Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945357 times)

Kook Me Amadeus

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10140 on: August 14, 2023, 08:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Silence of the Lambs (first time watching finally)
The Drop (as mentioned above)
[close]
Do you think you'd go to the cinema to see silence of the lambs these days?
[close]

idk Jodie Foster  8)
I'd say it holds up good enough
Maybe?
[close]
I think it def holds up as a good movie I watch it every year  but it's just also the movie I have in my head as the example for great movies that nobody would go to the cinema to see if it came out today. But I wouldn't mind being wrong
[close]

I feel like it wouldn’t get made in its current form as a major studio film, maybe independently and through a smaller distributor, but more likely as a limited series.  I think its path to getting a big theatrical audience today would be to market it more as a horror film, and to downplay its procedural elements.  Sort of how Haunting in Venice is being positioned in materials as horror, without highlighting the fact it’s another Poirot film.  Look at Fincher, he’s been mostly pushed to the small screen when it comes to his crime/investigatory projects.
[close]

Well fincher like Scorsese make very costly films that don’t necessarily make their money back but are good feathers in your cap, which is why streaming companies like them.   Fincher had 3 pilots at HBO going, but he wouldn’t come down on the cost or be flexible so they all failed and he just stopped doing Mindhunter bc he didn’t want to devote time to it anymore.   

But on SotL, it’s very hard to strip it if it’s cultural mark.   To remove it from its time would reconfigure movie history and trends.   Is Manhunter the only other instance of Hannibal Lecter then?   Does Seven get made?  True crime craze?  It’s also the last movie to win the Big Five - Director, Picture, Script, Actor, Actress, so that’s a lot of alchemy to reconfigure.    A mid00s Fincher + Amy Adams would have been a good start,

It’s not a story that necessarily needs to be a movie.   Hannibal the show showed you can mine that source material in a serialized format and it was touching on the Clarice stuff towards the end as much as they were legally allowed to show.

(The story would also be tweaked some what bc gay person being a twisted killer was barely cool in the early 90s.   Basic Instinct had protests because of it)

Your examples about Scorcese’s films underperforming and Fincher working with HBO sort of prove my point, the films don’t make money because tastes have changed and those quality experiences are found on streaming services more often than they appear in the theaters.  I’m not saying delete SOTL from history, just looking at the trends of now- and it seems we agree a story of this kind in today’s marketplace would be better served as a series.  Not necessarily a hot take, and there’s a few filmmakers who in the right circumstances could get it greenlit as a movie, but it’d be a long shot to be produced at the $19M budget it got back then ($40M today).

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #10141 on: August 16, 2023, 06:37:19 AM »
The Verdict (1981) with Paul Newman.    I guess it’s underrated bc you don’t hear about it in convos of the great, but I know it’s taught along with the best directed films

GS77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #10142 on: August 16, 2023, 06:50:39 AM »
The Verdict (1981) with Paul Newman.    I guess it’s underrated bc you don’t hear about it in convos of the great, but I know it’s taught along with the best directed films

Seen it. Don’t remember it, but I recall a strange helicopter scene with Jack Ward who plays the judge. Also, an alcoholic lawyer (Paul Newman).

I love Sydney Lumet movies. He may be the greatest director of the 70s and made one of my all time favorite movies…Serpico.

Network was a prediction that stands up today.

And, one day, I have to sit down and watch Prince of the City.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10143 on: August 16, 2023, 07:11:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seen it. Don’t remember it, but I recall a strange helicopter scene with Jack Ward who plays the judge. Also, an alcoholic lawyer (Paul Newman).

I love Sydney Lumet movies. He may be the greatest director of the 70s and made one of my all time favorite movies…Serpico.

He had an insane run in the 70s…. Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon etc

Murder on the Orient Express never got around to that one, but anything Albert Finney is in I’m game for.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10144 on: August 16, 2023, 07:34:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jack Warden is his co-council and no helicopters - you might be thinking of And Justice For All

Someone once said Network wasn’t a good movie, but like 3-4 god level scenes that propped up the rest of a weak movie…I’ll let that be a discussion point…

…(But I will say that I think Babylon can be viewed the same way, but suffers under a significantly longer runtime)

GS77

« Reply #10145 on: August 16, 2023, 07:55:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jack Warden is his co-council and no helicopters - you might be thinking of And Justice For All

Someone once said Network wasn’t a good movie, but like 3-4 god level scenes that propped up the rest of a weak movie…I’ll let that be a discussion point…

…(But I will say that I think Babylon can be viewed the same way, but suffers under a significantly longer runtime)

You are correct. It was And Justice For All but I have seen both and I liked them both at the time I saw them.

In HS I was basically an insomniac and I would watch Turner Classics at 2 in the morning.

I have seen Network many times and it gives me chills just thinking about it. Specifically Faye Dunaway’s character. The idea of the ice queen from the holding company (basically Viacom). The speech about globalization from Ned Beatty.

I look at 70s movies as stage productions. The films are so well paced and character rich that I can forgive the stuff the director and team missed on like the Black Panther scenes in Network.

Dog Day is a fun, surprising and entertaining film also…

Never heard of Babylon but will look it up now. Do you mean the 2022 movie? I’m sort of out of the loop with new movies, but I’ll investigate. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 08:05:36 AM by GS77 »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10146 on: August 16, 2023, 08:04:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You are correct. It was And Justice For All but I have seen both and I liked them both at the time I saw them.

In HS I was basically an insomniac and I would watch Turner Classics at 2 in the morning.

I have seen Network many times and it gives me chills just thinking about it. Specifically Faye Dunaway’s character. The idea of the ice queen from the holding company (basically Viacom). The speech about globalization from Ned Beatty.

I look at 70s movies as stage productions. The films are so well paced and character rich that I can forgive the stuff the director and team missed on like the Black Panther scenes in Network.

Never heard of Babylon but will look it up now.

Oh I like Paddy Chayefsky a lot, so I don’t begrudge anything in network, it just thought it was an interesting thought

Babylon was the massive flop from last year with Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie.   For my money, there are three scenes that are just so damn well constructed that I was down for everything else.   

GS77

« Reply #10147 on: August 16, 2023, 08:12:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh I like Paddy Chayefsky a lot, so I don’t begrudge anything in network, it just thought it was an interesting thought

Babylon was the massive flop from last year with Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie.   For my money, there are three scenes that are just so damn well constructed that I was down for everything else.

I was not familiar with the author but just read part of his Wikipedia. Imagine what Paddy would think if he came back and watched Fox News, MSNBC and CNN?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10148 on: August 16, 2023, 08:15:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was not familiar with the author but just read part of his Wikipedia. Imagine what Paddy would think if he came back and watched Fox News, MSNBC and CNN?

He has the most Oscars for original screenplays (3)

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #10149 on: August 16, 2023, 01:06:55 PM »
I watched today sun and concrete today and can really recommend it. It's a German coming of age movie
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 01:15:32 PM by WavyDavy »

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10150 on: August 16, 2023, 02:54:29 PM »
Michael Crichton’s The Great Train Robbery (1978) with Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland is another underrated movie.  I feel like Soderbergh found some inspiration for Ocean’s Eleven in that one.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10151 on: August 16, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »
Michael Crichton’s The Great Train Robbery (1978) with Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland is another underrated movie.  I feel like Soderbergh found some inspiration for Ocean’s Eleven in that one.

I’d totally check that out if I didn’t recently watch the BBC two ep (cops and robbers) version.   Assuming it’s the same robbery

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10152 on: August 16, 2023, 03:19:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’d totally check that out if I didn’t recently watch the BBC two ep (cops and robbers) version.   Assuming it’s the same robbery

Different robbery, I think.  The tone is also sort of comedic, it’s a fun watch.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10153 on: August 16, 2023, 03:33:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Different robbery, I think.  The tone is also sort of comedic, it’s a fun watch.

Saw a top hat so I guess that settles it that it  is different.  One is a great robbery of a train and the other is a robbery of a great train

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10154 on: August 16, 2023, 03:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Saw a top hat so I guess that settles it that it  is different.  One is a great robbery of a train and the other is a robbery of a great train

It was released as The First Great Train Robbery in the UK.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10155 on: August 16, 2023, 03:48:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah that’s interesting

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10156 on: August 16, 2023, 05:05:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah that’s interesting
That does look pretty good. I always skipped it based on the fact that I thought it was Chrichton doing some kind of meta film take with a remake of the very first narrative film ever. And then I was like man fuck this surgeon! I may have a Chrichton directs blind spot.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10157 on: August 17, 2023, 03:08:16 PM »
My good buddy wrote Blue Beetle so give it a watch or spare an A-List ticket for it and don’t actually go

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10158 on: August 17, 2023, 03:35:54 PM »
Got my 🔵🪲 🎟️.  Based on what I’ve previously seen in trailers, it certainly adds a layer of depth to learn a singular human actually wrote that.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10159 on: August 17, 2023, 03:54:01 PM »
Got my 🔵🪲 🎟️.  Based on what I’ve previously seen in trailers, it certainly adds a layer of depth to learn a singular human actually wrote that.

Yeah obviously studio notes yadda yadda but he survived it being the only writer.  Not even uncredited ones

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #10160 on: August 17, 2023, 05:03:49 PM »
can't even remember at this point

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10161 on: August 18, 2023, 09:54:26 AM »
Finally saw Oldboy.  20th anniversary so its in theaters right now and would definitely recommend if you like absolutely fucked revenge stories

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10162 on: August 18, 2023, 10:52:46 AM »
Finally saw Oldboy.  20th anniversary so its in theaters right now and would definitely recommend if you like absolutely fucked revenge stories

i brought my daughter to it.  we had a good time

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10163 on: August 18, 2023, 12:00:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is sick…. Always wanted to do this. Very fond memories going to the cinema with my ma’. Getting soft in my old age lol

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10164 on: August 18, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
:-X
[close]

That is sick…. Always wanted to do this. Very fond memories going to the cinema with my ma’. Getting soft in my old age lol

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #10165 on: August 19, 2023, 09:31:19 AM »
Arsenic and Old Lace. On a big Cary Grant kick lately.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10166 on: August 19, 2023, 11:50:34 AM »
Arsenic and Old Lace. On a big Cary Grant kick lately.

This movie is amazing. I'd love to be able to catch a showing of it as a play too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #10167 on: August 19, 2023, 12:36:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

damn lol

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10168 on: August 19, 2023, 12:39:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Oh wait…. I just got it hahahaha I’m embarrassed

Whoosh

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10169 on: August 19, 2023, 02:21:35 PM »
Theater Camp was actually really good, one of the better/funnier things I’ve seen this year.  Wish I’d gotten to that one sooner.

Also Blue Beetle was better than I expected.  It was silly but also pretty entertaining.  The audience really enjoyed it - lots of Latinos in my theater - it got big applause at the credits.  Props to your buddy @Atiba Applebum.

The Last Voyage of the Demeter was only watchable because André Øvredal is a solid visualist, but the script was really clunky.

Jules had the opposite problem.  Though I ultimately enjoyed it, Marc Turtletaub isn’t really a director, and I had to go see Oppenheimer again afterwards to get my eyes right.