he was on Indy he always rode the blue or black bushings cranked a bit. There was some screen capture a while back that showed some threads showing on his Ventures, which for me would be tight and I’m bigger than he is.

Same with Oski- he posted his fresh deck once and you could see he rocked both risers and a couple threads showing on his Ace’s

Good observations! Which leads me to think that riding the Lurpiv stock inverted kingpins with medium tightness will be the most sound choice from both engineering and longevity standpoints. That is what I have done and will oontinue to do. Riding them very loose is sketch for sure. At the end of the day if your trucks are so loose that your hanger flies off without any warning sign then your setup was probably pretty reckless. I think I have heard of the kingpin nut coming undone with regular kingpins too. Pretty sure I saw someone here recommending putting the kingpin nut on with the nylock down for safety ;D

Anyway Lurpiv now has the task to improve the product based on the feedback. To anyone reading these dicussions in awe - in my opinion online discussions between hobbyists should be taken with a slight pinch of salt. Talks of catastrophic failure points are overblown. I ride them in a pretty gnarly park and again have had no issues. The pop actually feels really good, possibly even better than Indys. I was among the first people to receive them so I had no prejudice either. If anything, the big news is the 9-stair guy bending a pair. That could be a sign of the hanger design not being able to withstand heavy impacts like other brands (which bend too under the right circumstances).

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #896 on: December 27, 2021, 01:14:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good observations! Which leads me to think that riding the Lurpiv stock inverted kingpins with medium tightness will be the most sound choice from both engineering and longevity standpoints. That is what I have done and will oontinue to do. Riding them very loose is sketch for sure. At the end of the day if your trucks are so loose that your hanger flies off without any warning sign then your setup was probably pretty reckless. I think I have heard of the kingpin nut coming undone with regular kingpins too. Pretty sure I saw someone here recommending putting the kingpin nut on with the nylock down for safety ;D

Anyway Lurpiv now has the task to improve the product based on the feedback. To anyone reading these dicussions in awe - in my opinion online discussions between hobbyists should be taken with a slight pinch of salt. Talks of catastrophic failure points are overblown. I ride them in a pretty gnarly park and again have had no issues. The pop actually feels really good, possibly even better than Indys. I was among the first people to receive them so I had no prejudice either. If anything, the big news is the 9-stair guy bending a pair. That could be a sign of the hanger design not being able to withstand heavy impacts like other brands (which bend too under the right circumstances).

I think this can be also due to the type of testing they doing. I don't know the technical terms, but it's a quite different type of force applied when you jump down a stair set (quick burst of forte applied in the moment of impact) to a like a hydraulic machine trying to bend the trucks (long and continuous force applied) like they were doing on a IG post a few days ago.
Dunno what's the actual difference cause I didn't study that shit, kinda just guessing...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #897 on: December 27, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
For this type of manufactured items, they usually put them under different stresses (impact / progressive forces for example). I don’t see them not doing all sorts of stress tests and defining limits for characteristics they consider acceptable (and find the balance between cost and durability).
Can be a faulty aluminum batch, shit happens
Or design which is more problematic

Sending replacement classic kingpins seems odd.
It just says: our IKP doesn’t work yet for some reason

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #898 on: December 27, 2021, 02:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think this can be also due to the type of testing they doing. I don't know the technical terms, but it's a quite different type of force applied when you jump down a stair set (quick burst of forte applied in the moment of impact) to a like a hydraulic machine trying to bend the trucks (long and continuous force applied) like they were doing on a IG post a few days ago.
Dunno what's the actual difference cause I didn't study that shit, kinda just guessing...

You only saw one test on IG

That only means they filmed and posted one test.

I mean they are stress testing. They have a range of tests to conduct. Do you seriously think they only did that one test ? Seriously?

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • Get bent
« Reply #899 on: December 27, 2021, 02:37:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This ^^^^^ nine stair guy still kills it with the bent ass truck. If your hyped on them your hyped on them, don’t let someone else’s experience deter you, only reason I posted said pic was to let show everyone what my friend was dealing with, not to make anyone feel silly for buying trucks
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog