Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 142024 times)

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #1230 on: March 13, 2022, 08:03:40 PM »
I don't own these trucks but I wanted to share this.
Yesterday i met a guy in a park and I realized that he is riding the lurpivs. So I talked to him and asked him how he likes them because i was considering to try them out.
He told me that he already has a replacement truck because one of his hangars broke in half.
So we went back to skating and an hour later, this happens. He tried something over a small kicker, nothing really big.. I think these trucks are dangerous..

this makes me so sad to see.. i hope oski can kill it with a lurpiv 2 and doesnt just call it. like the rest of people on here really wanted to see them succeed.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1231 on: March 13, 2022, 08:43:24 PM »
They probably are not doing too hot after having to send out so many failed replacements. So what now? They do a V2 like a normal truck and at least you get the grind and turn, but do they also give them to the people that originally ordered? And how does the company afford to do such a thing since these probably aren't selling well at this point with all the public negative feedback?

slothrop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #1232 on: March 13, 2022, 09:46:16 PM »
i mean none of that looks good but surely you would think oski woulda experienced some of this stuff prior to release   its not like he is a low to the ground type skater hope some of these things  are rare. i gotta  say ive been loving  mine no issues so far. if they do go the way of the dodo are ace af1 the most similar?

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

manysnakes

« Reply #1233 on: March 13, 2022, 10:09:13 PM »
Yikes. Ends of the axles putting internal stress on the center of the hanger maybe? They should just recall these suckers at this point.

I don’t think it’s internal stress, otherwise we’d see the crack forming as a stress riser emanating from the end of the axle.

IpathCats

« Reply #1234 on: March 14, 2022, 10:16:46 AM »
i mean none of that looks good but surely you would think oski woulda experienced some of this stuff prior to release   its not like he is a low to the ground type skater hope some of these things  are rare. i gotta  say ive been loving  mine no issues so far. if they do go the way of the dodo are ace af1 the most similar?

Nah Indy standards or Hollows with the regular cast plates will be the most similar to Lurpivs

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1235 on: March 14, 2022, 01:14:33 PM »
It’s not that crazy to have a single pair snap out of however many tens of thousands? Just looks absolutely awful in conjunction with the kingpin and nuts issues which are clearly design flaws.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

manysnakes

« Reply #1236 on: March 14, 2022, 01:42:41 PM »
It’s not that crazy to have a single pair snap out of however many tens of thousands? Just looks absolutely awful in conjunction with the kingpin and nuts issues which are clearly design flaws.

It’s the standard way most trucks seem to crack when they fail prematurely. I agree that it doesn’t look good but this sort of failure is hardly unheard of.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1237 on: March 14, 2022, 02:37:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s the standard way most trucks seem to crack when they fail prematurely. I agree that it doesn’t look good but this sort of failure is hardly unheard of.
What I find worrying is that when this happens, there is no axle to maintain the pieces together, and if I understand correctly (maybe not?) it happens twice to the same customer. I think there is even enough ways to break yourself while skateboarding to add another one.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1238 on: March 14, 2022, 03:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What I find worrying is that when this happens, there is no axle to maintain the pieces together, and if I understand correctly (maybe not?) it happens twice to the same customer. I think there is even enough ways to break yourself while skateboarding to add another one.

That is true, I guess a full axle would just help to keep some structure instead of a clean snap.

I’m not too sure what’s the benefit of the split axle, other than it doesn’t axle slip. I thought about saving weight, but actually might be similar because the 2 short axles they use are thicker inside the hanger:

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1239 on: March 14, 2022, 04:02:21 PM »
I’m not too sure what’s the benefit of the split axle, other than it doesn’t axle slip. I thought about saving weight, but actually might be similar because the 2 short axles they use are thicker inside the hanger:

Me neither. Based on the picture I think some grams were actually shaved with this split axle, but really few in my opinion. Not a smart design choice for sure.

Well, they tried it...

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #1240 on: March 14, 2022, 09:32:58 PM »
Does every size truck have the same size axle inserts? Would a wider truck be more likely to snap because it has more space between the inserts?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1241 on: March 15, 2022, 07:43:22 AM »
It does axle slip if you think about it a lot of the bent axle cases are from it slipping in the hanger and oval using the casting. Happened to my friend with both his axles. He emailed Lurpiv just to tell them and they sent him new trucks that he doesn’t want but feels bad giving away to a kid

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1242 on: March 15, 2022, 08:21:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure, but let's admit it's not the same scenario when there's no through-axle to maintain basic integrity when it happens. This is anecdotal, but I don't think I've seen a normal hanger prematurely fail and shear the axle clean off with it. Obviously a truck can snap off at the pivot point, but at least you have the kingpin tension maybe keeping you from completely eating shit.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #1243 on: March 15, 2022, 09:02:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For sure, but let's admit it's not the same scenario when there's no through-axle to maintain basic integrity when it happens. This is anecdotal, but I don't think I've seen a normal hanger prematurely fail and shear the axle clean off with it. Obviously a truck can snap off at the pivot point, but at least you have the kingpin tension maybe keeping you from completely eating shit.

Pretty sure I've seen a video of @DaleSr snapping an Indy on a flatground ollie. Probably a fluke though.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1244 on: March 15, 2022, 09:06:03 AM »
I often think about this post (and a few posts higher up he broke another pair of new Krux).

The fact that Krux still exists gives me hope that Lurpiv is able to get their shit together and I can buy a really solid second version.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1245 on: March 15, 2022, 09:11:05 AM »
the difference is that nhs makes a fuckton of money
indy bread alone has allowed krux to exist since its inception
lurpiv doesnt have that muscle, basically a startup
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1246 on: March 15, 2022, 09:57:19 AM »
The Krux thing is gnarly and very comparable for sure (such an awful design). There's also a pic floating around here with Thunders snapped clean off at the pivot. So that shit does happen.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48056.msg2124164#msg2124164

I don't wish failure on the company by any stretch, but trying 3 pretty novel things right from jump, with no easy way to fix them without serious overhauls, eehhh... I was on the fence after the kingpins not staying put, but seeing the axle inserts slipping around (or pulling out) here and a bunch on ig, I'm good. I do hope they can pull it around for a V2, still love the aesthetics.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1402
« Reply #1247 on: March 15, 2022, 01:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty sure I've seen a video of @DaleSr snapping an Indy on a flatground ollie. Probably a fluke though.

It was cracked all the way through and was only holding on through the grace of a half ground down axle

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1248 on: March 15, 2022, 01:48:14 PM »

These were my third pair of Thunders that did this during 14 years of skating. I've actually cracked more trucks than decks during those 14 years. Defects happen but that Lurpiv hanger is fucked

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #1249 on: March 15, 2022, 02:03:18 PM »
Y’all are wild, all I’ve ever done is break a kingpin once in the late 90’s when that was very common place; break boards like a mother fucker tho.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1250 on: March 20, 2022, 01:59:50 PM »
Ride the best ;D

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1251 on: March 20, 2022, 02:31:26 PM »
Y’all are wild, all I’ve ever done is break a kingpin once in the late 90’s when that was very common place; break boards like a mother fucker tho.

In highschool and especially college. (03-11) I was breaking kingpins on everything. Thunder, destructo, venture, reflex, krux, silver, Orion, and phantom 2s.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1252 on: March 20, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In highschool and especially college. (03-11) I was breaking kingpins on everything. Thunder, destructo, venture, reflex, krux, silver, Orion, and phantom 2s.

Same.

I wonder if I was just skating a whole lot harder back then (compared to how easy I take it nowdays) or if there were other issues or factors at play.

My trucks used to be a whole lot tighter than they are now, so that might also have had something to do with it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

diplodocus

• Rep: 163
  • long neck
« Reply #1253 on: March 20, 2022, 05:21:09 PM »
Other trucks break, sure. But think of the volume of trucks thunder, indy, or ace make. They must make 25 trucks for every 1 truck Lurpiv makes. The more you make, the higher chance of getting a critical failure on a truck. Just a numbers game at that point, cause manufacturing will always have a chance for defects. I'm just saying this is not a good look for Lurpiv, who makes less trucks. I would expect higher quality control for lower order volumes. They also charge 90 something for trucks. Just as a consumer, higher price I would expect higher quality, especially when it is double the price of standard forged trucks, even if they are a new brand.

Idk.. I want this to be successful, but from the kingpins, to this, I think Oski is in for a tough road ahead. The truck business is hard to get into for a reason...

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1254 on: March 20, 2022, 08:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same.

I wonder if I was just skating a whole lot harder back then (compared to how easy I take it nowdays) or if there were other issues or factors at play.

My trucks used to be a whole lot tighter than they are now, so that might also have had something to do with it.

Weirdly happy to hear this. I brought up breaking kingpins every other week a while ago and everyone was like wtf are you talking about. Also used to break venture and Indy stage 9 baseplates constantly. Possibly to do with trucks being tighter but I also rode my shit daewon loose and it didn't seem to make a difference. I think kingpins just got better. theeve came out then as soon as thunder started making 149 i switched to those then back to Indy I think stage 10 or 11 and never broke a kingpin since.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1255 on: March 20, 2022, 10:45:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same.

[close]

Weirdly happy to hear this. I brought up breaking kingpins every other week a while ago and everyone was like wtf are you talking about. Also used to break venture and Indy stage 9 baseplates constantly. Possibly to do with trucks being tighter but I also rode my shit daewon loose and it didn't seem to make a difference. I think kingpins just got better. theeve came out then as soon as thunder started making 149 i switched to those then back to Indy I think stage 10 or 11 and never broke a kingpin since.

Yep, still playing catch up from all the baseplates that broke through the middle areas of Indy Stage 9s, with almost too many hangers here at one point, but I have been recycling lots of newer baseplates that are more solid and work now, so it is not such a big deal.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1256 on: March 20, 2022, 10:47:07 PM »
Indy kingpins used to snap if you look at them for too long

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1257 on: March 20, 2022, 11:50:17 PM »
I agree, in the 90s a sesh was often cut short if you or someone else didn‘t bring extra kingpins, which we usually did.

As for Lurpiv, I guess all failures are meticulously reported on Slap because they are new, whereas the failures of other trucks are not or don‘t provoke the same outrage. There is a dude in a general truck thread whose Indy axel snapped neat at the hanger. Nobody thinks Indy is doomed because of that.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1258 on: March 21, 2022, 12:24:04 AM »
I agree, in the 90s a sesh was often cut short if you or someone else didn‘t bring extra kingpins, which we usually did.

As for Lurpiv, I guess all failures are meticulously reported on Slap because they are new, whereas the failures of other trucks are not or don‘t provoke the same outrage. There is a dude in a general truck thread whose Indy axel snapped neat at the hanger. Nobody thinks Indy is doomed because of that.
Yes sure people are more critical of new things but this is also a lurpiv specific thread. If there was an Indy specific thread you'd probably see a lot more about their faults. Also Indy is almost too big to be doomed. Your local McDonald's could give some people food poisoning and McDonald's as a company will probably be ok whereas a local burger place gives a bunch of people food poisoning theyre in a bit more trouble. (Yes I know it's not a perfect comparison)

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1259 on: March 21, 2022, 02:27:01 AM »

Yea and it was the titanium ones.. exact same thing happened to my friends standard indys last week ,3rd session on them practicing tre flips on flat.