Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 364810 times)

mindfuzz, Monolithic Flick and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

elbarto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #240 on: November 27, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm making an el deez pick of the week song in a style no one's touching.

You will definitely know it's me when (if) you hear it even if you haven't heard me croon before
[close]

are you doing a hardcore version? Cuz I've thought about doing that for awhile, haha
[close]

Full 2 stepping intro

Agnostic front ish

Very stoked to hear this if they actually play it hahaha
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -139
« Reply #241 on: November 27, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »
The conversation with tony ferguson about his different clips on his last episode was amazing. Especially when Jeron talked about crying. They are at their best when interviewing old LA heads.

I agree it was a great episode, no where near as good as the latest BUNT episode with Hugo Baleek, also Tony Ferguson is from Vancouver, but i do agree the best ones are when the guest is a local or friend, same goes with The BUNT (they're just consistently better Bunting)

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #242 on: November 27, 2020, 01:49:44 PM »
You guys do hype the bunt up a bit much. Its better as a podcast but they need to man up and front some cameras if they want to bring it to the nine club fully.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -13
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2020, 02:37:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Took me awhile to put my finger on it.
They have let their “characters” become their identity. Nothing interesting, just bad acting.

I blame steezus, most inauthentic non-skater to infiltrate our beloved brotherhood.
[close]

this is half right in my opinion.

its not steezus by himself (i like steezus), its too many flavors on the plate. too many people jumping in, too many opinions,  the show is kind of mushy.  i don't really feel "connected" to them any more. i don't listen as hard anymore.  i like all of these guys individually but together its too much.  the show is cluttered and the episodes blend together.   

the trinity of CRob as a guiding star, Rog as the grounded straight-man, and kelly as the feelgood relief was perfect. the balance was great. the flavors were sharp.  it was easy to understood their relationships and opinions.  they each had there very distinct personalities and it was easy to learn which voice to follow.   

adding LD  to the second show worked because he's really good at understanding when less is more.  he knew when to fall back, and how to let the show flow around him.  he was very defined and complemented the others. 

putting on steezus on when LD wasn't there was great.   it felt fresh and new.  He was a nice funny surprise.  Very different than LD but great in his own way,  unlike LD he moved the flow of the show, kept it feeling sharp.  Steezus was also great at pushing the show to be more "professional" and engaging the fans and egging on fan contributions. he added real value. I credit him with pushing the "second" show past the main show in content quality.    However adding Steezus full time made the mic a little crowded.  it was hard to know whose voice to follow.  there was a lot of voices being pushed down. a lot of half finished sentences.  there was less opportunity to build a para-social relationship with the people you were listening to (which is where the show excelled the most ) but the show was still working and working very well. 

When Jeron started filling in as a guest host, it was a cool surprise and didn't disrupt too much because it was still 4. Jerons episodes were like a "special adventure episode" .  you were being introduced to your friends' friend and that was cool.  it was a nice break from the regularity and it was manageable.   Adding him full time though made the issue of overcrowding into a real problem.  it completely drowned one of the most valued voices out of the equation.  No ones voice could come to the surface.  It no longer feels like Chris' show.  it no longer had direction and personality.    its just a "bunch of dudes hanging out" which sounds great in concept-- but doesn't make for compelling listening.  on top of that  Jeron bridges all the personalities together too closely.  he lessens the separation between the voices and opinions which makes it even more mushy.   

the other issue is that the bunt is getting better and better and better.  this season of the bunt is by far the most listenable season to date. the voices are crisp, the separation of personality is clear,  Cephas and Donovan are flowing together cleaner than ever, the pacing is perfect. They never step on each other.  they are bringing out the best in each other.  that show is a sauce that's simmered and reduced down to perfection. its flavor is so clear.   with the bunt growing up and improving so dramatically its hard not to notice the issues the 9club is having.

when the show first started i was a fan.  a big fan.  i was a patreon member, i bought the merch. it was first priority podcast when episodes came out.  i 'engaged" with the show.  i looked forward to new episodes.  i slowly fell off right around the time Jaron was coming on as a regular because i don't feel like i'm missing anything if i miss a show or two.   I'm still a fan and i think the show will continue to be one of the marquee skateboarding podcasts for years to come.  i'm absolutely not saying "fire everyone" and go back... but i am hoping that once the lock down ends Chris will do a main show with just the trinity and play with with substitutes and line ups for the second show.  Maybe make the big get together a once a month thing and rotate out one or two of the other 3 every week.
[close]

Damn dude, you fucking nailed it. Also sounds like I need to finally check out the Bunt. I listen to a TON of podcasts during work. So I'm always on the hunt for more.
[close]

Would highly recommend the Mostly Skateboarding podcast if you’re in search of fresh material.
[close]

Highly recommend Mostly Skateboarding. They’re very nerdy and have a different vibe that’s worth checking. They just dropped an episode today with Greg Hunt.

I always enjoyed mostly skateboarding, until your guy Patrick Kigongo joined as a regular. Mans right up there with Steezus in the insufferable ranks

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2020, 03:13:40 PM »
I like the nine club

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »
I watched the clip of them talking about Tom Knox's part. I thought it was interesting Chris was heaping heavy praise on Blueprint and Lost and Found at the end (having insight about something outside the south Cali bubble), only for Kelly and Steezus to think Rattray was in that and not be corrected.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »
I likes the Nine Club, but recently stumbled upon Schmitty talkin.

Kelch,Salman, Ray Simmonds, Jordan Richter...

Some great conversations.

https://talkinschmit.com

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2020, 04:22:22 PM »
Used to be a big fan but can't help but notice each episode that I end up just skipping through to the parts where they watch a couple of videos dropped.. and still get second hand embarrassment at chris trying to pronounce basic names and then make a joke about getting a coffee next to a spot instead of skate it..

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2020, 05:45:15 PM »
I like turtles.

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #249 on: November 27, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2020, 10:28:10 PM »
I recently checked out 5 or 6 episodes of The Bunt after seeing it get so much love on here. I thought it was just okay. I'll definitely keep listening but it doesn't flow very well. The questions feel pre-written which makes the interviews disjointed. I get the appeal, the hosts have great personalities but sometimes at the expense of crowding out their guest.

Crob et al are vanilla but that's not a bad thing for an interview show. Guests on the 9 Club often speak uninterrupted at length which is a hard thing to pull off as a host. Treating them with kid gloves and getting them to feel comfortable is a big factor in making that happen. Big personalities are given the space to do their own thing (Marc Johnson and Dill's episodes are good examples) and if someone wants to talk shit it's not like they get stopped. I prefer that to someone being prodded into firing off a controversial hot take for a soundbite.

I do think the 9 Club has suffered a bit from not having guests in studio, but going back to older eps reminds me of why the formula worked.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2020, 10:52:48 PM »
You guys do hype the bunt up a bit much. Its better as a podcast but they need to man up and front some cameras if they want to bring it to the nine club fully.

Why would they? They’ve had better sponsors for years and all they have to do is record a FaceTime call a few hours a week. Nine club makes a huge production for basically no reason cause they never even learn anything cause it’s all their friends. Bunt dudes are out here getting free beer , clothes, and matty Mattheson food for talking to skaters they actually enjoy and take time to do a little research to ask questions people want answered.

I could give a fuck a less about what part of the valley some 90s LA dude Chris and them knew is from.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

50 Lions

• Rep: -57
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »
At this point "The Bunt" is a much more superior skateboard podcast, The Nine Club already is starting to feel bland

I love the bunts content, but they try so hard to be tough guys. Swearing has never sounded so forced

Massivebellend

• Rep: -13
« Reply #253 on: November 28, 2020, 01:38:23 AM »
Expand Quote
At this point "The Bunt" is a much more superior skateboard podcast, The Nine Club already is starting to feel bland
[close]

I love the bunts content, but they try so hard to be tough guys. Swearing has never sounded so forced

Crob & Eldy actually swear much more than the buntboyz, they even made a bit out of it and Eldy swore a fucktonne in one episode

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #254 on: November 28, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
imagine watching the nine club, and thinking its cool

smh.
Fr lol. The bunt makes me cringe too when i hear the one guys forced voice stillll ugh. I choose the episodes selectively it has to be even worth it

doublesteveburger

« Reply #255 on: November 28, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
people who don’t take cepha and donovans voices/cadence with a grain of salt are thick, it’s in jest ya dingus’

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #256 on: November 28, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »
Get sizzla in there

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2020, 11:38:18 AM »
people who don’t take cepha and donovans voices/cadence with a grain of salt are thick, it’s in jest ya dingus’
It’s hilarious people are taking that shit so seriously.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »

Why? They don't even do face to face interviews most of the time. I don't need to sit still and watch these cunts sitting in their bedrooms facetiming for 2 hours. Throw that shit on while you're doing something else, yadig?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2020, 02:32:54 PM »
I recently checked out 5 or 6 episodes of The Bunt after seeing it get so much love on here. I thought it was just okay. I'll definitely keep listening but it doesn't flow very well. The questions feel pre-written which makes the interviews disjointed. I get the appeal, the hosts have great personalities but sometimes at the expense of crowding out their guest.

Crob et al are vanilla but that's not a bad thing for an interview show. Guests on the 9 Club often speak uninterrupted at length which is a hard thing to pull off as a host. Treating them with kid gloves and getting them to feel comfortable is a big factor in making that happen. Big personalities are given the space to do their own thing (Marc Johnson and Dill's episodes are good examples) and if someone wants to talk shit it's not like they get stopped. I prefer that to someone being prodded into firing off a controversial hot take for a soundbite.

I do think the 9 Club has suffered a bit from not having guests in studio, but going back to older eps reminds me of why the formula worked.

Crob and the boys have had some success with their format and I've enjoyed some episodes immensely. Andy Howell and Ian Michna are two that stand out for me. But their format gets old and you can tell they just shy away from anything controversial, which is fine, but it gets boring. Also, some of their guests have literally nothing interesting to say and their kid-gloves and zero research approach does very little to get a guest to open up. It's also really annoying to hear Crob talk about how he barely skates. Like, we get it, you're a lazy pro that doesn't actually love to skate but you ended up with it as your job, so you do it. That being said, I have been enjoying his recent stoke on curb skating. Hope it continues.

Some of the bunt questions are pre-written and that's a good thing. It means they did research and have pointed questions to make for an interesting interview. They do a shorter format than the 9 club, so it make sense to have pre-written questions so that interview time is used effectively. They also let them go off if the guest wants to. I also like that the Bunt doesn't seem to pander to the industry nearly as much. The nine club is often just one insulated cali skater talking to another insulated cali skater, and they both have no idea what the rest of the world is like, even if they travelled a bunch.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Crob and the boys have had some success with their format and I've enjoyed some episodes immensely. Andy Howell and Ian Michna are two that stand out for me. But their format gets old and you can tell they just shy away from anything controversial, which is fine, but it gets boring. Also, some of their guests have literally nothing interesting to say and their kid-gloves and zero research approach does very little to get a guest to open up. It's also really annoying to hear Crob talk about how he barely skates. Like, we get it, you're a lazy pro that doesn't actually love to skate but you ended up with it as your job, so you do it. That being said, I have been enjoying his recent stoke on curb skating. Hope it continues.

Some of the bunt questions are pre-written and that's a good thing. It means they did research and have pointed questions to make for an interesting interview. They do a shorter format than the 9 club, so it make sense to have pre-written questions so that interview time is used effectively. They also let them go off if the guest wants to. I also like that the Bunt doesn't seem to pander to the industry nearly as much. The nine club is often just one insulated cali skater talking to another insulated cali skater, and they both have no idea what the rest of the world is like, even if they travelled a bunch.

I agree with a lot of the points you're making about the 9 Club and those flaws get magnified without the chemistry of in studio interviews.

The Bunt guys definitely do their homework which is one of the best parts of the show, but that's not what I mean by pre-written questions. I think it's great that they have a general outline for how the discussion will flow, it's more that the questions feel like they are being read word-for-word off of a cue card. If they ad-libbed them more I think it would help the show feel a lot more natural. That probably seems like a nitpick but it definitely stood out to me. 

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2020, 06:34:36 PM »
the nine club more like the stupid club

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

rukes

• Rep: 219
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #264 on: November 28, 2020, 09:54:42 PM »
Yeah the Nine club is probably done..Its time for the Ten Club baby!
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #265 on: November 28, 2020, 10:07:11 PM »
Yeah the Nine club is probably done..Its time for the Ten Club baby!

They'd make it the Sixty Nine Club.
I seriously want to puncture my eardrums when I hear those beaten-to-death soundbites on the experience.  Someone needs to destroy CRob's soundboard & make him watch. Maybe play the ridiculously long Kelly Hart laugh video while doing so.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2020, 06:29:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It’s hilarious people are taking that shit so seriously.

There's a big difference between being 'taking shit so seriously' and being annoyed by an annoying character. People can dislike something without caring much.

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2020, 05:46:17 AM »
Stevie still seems low-key mad about weck lol

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #268 on: November 30, 2020, 05:52:38 AM »
LOL comparing himself to Jordan is priceless. Sure, he is not promoting people on DGK so he can continue to pay himself, but no one else is suffering because Stevie is milking his own brand.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #269 on: November 30, 2020, 05:56:58 AM »
man this is a lot of words about podcasts