You buying sale decks or retail price?

Retail
34 (37.4%)
Sale
32 (35.2%)
Fred Gall
25 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: Who’s buying decks at retail?  (Read 1777 times)

ryanrockmoran

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Who’s buying decks at retail?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2024, 06:03:03 PM »
I almost always do.  Boards at my local are like 55-70 usually.  There are shop and clearance boards for 40 or so.  I would generally rather pay 15-20 more to get a board I like than whatever is in the clearance section.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2024, 07:20:56 PM »
Decks are normally retail from a core shop.
 Shoes, trucks, wheels, & bearings I scour the sales thread. Vans/Indy/Spitfire/Bones aren’t going out of business anytime soon.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2024, 07:36:13 PM »
Sale...even then, sale prices are still higher than deck prices just over a year or so ago.

Covid hit prices soared, things went back to normal and everyone said 'fuck it' they're still gonna pay....$75 for a generic BBS board shape with shit clipart/MS Paint graphics from 'Old Pro's New Board Co." F-that.

Props to Crail on prices.

Weeeeeeell, back in my day, son, decks were $49.99 for DECADES...

Shop smart.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 08:42:36 PM by Xen »

ElonMuskaBeats

• Rep: -14
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2024, 08:36:29 PM »
Somehow skateboarders don’t understand inflation. Cost of labor, materials, shipping etc constantly goes up and you expect the cost of a skateboard to be the same as it was in 1989? Realistically a skateboard should cost 100 bucks right now if you consider how many hands it has to go through to get to you. And all those hands need to make money to survive.

Dad Board

• Rep: 89
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2024, 10:08:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All I’m hearing is “fuck supporting the skate industry”. Buying sale decks helps no one but you. Maybe helps clear the skate shop rack of the crap no one wants, but margins on decks is so minute that that’s not even really supporting the shops. Skateboarding is dying again, so unless you don’t give a shit, go buy something at retail and help out the shops and companies so they can continue to  exist.
[close]

Take that holier than thou shit out of here. Most people ain’t got money like that these days and even if they did it’s none of your business how they spend it. When companies are charging $80 on average + grip for a board than maybe the industry should die again. I buy softgoods from companies I support at my local or online and blank decks straight from the distributor. Some people have dependents and a shit ton of bills and needs. Preach somewhere else
[close]

Industry should die again? Ok, youtube dude. Mom and pop skateshops are what will be dying.

i like the local skate shop and want it to stay open another 27 years, so they can keep the real shit alive for the next generations. Full price shop decks are still leas than the $52.50 we paid for years.

YouTube or not, I got a family and can’t justify spending $80 every 3 weeks on a board, if you got it like that more power to you. I still support the local shops and like I said, I buy soft goods from companies I support.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2024, 10:47:12 PM »
Somehow skateboarders don’t understand inflation. Cost of labor, materials, shipping etc constantly goes up and you expect the cost of a skateboard to be the same as it was in 1989? Realistically a skateboard should cost 100 bucks right now if you consider how many hands it has to go through to get to you. And all those hands need to make money to survive.

American made silkscreened reissues go for about $100-$150, depending on colors/passes. Modern popsicles use cheap wood, iron on graphics, existing shapes and molds and slave labor. Many are cheaper to produce now than then.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2024, 11:25:25 PM »
I see the companies correcting the market by increasing the price, but they are still sitting on a large supply.  The number of companies and the overall malaise of the buyers will pull the price back down…..they tried but they picked the wrong time.  The demand just isn’t there.  Moreover….the product is all the same. 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: Today at 12:41:55 AM »
I don't think I've ever paid retail in my adult life.
Usually I'll stack boards whenever I find a sale specially now that board prices went up like crazy. A Polar board used to be 1800 Kč and now is 2700 Kč (retail price ofc).
Once I'm done with the boards I have I'll start skating a friend little co for their retail price which is cheaper than boards from the US in sale.
Win/win
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #38 on: Today at 01:41:13 AM »
Way too poor to even consider buying full price

drinkwaterjamie

• Rep: 5
« Reply #39 on: Today at 02:01:44 AM »
Last time I bought a retail price deck was a Baker Casper Brooker Board when he first turned pro, I had a voucher to spend at a local and matched the rest. First board I ever snapped clean through within a week of having it, stuck to sale decks from then on

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #40 on: Today at 02:31:46 AM »
I bought a heated wheel egg (people mover) was close to retail (think the owner gave me 5 euro off or something) on skate shop day.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #41 on: Today at 02:45:21 AM »
I haven't bought a retail deck since I returned to skating. I've bought trucks and wheels etc new but I'm pretty skint so the cost is justifiable imo.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #42 on: Today at 02:50:45 AM »
I get more time to think about skating than actually doing it. Getting out once or twice a week normally gets me going through boards every 6-8 weeks so I don’t mind paying retail. Normally I end up wanting a specific shape and don’t feel like waiting for a sale, like when the easy rider AH blue eagle dropped I was fine paying full price for it. I have two kids and all the family stuff so I’m sure I could justify riding whatever crap is on sale but I get so few hours a week to skate I would rather not figure out a new shape if I couldn’t find mine on sale

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 18
« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:07:42 AM »

it's not hard to understand inflation, but board prices didn't go up until covid hit