Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 364758 times)

Síota, jgonzalez, Shrimp, Sondor and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

WhoCareZ

Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2010 on: September 14, 2023, 09:22:11 AM »
The sad truth is that Crob and team aren’t influential enough to get Koston or Mullen on TNC, let alone celebrity skate fans, but Tony Hawk gets them on his podcast, which is objectively way worse than TNC

TNC is probably best to focus on having a mix of YT skate creators and up and coming core skaters on their show

rkulla

« Reply #2011 on: September 14, 2023, 09:35:04 AM »
The sad truth is that Crob and team aren’t influential enough to get Koston or Mullen on TNC, let alone celebrity skate fans, but Tony Hawk gets them on his podcast, which is objectively way worse than TNC

TNC is probably best to focus on having a mix of YT skate creators and up and coming core skaters on their show

Yet they've had Tony Hawk himself on the show... Weird assumption considering the show is still bringing in new guests all the time and Crob has interviewed Koston recently on 2 different occasions outside of the main nine club.  My guess is Koston will be on soon, and not sure why Mullen hasn't yet since Jeron knows him. Gives us something to look forward to even if it never happens :D

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2012 on: September 14, 2023, 11:06:06 AM »
Expand Quote
They definitely have said that many times, as well as how they don't like to get into arguments with guests because that would be a bad strategy to get more guests to come on and/or open up.
[close]

As a journalist, that seems like such a horrible take. Sure, if I just write about what my interviewees want to read about themselves, I'd probably be able to speak with a wide selection of people. However, I'd be writing the most basic, milquetoast stories without any level of depth. Getting a lot of different guests is important for the Nine Club, sure, but if there's no actual substance in the interviews, people are eventually gonna get bored. There's a difference between constantly argueing and annoying guests and being a perceptive interviewer.

They’re not journalists. It’s a talk show, not hard hitting news.

People seem to want the show to be something completely different from what it actually is.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OwlGreen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #2013 on: September 14, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They definitely have said that many times, as well as how they don't like to get into arguments with guests because that would be a bad strategy to get more guests to come on and/or open up.
[close]

As a journalist, that seems like such a horrible take. Sure, if I just write about what my interviewees want to read about themselves, I'd probably be able to speak with a wide selection of people. However, I'd be writing the most basic, milquetoast stories without any level of depth. Getting a lot of different guests is important for the Nine Club, sure, but if there's no actual substance in the interviews, people are eventually gonna get bored. There's a difference between constantly argueing and annoying guests and being a perceptive interviewer.
[close]

People seem to want the show to be something completely different from what it actually is.

If they would actually express an opinion on anything, ever, I think they'd make more money. I'd guess GH makes more per month from his patrons than 9C does from all their various revenue streams, despite having about a fiftieth of the production overhead and no one to split it with.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2014 on: September 14, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I'd guess GH makes more per month from his patrons than 9C does from all their various revenue streams, despite having about a fiftieth of the production overhead and no one to split it with.

Question is, will GH be able to keep 2,600 patrons longer than TNC can pump out 2 episodes/week?

TheDingus

« Reply #2015 on: September 14, 2023, 11:49:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If they would actually express an opinion on anything, ever, I think they'd make more money. I'd guess GH makes more per month from his patrons than 9C does from all their various revenue streams, despite having about a fiftieth of the production overhead and no one to split it with.

So the lesson here is; be a dickhead - make more money

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #2016 on: September 14, 2023, 02:59:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or the lesson is: dont completely ignore reality - make more money

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 17
« Reply #2017 on: September 14, 2023, 03:02:21 PM »
crob doesn't seem to do any research on guests before recording, its often embarrassing how little he knows about the people he has on the show
kinda insulting levels of ignorance seeing as the guests are bringing in the views and in turn the money in his pocket

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2018 on: September 14, 2023, 03:51:25 PM »
there are a number of very good episodes of the nine club. did any of you actually watch the O'dell or Colin Kennedy episodes? Those were insanely good even from a skate/skate history nerd perspective. if they interview a youtuber, i skip it, it's that easy. and personally, i think Crob has gotten better at doing prep and challenging guests a little bit post-Oblow.

I have no idea why some of you hate this show so much. the vitriol (and preachy GH dickriding) is crazy and way over the top.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #2019 on: September 14, 2023, 04:40:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or the lesson is: dont completely ignore reality - make more money

nine club should start a Patreon with more spicy hot takes?

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2020 on: September 14, 2023, 08:17:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yet they've had Tony Hawk himself on the show... Weird assumption considering the show is still bringing in new guests all the time and Crob has interviewed Koston recently on 2 different occasions outside of the main nine club.  My guess is Koston will be on soon, and not sure why Mullen hasn't yet since Jeron knows him. Gives us something to look forward to even if it never happens :D

So they haven’t had Koston or Mullen so that doesn’t validate them or make them influential compared to who they’ve had over 7 years? Hawk, Grosso, Mountain, MJ, Reynolds, Alba, Carroll, Stevie, JT, Rowley, J Lee and that’s still a fraction of guys of that caliber as well as a ton of current skaters that are at the top of the game. Granted they’re not always great interviews or somewhat boring at times but no one else has really gotten close to who they have had in that respect.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2021 on: September 14, 2023, 09:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So they haven’t had Koston or Mullen so that doesn’t validate them or make them influential compared to who they’ve had over 7 years? Hawk, Grosso, Mountain, MJ, Reynolds, Alba, Carroll, Stevie, JT, Rowley, J Lee and that’s still a fraction of guys of that caliber as well as a ton of current skaters that are at the top of the game. Granted they’re not always great interviews or somewhat boring at times but no one else has really gotten close to who they have had in that respect.
episode 300 is on the horizon, i know we were expecting a huge one for 200 (jacob rozenberg was still great) but, i really think they will drop a banger for episode 300. koston makes a lot of sense but i’m still praying for rocco or natas.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #2022 on: September 15, 2023, 04:28:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They definitely  >:(have said that many times, as well as how they don't like to get into arguments with guests because that would be a bad strategy to get more guests to come on and/or open up.
[close]

[close]

I mean, yes, I want it to be good? That would be strikingly different from what it currently is.
I think only one person has invoked "hard-hitting journalism" or whatever.

I just want some research, some self-awareness, some general competency.

It would be cool if the guys running the number one platform for talking to skateboarders with significant cache cultural relevancy and influence were, you know, good at it.
ok thanks

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #2023 on: September 15, 2023, 04:30:29 AM »
You good?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2024 on: September 15, 2023, 04:41:28 AM »
You good?

Is this about the 11 copies of the same post? haha. I kept getting some cloudflare database error. I was refreshing and apparently when I did it was reposting. I deleted all the rogue ones!
ok thanks

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #2025 on: September 15, 2023, 08:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
You good?
[close]

Is this about the 11 copies of the same post? haha. I kept getting some cloudflare database error. I was refreshing and apparently when I did it was reposting. I deleted all the rogue ones!

Haha yes, it was that. I was just hoping you weren’t turning into that dude that posted the same thing on Reddit over and over for months. Glad it was the site and not you.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2026 on: September 15, 2023, 09:16:32 AM »
Looks like O'Dell got to GH before NC:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2027 on: September 15, 2023, 09:22:23 AM »

my theory is old heads like GH more than teenagers

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #2028 on: September 15, 2023, 10:00:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

my theory is old heads like GH more than teenagers

I doubt that, I stopped watching his stuff because of all those meme jokes and tier level videos he was putting out...plus his knowledge of older eras/videos isn't great

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2029 on: September 15, 2023, 10:05:44 AM »
Can we get an update on Eldy’s Pick of the week or Steezus’ hiking career?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2030 on: September 15, 2023, 10:12:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You good?
[close]

[close]

Haha yes, it was that. I was just hoping you weren’t turning into that dude that posted the same thing on Reddit over and over for months. Glad it was the site and not you.

hahaah good looks pal. Gnar'd in appreciation lol.
ok thanks

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2031 on: September 15, 2023, 05:03:00 PM »
Was interesting gleaning some backstory regarding Crob’s decision to start milking it so hard

https://youtu.be/upY6A2qdcJ4?&t=8m30s

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #2032 on: September 15, 2023, 05:13:49 PM »
That’s a NO from me dawg

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2033 on: September 15, 2023, 06:27:43 PM »

They’re both full-time influencers.  Now you’re caught up.

professor pound cake

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2034 on: September 15, 2023, 09:23:39 PM »
idk man, i myslef really enjoyed th HERMANDAWG interview, lve that man, he is a role model to all that self sacrifice and hard wok pays off in the most chill way, i wish i was him!! !LOVE U HERMDAWG!!! UR MY SPIRIT ANIMAL BROTHER!!!!!!!!!<3

d0rk

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2035 on: September 16, 2023, 12:14:45 AM »
crob doesn't seem to do any research on guests before recording, its often embarrassing how little he knows about the people he has on the show
kinda insulting levels of ignorance seeing as the guests are bringing in the views and in turn the money in his pocket

You do realize that's the purpose of the show right?

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2036 on: September 16, 2023, 12:46:35 AM »
Now I find myself defending the show but there has been a clear change in approach by Chris to interviewing guests. I think the No research label was getting a bit too itchy even for him so he/they have started doing a bit of background research on their guests. Let’s not kid ourselves with the term deep diving. This is more like snorkelling in fairly shallow waters which is better than loafing on the sand and hoping to catch a glimpse.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #2037 on: September 16, 2023, 01:35:59 AM »
Roger is texting Chris during the show

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Free Max B
« Reply #2038 on: September 16, 2023, 04:38:34 AM »
Roger is texting Chris during the show
Roger really is the glue that’s hardly keeping 9club afloat. What the fuck does Steezus even do now? Does he still work somewhere that people actually call him Steezus?
Working the hat helpline for New Era hey this is Steezus how can I help you today which Lids location are you closest to?

Free max b
FREE MAX B

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2039 on: September 16, 2023, 07:37:00 AM »
Page 69, dudes! You think Chris is stoked? I bet Kelly is a little.